Texas Hunting Forum

DIY Aoudad hunt success

Posted By: o2bwest

DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/21/19 08:16 PM

Had an awesome hunt a couple of weeks ago. Started very early to beat the heat. Glassed a big bunch of rams at first light. On the way to make a move on the first bunch, we found 2 good rams by themselves. I shot 1 and the second stood around long enough for my buddy to get a shot off. Both rams went down with one shot from right at 300 yards. Both ran about 50 yards into the same little drainage and died within feet of each other. Really couldn't have gone any better. Shooting my Desert Tech SRSA2 in 6.5 CM. Great hunt in amazing country. Packing these heavy suckers 2 miles back to the truck was quite a workout. Yes, we took the meat.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/21/19 08:36 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/21/19 08:55 PM

congrats
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 12:32 AM

Nice work! Congrats on some nice rams!

I am glad you took the meat, too... I think aoudad gets a bad rap, I have eaten several and they were really good!
Posted By: CitySlickerHunter

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 01:03 AM

clap
Posted By: freerange

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 01:24 AM

Never really thought about hunting Aoudad but love that kinda country so maybe I should consider it. Anybody got a ballpark figure of what a nonguided hunt would cost? Not necessarily your hunt but about what is the going market rate?
Posted By: dkershen

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 01:46 AM

well done up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 03:32 AM

Nice rams, congrats! cheers
Posted By: snake oil

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 11:39 AM

Nice work! cheers
Posted By: Grizz

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 12:10 PM

Very nice! I would love to do that kind of hunt myself.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 01:20 PM

Great trip, congratulations
Posted By: o2bwest

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by freerange
Never really thought about hunting Aoudad but love that kinda country so maybe I should consider it. Anybody got a ballpark figure of what a nonguided hunt would cost? Not necessarily your hunt but about what is the going market rate?

I’m lucky to have a place to go. I think non guided opportunities for real hunts are hard to come by. I’m sure there are plenty of places where you can go sit in a blind and shoot one at a feeder but that’s not my thing. I have several buddies that offer guided hunts in this same area and they range from 4000-5500. The state has a great hunt on the Devils River that I have been told is fairly easy to draw. The catch with that hunt is the access to the property is difficult and you have to primitive camp. Sounds awesome to me but logistically probably too tough for a lot of people.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 08:10 PM

Looks like an awesome time....great looking rams....congrats to both of you....thanks for posting....
Posted By: freerange

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 06/22/19 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by o2bwest
Originally Posted by freerange

I’m lucky to have a place to go. I think non guided opportunities for real hunts are hard to come by. I’m sure there are plenty of places where you can go sit in a blind and shoot one at a feeder but that’s not my thing. I have several buddies that offer guided hunts in this same area and they range from 4000-5500. The state has a great hunt on the Devils River that I have been told is fairly easy to draw. The catch with that hunt is the access to the property is difficult and you have to primitive camp. Sounds awesome to me but logistically probably too tough for a lot of people.

Thanks o2b, I didn't ask you specifically what you paid cause I thought it may be a special circumstance. Im not looking for an easy hunt or a guided one and im really just kicking tires.
Posted By: Joe2Kool

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 07/07/19 11:05 PM

Congrats on a couple of nice ones!

I've recently added this hunt to my bucket list! cool
Posted By: Drahthaar

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 07/08/19 01:26 AM

Congratulations too both of you. Forrest
Posted By: 10 Gauge

Re: DIY Aoudad hunt success - 07/08/19 03:09 AM

Congrats!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum