Texas Hunting Forum

Input on feeder and blind location.

Posted By: Chuck Cox

Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 02:08 AM

Where would y'all put your feeder and blind on these wheat fields?
Posted By: nak

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 02:46 AM

Deer or pigs?
Posted By: DonPablo

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 03:41 AM

Let me spend a few weeks out there hunting and I'll let you know. grin

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: nak
Deer or pigs?

Deer. I am just going to put up a new setup in the front of the lease so I can hunt when it rains to much.
Posted By: GLC

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 11:58 AM

I would first look for trails or how they travel. You want to be between their bedding and food/water source. You want to be close to where they normally travel not trying to draw them into a different routine. That way even if they are not hitting corn you will still be in the general area of their movements.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 01:04 PM

Right on the edge of that Wheat field
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 02:23 PM

Is there a water tower around there to see all of it? grin
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 02:30 PM

At work the photos are blocked, so I will just say that if possible always set your stand "south" of your feeder. That way you are looking north and will never have the sun in your eyes during the morning or evening hunts.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 03:19 PM

I would put the blind at the tip of the first peninsula that's pointing northwest.

I wouldn't bother putting a feeder out.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 03:41 PM

It's really hard to say without knowing the size of the fields, but I'd place the feeder on the tree line where there won't be much of any shadow in the morning and evening, and place the stand where there will be a shadow.

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPig
It's really hard to say without knowing the size of the fields, but I'd place the feeder on the tree line where there won't be much of any shadow in the morning and evening, and place the stand where there will be a shadow.

Pretty much from North to South is 800 Yards and East to West is 450 yards. I was thinking about putting my stand on the south brush line of the middle portion of the field and the feeder on the north brush line of the middle portion.
Posted By: Western

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/27/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Right on the edge of that Wheat field

^^This

I'd have my blind on the N side of a field and the feeder on the south edge (wind direction concerns)

The top field in the center looks like a great spot, near the choke point, then you can see into both larger ares of wheat, plus the field edges are closer, so good travel route.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/28/15 08:51 PM

You have two potential travel lanes on those fields. One heads to the SE towards what looks like the main gate. For that area I might put a stand right inside the gate on the edge of the small patch of brush/timber near the main road. If you were putting a feeder, I'd stick it about half-way up the right side of the bottom field.
The second travel lane is the stretch heading to the fence. It appears there is a pond on the other side of the fence from that finger and a small gap between the finger and the neighbor's fence. For that one I may put a stand on either side of the narrow point to the north of that finger and a feeder on the edge of that finger. Stand placement for this one is probably more critical as I can't tell where/if there is a bedding area between the road and the narrow gap.
That narrow gap could also be a travel corridor as well.
Deer will often travel the edges of these fields prior to entering them. Wherever you place the stand(s), be sure to set up where you can see those edges and maybe into the brush/woods a bit.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Input on feeder and blind location. - 10/28/15 09:03 PM

I would put multiple blinds for various winds. I would also put them in the easiest places to get in and out of without alerting deer. I see 3 or 4 really good looking spots that might look a lot different from the ground.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum