Texas Hunting Forum

Africa Logistics

Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Africa Logistics - 01/22/19 09:59 PM

Seems I bought a trip to Africa at the DSC Auction this last weekend.

I’ve never been, so I am looking for any input regarding travel logistics. I have to get from DFW to Johannesburg. Specific airlines you prefer? Flights? Best options for business or first class on these flights? Are there travel agents you would recommend?

I’m all ears, and greatly appreciate any input.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/22/19 10:03 PM

If you find a business or first class route that isn't insanely expensive, please post it here.

That out of the way, where are you going and are you taking your own rifle or using a loaner?
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/22/19 10:06 PM

I went 2 years ago. We flew to London and then to Johannesburg. Damn, that's a lot of seat time. A friend goes from Florida. He's tried it both ways and said the trip across the Atlantic is a little more expensive but well worth it.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/22/19 10:11 PM

I use Steve Turner, Travel With Guns out of San Antonio. He offers first rate service including air fares, overnight in J'burg if necessary, meet and greet services including gun premits, etc. He does great work.

I always wound up using Delta through Atlanta, then non stop to J'burg. I'ts a long flight, but that's the shortest route. First class is ridiculously expensive, so I always chose economy comfort seats on the bulkhead. It offers the most legroom by far for a modest fee.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/22/19 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by GOLDSTEIN
Seems I bought a trip to Africa at the ...

roflmao Boy, I've been there!

Ditto for Steve Turner. If I ever go again, I'll overnight in Europe and rest a day. 'Can't do the ATL- Joeburg coach flight anymore.

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/22/19 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by syncerus
If you find a business or first class route that isn't insanely expensive, please post it here.

That out of the way, where are you going and are you taking your own rifle or using a loaner?

Insanely expensive is relative. I will pay more if it means I don’t have to sit in a cattle car.

To be honest, I’m not 100% where I’m going yet. I just know that I won the auction. It’s somewhere in northern South Africa. I’m planning to take my own rifle as well as my bow.

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/22/19 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Seems I bought a trip to Africa at the ...

roflmao Boy, I've been there!

Ditto for Steve Turner. If I ever go again, I'll overnight in Europe and rest a day. 'Can't do the ATL- Joeburg coach flight anymore.

roflmao funny how things work out sometimes.

Several have mentioned TWG to me. I will be giving Steve a call, thanks.
Posted By: Gringocazador

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 12:06 AM

I haven’t been in years. 2003 was the last time. I need to make another trip before I get to old. I flew Houston to Atlanta, then Joberg. Dang long flight. We stopped on some island middle of knowhere and refueled. I think it was 24-26 hr flight. I knocked myself out with Tylenol PM. I slept 14 hr, bit not straight. Sure made the trip better.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 12:32 AM

Don’t forget to shave your head so they don’t scalp you!!!!

I’m sure glad I didn’t go with you now roflmao
Posted By: nyalubwe

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 12:41 AM

Another +1 for Steve Turner, and I've also had great luck with Gracey travel..
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 03:39 PM

I went in 2004. Had to go coach, as it was with a business trip. We flew through New York. I don't remember why. You will have to take your rifle to Customs and get a form to take it with you. No trouble for me. We also hunted in northern SA. Great experience.
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 04:02 PM

Beware travel agents. My buddy and I booked a flight to SA once and due to a misunderstanding were not able to board. The airline said they could've rebooked for a later date if we'd bought the tickets from them but that since we bought through an agent we had to get them to rebook. Well the travel agent didn't give two flips and we each got a $1500 tour of the DFW Airport lobby. mad If you go with a travel agent I'd make sure you know several people who have had good experiences with him/her first.
Posted By: Black02z28

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 04:22 PM

We fly American from DFW to London or Amsterdam, then British Airways to Jo'Berg. We usually spend a day in London or Amsterdam to help break up the seat time. Our family travels a lot as it is, so us having airline miles helps a ton with the expense of flying business class. If you have some time before your trip you may want to consider getting a credit card that offers a miles program (I use Citi AAdvantage card) Pay for EVERYTHING with that miles card and pay the card off at the end of each month, that's a good way to stack some miles if you dont fly normally. We had a two issues traveling with firearms this last time coming into London and then leaving Jo'Berg but nothing too major

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy Africa!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Red Pill
I went in 2004. Had to go coach, as it was with a business trip. We flew through New York. I don't remember why. You will have to take your rifle to Customs and get a form to take it with you. No trouble for me. We also hunted in northern SA. Great experience.

The form is CBP From 4457. Google it. It's for re-entry to prove the items are yours. You can fill out a second one for binos, cameras, etc. Anything expensive with a serial number.

The form is also handy when the stellar personnel at any of your African airports ask for your rifle "license". Don't look confused. Don't tell them you don't need or have one. Just confidently hand them this U.S. Customs stamped form. They love forms with stamps on them and you will soon be on your way to your hunt. up roflmao
Posted By: Red Pill

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 04:30 PM

The officials in SA were extremely professional and friendly. When we returned, the US official didn't even look at the form. He inspected the soles of our shoes. Obviously, we didn't wear the same shoes while hunting.
Posted By: Blank

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 04:31 PM

Five trips over, and have never had a problem using a good agent. Definitely recommend Steve Turner and TWG. I also used them to send my wife on three trips to Italy, Paris, Prague. The trip over will be approx. 16-17 hours, and we prefer the non-stop Delta flights out of Atlanta.You will need a current 4457 from US Customs for whichever rifle you take. I would also get one for expensive binoculars, cameras, etc. It is only to show your ownership and allows you not to pay customs on your return, but Africans tend to think they are gun registration forms, and will want to see it. As far as the length of flights, some people take Tylenol PM, some all the way up to sleep aids and Ambient. Drink PLENTY of water, get up and walk occasionally, and stay away from too much alcohol. You will feel jet lag the following day. Good luck and have a fabulous time.

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 09:48 PM

I spoke with TWG. We will use them to make sure all our "I"s get crossed and "T"s get dotted.

From my conversation thus far, we are looking at Qatar business class. It is a reasonable difference in fare compared to the business class of the other options. Main difference is it will take a little longer to get there.

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 09:59 PM

So you taking pops or household CEO?

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 10:15 PM

Dad will be joining me for this one.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/23/19 10:48 PM

Good luck up

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 03:01 AM

Dad will be joining me for this one.

The ol man’s going to Africa. This should be interesting
roflmao

Sir if your reading don’t forget all your shots.
Posted By: NTO

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 03:20 AM

Steve at TWG is the way to go.
Got ticket prices today for my July trip. Dfw to Joberg
Emirates
Businesss $5100
Coach $1500

Delta
Business $14500
Coach $2500

I have done my last 3 trips on Emirates and it is way better than any other way.
Just my 2cents
Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 06:30 AM

Seems I bought a trip to Africa at the DSC Auction this last weekend.

I’ve never been, so I am looking for any input regarding travel logistics. I have to get from DFW to Johannesburg. Specific airlines you prefer? Flights? Best options for business or first class on these flights? Are there travel agents you would recommend?

I’m all ears, and greatly appreciate any input.

I Have been twice and am booked for 2019 and 2020 already. Call the shop n Feb 2 when we get back from all these shows and I can help you with logistic answers if you are interested there are some things that you definitely want to do. 9792294664
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 08:13 AM

[/quote]

To be honest, I’m not 100% where I’m going yet. I just know that I won the auction. It’s somewhere in northern South Africa. I’m planning to take my own rifle as well as my bow.

Please be sure to find out 100% which Outfitter you going with and do background checks and reference calls on them. Wouldn't want the cost of flights to be a waste.
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 03:15 PM

I've only been to Africa twice, but I've also been to New Zealand, Quebec and 3 times to Alaska, and what I've learned is that if I can leave my rifle behind and borrow one when I get there, it makes the entire trip a lot easier and more fun.

I don't want to get a hotel when I land and wait until the next day to be picked up by my outfitter, so I plan my flight there according to when I can land at the pick up airport at the right time.

I like to see new places and combine hunting trips with sight seeing. The direct flights to South Africa can be extremely expensive. Last time we went, we had a choice between 12 hours in London or 12 hours in Germany. My wife wanted to see London, so when we landed, we took the train into the city, watched the changing of the guard, had a fantastic lunch in a pub, walked along the Thames and took tons of pictures of the sites.

The time before that we stopped in Paris and spent the day exploring the city and seeing all the major landmarks. I've found that I can see most everything that I want to see in 6 to 8 hours and still have plenty of time to get back to the airport.

After our last hunt, we spent a day at the beach, went to Aldo Wildlife Park for a few days and really enjoyed seeing some of the country. Not having to deal with rifles was huge.

When looking at flights, I try to check all of the major online websites. I play with different times and dates to leave and come back, which can make a big difference in the cost of a ticket. For me, the planning and working out all the details is a big part of the fun in going on big trips.
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 03:31 PM

I've been to Africa twice - once to South Africa and the other time to Namibia. Getting there with firearms is easier than you'd think.

My father was living in West Africa at the time of my first trip and I was living in Dallas - so I was responsible for taking the guns/ammo/optics and meeting him in South Africa. It was a bit nerve wrecking in that I had just turned 21 and it was my first time flying with firearms. With all the proper paperwork, cases, locks, separate ammo can... the process went extremely smooth. We didn't use any travel services as our trips were booked using mileage. If you have the extra funds, using a service like TWG will help reduce the stress if it's your first time flying outside of the country with firearms.

I flew Delta/Airfrance on the first trip - seemed the persons at the gate in Dallas were accustomed to people traveling with firearms. Few simple questions. Presented paperwork. Showed everything was unloaded... locked it all back up again... and off I went. The outfitter had someone meet me in Johannesburg which made the 2nd half of the process extremely easy.

I flew economy on my first trip with Delta/Airfrance since I was going solo. My second trip, my father got me business class tickets (via United) so I could sit with him. Business on United was nice, but at the time it was an older plane so the seats weren't the type that recline to 180 degrees. Nicer than business on domestic flights but not as nice as I've seen on recent international flights. Not sure if their planes are updated now. My first trip was in 2006 and second in 2011.
Posted By: Jgraider

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 03:44 PM

I agree that you can save some $$$ by not using an African travel expert like TWG, but when the %&$%# hits the fan in SA, Namibia and your flights are rescheduled/changed (happened to us in Namibia w/Namibia Air) you'll be glad you have Steve Turner handling the problems instead of having to figure it out yourself.

You can also save $$$ by not using a meet and greet service or getting TWG to do pre-approved gun permits. One trip over our Delta flight was a little late and we arrived during a shift change in J'burg. If not for the pre approval guy going behind the counter and grabbing our guns (while the DIY guys were standing around wondering what to do) we would have been there for an hour or more. 15 minutes and we were on our way. I think it's worth the money, but to each his own.

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kingsview Safaris

Please be sure to find out 100% which Outfitter you going with and do background checks and reference calls on them. Wouldn't want the cost of flights to be a waste.

I know which outfitter. I just meant I don't recall the name of the town or area where we will be. I spoke with the outfitter for a while at DSC.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/24/19 05:20 PM

TWG without question. Emirates business
Posted By: dps5395

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/25/19 04:47 AM

No issues..I was getting attacked by Javelina...It’s been a while...I figured you were still walking around Colorado looking for your elk...
Posted By: Kingsview Safaris

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/25/19 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Kingsview Safaris

I know which outfitter. I just meant I don't recall the name of the town or area where we will be. I spoke with the outfitter for a while at DSC.

Apologies I mis-read the message. Well enjoy it and hope you have an incredible time. Happy hunting!
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/26/19 08:48 AM

Congrats on the pending adventure Craig! Sounds like you got thr air portion under control. Highly recommend you work with these guys on your trophy shipping logistics. http://www.huntingtrophy.com/ Coppersmith is the best in the business.
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/27/19 05:21 AM

Went in May of ‘17 headed back in April/May this year. It’s an unbelievable experience. Which outfitter are you hunting with?

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/27/19 03:09 PM

Thanks, Dave!

We will be hunting with Balla Balla Safaris. The auction I purchased was for their South Africa area.
Posted By: QMC SW/EXW

Re: Africa Logistics - 01/27/19 11:27 PM

I have hunted RSA, Zim and Cameroon. Never had an issue transporting firearms to any of them as long as you have the paperwork and follow the proper procedures. Not as difficult as many try to make it out to be.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum