Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one

Posted By: Navasot

Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/27/16 06:50 PM

Traditions Buckstalker™ .50 Caliber Break-Open Muzzleloader

Its cheap im not looking to do a superblackpowderaroundtheworld slam I just need it to kill a few doe each season... any real hands on experience?
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/27/16 10:59 PM

I have the exact one. I haven't been real happy with it. Locking mechanism that breaks the breach open now doesn't hold barrel in place securely like it used to. I'd go with something a little higher up in quality. Maybe a Thompson Encore. Also mine seems very hard to site in.
Posted By: decook

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 12:54 AM

Go traditional Navasot. You won't have break barrel issues.

And remember,

It takes lead
balls to shoot
a muzzleloader
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 01:55 AM

Most of the CVA muzzleloaders seem to be good pieces, even the lower end models. The Wolf model has killed quite a few for my family and friends...and is pretty easy on the pocketbook. I like my Encore ML, but also use the platform for center fire rifle and pistol hunting.
Posted By: FeetDown

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 03:33 AM

Haven't used the gun you mention, but I do second the positive comment above regarding CVA.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 02:48 PM

I'd hit a pawn shop and find a hawkin replica or similar. They are cheap function and I like the looks. Never cared for modern muzzle loaders, may as well just shoot a rifle.

I shoot a 54 cal hawkin replica with pyrodex and all lead ballets, has killed everything I shot with it fine.

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 03:25 PM

I have an Encore with a centerfire barrel and was thinking of going that direction also but the barrels seem to be as much as another full TC ML

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
I'd hit a pawn shop and find a hawkin replica or similar. They are cheap function and I like the looks. Never cared for modern muzzle loaders, may as well just shoot a rifle.

I shoot a 54 cal hawkin replica with pyrodex and all lead ballets, has killed everything I shot with it fine.

Im not getting one to be the next Davey crocket I have a late ML season that was added to a few of our counties and gona take advantage of it roflmao
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 03:28 PM

If you're not doing it to be Davy Crockett, you're not doing it right.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 04:04 PM

I used to have a CVA Wolf in a 50 cal and it was a pretty good rifle. It locked up fine. Price on it is inline with the Traditions at 180 to 190.
I have the stainless now in the CVA Optima 45 cal. It doesn't corrode not nearly as bad as blue steel does. If you want the barrel to last for a while go stainless. Also I like the "no tools needed" breech plug.
FYI, just the opposite of a regular rifle, keep the barrel clean.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: redchevy

Im not getting one to be the next Davey crocket I have a late ML season that was added to a few of our counties and gona take advantage of it roflmao

I aint got no coon skin cap either.

Just suggesting there are lots of cheap ones used because people get into it for the same reason you are and then realize its more work and they ditch it.
Posted By: Adchunts

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 10:46 PM

I have an Encore with a centerfire barrel and was thinking of going that direction also but the barrels seem to be as much as another full TC ML

Look for a Bergara barrel in .45 or .50 caliber (whichever you prefer). You can usually find them around $200-215 if you do a bit of research. Mine shoots just as good as the Thompson Center barrel it replaced. I bought the 4008S model, which is .50 cal in stainless.

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/28/16 10:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Adchunts

Look for a Bergara barrel in .45 or .50 caliber (whichever you prefer). You can usually find them around $200-215 if you do a bit of research. Mine shoots just as good as the Thompson Center barrel it replaced. I bought the 4008S model, which is .50 cal in stainless.

Thank you sir
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 12/31/16 01:06 AM

Not a Traditions Buckstalker, but use another break action Muzzleloader. H&R SIDEKICK 50cal. Adapted the breech plug to use a 209 primer. So far only one deer, but numerous hogs with it. Heading out in AM to try and add a deer to the tally.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/02/17 02:09 AM

The encore ML is a better barrel and gun then traditions budget

Wish you would of told me I just got rid of 3 ML'ers, grant it they weren't real accurate
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/02/17 02:07 PM

Bought a cheap cva few years ago, never had shot a ml. Went with pyrodex pellets and powerbelt bullets, shoots pretty good at 150. Gonna pull it out for this new muzzle loader season.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/02/17 05:18 PM

This thread had me contemplating a muzzleloader when I went to Cabelas yesterday. They didn't have but a few left.
Posted By: nuprofessor

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/03/17 05:13 PM

UPDATE:
The H&R 50cal now has TWO deer to its credit. Sat thru the downpour early this morning. With all the rain I was praying that the powder stayed dry enough to ignite properly. Kept it pretty well covered. It did- Took a medium size doe this morning.

Shooting: 100gr Blackhorn 209, Fiocci 209 primer, pushing a 245gr PowerBelt HP. Good combo!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/03/17 05:39 PM

Hey Nav, I have a stainless fluted .50 cal bp barrel for an Encore that you can borrow to check out if you want. As long as you promise to take good care of it.

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/03/17 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
Hey Nav, I have a stainless fluted .50 cal bp barrel for an Encore that you can borrow to check out if you want. As long as you promise to take good care of it.

To kind sir thank you for the offer! But I doubt you would be offering if you saw my rifles roflmao Iv talked with a few that have them and sounds like its the way to go for sure though. I really really like that Encore

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/03/17 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: nuprofessor
UPDATE:
The H&R 50cal now has TWO deer to its credit. Sat thru the downpour early this morning. With all the rain I was praying that the powder stayed dry enough to ignite properly. Kept it pretty well covered. It did- Took a medium size doe this morning.

Shooting: 100gr Blackhorn 209, Fiocci 209 primer, pushing a 245gr PowerBelt HP. Good combo!

Nice! Is it scoped?
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Anyone used one of these? Looking to get one - 01/03/17 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

To kind sir thank you for the offer! But I doubt you would be offering if you saw my rifles roflmao Iv talked with a few that have them and sounds like its the way to go for sure though. I really really like that Encore

Dad loved the thing, maybe one day I will get out and shoot it and probably see why he loved it so much.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum