Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting lease problem with neighbor

Posted By: Chunky Monkey

Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 02:50 PM

So I have this small place that I get to hunt for doing some work for the property owner. She doesn't live in Texas and the neighbor watches over his and her property to keep illegal hunters off of their property (that's another story but they're gone now). He let's me park on his property to walk to my property and we have had a good relationship so far. Well, I shot a doe Saturday morning and he brought his 4-wheeler over to help me get it out so that I wouldn't have to drag it. So, you can tell that he's a decent fella.

When I was getting ready to leave he said that I need to get another doe before Thanksgiving ends because that's when all the hunting will stop. I said that I have all of December to get my buck too. Then he said that there aren't many bucks (not true) and that I can't take one. I have a hunting agreement with the owner that gives me exclusive hunting rights to fill my tags if I should feel the need or desire. This guy could give me a lot of problems if things went "south". How do you think I should deal with this situation to keep the peace?
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 02:58 PM

If you have an agreement with the LO, then there isn't much that he can do about it other than harass you and that would be a different story. If it were me, I would park elsewhere and continue on like normal. And when he said something again, I would kindly let him know that there is an agreement with the LO that he has no say so over.

Or, after a hunt this weekend, let him know you will see him again next weekend and see where the conversation goes from there. I would try really hard to keep the conversation cool.
Posted By: lunkerm

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 03:03 PM

you don't have anything to lose at this point.

While I always believe in being civil and polite, and not needlessly antagonizing anyone, you need to tell him plainly that your agreement is with the landowner, not him. I am in a position that requires me to tell people stuff that they don't want to hear on a regular basis. I've found that it works best to be as brief as possible- literally whittle down what you want to say to about 3 short sentences or less, say it and then SHUT UP. Don't get sucked into an argument.

Back to what do you have to lose- not much. if this guy is actually the de facto decision maker and he doesn't want you to shoot a buck, you're not going to get to. If the landowner is the decision maker, you'll soon have this guy out of the loop. But always be nice... nice and firm.
Posted By: lunkerm

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: FoxTrot
If you have an agreement with the LO, then there isn't much that he can do about it other than harass you and that would be a different story. If it were me, I would park elsewhere and continue on like normal. And when he said something again, I would kindly let him know that there is an agreement with the LO that he has no say so over.

Or, after a hunt this weekend, let him know you will see him again next weekend and see where the conversation goes from there. I would try really hard to keep the conversation cool.

Excellent advice. and never for any reason say the words "I'm sorry" or "I apologize" or act defensive.
Posted By: Rustler

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 03:09 PM

If that agreement is in writing keep it with you, if it is a verbal / handshake agreement get it in writing.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 03:40 PM

He smells like someone who is afraid you will kill "his" buck.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 06:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Exactly, lol
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 06:45 PM

ninja Be nice and keep hunting. Get the agreement in writing and find a new place to park. elmer
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 07:03 PM

First, why is it you park on his place and walk? Is there other place to park and walk in?

I have seen many people "help" that are just being nosey.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 07:06 PM

Yeah, I'd get the agreement in writing and just be friendly, but unyielding.

You start getting hissy with a neighbor like that, you start finding your stuff destroyed.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 07:09 PM

Or shoot your buck and tell him you guess he was wrong, there are bucks out here.

If he gets pissy, you know where you stand.
Posted By: Someone

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/22/16 07:13 PM

sounds to me like someone has some day hunters lined up and or someone on a short lease on property they do not own and have no rights to lease

I would be sure to take a video camera when you head out there after the holidays and see what you see......which will most likely be some people telling you to "get off their lease"

make sure you have WRITTEN permission as the others have stated and make sure to ask those other "leasers" who they "lease" from as they try and throw you off and get the name on video
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 04:24 PM

I have a buddy that is an absentee landowner. Im the caretaker and have hunting privileges. Neighbor is a d***head. He's tried the same stunts with me. Even destroying feeders. Called the G W, that worked for about 2 seasons, then another feeder destroyed. Ended up calling the Sheriff. Vandalism has stopped for now. Needless to say, we are not good buds...He knows that any more B S could put him in jail. Don't be a pushover. Sounds like hes got a big buck on camera that he doesn't want you to get.
Posted By: Creedmoor

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
This guy could give me a lot of problems if things went "south".

Care to elaborate on that a bit? What kind of "problems"?

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 04:47 PM

Please elaborate popcorn
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 05:17 PM

It sounds like the neighbor doesn't have a dog in the fight if your agreement is with the landowner. Don't park on his place anymore. If he says anything else to you about not hunting, poilitely tell him to go F himself.

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 06:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Please elaborate popcorn

Hey ... If he's legal and has permission how could the guy give him "a lot of problems"? I'd just tell him to go away and mind his own business. confused2 Or did I miss something?
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 06:17 PM

It might be a land locked piece of property and that is the only way to it.

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 06:21 PM

That wasn't disclosed. If so, then he's walking a tightrope.
Posted By: yotehater

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/24/16 06:35 PM

Parking on his place and such contact with a neighbor helping him pack out seems it is possible. If the land owner has legal access across the property he needs that in writing also as part of the lease.
Posted By: jt402

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/25/16 05:11 PM

My guess is land locked. Else, why not just drive to the property?

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/25/16 08:23 PM

It isn't landlocked and I am going to try a spot to park that might work. It's just that he could cause a lot of problems by messing with my stuff which would ruin my season. He lives out there so it would be very easy for him to do that without getting caught.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/25/16 09:15 PM

Pretty simple really. Break all communication with the neighbor and avoid him. At least as much as possible. Volunteer no information to him about your hunting, when you go, what you kill, etc. When cornered don't make it obvious. Just keep it polite, short and sweet, have not seen much, wish I could stay and talk, but gotta go, late for a wedding and can't talk, wish I had more time to hunt these days, etc. Don't drive past, park on, or enter from his land. Hell, I would send him a christmas gift outdoors magazine subscription too so he still thinks your his buddy. Keep all your communication with the landowner and keep in your vehicle anything from the landowner you have in writing or email in case you need to show it to a game warden. Even though your legal and have the right if you kill a nice buck, don't brag in town and don't use the local processor. I lost a nice lease near Eden because a guy on our lease kept doing just that. Another group from town came and offered the landowner double our lease cost.

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/25/16 10:00 PM

Good advice right there ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^^ ^ ^ ^

Silence is golden .......... wink
Posted By: postoak

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/25/16 10:08 PM

Has anybody asked how small this place is? If he has to worry about finding a place to park on the property, I am thinking it might be pretty small.
Posted By: PIGLIPS56

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/25/16 10:22 PM

I would have the land owner call him on a 3 way call and explain what your right is to hunting the property that way it is crystal clear and he can not say he said she said and blah blah blah!

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/25/16 10:36 PM

It is a small place with a small county road and no shoulder or place to park off of. Except, for the one I found this evening. I can walk in unannounced, do my business and go about my merry way. So, I think this will work
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/26/16 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: DPirates80
Exactly, lol
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
ninja Be nice and keep hunting. Get the agreement in writing and find a new place to park. elmer
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
First, why is it you park on his place and walk? Is there other place to park and walk in?

I have seen many people "help" that are just being nosey.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/27/16 04:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
It is a small place with a small county road and no shoulder or place to park off of. Except, for the one I found this evening. I can walk in unannounced, do my business and go about my merry way. So, I think this will work

Make every attempt to make that happen, and if you have a gate or gap put a chain and lock on it and park where you can't be seen from the road.
You might be in for a surprise though when you bump into hunters you've never met before.
Have the GW number ready. Also get the permission in writing!
Or at least the name, and contact information of the landowner.
The Sheriff will contact the owner on site! I know this from personal experience!
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/27/16 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Rustler
If that agreement is in writing keep it with you, if it is a verbal / handshake agreement get it in writing.
GET IT IN WRITING
Posted By: HS2

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/27/16 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: PIGLIPS56
I would have the land owner call him on a 3 way call and explain what your right is to hunting the property that way it is crystal clear and he can not say he said she said and blah blah blah!

This ^^^ is good advice. That plus always have the lease agreement in writing and on you. I've found it's always best to keep good relations with neighbors. Best to resolve issues in advance than to have an enemy that can give you trouble for years. This sounds like a small acreage place where you'll be bumping into each other routinely. In the end, you may have to be firm and stand your ground, but best to resolve it up front with communication with the LO.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/29/16 12:11 AM

This guy is letting someone else hunt when you are not there. Figured it out yet??
Posted By: HS2

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/29/16 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: DH3
This guy is letting someone else hunt when you are not there. Figured it out yet??

Ah, he's probably just a nosey neighbor that thinks his view of deer management is the best, even though he's not gotten any other opinions.

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/29/16 01:59 AM

I know I'm probably beating this horse to death, but I'm so interested in how this situation turns out. I've heard some folks say, "why bother, find another place to hunt". To that I say, Heck no, I've put in too much time, money, and effort to just walk away.....Besides, its a deer factory. If the " neighbor" would quit shooting 3.5 year old 8 points, it could be outstanding. Large neighbors, members of "Chalk mountain wildlife management association".
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/29/16 01:52 PM

I bet there's a monster buck running around that he has on camera.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/29/16 02:44 PM

Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Breeds the Sneaky every time roflmao
Posted By: Samuel Ramsey

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/30/16 01:01 AM

Posted By: Elkhunter49

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/30/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Breeds the Sneaky every time roflmao

Yep ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 11/30/16 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: DH3

^ This
Posted By: Buck25-06

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 12/01/16 05:39 PM

man I need some advice land owner next to were i am hunting calls my LO tells him to watch out that i am hunting just north of him not knowing that I actually hunt on His place. I am upset to say the least. My LO and I are cool he says this guy is [censored]. I follow the rules take good care of LO but cant stand back stabbing cowards.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 12/01/16 05:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Buck25-06
man I need some advice land owner next to were i am hunting calls my LO tells him to watch out that i am hunting just north of him not knowing that I actually hunt on His place. I am upset to say the least. My LO and I are cool he says this guy is [censored]. I follow the rules take good care of LO but cant stand back stabbing cowards.

Sounds familiar. I've got someone calling the LO (probably someone that used to be on the lease) about deer I post on here. Saying they're too young, trophy/cull, and/or takin by LO rules. Irritating to say the least

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 12/01/16 05:47 PM

Sounds like good advice would like your opinion on my prob.

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 12/01/16 05:59 PM

Thanks I should probably just forget about it. My old saying is he will still be an #$!@@#$$ in the morning when he wakes up.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 12/01/16 06:13 PM

Some people just run their mouth. Just keep doing the right thing and try to enjoy yourself.

Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor - 12/02/16 01:14 PM

Thanks I am out this morning feeling great looks like a beautiful morning to hunt
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum