Texas Hunting Forum

Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there

Posted By: EllisCountyHunter

Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 11/23/14 05:03 AM

I know this is Texas but I'm looking to purchase land there as get away and was wondering if anyone has any experience with that area before. It's by Moyers32 / Antlers.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 11/23/14 05:53 AM

That's some pretty country, but my real experience in that area dates back about 60 years, so I am no help.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 11/23/14 10:48 PM

I had 60 acres up there that I sold about 8 years ago. Beautiful country and there are some good deer around. My personal best 10 point came off the mountain. Be aware there are some mountain lions and big hogs in the area.
Posted By: HCGedge3

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 11/25/14 12:50 AM

There are some really great deer in OK. The quanity isn't as much as Texas but the bucks are very good!
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 11/29/14 02:18 AM

My grandparents had a cabin east of Talihina. Actually just on the other side of Whitesboro. We always saw tons of deer. Quite a few really big 8's and some big 10's.

Also saw black bear a few times each summer. Lots of old mountain roads. We would ride dirt bikes all over the place up there. Lots of wildlife and very few human civilization.
Posted By: trapperben

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 11/29/14 02:38 AM

I lived there a few years 50+ years ago and it remains one of the prettiest places I have seen. Think it also had the most ticks I have ever seen. If I could find some reasonable price land I would jump on it.
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 11/30/14 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: trapperben
I lived there a few years 50+ years ago and it remains one of the prettiest places I have seen. Think it also had the most ticks I have ever seen. If I could find some reasonable price land I would jump on it.

Plus 1 on the TICKS. Little buggers are everywhere.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 12/01/14 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By: fredeboy
Originally Posted By: trapperben

Plus 1 on the TICKS. Little buggers are everywhere.

Great area.
Be Carefull, thought. Big BUGGERS, in and out of the area as well.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 12/01/14 05:26 PM

Lots of pressure if your hunting public property. Lots of 4 wheeler traffic, lots of road hunting and an occasional marijuana farm you might run into also. Pretty country though.
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Kiamichi Wilderness in Oklahoma?? Anyone hunt there - 12/01/14 06:47 PM

You might keep an eye out for this guy too....

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum