Texas Hunting Forum

I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area?

Posted By: Mr. T.

I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/19/17 05:28 PM

My wife and I are buying a small piece of land (100 acres) about 10 miles north of Hughes Springs in East Texas. I was just wondering if there are any other THF members hunting in the area. I met several really nice folks in the past when I was hunting in the Eastland area here on THF.
Photos of last years bucks from Eastland;

Posted By: deerhunter1956

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/20/17 04:05 PM

Tommy looks like you have the place to your self.
LOL
Posted By: BigDad

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/20/17 06:25 PM

Very nice deer you've got there Mr T, when were those taken? We've got 250 acres halfway between Hughes Springs and Linden on Hwy 11. This deer was taken off our neighbors place last weekend. We've got a few decent bucks on camera but none as big as yours.

Posted By: PropaneMan

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/20/17 08:21 PM

BigDad, I think you may have missed the part where he said those pics were from his Eastland County place last year.
I hunted off CR 250 between Hughes Springs and Cornett between 2011 and 2015, never saw a shooter buck. Moved over to Red Hill, TX last year and have a couple shooters on camera at night but have never seen one during daylight hours. It's tough sledding in those parts, but the scenery is pretty. Good luck to everyone the remainder of the season.

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/20/17 11:59 PM

Yeah, I thought (hoping) they shot those in ET. Oh well, we have several "legal" deer on camera at our place near Hughes Springs but no giants. Here's a young 8 at our other place 10 mile due south in Marion county, hope he makes it through the season.

Posted By: PropaneMan

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/21/17 02:00 PM

That's a beauty and looks like he still has a few years to grow. Out of curiosity, how do you keep the hogs from knocking over that tripod feeder?
Is it inside a pen?
Posted By: rickym

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/21/17 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: PropaneMan
That's a beauty and looks like he still has a few years to grow. Out of curiosity, how do you keep the hogs from knocking over that tripod feeder?
Is it inside a pen?

Im not sure how he does it, but alot of people including myself slam t-post into the ground up against the legs and use wire to attach the two.

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/21/17 07:28 PM

No pens but have been considering building some, tired of feeding the hogs. I staked the legs on all our feeders with pieces of 3/8 rebar.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/21/17 11:28 PM

BigDad, that's a real nice buck.My place is 10 miles north of Hughes Springs off of hwy 250.
Posted By: rickym

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/22/17 12:07 AM

Ill be up there this weekend. Will give you a call if I have time to get away from family.
Posted By: jab3006

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/22/17 03:52 AM

Lived in Hughes Springs my whole life. Grew up on off hwy 250, my parengs still live there. Live and hunt between hughes springs and avinger now. Good luck!
Posted By: netman

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/22/17 04:43 PM

My family has had a tree farm in Avinger for over 30 years. I do hunt the land occasionally but my main hunting place is south of Sonora. I have killed a nice 11 point and a 10 point over the years but defiantly slim pickens. FYI 5D cattle co. in Avinger is a great place to get a good steak. I noticed your cabin in Pagosa Springs, are you a fly fisherman?
Posted By: jab3006

Re: I hunt 10 miles north of Hughes Springs...Any other THF member in the area? - 11/22/17 10:07 PM

The owners of 5d are neighbors to me. Good people and good food.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum