Texas Hunting Forum

Gun List

Posted By: Phantom

Gun List - 01/06/17 04:53 AM

I am making a list of all the guns I own along with the serial numbers, make, models, scopes, etc. I was wondering if anyone else does this. I have 3 safes in 2 places and really want to keep track. What are your thoughts?
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 05:04 AM

Do it. Take pictures and email them to yourself as well-they'll be on the cloud forever and you can access them at any PC in the world if you need them.
Posted By: Jbell99

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 05:06 AM

I did the same thing and made multiple copies and placed a copy in each safe and put it in the notes on my phone and emailed it to myself so I have multiple back ups if needed. Head up though don't let your wife or girlfriend know how much it's all worth or know the actual number of guns lol
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 05:11 AM

How else are they going to track your guns down if stolen if you don't do that?
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 05:24 AM

I do it. Have the make, mod, ser # to every gun I have along with a picture on my computer and I also have them on two flash drives that I have stashed at my moms house and one at my Mother-in-laws.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 04:23 PM

I think people talk too much on the internet.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 04:47 PM

I have a MSWord document for each firearm that included the make, model, serial #, caliber, glass, etc.....along with any history....when/where I got it etc. then have pics (overall and close-ups) pasted in. Hard copy goes in a fire safe...1 file in a folder in my laptop...two flash drives....1 in the safe....1 in my shop.

Do the same for other "property" of value...paintings, jewelry, camera, electronics, computers, furniture, antiques, etc.

Mostly for insurance purposes...but it also will provide inventory/history of items for relatives when I pass.

I still need to do the same for tools in my shop....bigger stuff, plainer, jointer, welder, pneumatic hand tools, etc....
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 04:58 PM

I take pictures of all the SN on rifle and optic if there is one.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 05:11 PM

I use this $15.00 software. It works great, customizeable records guns, accessorizes, ammo....
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 06:20 PM

Also while you are doing this make sure have enough insurance to cover your firearms and scopes a regular homeowners policy only covers $2500 of the firearms excluding scopes you may need to purchase an extra policy to cover the firearms and scopes that you have the National Rifle Association has a great program at a good cost to do so otherwise ,ask you insurance agents about adding a rider to cover the amount of your firearms otherwise you're only going to get $2500 even if you had 20,000 dollars stolen
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 07:02 PM

Yes.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 08:15 PM

I have a list with serial numbers with pictures of each one. I also have a pdf and Word document of the list with pictures that has been sent to my attorney and a couple of close friends. The attorney handles our will etc., and knows how I want them disbursed. The friends are there to make sure my wishes are done as I want.
Posted By: Always ready 2 hunt

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 10:45 PM

Good practice by all that have commented including check your insurance if you got a few of guns as we know they add up quick.
Posted By: rdhibbs

Re: Gun List - 01/06/17 11:48 PM

Originally Posted By: rdhibbs
I use this $15.00 software. It works great, customizeable records guns, accessorizes, ammo....

I thought I put a link in, oh well the software is My Gun Collection by Burnsoft. Well worth $15.00
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Gun List - 01/08/17 07:22 AM

up
Posted By: Marc K

Re: Gun List - 01/08/17 03:30 PM

It is no less than critical to have good records and photos of all valuables/collectables.

But if I had such a file, it wouldn't have all guns/ammo shown on one list. Why? For the same reason I believe in distributed storage of guns, ammo and shiny metals.

Am I paranoid? No, not since the unfortunate offshore boating accident when everything went overboard......
Posted By: TxYoteHunter

Re: Gun List - 01/08/17 06:17 PM

Yep, I've documented all of mine the same. Emailed to my personal and work accounts. Printed a list complete with photos and put in the file cabinet also.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum