Texas Hunting Forum

Old Lease member BS

Posted By: YellowDog

Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 10:26 PM

So how do you go about getting an old lease member to remove his blind and feeder? Kicked a lease member of the place back in April. Still has not removed blind or feeder. Keeps giving us the sad story. Can't find anyone to help move, family is having problems.
Posted By: RattlesnakeDan

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 10:30 PM

Find a buyer for the stuff and let him know you have someone willing to pay for it and they are going to come take it down.
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 10:35 PM

You might see if you can get other lease members to kick in a bit and buy his setup for use as a communal stand. Figure out a reasonable price and tell him to either sell it to the group, remove it within two weeks, or have it pulled down and dumped.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Find a buyer for the stuff and let him know you have someone willing to pay for it and they are going to come take it down.

Yep, bet miracle's will happen all of a sudden to get it picked up.
Posted By: garyrapp55

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by BayouGuy
You might see if you can get other lease members to kick in a bit and buy his setup for use as a communal stand. Figure out a reasonable price and tell him to either sell it to the group, remove it within two weeks, or have it pulled down and dumped.

At first I thought this to be the best idea then it hit me. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free? The group should just use the equipment now, call it rental fee.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by BayouGuy

At first I thought this to be the best idea then it hit me. Why buy the cow when you get the milk for free? The group should just use the equipment now, call it rental fee.

Yep, time to go radio silent. Just use it. Although, make everyone else aware - it could magically disappear. Change the combo/lock.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 11:08 PM

You have given plenty of time for him to pick it up. Change the locks and call it done.
Posted By: hetman

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 11:13 PM

what stand what feeder ? you mean you never picked them up? confused2
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 11:34 PM

Our lease contract gives you 60 days to pick up your stuff after the end of the lease if it's not renewed. After that you no longer own it.......
Posted By: Theringworm

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/05/19 11:56 PM

I had this same issue. I simply asked the landowner what should be done as the landowner himself had made several attempts at getting him to remove it. He said, “it’s all yours. Do with it as you please. The prior owner has been informed it was no longer his property as it was not removed when his lease contract was up.”
Posted By: ducknbass

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 12:11 AM

I'd just tell him it's off limits till season end now that season has started and not sweat it.
Posted By: Nightlight

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 12:59 AM

Go by the contract
Posted By: Dude Lebowski

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 01:02 AM

Possession is 9/10 of the law.🤪
Posted By: Whammer7

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 01:25 AM

Enforce the contract. That is what it is for.

Working around the contract sets bad precedent, makes about everything in the contract renegotiable, and opens you and yours up to future headaches you don't need or want.
Posted By: RGLass

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 01:46 AM

It got hit by lightning! Feeder and blind!
Posted By: brokenpole

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 01:50 AM

I got 50 bucks for both give me a PM
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 11:38 AM

What's the estimated value? Is this piece of crap quality stuff or nice, expensive equipment?
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 12:12 PM

I don't see the problem unless his equipment is in a location where a member would like to have his/her set-up.

Haul his stuff back to camp or easier location and tell him to grab it whenever confused2
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 12:45 PM

Almost 7 months??
Tell him you are going to sell his stuff if he does not get it
Give him two weeks like has been said
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 01:16 PM

Call and tell him you are going to charge him a storage fee.
Give him a week to come get it or the fee starts to double!
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 02:03 PM

Storage fee won't get anything accomplished. Sell it, keep it, give it away. Do whatever you want with it. He has abandoned, and therefore forfeited his property.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by titan2232
I don't see the problem unless his equipment is in a location where a member would like to have his/her set-up.

Haul his stuff back to camp or easier location and tell him to grab it whenever confused2

^^^^^^

This.

Give the guy the benefit of the doubt...(a bit longer). He might actually be having 'troubles' more pressing than retrieving the stand and feeder right now.

Also, it wouldn't hurt for a few of the other members to exercise the 'good Samaritan' principle and offer to assist the former member. He might be Persona non Grata at the lease, but IMO...one last good faith effort should be made.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 05:14 PM

Reason he's not on the lease anymore. He was late paying his money. Complained about everything.
Posted By: chalet

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 05:27 PM

Why not just use them? On a lease now where landowner said lease is yours, but the guys that got off want to know if they can leave their stands and feeders and get them after season is over. It was last minute so we said ok and used their stuff. 2nd season now and haven't heard a peep out of the former lessee's. Stands are decent and feeders work so doesn't bother us. It would take some work to move them so pretty sure they decided it wasn't worth the hassle.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 05:38 PM

Unless landowner is complaining, then just down sweat it. Hunt it if useable, if not just set up a new one right be side it if that is best place for blind. Bottom line is knowing the kicked off member was a PIA, I would not be trying to deal with him anymore and would not let him on to the property anyway now until deer season over. Good Luck. Post up some pics and location and if worth anything I bet you'll get offers to haul it off for free.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by YellowDog
Reason he's not on the lease anymore. He was late paying his money. Complained about everything.

I don't know what rules/policies you have concerning the lease or if any of those terms were violated.

I am sure if you kicked him off...he was in violation of something, or it was at the very least... just your prerogative. Don't really care.

I'm just saying he is entitled to his property and he might very well be having difficulties. Unless you have proof positive he is just being a 'deadbeat' then maybe extending him a bit more time or even offering to help would be the more thoughtful thing to do.

Tough crowd here sometimes.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 07:58 PM

If he is calling about it then i'd try to make the property available for HIM to get his stuff. If he isn't reaching out im not going to hunt him down.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 08:34 PM

May be too late for this, but these are some good points to consider with future lessee's.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/handling-tenants-abandoned-property-texas.html

And this...

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclop...-property-legal-notice-requirements.html
Posted By: onlysmith&wesson

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/06/19 09:56 PM

I was on a lease way out West. Most of the guys on it were 7 hours away. It would have taken them two trips to get everything when about 6 of them got off all at once for a closer place. 14 hours of driving time, a days work, couple of tanks of gas........you wouldn't believe some of the stuff they thought wasn't worth coming back for.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/07/19 03:11 AM

Not sure what your contract says. Most leases I have been on say that if any property is left after the lease ends, it becomes the property of the land owner. Most hunters who leave on good terms will take their stuff, or give it to the other members. If this former member had a issue where he really could not retrieve his stand/feeder, he could have tried to make other arrangements.
Posted By: texfork

Re: Old Lease member BS - 11/07/19 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Storage fee won't get anything accomplished. Sell it, keep it, give it away. Do whatever you want with it. He has abandoned, and therefore forfeited his property.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum