Texas Hunting Forum

Learning how to aim

Posted By: kdmason

Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 05:58 AM

Okay guys, I have never claimed to be a teacher. Actually I suck at it.
I got my 6 year old boy a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas. I set a target 15 feet away, explain to him the process of hitting the target and most every time he hits above the box the target is on. He is getting frustrated.
Is there a interactive style "game" that would help him grap the idea of putting the barrel sight in line with the front sight?

Thanks-
Kenny

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 06:06 AM

Instead of an interactive game, try starting him out closer to the box.

Start at 5 feet, then after he gets to consistently hitting his aim point at that distance, then move him out to 10 feet, then out to 15, and so on.

Interactive games can teach hand eye co-ordination, but actual practice with the gun can't be replaced. JMO.

Posted By: GUTIT

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 06:20 AM

That is how I started my boys and they are actually better shots than me now. They are 18 and 12 now. Word of advice, keep it fun for the kids. They can get frustrated quick.

Enjoy.

Posted By: MaggieMTx

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 06:28 AM

+1 for keeping it fun...also have patience

Posted By: mossberg man

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 06:43 AM

is he consistently hitting high in the same spot?? if so he is aiming right, i have shot a daisy many times in my life and notice that a daisy puts an heck of an arc on the shot, just tell him to aim lower.

Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 08:37 AM

Have you shot the gun and tested the accuracy itself? Also do some google searching, there is a possibility of a eye dominance mixup. For example if he is right handed but his left eye is dominant.

As well, here is some tips on learning how to shoot a gun.http://hubpages.com/hub/Shoot-A-Gun

Talk him through a smooth trigger pull, not flinching or closing his eyes right before he fires. Targets can also be intimidating, trying to keep it right on the bulls eye. Confidence is everything.

Posted By: 1tex

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 03:49 PM

Two cardboard cut outs,one off the front sight and one of the rear sight.Use them to show him how to line them up and onto his target!

Posted By: kdmason

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 05:54 PM

the cardboard cut out maybe what I have to do. I will try to move the target closer as well. All post are good advice. Thanks guys. I can't wait for it to warm up outside.
Thanks again-
kdmason

Posted By: ILUVBIGBUCKS

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 06:13 PM

All very good advice above! Keep it simple and fun. Check the gun to make sure it is on and move the target closer so that they can see they're hitting it. As soon as the grouping is good and around the bullseye, scoot it back 5' or so.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 07:23 PM

We started out on aluminum cans. That seems to keep a Kids interest up when just getting started.

Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 07:37 PM

Quote:

I got my 6 year old boy a Red Rider BB gun for Christmas.

OMG - you shouldn't have - he'll shoot his eye out...

Posted By: MarkG

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 09:20 PM

Check the dominance of his eyes, 2 of 4 of my kids are left eye dominate and it will effect things, like if they ask about leaving both eyes open when using a scope and dad says sure and he misses 4 deer at 50 yards hitting the same spot 3' in front on all 4 before you think it though. It's a wonder that poor boy ever hunted again. He tagged out last weekend so I guess he got over it.

Posted By: Plinkin'

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/26/09 09:39 PM

I'm sure you are, buy just in case, a safety note. Also teach him the routine use of safety equipment, EVEN with an air rifle. Habits are started early, good or bad. And let him always see you follow the same steps.

Eyes, trigger pull, ambient conditions, sights...lots of little things make bigger differences down range. Maybe you'll even learn of an issue with his eyes, so rule that out as well.

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/27/09 12:32 AM

Great idea about eye dominance. I had to buy some clear glasses and tape over one eye for my Grandson. It worked.

Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/27/09 02:07 AM

Quote:

Great idea about eye dominance. I had to buy some clear glasses and tape over one eye for my Grandson. It worked.

Yeah ive seen a few people at the range with their kids wearing an eye patch of some sort to make it easier

Posted By: texasd

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/27/09 09:50 PM

if all else fails scope it

Posted By: Jason B

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/29/09 05:56 AM

Search shoot where you look. My wife's great uncle is the guy in the vid.

First thing to do is cut the sights completely off the gun. It's amazing how it works and it's geared towards kids.

Posted By: cajundave

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/29/09 06:14 AM

I worked a lot on rifle ranges in the ARMY and we always did this in order with the ones having trouble.

1. Safety
2. Eye dominance
3. example of sighting in target (cardboard idea is a good one)
4. position of keeping the rifle steady
5. Squeeze trigger until it surprises him
6. Concentrate more on grouping first rather than a bullseye

By the way, to make it as fun as can be for a kids is to use things like a swinging shooting target, a shaken up soda can, balloons(especially with flour in them), a two liter filled with water, and the "never to be tried at home or without Dad" one is a balloon filed with gun powder over a lite candle. So much for my safety first list.

Posted By: MogulRanch

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/29/09 08:05 AM

take him to bass pro and let him shoot on the arcade there so he builds some confidence. you dont want him getting frustrated, thinking he cant do it right and then giving up.

Posted By: Tbar

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/29/09 08:17 AM

Like others have said......move the target closer to improve his confidence.

Work on his form........assume a comfortable shooting position.......take a deep breath.......exhale.......slowly squeeze the trigger. He should be surprised when it goes off.

Tbar

Posted By: WyattT

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/30/09 04:13 AM

there are various methods to check eye dominance, you must do this.

id say leave the scope off, open sights first

get reactive targets, fill ballons with air, they are real big.

Posted By: cody

Re: Learning how to aim - 01/31/09 01:03 AM

Quote:

get reactive targets, fill ballons with air, they are real big.

Ditto, started mine shooting balloons. Who cares about bullseyes at this point if he can hit a 14" circle he gets a pop. Fun for them.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum