Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas Border Illegals

Posted By: Brian C.

South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 12:55 PM

Headed down that way this winter for the first time hunting the border. Just curious what experiences others have had? I've worked down south but never further than Alice to Cotulla. This will be first time stomping around the brush. I'll be west of Raymondville and way south of Ozona.
Posted By: bp3

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 04:08 PM

That covers from Del Rio to Brownsville
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 04:10 PM

Not just the illegals you got to watch for.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

How do you mean?
Posted By: TexasKC

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 06:20 PM

I have never hunted right on the river but I did have a lease near Batesville for several years. When we got the lease the rancher told us to never leave camp without a firearm, never leave our camper or truck unlocked and if possible never confront an illegal. We never saw any illegals but they did break in to our camper and tore it up.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: DirtNapTET

How do you mean?

Even the people here legally can be a problem. Had some guys (not illegals, pipeline workers) hunting at the end of the season who thought all the regulars were gone. They got caught in the stand. Apparently one was a felon in possession of a firearm. Could have gone wrong quick.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 06:43 PM

Goodluck and be safe down there. Stick your barrel in your stand first.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 06:56 PM

I can tell you that in our area of NE Webb County, which is very remote, we've had multiple encounters. Don't leave your house or your vehicles unlocked and ALWAYS take the keys with you. Don't leave weapons unsecured, especially in the pasture. Don't leave anything like knives, machetes, etc. laying out for easy access. We've never had a "problem" but last Saturday evening at 8:30, I had three bad hombres from the Dominican Republic come walking into camp. First group I've encountered that really had me nervous. Also, don't go anywhere without a sidearm for quick, up close encounters. Always have a phone on your person that works and in it have the number for the County Sheriff and Border Patrol. Know how to drop a GPS pin from your phone so LE can get to you more quickly.

Have the GPS coordinates for your camp area in your phone, too. Also a good idea to GPS all your stands and feeders plus other notable landmarks on the property.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 08:38 PM

I used to hunt close to eagle pass. One day I stopped to open a gate, heard a noise and turned around. there were 8 illegals in the back of my truck. I grabbed my sidearm and they all ran. They were gone as fast as they showed up. I have never had a really bad experience with them. I always figured most were trying to find work to feed their families, however, I never encountered a drug mule in my time there. I have been told that is a different story.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: phantom
I used to hunt close to eagle pass. One day I stopped to open a gate, heard a noise and turned around. there were 8 illegals in the back of my truck. I grabbed my sidearm and they all ran. They were gone as fast as they showed up. I have never had a really bad experience with them. I always figured most were trying to find work to feed their families, however, I never encountered a drug mule in my time there. I have been told that is a different story.

They prolly followed directions to were a hand was picking them up to take them further north.. herd of similar pick up points like that... you just happen to fit the description lol
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/18/17 09:55 PM

Good stories in here from last year.
http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6555906/1
Posted By: sbushee

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 02:15 AM

Man, that’s crazy stories!

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 03:03 AM

Sound advice fouzman.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Brian C.
Sound advice fouzman.

Indeed. I have a good friend whose father was killed by illegals on their ranch near Laredo. He asked us to always carry a side arm while on their place, his dad didn't.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 03:04 PM

I've had many encounters with illegals on our family places in southwest Texas but have been fortunate to never have a bad one. The vast majority are working/suffering to feed their families and are usually just hungry. But I guess all you need to find is one bad apple for your day to go very badly.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 03:11 PM

It's been my experience that the farther they get from the border the less aggressive they become. The guys who just crossed are normally still full of energy. Once they make it through that brush country they are a worn down and have a lot less fight. Webb county vs Edwards county for example. Guys crossing in Webb are looking to leave that country quick and will steal your car or truck. By they time they get to Edwards county (walking, crawling) they just want something to eat and drink.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 03:15 PM

It's been my experience that the farther they get from the border the less aggressive they become. The guys who just crossed are normally still full of energy. Once they make it through that brush country they are a worn down and have a lot less fight. Webb county vs Edwards county for example. Guys crossing in Webb are looking to leave that country quick and will steal your car or truck. By they time they get to Edwards county (walking, crawling) they just want something to eat and drink.

Ha. That's interesting. I've always encountered them in Edwards or Sutton County, so maybe that explains it. They've always been just hungry/thirsty or cold. Maybe wanting some work. When we've had break-ins, it was to get canned goods, and they'd usually leave the place as good as they found it.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

Ha. That's interesting. I've always encountered them in Edwards or Sutton County, so maybe that explains it. They've always been just hungry/thirsty or cold. Maybe wanting some work. When we've had break-ins, it was to get canned goods, and they'd usually leave the place as good as they found it.

Yes sir. We used to just leave our doors unlocked with water and food in Edwards County. In Webb they have to climb over a 10' fence with razor wire to get anything.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: ErnestTBass

Yes sir. We used to just leave our doors unlocked with water and food in Edwards County. In Webb they have to climb over a 10' fence with razor wire to get anything.

That's what we do - leave it unlocked, or just leave some food out on the porch.
Posted By: Southtexas36

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 04:34 PM

I've hunted the same Webb Co ranch since 1981, and can't even try to figure out the number of encounters. In the last 10 years I've taken the approach that I leave them alone, they leave me alone, but doesn't mean I'm not prepared if one decides to take it to the next level. Camps stay unlocked when not there but I do lock everything while I'm there. I do tend to believe that anyone coming across does not want to add any extra attention to what they are doing.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 04:47 PM

I have a family ranch in Carrizo Springs, in Dimmit County. Can't tell you how many hundreds of backpacks we've found and how many hunts have been ruined when illegals are running through, with BP not far behind. As other have said, always have a side arm, and have it visible. Watch your 6. Have your phone on you with the local BP number already programmed in. I have three agents cell's stored in my phone.

I actually bought my two friend and I some official BP hats this year to wear while on the ranch. Overkill...probably. But after my buddy was approached by 6 bad hombres carrying square bailed backpacks demanding he give them water, while aggressively moving closer (until he pulled out his pistol), I'm doing all I can to be cautious. If my family is there with me and I go hunting in the morning, I lock up the doors on my way out. Always. I always walk with a flashlight in one hand and a pistol in the other when going to or leaving the blinds in the dark. Also, we've found quite a few illegals taking naps or an overnight siesta in our deer blinds. Be cautious when entering. Not that they would attack you, but that can be very scary for both parties early in the morning when it is dark out. Lock your vehicles and keep the keys with you.

I also tell the Border patrol station (located in Carrizo Springs) when I am going to be hunting sometimes. I have set off so many thermal or video sensors when walking around the ranch, and the BP comes hauling butt into the ranch thinking my buddies and I are "bodies," as the BP terms the illegals. many hunts have been ruined that way, unfortunately. Sometimes the agents will actually call to make sure it isn't us setting off the sensors. They have called me at 5:30am and asked if I am on a particular part of the ranch. If I say no, they know they have illegals moving through and they'll head out to find them.

I once turned down a road in the back of our ranch at 5am and saw brake lights light up and drive off quickly. I started driving towards the vehicle, nervously, to see what was going on. The truck quickly turned around and they threw on the high beams. I threw mine back on in response. That's when I got very really nervous. We both rolled up to one another and of course I had my .45 in my hand. It was an unmarked BP truck. The officer said a group of 25 were headed towards out ranch. I hunted the opposite side that morning. I was so tired that morning, but that exchange woke me up like I had just chugged a pot of coffee. Very uneasy feeling to know someone is on your ranch when you are the only one supposed to be there.

Bottom line, stay alert and stay safe. Most illegals just want to find a better life over here. Some are here to traffic drugs or people. Those folks do not want to be caught. I've heard some sad tales of people being hurt, robbed and even killed on their ranches. Most illegals will just try to hide and not approach you. But if they are desperate and tired and not thinking clearly, you need to be.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 04:53 PM

A lot of it depends on where you are located. If you have a small deer camp out in the middle of nowhere, it's easy for them to look around and see there isn't much there for them to bother with, or have to carry, other than you leaving food/water out for them.
If your camp looks to be well stocked, and along a major travel route, then you could be looking at some pretty bold break ins. They can steal and take most of what you have, and be on the road in short order.
No reason to be afraid, just be alert!

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 05:13 PM

That's what was weird about the three Dominicans that came into camp last Saturday, George. They weren't carrying anything. No water, no food, no nothing. But they were very aggressive about wanting one of our vehicles until they saw that I was armed. I fed them, let them bathe with the water hose, gave them some beer and some more food and water to take with them, even though I new they weren't going to be there that long since the wife was locked in the back bedroom talking to BP. I was just trying to keep them calm (and there) until BP arrived. First time I've encountered illegals who really made me uneasy. Two of the three were BIG and all three were very muscled up. I'll bet there is some dope stashed outside the gate somewhere.
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/19/17 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
That's what was weird about the three Dominicans that came into camp last Saturday, George. They weren't carrying anything. No water, no food, no nothing. But they were very aggressive about wanting one of our vehicles until they saw that I was armed. I fed them, let them bathe with the water hose, gave them some beer and some more food and water to take with them, even though I new they weren't going to be there that long since the wife was locked in the back bedroom talking to BP. I was just trying to keep them calm (and there) until BP arrived. First time I've encountered illegals who really made me uneasy. Two of the three were BIG and all three were very muscled up. I'll bet there is some dope stashed outside the gate somewhere.

Glad you kept a cool head and a good plan. Definitely some full bags of something nearby! Not many travel empty handed. Only times I see them empty handed is when they've changed into their second pair of clothes and ditched the backpacks to be on the route to the pick up point. 3 muscular dudes are carry weight and they would love to have a vehicle! They have a big payday ahead of them or a price on their heads if they don't deliver the goods.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/20/17 12:29 AM

Update. Two are in the hands of ICE awaiting a plane ride back to the eastern Caribbean. One played brush lawyer and claimed asylum under 'reasonable fear' of being returned. Probably the coyote who's in a world of trouble from whence he came. He's gonna sit in jail until his case comes up and get deported, then. BP says he has no proof of reasonable fear. Could be our guest for up to a year mad
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/20/17 07:37 AM

Luckily personally haven't run into any. But all those stories happen the week before or after I have been there. Guess I have been lucky. Oil field has helped some but they change their maps and adjust to avoid gates now. Never be unarmed anymore.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/20/17 11:25 AM

My MIL lives on her ranch alone in La Salle county. A couple years back an illegal knocked on her door wanting to something to drink and eat. When she brought it to him, he wanted more. When she said she didn't have more he became agitated and wanted to use her phone. She said and asked him to leave. He went back into the brush and she called the GW. who along with BP found them on the next ranch over. There were 5 total and all carrying drugs. As for checking your deerstand, that goes both ways. One of my wifes cousins was in his tower stand when several illegals came out on the sender. They saw his stand and made their way to it. As the first one opened the door, her cousin jumped and yelled at him. He said it was the best rodeo he's been too in awhile.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/20/17 11:53 AM

I don’t believe I would let them get as far as the door.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/20/17 02:18 PM

Never met one, but one time we had them break into our trailer(s) and spend a couple of nights before moving on. We could never get the smell out of our bedrolls. Burned them and bought new ones. Good thing the LO never saw them. He had a dog that lived to bite people. We could never approach his house until the dog was put up.
Posted By: maximum

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/20/17 04:54 PM

stop making excuses for them.
if they want to come here legally and assimilate,
i'm ok with that.
Posted By: Spooks

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/21/17 12:17 PM

Our family had two ranches in Starr County. I've hunted here my whole life and I will tell you that your chances are good that an encounter will take place. I will say that nothing real has happened as far as a confrontation but I think it's because we don't give them the opportunity.

I've seen some crazy stuff thru out there. I've seen groups of 30+, I've seen several mothers with kids and no men, I've seen serious injuries to individuals sustainef as they traveled, I've found staving people in the woods, it's tough but you have stay alarm you just never know. I will add one important thing: you will be able to tell when someone needs real help. It's a look That's hard to explain but you'll know.

Here are is something things my father taught us: when contact is made to keep looking behind them and scan the area while getting them to keep moving. Most are either looking for directions or water. Once they get going we keep our eyes on them and continue a level of vigilance. We keep our hunting firearms out of sight but we all wear side arms. We also bring our dog and keep him at the home as an early alarm.

If out in the field or deer blind. If I see them a head of time I get their attention and they usually run off into the woods.

My advice after 45 plus years of hunting south Texas is to stay cautious but not in fear. I speak in a firm medium tone and that usually does it.
Posted By: huntwest

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/21/17 06:44 PM

Dang I'm glad I hunt in North Texas!
Posted By: tlk

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/21/17 10:25 PM

I have been on a ranch in south texas between Uvalde and Eagle Pass for ten years - close to the border. Knock on wood we have never had any issue in our camp. I have seen one illegal (first day I was ever on the ranch). Border patrol is active in our area so maybe that keeps them clear of our place but we have had zero issues

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 01:04 AM

Sounds more a matter of situational awareness and vigilance will result with no problems
Posted By: Trophytaker3

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 01:16 AM

All i can says is it Build It.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 01:16 AM

flag
Posted By: Gumbeaux

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 01:54 AM

I've seen illegals on our lease as far as north as Llano. Of course, they were doing some masonry work for the land owner.
Posted By: webb1974

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 02:43 AM

I'm surprised it's not an everyday occurrence for y'all. I hunted the Chaparossa ranch in la pryor for javelina. This was before the shoot out. We didn't have a single day go by without seeing some. Never had a bad encounter. They just wanted water and most of the time it was families. Called BP one time and that was only because a man got left behind with a hurt ankle and dehydrated. He was happy we called. I was told there was so much traffic there because the high lines led to la Pryor where they were to be picked up.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
Border patrol is active in our area so maybe that keeps them clear of our place but we have had zero issues

You're very close to the border and have a couple giant ranches nearby, tlk. Some of the best Texas country and landowners.

I'm guessing all of you are happy to have BP on and around that country. No contact in all your years down there only reinforces that thought. up Nice to be and have good neighbors.

Posted By: White Falcon

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 03:52 PM

Side arm and snake boots!
Posted By: J.G.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

I don't think I could have handled it that way.

Good for you, though.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/22/17 09:58 PM

If I had to deal with that crap I'd find another place to hunt further North.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 01:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Gumbeaux
I've seen illegals on our lease as far as north as Llano. Of course, they were doing some masonry work for the land owner.

lol35 lol444 lol444 roflmao
AAHHAHAHAAA!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 02:01 AM

'Seem to remember a thread on here a while back and a few were commenting how anyone who wears a sidearm on the deer lease is a fool.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 04:37 AM

[/quote]

I've seen them on the backroads in Runnels county headed towards DFW. They will follow Highway 67 using side roads and the railroad as their map, walking until they run into someone that will give them a ride.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 04:57 AM

I have a ranch in webb county that is 14 miles from the border and I have a ranch in starr county that is 16 miles from the border. We have never had any major issues. I see illegals a couple times a year and myself or my staff is on these ranches several times a week. Be alert, carry a pistol and you have nothing to worry about.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 05:01 AM

Originally Posted By: TexasKC
I have never hunted right on the river but I did have a lease near Batesville for several years. When we got the lease the rancher told us to never leave camp without a firearm, never leave our camper or truck unlocked and if possible never confront an illegal. We never saw any illegals but they did break in to our camper and tore it up.

I have a ranch in Batesville also. Never had an issue there.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
'Seem to remember a thread on here a while back and a few were commenting how anyone who wears a sidearm on the deer lease is a fool.

We don't have to worry about illegals where I hunt but after the meth head neighbor a mile up the road took a shot at the spotlight survey folks in August I always walk around armed. Only an idiot wouldn't.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 08:57 PM

We found two camped out north of mason one year.
Posted By: gary roberson

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/23/17 09:24 PM

Wetbacks broke into my camp in Terrell County a few weeks ago. From what I understand, it was several younger fellows and they went from camp to camp in the area tearing stuff up. This is the first time I have experienced vandalism like this, usually want food and water.
Adios,
Gary

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/24/17 12:19 AM

Originally Posted By: gary roberson
Wetbacks broke into my camp in Terrell County a few weeks ago. From what I understand, it was several younger fellows and they went from camp to camp in the area tearing stuff up. This is the first time I have experienced vandalism like this, usually want food and water.
Adios,
Gary

Would chill out on that kind of talk man, there's all kinds of folks on here from different nationalities; over the last several years I've been on this site, 99.9% of them are good, down to earth folks in my experience.

No need to throw slang on here like that.. just my 2cents
Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/24/17 01:46 AM

had a couple walk toward my stand. That old 270 had'em doing the mexican hat dance. I like mexicans, but I dont like illegals, and get that flag outta my face.

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/24/17 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: 10pointdoe
had a couple walk toward my stand. That old 270 had'em doing the mexican hat dance. I like mexicans, but I dont like illegals, and get that flag outta my face.

Well said
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/24/17 02:09 AM

We always left our camp house unlocked in Terrel county. The wetbacks coming through would usually eat a few cans of beans and spend the night but we never had any tear anything up.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/25/17 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: STXHO
I have a ranch in webb county that is 14 miles from the border and I have a ranch in starr county that is 16 miles from the border. We have never had any major issues. I see illegals a couple times a year and myself or my staff is on these ranches several times a week. Be alert, carry a pistol and you have nothing to worry about.

Seems the bigger issues occur further from the border once they get more desperate and not far from their pickup point. All I got to say, make sure your ranch manger or worker isn't a coyote himself... Money talks and it happens unfortunately but they get caught eventually.
Posted By: tlk

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/25/17 01:40 PM

it is always a good idea to leave water and canned food outside your camphouse or trailer so they do not feel compelled to break in to get it. I also have heard a crucifix on the door will deter them - not sure if that is true but have heard it works
Posted By: bp3

Re: South Texas Border Illegals - 10/25/17 02:05 PM

Worked out of Laredo for a while back in 1990 and had to go out at night to read logs at drilling rig mostly in Webb county. had guards at main gates and most ranches had cattle guards on the ranch roads but a few had gates and it was spooky. Had a spot light on my pickup and checked out the area before getting out to open gates. Heard rumors that a Halliburton employee was jumped at a gate and they stole his pickup and left him in his under wear.The ranchers I talked to that lived in town but had older places on their ranch said they never locked them, could tell they had been there with canned goods and bottled water gone but that had a increase of some of them trashing the place for no reason. They thought it was from younger men and not from Mexico but central Americans. rifle
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum