Texas Hunting Forum

Weekend Weather

Posted By: Sparta

Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 02:56 PM

Are any of you Central Texas / Hill Country hunters planning on braving the weather this weekend?

The chump side of me is telling me to stay home. However, I have limited weekend availability through the end of the year.

In the past, some of the best hunting I've experienced is between (or after) rain showers on cold days. I'm thinking Saturday afternoon might be good.
Posted By: Whack n stack

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 05:33 PM

go hunting or you will regret it...
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Whack n stack

What he said.
rifle
I'll be there myself,
Posted By: TooLow

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 05:50 PM

I'm leaving Sunday morning to hunt through Tuesday to avoid the rain
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 05:51 PM

Ill be in near Livingston 100% Friday and then 60% Saturday morning, I don't think I've ever been on a weekend up there with the sun out during hunting season.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 06:09 PM

Yeah, I think I was just trying to talk myself out of going for some reason. I'll be hitting the road Thursday night...
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 06:30 PM

you will never have THIS weekend again....take advantage of every minute, you don't know what tomorrow brings.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ddmm
you will never have THIS weekend again....take advantage of every minute, you don't know what tomorrow brings.

That is so, so true!
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. T.

What he said.
rifle
I'll be there myself,

I’ll be working out in it....stay home or hunting is better than what I’ll be doing...
Posted By: JDP Ranch

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 08:59 PM

I'm heading out to Coleman County tomorrow. Forecast doesn't look so nice... but there has been a weird occurrence the past few months where the big bucks are showing up on game cams when it's raining. Not sure if it's a coincidence or what.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Sparta

Yeah, I think I was just trying to talk myself out of going for some reason. I'll be hitting the road Thursday night...

I'd rather be in the blind (duck or deer) than at home wishing I was in the blind.
Posted By: txhunter1010

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 09:53 PM

gonna sit all day sunday!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 10:24 PM

Weather wise this might be the best weekend to hunt.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

The moon phase doesn’t get any better, up all day down all night.

I’m leaving early tomorrow morning forecast is snow for tomorrow afternoon and all Saturday clearing Sunday.

Last weekend of Mulie season so it’s on. up
Posted By: Whack n stack

Originally Posted by Sparta

up ill be out tomorrow and sunday as well. 'hunting clothes' are not typically a tank top, shorts, and flip flops for that reason.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 10:56 PM

I was going to hunt Friday - Monday but decided to wait and hunt Sunday - Wednesday
Posted By: 218 Bee

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/05/18 11:02 PM

Since we live on the place, "goin' out" can be as uncomplicated as drinking a cup of coffee and looking out the living room window...but that ain't what you're asking.

Yeah, I'll head back and actually hunt, starting in the morning. My philosophy has always been that, regardless of the weather, the game is there...heck, they don't have anyplace else to go! They may stick back in the thick stuff or the heavy timber, crawl back in a hollow to get out of the wind...but they live there. Want one? Gotta go where they live...wet or dry, cold or pleasant.

Besides, adversity builds character, right? cheers

Mark
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/06/18 02:14 AM

^^^Same here, just have to walk to the blind, or if it does rain as much they are talking about, take the truck. But gonna try to be in the blind.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/06/18 06:23 AM

Hope no one goes. Our roads are still smooth to camp. grin I would go if I wasn't tagged out though. No severe storms this time and as dry as it has been, should not be too bad. Over 2 inches though is not good for the roads.
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/06/18 11:44 AM

Saw a forecast for over 4"s accumulation down here ...could be a real rodeo even with a good 4x4 getting back into the back 40...been there and almost lost my truck one time when the dry wash's 4' deep bar ditch's we always parked near overflowed in an hour and got up to my front wheels as we were humping it to get in and back out a 1/2 mile on the one laner county road to the turnaround....Nope I'm gonna stay dry on this forcasted frog strangler this time...and I Luv to hunt in the scent killing peace and quiet of a light steady rain.
Ron
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/06/18 01:01 PM

39 degrees with 20mph north wind and rain, sounds like great weather to sit in a tree bowhunting. Just starting to get over being sick. Think i'll sit this one out.
Posted By: pertnear

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/06/18 01:40 PM

Yep, leaving Friday & hunting through Monday. At Roosevelt.

Taking extra whiskey! scared
Posted By: Lotto

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/06/18 04:31 PM

Good luck...heading out Sunday morning and up untill one of the ole big ones makes a mistake... [Linked Image]
Posted By: mustang coach

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/06/18 05:03 PM

Leaving shortly heading to Irion County....Looking forward to seeing what is going on with the cold weather.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/07/18 02:11 PM

Killed my personal best immediately after a torrential rain and electrical storm passed through.
I went out to my stand late, with the creeks all running and me sloshing through the mud to my stand, with lightening still flashing and thunder in the distance, I didn't even sit down and get settled when I look up and the biggest buck I'd ever had in front of me was standing there with two does.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Weekend Weather - 12/07/18 06:15 PM

Hunting through it. A buck could show up at any time. Not gonna' kill one sitting on the couch.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum