Texas Hunting Forum

Sit In Deer Stand All Day?

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/22/16 10:16 PM

Hey Y'all,

Rifle season is right around the corner! I am curious, do y'all sit in the stand all day?

I usually get in the stand around 6:30 am, sit until 10 am. If I don't see anything I leave
Then I come back in the evening around 4:30 pm and sit until sundown.
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/22/16 10:18 PM

Depends on how the day is going. If there is good movement, I'll sit all day. If not, I come back in the afternoon
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/22/16 10:20 PM

No, not all day. Depends on how active a day it is. I usually sit till 10-10:30 but if I've being seeing quite a bit I might sit until noon but no later. Then I'm back in the stand at around 3-3:15.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/22/16 10:24 PM

Not usually but during the rut if they are still moving I may sit all day
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/22/16 10:24 PM

Typically an hour before first light until 10am. Then 3pm until dark during whitetail season. If it's the rut could be all day. If I'm axis hunting in the summer rut, it's pretty much all day.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/22/16 10:28 PM

I usually run out of whiskey before then...
Posted By: don k

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/22/16 10:31 PM

About 30 minutes before the feeder goes off until 30 minutes after. So about an hour.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 12:29 AM

I never even considered sitting in a stand all day. I'm not that mad at 'em.
Posted By: Walkabout

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 12:44 AM

Are you walking in or riding in? Do you always ingress by the same travel route? You might want to mix it up a bit. You would be surprised how fast a smart buck can have you patterned especially if you drive in and park.
Posted By: Ackley_improved

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster

+1!!!

About 9:00 I start dreaming of a breakfast taco or two and some more coffee, and the football games. This isn't life or death for me, but the combo of being in the blind, the fellowship with my family, eating well, and drinking some good wine and beer is what I look forward to.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 01:15 AM

Thirty minutes before the feeder goes off until dark or good light if morning hunt. Like someone above mentioned. I'm not mad at them either. grin
Posted By: maximum

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 01:16 AM

"sit in deer stand all day?"

if i can hack it. some of my best times have
been after 9 when i start hearing trucks and
atv's starting up to an hour-2 hours after that.
jmo- i'm out there to hunt. i'll stay at home
close to the t.v. and toilet if i want comfort.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 01:31 AM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Thirty minutes before the feeder goes off until dark or good light if morning hunt. Like someone above mentioned. I'm not mad at them either. grin

yup
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 01:32 AM

Some times all day. Pack lunch, thermos of coffee, water 2 bottles one for hot chocolate in the cold days, snacks, I pad, two guns one night vision. If not moving do a little walk and stalk then back to blind. Dinner around 8 back out after pigs around midnight.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 02:39 AM

hour before light until 9:30 then into town for breakfast and my second nap of the day....1st one was in the stand just before sun up. Then back at 3 until dark.
Posted By: shea.mcphail

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Ackley_improved
Originally Posted By: scalebuster

+1!!!

About 9:00 I start dreaming of a breakfast taco or two and some more coffee, and the football games. This isn't life or death for me, but the combo of being in the blind, the fellowship with my family, eating well, and drinking some good wine and beer is what I look forward to.

This is me. Being with the family and getting a break from reality is why I hunt.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 02:43 AM

Only during the rut if they are really moving. Otherwise out at 930 back in at 4
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 02:47 AM

If during the rut we get a particularly nasty, cold and wet front, I will sit all day. Maybe a short break around noon but I get back at it pretty quick and early.
Posted By: Gone to Texas

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 03:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Walkabout
Are you walking in or riding in? Do you always ingress by the same travel route? You might want to mix it up a bit. You would be surprised how fast a smart buck can have you patterned especially if you drive in and park.

I walk in the same route every time. I'll try changing it up this year, thanks!
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 11:31 AM

With today's Web-enabled smartphones and tablets, it's definitely much easier to sit in the stand all day without getting bored.

And yes, mature bucks will pattern you by both the time you enter their neighborhood, as well as your chosen path.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 01:15 PM

Depends on what the lunar tables are showing me for the major and minor feed times and what time of year/location that I'm hunting. The choice for me to sit longer or all day varies.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 03:25 PM

If the rut is going on and its cloudy and cool, yes. Otherwise done at 10. Back in the stand around 1600
Posted By: kry226

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/23/16 06:43 PM

I've killed a big deer in the midday, but it was on the tail of a big weather system. Under normal conditions, my TCs just don't capture that much midday movement, and certainly not enough to warrant an all day sit. 99% of midday movement I've seen are 18 month old lonely bucks looking for love, who wouldn't know what to do with it if he found it.

With the right weather (dark, cloudy, cold, and damp), it can pay off. But maybe not. laugh
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 01:53 AM

In 45 minutes before the feeder goes off and stay as long as activity is there. never leave before 9 or 10. If the weather is right I will come back around noon for the afternoon. do some reading if it is slow.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 02:02 AM

I have during the rut in Kansas but it has been a long time since I have done it in Texas.
Posted By: MClark

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 02:56 AM

If cool and cloudy I will go out in the dark and stay till sunset.
If warm and no action at all I will go back to the ranch house and see if there is anything I can help the land owner with.

M
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 11:51 AM

Got one guy on my place that goes to the stand with enough stuff for a short vacation. He sits there all day most times. I usually get in about 30 minutes before first light and climb down about 10am unless it's one of those cold and drizzly "morning all day" days, or if I'm seeing lots of activity. Most days I'll come it about 10am, back out about 2:30pm-dark.
Posted By: DPirates80

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 12:44 PM

I typically go from 5am-10am then I get back around 2pm til sundown, but I hunt national forest so I try to get settled in cause you never know when someone my jump in on your spot.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 12:45 PM

peep All day for me. I will get out of the blind and make a pile about 7am every morning. If I get tired of sitting in my blind I will go sit and watch a trail, but I take enough food, coffee and toilet paper for the day. clap
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 02:12 PM

The best part of a hunting trip is the nap around 10 when I come back in.

JR
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 02:20 PM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards
The best part of a hunting trip is the nap around 10 when I come back in.

JR

X2
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 03:19 PM

Morning usually until 10:00, afternoon I like to go back out around 2:00. I've done all day sits several times during the rut....the second biggest buck I've killed was at 1:15 PM. During the rut a lot of bucks will travel mid-day.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 03:23 PM

Nope.. only during bow season... on a normal day though if the weather is right ill sit 30 minutes before light until 11 then back in the tree around 3
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 03:24 PM

I'm a little surprised to see folks saying they don't get back into the stand until 4-4:30pm. I love the afternoon hunts; especially during December and January. I guess my ideal times are half an hour before the sun until 9-9:30 in the mornings, and then back at 3pm or so. I'll hunt most of the day if they're moving.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 03:25 PM

Afternoons usually are a bust here other than rut... I get best action from daylight to noon.. every area is different
Posted By: Buddy

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 04:20 PM

I like to give everyone else time to go back in first, seems to stir activity some days. Typically will sit till 9:30 or 10 and may take a short walk if it is really slow to check paths. I like to be back in stand by 3:30 till dark, if its full moon or bright night, I like to sit and watch for the pigs to show up.
Posted By: ErnestTBass

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 08:44 PM

I've always done better on afternoon hunts in our area.

Sit from before daylight until usually 9 or 9:30 or whenever the deer appear to have stopped moving. In the afternoon, sit from 3:30 to dark.

I like to walk hunt or drive and spot/stalk some during the day. I can't sit in a stand all day. Too ADHD. Not gonna lie. Plus I like getting back to camp, talking to people, eating a nice meal, watching some CFB, and then getting out and driving or walk hunting some as a group. Fortunately, we've got enough ground we can do that without disturbing stand areas.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/24/16 09:43 PM

I'll sit all day, but never expect to see anything midday. I just figure I may as well hang out if the weather is nice and cold. Early season, when it's still warm I don't sit all day. I'll sit all day even more this year since I have an actual blind. I sat all day several times last year in an open top tripod
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/25/16 12:10 AM

Oh hail no. I gots better thangs to do. usually cooking or dranking. I aint that mad at em. I will kill a goodun or I will kill a doe or two later.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/25/16 12:19 AM

I've been known to sit all day later in the year on a cold light rain kind of day. Seen my biggest deer last year around 1:30 from a ground blind.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/25/16 12:44 AM

depends on how they are moving, I kinda go by the moon
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/25/16 01:05 AM

Originally Posted By: poisonivie
Oh hail no. I gots better thangs to do. usually cooking or dranking. I aint that mad at em. I will kill a goodun or I will kill a doe or two later.

up
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Sit In Deer Stand All Day? - 10/25/16 01:44 AM

Not all day,but when rut looks to be on will be in stand till 9,then back out after breakfast at 11. Then back at 3:00. Bucks on my place are already swelled up and chasing does but no action. Scrapes are freshened everyday at 7and7. Does not ready yet. But the boys are getting there, just no fights yet. I have seen more deer move at midday and dusk lately
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum