Texas Hunting Forum

for those that wonder if you get your own meat back

Posted By: Troubador

for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/13/16 09:41 PM

i have no doubt you get your own meat back when wanting steaks and whole backstraps etc etc. i had a couple distinct cuts in my backstraps and asked for them to be cut in half and i know i got mine back. BUT i called to ask if i could get more summer sausage made if i bring on my package of ground i had done by them and they said yes and when i took it in they offered to just give me a fresh smoked tube of sausage and put my ground "with the summer sausage batch to be fixed"
Posted By: Bbear

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/13/16 10:16 PM

My experience is it varies from processor to processor and how loaded down they are with work. After a couple of bad experiences, I bought a grinder and do my own except for smoked and summer sausage. And I don't usually get much of that done each year.
Posted By: JCB

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 12:27 AM

That's what I have been telling people for years. It's silly to think they are making and smoking different meats in tiny batches like a lot of hunters seem to think.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 12:39 AM

Bluebonnet in Trenton TX, guarantee you that they keep it separate... they have either 10 or 20 pound minimums depending on what it is, but it's kept separate from start to finish. Some may not, but those two kids have it going on right, and with college degrees to back it up... good people.

http://www.bluebonnetmeatcompany.com/
Posted By: Curtis

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 02:40 AM

I believe it
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)
Bluebonnet in Trenton TX, guarantee you that they keep it separate... they have either 10 or 20 pound minimums depending on what it is, but it's kept separate from start to finish. Some may not, but those two kids have it going on right, and with college degrees to back it up... good people.

That's Hard to Beat..

Been doing our own for years..

I am always scared of getting THIS GUY'S Deer roflmao rofl

Posted By: skinnerback

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 02:48 PM

roflmao

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback
roflmao

Leaving the Teets Up Ranch rofl

This should be okay with the Hide still on a bag of Ice right rofl roflmao
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 04:18 PM

Good stuff. roflmao
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 05:40 PM

What's wrong with that besides it looking funny. That deer is skinned and on ice. A heck of a lot better than most you will see. Might hang it at home.

I took one in opening morning and there was a guy there that bow shot his the night before and it was only gutted. Low was 60 degrees and it was now 1 pm and close to 70. I hope his was not with mine. They did start doing minimum batches of sausage now so they said we get out own back. If not, still tastes dang good. Not been sick in 15 years.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckman
What's wrong with that besides it looking funny. That deer is skinned and on ice.

Other than exhaust fumes, road grime, dust and dirt settling in the cooler, nothing. The wind burn should remove any trace of those, right?
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 05:55 PM

Hopefully that gas jug doesn't leak like mine does.
Posted By: JYG71

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 06:07 PM

I know I have a long way to go but I've been processing my deer since day one. I still need to get proper cuts down better, but butchering is a lifetime process seems like. I have one of those massive 5 day coolers, and I skin and quarter in camp,I salt the meat and skin and place on ice. I place the head in a fly bag, I generally do a euro mount. That way if I have time and I'm not completely worn out I can stay and maybe bag a hog also. I'll actually have enough room for 1 medium sow in the same cooler. With hogs I was taught to use their skin as a cleaning surface and bag, when done I place the gut pile ect in the hog skin, grab the four hooves and seal up like a hobo sake with twine, then I drag it farther out and bury it. Anyone here tan hog skin yet? I heard it makes great tool pouches and soles for moccasins. I'm thinking of trying to tan some.
Posted By: Herbie Hancock

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 06:08 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
What's wrong with that besides it looking funny. That deer is skinned and on ice.

Other than exhaust fumes, road grime, dust and dirt settling in the cooler, nothing. The wind burn should remove any trace of those, right?

What you're not familiar with asphalt aging?
Posted By: JCB

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 06:31 PM

He has a yeti but the deer is in a topless igloo. The beer must be in the Yeti. roflmao
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 07:36 PM

Hess Meat Market in Muenster does them individually in minimum order batches. Good people to boot.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 07:58 PM

You could grind up dog and make good sausage I doubt you would notice .... always do cuts no ground meat

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 08:17 PM

Exactly..

How difficult is it to quarter a Animal and get on Ice..

It's his World I'm just passing thru..

I could care less if he eats *^#% with a Spoon...

IM NOT EATING that up
Posted By: Curtis

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 08:33 PM

I had a guy show up one time with a completely dirty cooler. It had dried blood all over and the smell would make you puke. He told me it's ok, just put the meat in these bags and place them inside. I refused and just put the meat in mine while he washed his out with clorox. He didn't seem bothered by it at all and said he often just puts his meat in bags when that cooler is dirty.
Posted By: rickym

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

Exactly..

How difficult is it to quarter a Animal and get on Ice..

It's his World I'm just passing thru..

I could care less if he eats *^#% with a Spoon...

IM NOT EATING that up

Maybe he likes it seasoned that way roflmao
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/14/16 09:08 PM

Hopefully his cooler lid flew off when the bungie cord came undone. Guess he had no saw or loopers and didn't know how to use a knife??

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/15/16 12:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis
I had a guy show up one time with a completely dirty cooler. It had dried blood all over and the smell would make you puke. He told me it's ok, just put the meat in these bags and place them inside. I refused and just put the meat in mine while he washed his out with clorox. He didn't seem bothered by it at all and said he often just puts his meat in bags when that cooler is dirty.

bang bang

barf barf

I've seen it all Amigo as I'm sure you have...

Like watching a guy cut against the hair as it's FLYING and you ATTEMPT to offer and they say "my Grandpappy"

10-4...Letter Rip Tator Chip roflmao wtf
Posted By: LonestarCobra

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/15/16 12:31 AM

Originally Posted By: Curtis

bang bang

barf barf

I've seen it all Amigo as I'm sure you have...

Like watching a guy cut against the hair as it's FLYING and you ATTEMPT to offer and they say "my Grandpappy"

10-4...Letter Rip Tator Chip roflmao wtf

In situations like that, I usually just comment "yep, I remember my first deer". It usually gets a real good GTH look.
Posted By: D6Ranch

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/15/16 01:43 AM

That's Hard to Beat..

Coming back thanksgiving weekend I passed a trailer like that but had three deer just laying on it with a few bags of ice stacked around each one. Temps where warm. That's the meat that gives venison a "gamey" reputation.

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/15/16 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: D6Ranch

That's Hard to Beat..

Coming back thanksgiving weekend I passed a trailer like that but had three deer just laying on it with a few bags of ice stacked around each one. Temps where warm. That's the meat that gives venison a "gamey" reputation.

Yepper

Start to see them around San Antoine and Brady to the Metromess

It's the Teets UP Ranches ..
Brown it's Down roflmao

Pull into the Processer around Weatherford and start shaking your head...
Posted By: maximum

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/15/16 02:18 AM

mmmmmmmm. . . .deer laig sicles
Posted By: maximum

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/15/16 02:21 AM

since i cut up my own i
know exactly what the score is.
if i eff it up there's nobody to
bark at. the hardest part is
skinning.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/15/16 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JCB
He has a yeti but the deer is in a topless igloo. The beer must be in the Yeti. roflmao

Gotta have priorities!
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/18/16 02:41 PM

I always get MY meat back from MY processor. MY processor is ME! up
Posted By: Wacm

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/19/16 06:18 AM

Saw that in West tx two weeks ago. It was a honda SUV. City folks doing their best
Posted By: Stub

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/19/16 01:37 PM

Took mine to Hirsch's Meat market in Plano. feel very confident I got my meat and all of my meat back, they did a great job up
Posted By: foodieguy

Re: for those that wonder if you get your own meat back - 12/21/16 05:57 AM

In Austin I take mine to Smokey Denmarks- always get back my deer and only my deer.

http://smokeydenmark.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/WILD-GAME-PROCESSING-Why-We-Are-Different.pdf
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum