Texas Hunting Forum

I need help with gun safety

Posted By: hunter53

I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 08:17 AM

I belong to a gun club that has about 250 members,we have a rifle range,pistol range,trap,skeet,and 5 stand.It is a nice comfotable place to shoot,however every once in awhile we will have an uncomfortable situation arise where someone isn't practicing safe gun handleing habits.I was wondering if anyone knows of any safety videos that might be available for viewing.

Posted By: Plinkin'

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 08:28 AM

Hopefully you'll get some video input/advice. But, sounds like more is going on than videos will address, unless you can require members to pass through a video attendance session?

Sounds like rules, porper instruction, and an "on duty" rangemaster would help.

Posted By: CoolBreeze

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 09:17 AM

I agree with plinkin need a rangemaster there any time a weapon is being fired and also your gun club might consider in order to gain entry into the club you must have taken a gun safety course to include firing of firearms proper magazine changes,clearing jams,etc.

Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 09:31 AM

I don't think a video is going to cut it. It sounds like they need someone telling them what can and can't be done. If they cant then send them home for the day. A rangemaster is the only way.

Posted By: Screwdriver

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 09:53 AM

I would agree with a rangemaster being necessary if we're talking about a public range, but that shouldn't be the case with a private club. Every member should be a rangemaster in a private club.

Posted By: BMD

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 10:16 AM

WTF?

Posted By: TXSNIPER

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 10:29 AM

Hunter, I think maybe what Scott means is that this should be posted in the "Open Discussion" thread.

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/10/09 06:17 PM

If they don't have or get a range master, have a tee shirt made for yourself that syas RANGE MASTER at least when YOU are there you'll be in control!
(Hey that's a good idea I think I'll do it myself!)

Our range has monthly meeting, if yours does, attend the meeting and get it on the agenda.

Posted By: DavKind

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/11/09 01:10 AM

The way we do it at gp is the first member there is the rangemaster .And all new mamber have got to attend orientation on bylaws and rules before they get keys & card .

Posted By: hunter53

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/11/09 06:02 AM

After a lenghty discussion today at the monthly meeting it was decided that the rangmaster was to be the first person at the range.Second, rules could not be broken, then enforced if they were not posted to begin with.Third we felt that all members should attend a safty orientation and then sign a document that they intend to abide by all safty rules, there by showing any body interested that the club has done everything possible to insure the safty of all.
We also intend to post at all the shooting areas the safty rules pertaining to that area.
this is a private club designed for the shooting enjoyment of the club members.
We would like to find out if there are any range safty video's available out there that we might use for the people that need to be shown what safty means.
thanx michael

Posted By: Exbellicus

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/11/09 09:04 AM

Here is a quick google result of one. Hope it helps.
http://www.usashooting.com/video.php

Also, it might be worth some fun and good laughs if you guys made your own?! I bet a lot more people would pay attention if it was their friends and fellow club members telling them these things. If it was good enough, you guys might even be able to sell it online or something to other clubs like yours.

Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: I need help with gun safety - 01/11/09 07:19 PM

Quote:

A rangemaster is the only way.

Agreed.

If this is a club, perhaps you could begin a volunteer program where members share that duty, at least during peak shooting periods. Anyone caught twice is thrown out of the club.

My daughter participats in a youth soccer program where parents volunteer their time to be Field Marshalls. It works very well at controlling and reporting parents who forget that it's just a game.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum