Texas Hunting Forum

Trail camera batteries?

Posted By: tlk

Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 03:43 PM

Frustrated with our C batteries on our Moultrie Panoramic trail cameras not lasting very long. Have tried 2-3 brands and none seem to last long at all - anyone had good luck with a particular brand?
Posted By: jakebunch

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 03:53 PM

I contacted Browning about some camera issues and they recommended Energizer Lithium. They said not to go below 60% on the Duracell but could go down to 30% on Energizer. This was for AA batteries. I have not put the cameras back out so have not tested this recommendation.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Frustrated with our C batteries on our Moultrie Panoramic trail cameras not lasting very long. Have tried 2-3 brands and none seem to last long at all - anyone had good luck with a particular brand?

When you say, not lasting long...how many photos are we talking about and are they mostly day or night shots. I have the same camera and get a good 15,000 photos out of my 6 c-cell
Duracell batteries. Where I have it places it is about 70% daylight and 30% night. Night photos take a lot more battery than day photos.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 05:16 PM

I use Stealthcam's with the 12V rechargeable batteries. Problem solved.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 05:21 PM

Here you go....a couple options...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-...mp;gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Stealth-Cam-12V-Battery-Box/dp/B075HRXHZR
Posted By: PMK

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 08:57 PM

does your camera have an external port where you can plug in an external battery or a solar panel to help keep the batteries charged?

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
does your camera have an external port where you can plug in an external battery or a solar panel to help keep the batteries charged?

we use the solar on 4 of the 30 cameras we run and they do help - just trying to not have to buy that many more solars
Posted By: White Falcon

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 09:11 PM

I use the Dollar General AA & C and they last the whole season. $1.00 and $2.00 a pack.

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 10:01 PM

Originally Posted By: White Falcon
I use the Dollar General AA & C and they last the whole season. $1.00 and $2.00 a pack.

that is crazy - I will buy some and try. Also heard about a battery converter you can buy that takes AA lithium batteries and adapt them for C battery use
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 10:19 PM

I put AA lithium batteries in my 4 Bushnell cellular trail cams in October, they are still showing over a 60% charge...
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/19/18 11:14 PM

One word. Lithium

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/20/18 12:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson
One word. Lithium

I got that - if all your cameras use C batteries though it becomes a challenge - I am trying the converters
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/20/18 01:06 AM

https://www.amazon.com/DURACELL-PROCELL-Professional-Alkaline-Battery/dp/B017F9GK52/ref=sr_1_6_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1521507788&sr=8-6&keywords=c%2Bcell%2Bbatteries%2B24%2Bpack&th=1
Posted By: JGray

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/23/18 05:33 PM

I switched to Tenegy rechargeable batteries last year and am very satisfied. A little more upfront cost, but save $ in the long run.
Posted By: Gangly

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/27/18 03:24 PM

Auxiliary battery with a solar panel. It's $25 bux total up front, but I RARELY have to change a battery and I'm on the same batteries going on 2 years for my feeder and camera. Make the investment, its worth it, even if its simply the fact that you dont have to worry about it.
Posted By: Holly2010

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/28/18 08:20 PM

I found that batteries from Energizer work best. However I feel the longevity of a battery doesn't necessarily depend on the brand but on the battery its self. I don't know why but some batteries just last longer than others. I do think if you are still having this problem after trying number of brands maybe you should consider an auxiliary battery with a solar panel. I hope this helps.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/28/18 08:22 PM

Dollar General Alkaline AAs
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/28/18 09:19 PM

Amazon Alkaline AAs. 48 for $12 just the other week.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/28/18 10:57 PM

48 AA batteries for $12. seems like a heck of a deal. Is Amazon the shipper only or is their name on the battery?
Posted By: TheCloudX

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/28/18 11:38 PM

Amazon is on the label.

These are the ones, look like they are $14 now: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MNV8E0C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 03/29/18 09:10 PM

I had terrible luck with the $ store batteries. I don't think they lasted over 60 days.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 04/04/18 08:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Z
I had terrible luck with the $ store batteries. I don't think they lasted over 60 days.

I use low draw cameras... cheap $30 tasco cameras the batteries will last 2-4 months depending on the settings and movement... im good with 60 days though still come out cheaper in the end
Posted By: JeremyKS

Re: Trail camera batteries? - 04/09/18 03:07 AM

I run 100+ cameras at times so I need something that is cheap and reliable. I have been using Amazon brand AAs with very good luck and you can't beat the price.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum