Texas Hunting Forum

Neighbor hunting fence line

Posted By: JTS

Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:03 PM

I know, his property and he can do what he wants to with it. I think the feeder is a little too close to the fence. This pic was taken from my side of the fence looking at his stand in the back ground.

Posted By: Zeb B

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:09 PM

Put your stand up to the left of where picture was taken don't worry about putting up a feeder that fence will have deer on both sides.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:09 PM

If he shoots and the bullets travels over your property this is against the law. Notify GW before an accident happens.
Blind can be close to property line but can't shot onto property.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:16 PM

Wow that is close. I do not understand some people. I like the idea of building a blind on your side of the fence.
Posted By: don k

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:27 PM

I know what I would do and have done.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:41 PM

Call GW. Easy fix.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:43 PM

I'd go with the blind on your side of the fence facing his feeder.
Let him spend the money on corn and shoot the deer on your side going to his feeder.
Leave the gut pile on the fenceline right next to his feeder.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/28/16 11:54 PM

Geezuz you just have to wonder what goes through their tiny and I mean tiny mind when they do something like that hammer
Posted By: wtr

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 12:05 AM

Just hunt that fence line. You'll have a spot with free corn!
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Stub
Geezuz you just have to wonder what goes through their tiny and I mean tiny mind when they do something like that hammer

Lets see...
"My property, I can do what I want"
"I don't care if my neighbor likes it or not"
"I've hunted that 12 point for 3 years, its my deer"
just a few of the ones I've heard.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:06 AM

I would kindly ask him how he thinks that his bullet won't travel across your fenceline. If that doesn't work call the GW or get creative.
Posted By: flintknapper

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
If he shoots and the bullets travels over your property this is against the law. Notify GW before an accident happens.

^^^^^^ This
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:30 AM

Build a wall
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: flintknapper
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892

^^^^^^ This

X3

Dangerous situation and against the law. Call the game warden immediately.
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:49 AM

Put up a pop up blind right on the fence, not to hunt out of. Just to make him think about it. 2cents
Posted By: Chico Kid

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:55 AM

Bungee cord some folding chairs to the fence.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Chico Kid
Bungee cord some folding chairs to the fence.

Don't happen to hunt in young county do ya??

Haha, you actually beat me to posting the same exact thing!
Posted By: firestick

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 02:47 AM

If he is stupid enough to do that, then he is to stupid to reason with. Let the Game Warden do the talking.
Posted By: sqiggy

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
Call GW. Easy fix.
Just curious, but what can a GW do about it?
Posted By: CharlieCTx

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Build a wall

... a high wall, and you're going to make him pay for it. Seems to have worked for one guy lately.

Charlie
Posted By: Ranch Dawg

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 04:11 AM

Put a tpost on your side and attach a blow up doll to it. EZ fix.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 05:25 AM

Originally Posted By: sqiggy
Call GW. Easy fix.

There is no way a shot taking at anything under that feeder, from the blind in the background, will stay on their side of the fence. It's illegal to take a shot that knowingly crosses onto someone else's property.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: dkershen
Call GW. Easy fix.

There is no way a shot taking at anything under that feeder, from the blind in the background, will stay on their side of the fence. It's illegal to take a shot that knowingly crosses onto someone else's property.

I agree 100%, but GW's generally can't do anything until an offense has actually been committed. A more proactive GW could easily justify talking to the guy about the potential problems, but no enforcement action can be taken until there is evidence that a bullet actually crossed the fence. Under normal circumstances, that can be difficult to prove.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
Call GW. Easy fix.

I agree 100%, but GW's generally can't do anything until an offense has actually been committed. A more proactive GW could easily justify talking to the guy about the potential problems, but no enforcement action can be taken until there is evidence that a bullet actually crossed the fence. Under normal circumstances, that can be difficult to prove.

I have called a game warden before on circumstances just like the OP. Problem was solved. I guess my experiences were different than others. The feeders were always moved shortly after.
Posted By: tlk

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:13 PM

That picture represents a total lack of decency, respect, and common sense towards another person/neighbor. Amazing what some people will do
Posted By: finesse master

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Build a wall

+1
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 02:00 PM

Try and talk to the hunter first. If not verbally place a note and rock in a zip lock baggie and toss it under the feeder.
Explain to him the danger of shooting your direction and that it's against the law.
Suggest that he move his feeder over to the mesquite tree.
Let him know your trying to handle the situation without involving the GW.
Posted By: brent99

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 02:11 PM

People never cease to amaze me. This person has no decency or concern for others.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 03:48 PM

He is INEVITABLY shooting across your fence line with that setup.

I'd either (i) put up a long plywood barrier and maybe a pop-up blind behind his feeder along your side of the fence (either will have a hole in it if he ever shoots) or (ii) just go ahead and call out the GW.

That's incredibly irresponsible. Unfortunately, we've had people do it at our place, too. Several similar setups along one fence line, from a place that was subdivided into very small plots. We kept all the family away from that pasture (do not cross the hilltop going in that direction) during deer season.
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 03:58 PM

Put a blue chair right by fence facing him !! Works for me😀😀
Posted By: GLC

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 04:50 PM

Anybody else notice that a game camera is on the fence post pointing towards the feeder?
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 07:26 PM

If the GW doesn't get him to move it, build an outhouse there and put it to good use.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/29/16 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: GLC
Anybody else notice that a game camera is on the fence post pointing towards the feeder?

Yeah, you could literally check that thing by swiveling it around using the strap without going past 1/2 the post. I'd have some photoshop fun with that.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: brent99
People never cease to amaze me. This person has no decency or concern for others.

That's putting it lightly.

You can't fix stupid.
Posted By: BDB

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 02:19 AM

I would drive a couple T post on my side along the fence. Zip tie some of those carnival star spinners thingies that turn with the wind and different colors too. Then I would dump a load of unwashed laundry at base of T post. Then I would have another T post behind the front carnival post with my own game camera attached. Then I would have a cheap ground blind 50 yards away....so they always wonder if your in there.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 02:29 AM

I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 06:39 PM

Just put a corn bag with a target on the fence. I posted a pic like you did last year on here and his brother saw it and I got a PM from him. We talked on the phone and he moved it a few weeks later. Nice guy and thought no one was hunting property. It has been leased for almost 20 years but we try keep all blinds and feeders out of view from outsiders. They have zero cover and we have cover.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 06:51 PM

If I was a betting man, when the game warden gets involved, said neighbor will only relocate the feeder 30-40 yards off fence line.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobcat4119
If I was a betting man, when the game warden gets involved, said neighbor will only relocate the feeder 30-40 yards off fence line.

At least that would be 30-40 yards better than where it is now.
Posted By: Bobcat4119

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 07:39 PM

LOL yeah that's one way to look at it!
Posted By: TKM

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/30/16 11:58 PM

Meh. Depends on if I know the guy. If he is a good guy I have no problems at all with it. Made a lot of friends with other hunters as well as land owners just talking to them. No need to get the game warden involved in something he really can't do anything about.
Posted By: twelvetines

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/31/16 10:11 PM

Go to the barber shop and get a bag full of hair and spread it around the area. The human scent will keep any deer from coming in. Also hang empty milk jugs on any trees around the area, the banging noise they make will also scare off his deer.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/31/16 11:45 PM

I see a free camera bolt
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 12/31/16 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: twelvetines
Go to the barber shop and get a bag full of hair and spread it around the area. The human scent will keep any deer from coming in. Also hang empty milk jugs on any trees around the area, the banging noise they make will also scare off his deer.

With in a week the deer will ignore the smell of the hair and the milk jugs will just look trashy. We had the deer hitting a large garden spot so we set up a bird cannon that would go off every so often. It sounded like a cannon, within a week the deer realized it was no threat or danger and were back eating in the garden.
Posted By: splash556

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/01/17 12:34 AM

I've got neighbors on 2 of my fence lines doing the exact same thing. I'm pretty sure they've seen me wih their cameras in all my glory while I whiz on the fence line every time I go by. So far they haven't tried to contact me.
Posted By: leswad

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/01/17 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
I wouldn't worry about it.
Posted By: elstone

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/01/17 04:13 AM

I have heard of similar instances where a blind suddenly appeared overnight about two feet on the opposite side of the fence from the feeder.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/01/17 06:08 PM

I think a lot of times, people lease these little places with no brush for very cheap. They look at the neighbors place and say why pay what those guys do when I can just hunt the same deer.
Posted By: a74aggie

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/01/17 06:46 PM

Lack of common courtesy......
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/03/17 02:17 PM

He might just move the blind against the fence and make his shots travel beside the fence which would make the blind set up legal in regard to his bullet not crossing onto your property. You can try to teach him something all day long, but if he thinks this set up is okay, he doesn't possess the ability to learn.
Posted By: drycreek3189

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/03/17 03:07 PM

I had the same thing happen near Ballinger when I had the lease there. In fact, when I saw the pic, I thought it was the EXACT same stand. I had a stand that I hunted near there and I always parked just across the fence from that feeder. I continued parking there each time I hunted the stand. Never saw anyone in it, I think it was a day hunt operation with very few customers. It must really suck to be a desperate idiot !
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/04/17 02:35 AM

Human scent clearly doesn't bother deer that much when I not only filled a feeder in the morning, shot a deer at it that afternoon, took a leak after loading the deer and had 7 more deer then next morning 12 hours later.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/04/17 03:00 AM

Lots of people on this forum are leasing/selling 20 acre plots to hunt on------------ they are next to 4 fences !!!!!!!
Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/04/17 12:23 PM

I think I would talk to the guy. If not, I would talk to the Land Owner and then the GW. A GW that drops by every day can make a big difference.
Posted By: TX Hitman

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/04/17 01:13 PM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Human scent clearly doesn't bother deer that much when I not only filled a feeder in the morning, shot a deer at it that afternoon, took a leak after loading the deer and had 7 more deer then next morning 12 hours later.

Agree with human scent, however, mountain lion urine will keep almost all wildlife away for awhile.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/04/17 04:55 PM

I wonder how far off it is that we have a setback requirement for blinds/feeders by county for hunting...

People complain about new laws and we have enough and don't need any more, but its this lack of decency and respect that keeps piling them on.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/04/17 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkd106
I think a lot of times, people lease these little places with no brush for very cheap. They look at the neighbors place and say why pay what those guys do when I can just hunt the same deer.

Yep our neighbors are the same on one side. Completely scalped of brush. They just run the fenceline with a road feeder and wait for deer to jump over. Corn actually shooting on both sides of the fence.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/06/17 11:00 PM

If the property is being leased, contact the land owner and ask them to handle it. If it was my property, I'd have that fixed quickly or the hunter would be gone. It is the right thing to do. Plus, as a land owner, I don't want the liability risk of a hunter shooting my neighbor, especially after i was warned.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/07/17 03:04 AM

I saw call the GW. It appears he can't shoot at the feeder without the bullet crossing the fence line.
Posted By: nate33

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/07/17 03:36 AM

To make my previous point, --This is from a THF member ------ I"ll spare him and not put his name on this,,, it is posted at this time. I wonder if he hunts the fence line ?????????
""""""" . I have an 18 acre LF place. I took a couple of Axis off it this year. A Doe and a 2 year old buck. Also one WT Doe."""""
Posted By: nocknload

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/07/17 03:39 AM

Start Dove hunting along the fence line
Posted By: pigplinker

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/08/17 07:18 AM

popcorn
Posted By: supersampson12

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/10/17 03:19 AM

Talk to him about it
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/12/17 03:19 AM

One year our neighbors put a feeder on the fence. Our ranch manager went to their camp and told them to move it or they would never have permission to track a deer on our property and would face trespass charges if they ever crossed. Feeder was promptly moved. Besides that a little curtesy is not hard
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/12/17 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey
One year our neighbors put a feeder on the fence. Our ranch manager went to their camp and told them to move it or they would never have permission to track a deer on our property and would face trespass charges if they ever crossed. Feeder was promptly moved. Besides that a little curtesy is not hard

If your ranch manager walked into our camp making demands and threats he would probably be lucky to make it out of camp without someone whipping his arse after the laughter stopped.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/12/17 04:33 AM

If your ranch manager walked into our camp making demands and threats he would probably be lucky to make it out of camp without someone whipping his arse after the laughter stopped.

That's not very hospitable....didn't say he was being an AH or jerk about it....could have been downright neighborly about it....just saying if it stays on the fence you won't be able to track wounded animals across the fence....but I guess y'alls camp is full of badazzes.....
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/12/17 04:44 AM

You win the award for IBA today cheers
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/12/17 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Grizz
Call GW. Easy fix.

GW told me the same thing. Said that it gives him the ability to talk to the person about it, but there really isn't anything he can do. And if a shot is taken, proven it is almost impossible because of the lack of evidence. He said the intent of the law was discourage this situation and as a way to "stack" charges in conjunction with other more serious offenses like poaching or shooting from a road confused2
Posted By: Jungleexplorer

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/12/17 11:50 AM

Whatever happened to the golden rule, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you". There was a time when neighbors actually did not treat each other like enemies and were actually nice to each other (GASP!)
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/12/17 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr

You win the award for IBA today cheers

And another would have won a weekend in jail and probably lost their lease over such idiocy.
Posted By: txbobcat

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/13/17 08:13 PM

^^^ found the fenceline hunters ^^^
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/14/17 12:57 AM

Boy, I bet everyone here almost peed their pants in fear just reading that. rolleyes
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Neighbor hunting fence line - 01/14/17 01:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Creedmoor

Boy, I bet everyone here almost peed their pants in fear just reading that. rolleyes

scared..................................................................................................... rofl
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum