Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Fever!!!

Posted By: Bigfoot

Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 01:01 AM

Guys I dont know what my problem is right now. Hunting season for me is 3 months away and i am obsessed right now with all things hunting. I cant stop watching hunting programs, I cant stop getting on this site, I am already studying topo maps at the Chapparal WMA just in case I get picked in the drawn hunts and trying to make a game plan for each compartment based on topography. I lay in bed at night planning on what i am going to do this year when deer hunting the SAM. I spent 2 hours in Cabelas and 1 hour in Academy looking at all hunting stuff today. I am trying to learn deer communication by watching anything that will teach me something on youtube. I have been practicing my deer call everyday now for a month and getting good at it.

I am obsessed!! And starting to think I need a shrink

who else has gone through this?
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 01:10 AM

I bought 100 AA batteries today for my game cameras, does that count?
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 01:12 AM

Na You just need a Deer!!!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 01:29 AM

You need an exotic hunt, that'll sooth the itch for a few months.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 01:48 AM

Ok... me too. Built a new blind this yr. Obsessing on where it will be placed, what is going in it, chairs etc. Feeder up and running camera's going. Been to Academy and going to Cabela's Sunday. Wish I could take a 90 day nap. hammer
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 12:53 PM

welcome to the addiction.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 03:38 PM

I started prepping for this deer season in February and still have plenty to do.
Posted By: Sparta

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 04:33 PM

I like the idea of targeting a few deer and working all off season to get a chance at one of them. I'm with SapperTitan, started prepping in Feb. I'm at the point now where I'm scouting as much as I can and working the cameras. The fun is as much in the journey as it is the kill. (Wellll almost) grin

Still I'm looking forward to Nov 4!!!

There is always hogs and dove. elmer
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 07:53 PM

cheers used Topo USA, think 98 CD's were last ones i purchesed, for when went to a WMA that never hunted... Drew map of area, turno download, & had cordanance wrote down of several areas, it public so had back up areas..
Always carried a small note pad & pen, & wrote findings along the way... used Garmin GPS... Best wishes, my hunts been, dove hunts just the corner.... flag
Posted By: Son of a Blitch

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 08:19 PM

If you need a map to study while you are waiting for the clock to tick down, we're offering 10% off all our mapping products for THF members until the beginning of the hunting season...FYI. cheers
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Bigfoot
Guys I dont know what my problem is right now. Hunting season for me is 3 months away and i am obsessed right now with all things hunting. I cant stop watching hunting programs, I cant stop getting on this site, I am already studying topo maps at the Chapparal WMA just in case I get picked in the drawn hunts and trying to make a game plan for each compartment based on topography. I lay in bed at night planning on what i am going to do this year when deer hunting the SAM. I spent 2 hours in Cabelas and 1 hour in Academy looking at all hunting stuff today. I am trying to learn deer communication by watching anything that will teach me something on youtube. I have been practicing my deer call everyday now for a month and getting good at it.

Well - there's your problem right there - you're SKIPPING DOVE SEASON (starts next WEEK !!!)
Posted By: tlk

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 09:56 PM

gone through it for around 60 years now
Posted By: tlk

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
If you need a map to study while you are waiting for the clock to tick down, we're offering 10% off all our mapping products for THF members until the beginning of the hunting season...FYI. cheers

Nice segway George!
Posted By: rickym

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: Bigfoot

Well - there's your problem right there - you're SKIPPING DOVE SEASON (starts next WEEK !!!)

Yup, summer time hog/exotic hunts and fishing, then dove season starts Sept. 1st.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 11:50 PM

No hog hunting in the off season? There's your problem. You shoulda done kilt a few hogs since end of deer season.
Posted By: texaspirate

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/23/17 11:53 PM

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!! Happens every august... mind switches... Been at the lease a bunch over the summer keeping feeders full and tending things..... Dove Season is awesome way to get started... My year beings with the Hunters Extravaganza every year for Texas Trophy Hunters... always feel I have to go. Been to Bass Pro 10 times just to walk the isles (not buying stuff)... much cheaper than head doc. Hahaha

Happy Hunting to ALL
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/24/17 12:02 AM

Hunting is a year long activity so long as I have squirrels in the yard an my old Benjamin multi-pump twenty-two. grin

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/24/17 12:18 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
No hog hunting in the off season? There's your problem. You shoulda done kilt a few hogs since end of deer season.

Believe me I want to. I just have no place to go and every time one of my so called buddies says he is ready it never happens. One excuse after another.

I even have this bad boy sitting in my house right now but nowhere to go.
Posted By: Creek Henry

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/26/17 03:02 AM

Dove season is in a week. I have been looking for a place to hunt pidgeon in the off season but, alas, no luck. Still, a few rounds of clays takes the edge off between seasons!

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/26/17 01:57 PM

I wonder what hunting is like in a hurricane. Im thinking of grabbing the canoe and heading in to the SAM to look for some hogs. Might need an ARK by the time I get back to civilization though.

Does scuba gear scare hogs?
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Hunting Fever!!! - 08/31/17 04:49 PM

You need new buddies lol...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum