Texas Hunting Forum

New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please

Posted By: Mako My Day

New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 07/23/16 04:56 PM

We were lucky enough to get a cow tag for my son in New Mexico Unit 50. The hunt is December 26-30 and we have started our research. I have never elk hunted before, so any advice is welcome. Looks like a good unit, had a youth success rate of 83% for the same hunt last year. We will look for a place to stay once we zero in on an area to hunt.

I am sure we can get some helpful hints from everyone here, the New Mexico forum users have been less than vocal, not one single response. I am not looking for someone to lead us to their honey hole, just tips on looking for and finding a cow elk.

Thanks in advance! Allen
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/03/16 02:09 PM

Go to www.monstermuleys.com and look in the New Mexico section.
You can get alot of good info there.

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/04/16 03:43 PM

Thank you Fish. I joined that board, and have gotten a couple of good contacts from out there.
Posted By: Texas Tatonkas

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/04/16 04:03 PM

Congrats, that should be fun.....depending on the moisture, a lot of that area could be covered in snow that time of year. If it were me, I would start at 285 south of Ojo Caliente because you have both sides of the road for a long way that is huntable. Cow elk shouldn't be hard to find, but at the same time people are much more willing to help youth than adults, so when you get there I wouldn't hesitate to ask for some tips on where to go.

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/05/16 02:50 PM

Thank you Texas for the tip. I just got my map of Carson yesterday, plan on doing some studying this weekend. I am considering hiring a guide for the first couple of days, since we have never elk hunted before. That way I could get a good lay of the land, and exactly what we should be looking for as far as areas go. We are really excited about going, elk is on my bucket list, but if I can put my son in position to have a successful hunt, that is just as good. I have never been afraid to ask for help, and some good contacts have started to come in through all of the boards now. I think that most hunters are willing to help others learn, they just want to make sure they aren't giving away any secret spots first! Have a great day
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/05/16 03:38 PM

Check with the local Game Warden in unit 50. I would think the elk would be in the lower elevation, that time of year.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/05/16 05:29 PM

Ojo Caliente baths are worth stopping at especially after you spend a few days hiking, sleeping on the ground and cleaning an elk.
Posted By: cynikaltracker

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/05/16 09:35 PM

I have hunted out there the last 4(?) years. We have always concentrated on Cerro Montoso, and ventured a little up on Cerro De La Olla. We archery hunt, so we mapped out where some water was, not sure that will really help you in the middle of winter. PM me if you are going to head up to the northern part of the unit and I will see if I can pass on any useful knowledge.

Re: New Mexico Youth elk hunt Unit 50 advice please - 08/06/16 01:30 PM

Thank you all for the tips! Cynical, I might take you up on that pm once we start studying maps. That is one of the areas someone recommended. Really looking forward to this trip!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum