Texas Hunting Forum

Wearing Orange?

Posted By: sjones

Wearing Orange? - 02/04/09 05:14 AM

Are you supposed to wear orange while out squirrel hunting or is that just during deer season on public lands?thanks.sj

Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/04/09 05:20 AM

no, you wear pink when hunting squirrels...espically if you're from waxahachie

Posted By: Superduty

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/04/09 05:21 AM

Quote:

no, you wear pink when hunting squirrels...espically if you're from waxahachie

Wrong, But Funny!

Shane

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/04/09 06:48 PM

wearing orange on private land in TX is a personal choice..not required

Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/04/09 07:18 PM

Quote:

Are you supposed to wear orange while out squirrel hunting or is that just during deer season on public lands?thanks.sj

From the TPWD page:
All persons on public hunting lands (state, national forests, and grasslands) during daylight hours when hunting with firearms is permitted must wear at least 400 square inches of hunter orange material with orange headgear, and at least 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back.

Exempt from these requirements are:

persons hunting turkey, migratory birds, alligators, or desert bighorn sheep;
persons within the enclosed passenger compartment of a motor vehicle; or
persons within a designated campground, designated vehicle parking area, designated boat launching facility, or departmental check station.

Posted By: kdub

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/05/09 03:39 PM

Ive thought about wearing it while walking out of some public placs after duck hunting. Some people will shoot in any direction, at anything.

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/05/09 04:30 PM

Quote:

Straight from the book, hope this helps.

Hunter Orange: No hunter orange is required while hunting on private property, but it is recommended. Public hunting lands require 400 square inches of daylight florescent orange with 144 square inches appearing on both chest and back, and daylight florescent orange headwear must be worn. (See Prohibited Acts on Public Hunting Lands (PDF 57.4 KB) offering Hunts by Special or Regular Permit.)

Posted By: chestnut

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/05/09 04:39 PM

I don't think that applies to the National Forests. I believe you only have to wear orange during deer season -- and only then if you are hunting.

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/05/09 04:49 PM

Quote:

I don't think that applies to the National Forests. I believe you only have to wear orange during deer season -- and only then if you are hunting.

You may be right but I wouldn't bet on it. The way it's written doesn't say just during deer season, it just says hunting. To be sure I'd either contact TP&W people, either the park or facility manager or a GW.

Posted By: chestnut

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/05/09 05:16 PM

You are correct -- I just refreshed my memory. Anyone hunting or anyone accompanying anyone hunting must wear orange

"except when hunting fur-bearing or predatory animals at night or when hunting turkey or migratory birds".

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/07/09 04:50 AM

I've never worn it while hunting the National Forest outside of deer season.

Posted By: kdmason

Re: Wearing Orange? - 02/07/09 08:47 PM

Orange is not req'd on private land... just public land.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum