Texas Hunting Forum

West Texas Holiday

Posted By: txshntr

West Texas Holiday - 10/02/14 11:29 PM

Didn't make it out last weekend, so snuck away from work a little early for the cold front. Got down in time to check some cards and make the afternoon hunt. It is a breezy 96 degrees, but there is a north wind, which is what I need to hunt the stand that has a buck coming in that I really want to put my eyes on.

He is a nice ten with good mass, but looks older in some pics and younger in others. I have yet to get a good clear picture of him. There are 3 other very nice eights, but not sure if they are shooters yet.

I have two doe and two yearling feeding in front of me and waiting for one of the big boys to show up.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/02/14 11:37 PM

cheers Good luck.
Posted By: Western

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/02/14 11:47 PM

Good luck, buck sure looks to have some great mass in that Mattel photo LOL

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/02/14 11:52 PM

bang Tired of looking at a sideways pic grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/02/14 11:56 PM

Thanx STX, hard to see the world the way Trex does LOL

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/02/14 11:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
Thanx STX, hard to see the world the way Trex does LOL

Like I tell the ladies...we are the same height laying down bolt

Thanks STX. Phone doesn't give me the option bang
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:18 AM

Good luck.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:19 AM

Set up for a perfect shot

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:19 AM

Well? popcorn

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Well? popcorn

BTW, while you're waiting, I forwarded the part "Like I tell the ladies...we are the same height laying down" to your wife, so expect a party when ya get home!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:26 AM

Nah. Waiting to see if the ten shows up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:28 AM

Well? popcorn

BTW, while you're waiting, I forwarded the part "Like I tell the ladies...we are the same height laying down" to your wife, so expect a party when ya get home!

She has been with me around 11 years or so...she has heard it.

Bachelor group of young uns just came in
Posted By: mbavo

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:31 AM

Good luck!
Be careful.
Watch out for snakes.
About stepped on a small rattler last Saturday night after walking out from the evening hunt.
Then we killed about a three footer Sunday morning.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Well? popcorn

She has been with me around 11 years or so...she has heard it.

Bachelor group of young uns just came in

Maybe the 10 is bringing up the rear up

I sent her the photos grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 01:11 AM

No ten...the morning should be prime!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 01:11 AM

Should be nice a cool too!
Posted By: charliet

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 01:15 AM

Good luck Hunter
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 02:11 AM

Good luck! elmer cheers
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 02:42 AM

wow, nice looking animals.

I can't wait to get out Saturday
Posted By: Seadog

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 04:29 AM

Good luck!!! So far all I've seen the last few days is does with fawns, a baby buck with 3" spikes and a mature heavy 8 point which I couldn't get a clean shot on!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 04:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
Good luck!!! So far all I've seen the last few days is does with fawns, a baby buck with 3" spikes and a mature heavy 8 point which I couldn't get a clean shot on!!!

Good luck. Hope the weather change gets em moving for you up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 04:54 AM

I'm just glad that I found a lease within my budget with some nice bucks on it!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 06:11 AM

Good luck. Hope the weather change gets em moving for you up

I bet this weather will get them on the move.
Posted By: kry226

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 11:54 AM

Good luck! up
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:28 PM

Very nice 10! I hope you get to pull the string on him.

Good luck. cheers

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 12:50 PM

Back at it again...been an eventful morning

I would like to meet a weatherman one day for the sole purpose of kicking him in the nuts...weather calling for a north wind through Friday evening. Got up this morning and absolutely no wind. Get to the stand and it is S/SW bang

This set is for a north wind but we have a tree stand set up (2x12 in a mesquite tree) set up for a SW wind for rare occasions. With the location, it is not a stand you want to hunt much and is close to where the deer come in. Well, I grab my bow with no other choice and climb the tree.

Feeder doesn't go off. Haven't checked it yet, but will before I leave. Worked fine last night, so I am assuming when the battery was changed by my BIL last week, it didn't get reset. Oh well, still corn on the ground.

About 7:15, had a 7 pointer and a 4 pointer literally walk directly under me. Didn't smell me, walked in, ate about 5 minutes and wandered off. About 7:30, I can hear something running from the east. A fawn comes barreling through at Mach 7, think she hit every tree on the trail and a doe was about 30 yards south doing the same thing...4 yotes hot on their trail and spaced about 10 yards apart. The deer circled and two yotes split north to cut them off. They hit my scent and all 4 peeled off. Have no clue where mamma and baby went.

I can feel the wind starting to change directions and is probably going to swing to the north...so this hunt might be about over bang

Beautiful morning and was 51 when I got out of the truck. Very light winds and clear skies.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 01:07 PM

Hope things start going your way. I can't wait til tomorrow morning.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 01:48 PM

popcorn
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 02:10 PM

Needed a .22 and a suppressor, go to work on those yotes...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 02:25 PM

Sounds like a nice morning, at least the things under your control.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 02:46 PM

Too bad you didn't get a shot at one of yotes. Good luck this eveningup

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/03/14 11:04 PM

"Cold front" didn't last long...I am sweating my rear off bang

Wind is very light and pretty inconsistent. Still mostly out of the north, so hear I sit waiting one more time for the 10.

I tried to fix the feeder and when I did, found out what the problem is...hot wire is burning up where it attaches to the motor bang Dang near caught on fire with my "fix"'. Looks like I will be out here again tomorrow and might need a new motor.

I have decided if a doe comes in early or is here at last shooting light, I am taking her.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 12:55 AM

popcorn

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 01:03 AM

That sucks about the feeder motor!!! Good luck!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 01:18 AM

Wasn't much to update until the very end. The ten I was after and a nice 8 came in at last light. If they had changed places, I could have shot. As it was, I barely could see the ten and never got a good look at his body...but his horns over cactus are impressive.

8 wasn't no slouch. Pic sucks (and is sideways hammer) because it was late but you might get s little idea. I have some game pics of him I will post later

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 01:27 AM

Well Trex, you play'ed it right though, picked the right stand, so you get a point for that. Even in the poor photo, you can tell that buck has some nice headgear.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 01:33 AM

Good looking buck!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 02:04 AM

cheers

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 11:51 AM

Get him! coach

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 12:33 PM

Another beautiful morning. Upper 40's, very light breeze out of the south and clear skies. Had to move stands and doesn't look like I will get a chance to hunt the ten again this weekend and probably won't be back for a few weekends, so unless he is the dominant buck, going to be tough hunting him.

Moved to another stand this morning. Few nice eights on camera but no shooters. There is a big frame crab claw that was coming in fairly regular here until mid-September and this stand is one of those that you never know what will come in. It had a few regulars but most the deer are only seen a few times and many different deer pass through.

Couple of small bucks and a porcupine so far.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 12:41 PM

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 12:46 PM

Good luck txs up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 12:48 PM

A great morning to be hunting. It's not over till it's over. Keep us posted. up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 12:57 PM

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 01:21 PM

I would be pulling the string on that blackbuck.
Posted By: GOLDSTEIN

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 03:34 PM

Kill something already!
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 04:40 PM

You gonna kill that blackbuck, or what?

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 04:45 PM

He is going to or what. grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 04:54 PM

Hah! Apparently.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 05:09 PM

I think he is waiting for the his stars to align confused2

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 05:52 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he is taking a nap rofl again roflmao

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 06:39 PM

We can't kill blackbuck on our ranch. We have a pretty good herd now, but the rancher wants them left alone. We can kill any other exotics that wonder on our place, just not those. Fun to see.

I haven't, but some of the other hunters have killed Sitka, elk, axis, and had a fallow on camera. A few years ago, we had a major flood and think it washed out some HF waterways around us. Axis and blackbuck have been in the area since well before that though.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 06:39 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh he is taking a nap rofl again roflmao

Not yet...
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 06:40 PM

That would be cool to get to the stand in the dark and as sun rises you see a dang elk under the feeder LOL

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 06:45 PM

Oh yeah...we have had audoud and oryx too. Probably a few more I am forgetting.

None of the elk were big, still be cool to see them but I have heard they are hell on feeders

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/04/14 06:47 PM

That variety sure would help pass the time. I have never killed an "exotic" anything, so it would be nice to see some, just for the exposure.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 01:03 AM

Couldn't update while in the stand, had my bow in my hand from 6:45 until almost dark.

Had a doe come in about 6:45 and I grabbed the bow to take her. She made the circle three or four times but wouldn't settle, so I waited. Off to my right, I heard the familiar sound of a deer jumping a fence, then another. A few small bucks wondered in so I waited again. I hear a rock roll the same direction that the smaller bucks came from and all I can see is chocolate antlers through the trees. Already had my bow in my hand, so all I could do was wait. He circles around and come straight at me. He was a big bodies crab claw 8 that I had seen on camera. About 17" wide and 11" G2's, but short g3's. I was pumped. He fed for a good 15 minutes and during that time, there was a steady flow of bucks coming in. I never really got a count, but would guess around 15 or so. One was a nice 8, big frame with good tines, but still a little young...attention back on crab claw.

He started making his turn as he was feeding and I applied tension to the bow string as I got ready to come to full draw. Just as he is about broadside, a buck I would guess a year younger and 15lbs lighter, with about 105" of bone challenges him and he backs away bang Never seen a buck back down from another with that kind of body weight difference.

By now, it is getting late and the crab claw stands off to the side in the trees. He finally works his way back in and feeds directly at me again. About 10 minutes before shooting light ended, something up the hill spooked them and they didn't run, but all eased back in the woods.

Heck of a hunt but no blood hammer

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 01:14 AM

Sounds like a blast.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 01:21 AM

Well at least you had some great action. I only had one buck and it was slow this evening for some reason.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 02:27 AM

I drove to Houston, so you had much more fun than I did!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 02:30 AM

He started making his turn as he was feeding and I applied tension to the bow string as I got ready to come to full draw. Just as he is about broadside, a buck I would guess a year younger and 15lbs lighter, with about 105" of bone challenges him and he backs away bang Never seen a buck back down from another with that kind of body weight difference.

Maybe that smaller buck has been hearing about and taking notes from this UIBA on some forum in Texas whistle

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 03:33 AM

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 03:36 AM

up You a guide and a camera man? roflmao grin

Looks relaxing for sho

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 03:41 AM

I have been enjoying the play by play! Thanks.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 03:41 AM

I have to post pics for sneaky...he bitches

Cold beer and little fire...can't beat it unless I had a buck hanging cheers

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 11:46 AM

Gotta keep the fans happy... confused2 violin whip

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 01:11 PM

No blood again this morning, but did pick up my bow for a doe. The bucks wouldn't let her stand still long enough.

Got busted at around 7:00. Heard a deer stomp, blow and at least a few run off behind me. About 5 minutes later a group came in from the south. 7 bucks and a doe. Two eight pointers around 110-115, but the rest were little. Gave it about 20 minutes to see if anything else would wonder in and decided to take the doe. Of course, had opportunities all morning until I decided to shoot. Chum piles dwindled down too much, so the bucks were congregated together and wouldn't let her eat.

Overall, a good weekend with some good bucks. As far as cameras go and the hunts have gone, looks like the ten is by far the best so far and there is a pretty big margin between him and all the others. Be a couple of weeks before I come back and everything will be different by then. Bachelor groups will break up and the bucks will start to travel. Going to sit another 45 minutes or so and then head in.

As a side note, three of the other hunters up here aren't seeing much and if they do it is either at last light or first light. I was glad to have the activity I have had, especially compared to them.

Good luck everyone cheers

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/05/14 03:49 PM

I have to post pics for sneaky...he bitches

Cold beer and little fire...can't beat it unless I had a buck hanging cheers

You're a good man.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/06/14 05:17 PM

Sounds like a fun time!!! Yesterday I saw a small spike and 2 young 8 pointers sparring about 10yds from me and several does!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/06/14 06:09 PM

Sounds like a fun time!!! Yesterday I saw a small spike and 2 young 8 pointers sparring about 10yds from me and several does!!!

cheers not a bad start. Still early in the season
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/07/14 01:08 AM

Great story, txshntr. There's still plenty of time.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/07/14 04:40 AM

That was an enjoyable read...sounds like you had a good weekend cheers

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/23/14 11:03 PM

Well...another WTX holiday so figured I would continue the saga here...

Just barely made it down in time to change, grab my bow and figure out my new 4 wheeler isn't running well bang Jumped in the truck, had a buddy call with a personal issue so figured it out on the way to the stand, sat down, hung my bow and the feeder went off. Last time I was up, changed the spinner and it works great!!! Corn hits the tree I sit in 8' off the ground and 33 yards away bang Within minutes the black buck are down in front of me, which for those that didn't read the first part, I can't shoot bang To top it all off, forgot my face mask and I semi-face the SW hammer

And I just realized I forgot bug spray and my Thermacell...

But I am here, thanks to a friend handling some late "on the job" issues for me, and keeping me from driving 2 1/2 hours back the way I came from (only made it 1 hr back before I made another U-turn). Been one of those days and just nice to be sitting in a tree watching 3 yummy antelope feed that I can't shoot!!!

Wind is going to be wrong most the weekend to hunt the 10 pointer and big bodied 8, so I will be after the crab claw. Getting later in Oct, so there is a good chance that the bucks will be separating and starting to travel some. Hoping some new deer have moved in.

The stand I am in is notorious for having new deer come and go. Not many regulars but pretty much always deer around it. Haven't had a chance to check the cards, but my dad made it here before me and they are at camp. Anxious to see what had been going on since I last hunted here.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/23/14 11:09 PM

Good luck! elmer

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/23/14 11:12 PM

First deer of the evening showed up. Pretty young 8

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/23/14 11:20 PM

Someone flip it please grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/23/14 11:49 PM

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 12:05 AM

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 12:24 AM

What a hunt!!! Had down very nice bucks come in and one we named sombrero. Been watching him 3 years and it is time for him to go. First we have laid eyes on him this year and he is a good deer. I let him walk for a couple of other hunters but it was great to get to watch him. Ended up with 7 bucks. They left about 6:50, so I was just sitting here waiting for dark or another group. 10 minutes and a doe walked in. Had a few minutes of shooting light, she set up and I let her fly. Hope to have meat in the freezer food

Been a bit, but I am going to sit up here a bit longer. When it is completely dark, I will slip out, grab a bite to eat and come back to see what the arrow looks like. This part of the hunt is almost as much fun as the releas banana

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 01:44 AM

cheers Congrats on getting to the lease and the doe. Think that was stress relief. flame cheers

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 02:05 AM

Without a doubt STX cheers

10 minute tracking and she is on her way to the walk in up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 02:32 AM

cheers Way to go.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 02:35 AM

Good job T-Rex up Just curious, what's your draw length? grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: skinnerback

He said it was less than 30"...how much I am not sure... bolt
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 03:10 AM

roflmao
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 05:03 AM

He said it was less than 30"...how much I am not sure... bolt
confused2

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 05:14 AM

Something's are better left to the imagination peep

Thanks guys. Was great to finally get one on the ground. Now need to find a buck. Have been seeing some nice ones and cameras are showing a lot of movement. Dad is hunting the big bodied 8 in the morning, so maybe he can get him on the ground. My crab claw has been a no show...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 09:25 AM

Congrats on the doe!!! Good luck on the buck!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 10:21 AM

cheers

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 11:36 AM

cheers , but how come only your deer pictures are sideways? The quail was good to go. confused2

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
cheers , but how come only your deer pictures are sideways? The quail was good to go. confused2

I have to remember to turn the phone sideways to take the picture...and I did for the quail

Very calm this morning with some light fog. Haven't seen anything this morning, but could hear a buck rubbing on a tree.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 01:27 PM

I wish I could be out there right now but offshore working right now!!! I blew my chances on 2 big 8's while I was home though!!! bang I hope they're still alive when I get off!!!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 01:54 PM

Good luck man get a biggun!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 02:30 PM

popcorn

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 02:39 PM

Sic em' coach

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 03:40 PM

He must have fallen asleep in the stand...or grin it is steak and golfing day at the lease bolt

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 03:51 PM

rofl
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 04:20 PM

Thanks for keeping Goldy and I up till almost Midnight waiting on a Pic bang

Nice Kill...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 04:34 PM

Great pics. Congrats on the doe. up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 05:14 PM

Well done.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Thanks for keeping Goldy and I up till almost Midnight waiting on a Pic bang

Nice Kill...

Figured you had a drug induced coma going on so was waiting grin

He must have fallen asleep in the stand...or grin it is steak and golfing day at the lease bolt

You might be right grin

Rancher hit a hole in one on a 144 yard par 3!!! Think I am golden for the next 10 years banana

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 05:56 PM

This thread is losing control. violin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 10:11 PM

Your on one of those "Lookin" leases like me..Ramsey go down there and shoot something w a Antler

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 10:25 PM

Your on one of those "Lookin" leases like me..Ramsey go down there and shoot something w a Antler

No more looking...time to stick something else. Getting antsy

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 10:32 PM

Outstanding flag

Hope that one Mule Head trots back up, good luck man

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/24/14 11:43 PM

Thanks bud. About as calm as I can remember an afternoon hunt being and hot....have three bucks and a doe milling about in the woods but doesn't look like they are very interested in coming in right now

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 12:31 AM

Had some young bucks move in, 4-5 eating and watched 6 move along the fence line. Wind shifted right at prime time. They didn't bust but the 6 just turned and left. Few minutes later the 4-5 slowly became one as they all wondered back off. They were just getting a hint and would throw their nose up, eventually it was more than their nerves could handle.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 12:53 AM

No kidding they removed all the mounts at camp. clap
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:29 AM

Worthless thread... Nothing about trains, planes or getting drunk

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:32 AM

Well you are right since it does not having anything about burned up Ford's either. flame

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:36 AM

Well you are right since it does not having anything about burned up Ford's either. flame

Oh the new government motors convert speaks

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:36 AM

That's it...Loading up and gonna come start ear holing Slick Heads and Popping those "protected" Black Bucks rofl

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:37 AM

Hes 5.5 and 130 he may get a few stickers but for the love of GOD run a Arrow in someting bang

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:39 AM

Hes 5.5 and 130 he may get a few stickers but for the love of GOD run a Arrow in someting bang

I approve of this thought process!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:44 AM

Gotta love your fan club Trex

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:46 AM

You know why he does this...he wont FEED, Tight Butt!!! He will watch that and it will pop that fence and get slaughtered roflmao

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Ramsey

Get into a 7 1/2 Road Trip debate on feed w him loco_too

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 02:48 AM

You know why he does this...he wont FEED, Tight Butt!!! He will watch that and it will pop that fence and get slaughtered roflmao

Even goldy will spend money on feed!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 03:00 AM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

LMAO roflmao rofl

The whole time he got this look while sounding like Charlie Browns Teacher roflmao

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 05:00 AM

It's a 10k acre ranch. According to most on here, a deer wouldn't ever leave a 600 acre place...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 05:01 AM

There might be a 132 confused2

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 05:03 AM

That's it...Loading up and gonna come start ear holing Slick Heads and Popping those "protected" Black Bucks rofl

Come on down here big boy...
Originally Posted By: Ramsey

You see what I have to deal with hammer

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 05:04 AM

LMAO roflmao rofl

The whole time he got this look while sounding like Charlie Browns Teacher roflmao

I remember that look...I thought it just meant you had to pull over to pee again confused2

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 06:12 AM

rofl

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 12:34 PM

Little slow this morning. Has some movement early and when it got light could see 3 eights but couldn't see what was to my left, just could hear them munching on the corn. About 5 minutes ago, one of the youths on our place shot. Being a very still morning, it spooked the bucks just enough that they made each other nervous and moved back into the brush. Hope the kid connected and made a good shot, can't wait to see what he bagged!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 12:39 PM

Outstanding up

Any chasen...mines not to the first week in Dec but it's a odd year, and Navs been watching those Squirrels again clap

Hope the youngster got a Toad..You sitting till 10 right eeks333
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 12:39 PM

Goodluck to you and congrats on the doe.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 01:04 PM

Outstanding up

Any chasen...mines not to the first week in Dec but it's a odd year, and Navs been watching those Squirrels again clap

Uhhhh...no rofl

Just got a text that a lady hunter has an arrow in sombrero. (That's the 8 pointer I posted a pic of from Thursday night). Can't wait to see it!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 01:07 PM

Outstanding up

As far as the chasen goes, not yet. Another week or two and it will be going full bore. Little ones are starting to pester them and the bucks are starting to dislike their running buddies, but they aren't there yet.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 01:24 PM

Good for her up felt nice this Mng lucky dog!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 01:26 PM

Good for her up felt nice this Mng lucky dog!

Yep...but this afternoon is going to be brutal

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 05:00 PM

Well...looks like recovery is going to be one for two. Young boy shot a beautiful cull crabclaw. After 600+ yards of tracking, we finally recovered the deer. He is all smiles!!!

The lady that shot the buck with her bow isn't as happy. Unfortunately, we can't find a drop of blood to give direction and she is in some thick brush. We have been at it for 3 hours and there are 7 of us searching, still no sign. She is positive she hit it. We are going to give it just a little longer then call it done.

I will have pics up later.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 05:22 PM

Buzzards still in y'all's neck of the woods amigo

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 05:23 PM

Congrats to the young man and hope she finds him...you and your pops know all the ends and outs and tricks, if he can be found y'all will find him..Good Luck!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 07:37 PM

Buzzards still in y'all's neck of the woods amigo

Yep. Still have a few around. Will make a couple of rounds tomorrow and see if we can flush them. True trophy for this wonderful lady and I know she is sick about the results so far. We did all we could and have lost the meat. If we could salvage the head, it would at least be something. She has let this deer walk in the past to let it grow, along with the rest of us, so it was important to her and she had personal history with the deer. Not sure about to some, but that means something to me. Damn shame though.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 07:38 PM

Call in a dog, it still is not to late.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 07:42 PM

How can the dog pinpoint the trail without blood? How long is too long in this heat for the dog?

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 07:49 PM

How can the dog pinpoint the trail without blood? How long is too long in this heat for the dog?

A dog does not follow the trail exactly like you or I would by sight. The trail snakes in and out of brush and along. The dog goes more straightline so to speak and keeps crossing the trail and track. Soon he starts to associate that track with the blood. (as told to me by Little Roy Hindes). I have hit a deer before dark on a dark of the moon night, called him. He said lets wait till daylight and go. He got their dumped out Jethro and a young trainer dog. Took them a few minutes to sort out the cold trail with only a few spots of blood. Once they got on it they started the direction the deer ran. 3/4 of mile later they jumped the wounded buck but could not hold him or bay. Little Roy said immediately the buck is not hit bad enough to be crippled or die from the wound. I saw the buck a month or so later. He has lost some weight but lived since the wound hit no bones or nothing vital, just flesh.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 08:19 PM

That's way Olney in Sonora works ..
May be worth the cash ...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 08:50 PM

Sucks Man...so sorry for her

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 08:50 PM

Matt McWilliams 325-456-0773 Fuel +tip Brady +all surrounding areas 3

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 08:54 PM

Make the call!!! What do you have to lose

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 08:57 PM

Make the call!!! What do you have to lose

He already has, I gave him the number a couple of hours ago now. Matt said with this heat and no blood or arrow it was to iffy in this heatt on the dogs.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 09:03 PM

Damnt... Matts damn good, his word is gospel.

As always late to the party!!!!

Anyone that hunts in the three county area needs to write his number on the door of your camper!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 09:11 PM

Yep he has a great dog and knows deer.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 09:48 PM

Damnt... Matts damn good, his word is gospel.

As always late to the party!!!!

Anyone that hunts in the three county area needs to write his number on the door of your camper!!

Sounded like a great fella. Funny, one of you two have me his number before as a "just in case". I searched it when STX told me and when I dialed, it is saved on my phone. We are going to post it at camp somewhere for the others.

Just with absolutely no blood and the amount of time, not sure it was a truly viable option. The help is greatly appreciated though up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 09:52 PM

Would it help at all if I made a Cocktail and absorbed this ninja

Is it to soon to ask you and I's biggest debate...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 09:52 PM

Please never wear a "Sleeve" when Bow Hunting bolt

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 09:54 PM

Honestly so sorry for the Ladies loss man...maybe if someone's staying till sun or alert the rancher and watch them buzzards..maybe it's just a donated Cape away from a Trophy Amigo..

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 09:58 PM

maybe it's just a donated Cape away from a Trophy Amigo..

up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 10:01 PM

Please never wear a "Sleeve" when Bow Hunting bolt

I am gonna slap you hammer

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 10:17 PM

Just saying eeks333

As your Life Coach and Bow Hunting Sensei rofl
Sleeves are overrated like more than 3 pins banana

Don't be surprised if that Deer don't walk back in to that feeder tonight or in the Mng Sir if the stars are aligned ...
How close is the nearest water Amigo...not that you haven't thought about that but may not be bad idea to have someone check out the closest air motor ...just a thought

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 10:28 PM

That was the last place we checked before giving up. Split up and one group went to one water and the other group went the other direction.

There really is no doubt he could walk back into a feeder this evening. That side has plenty to choose from grin

Well, as my sensei and life coach, you should know I would never wear one when it is this hot out. Now, Kansas and winter months, you bet your rear I will wear it with pride my friend. I would have won the biggest javi contest if I had been wearing it!!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 10:39 PM

No moved to the other side of the ranch for this hunt. Seems my dad has taken over my other stand in the name of shooting a big bodied 8 pointer he let walk a couple of weeks ago (and I am sure it has nothing to do with the big ten that was seen there grin), so I am moving to his.

Over the years, this stand is notorious for having a few mature regulars that stick around until pre-rut. This year it is two old ten pointers with short tines. I won't shoot either one, but wouldn't mind seeing them. It hasn't been hunted but maybe 3 times this year and this week showed some new bucks moving in and the tens haven't been on camera much, so it is a crap shoot what will walk in.

Favorite part about this stand is it right on the border of our leased property and across the fence is a 4k acre part of the ranch that hasn't been truly hunted in 10 years. The actual woods across the fence are part of a 400 acre pasture that has never been hunted. You really never know what could wonder up.

Getting down to the nitty gritty now. I won't be back here until Thanksgiving and when I come back, I will probably be spending more time with my niece, daughter and sister in the stands than bow hunting, so I would really like to go ahead and kill a big one grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/25/14 10:39 PM

As a side note...it is freaking hot!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 12:02 AM

All that talk about how great this stand is and still haven't seen a deer bang

I hate this stand and am never hunting here again grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 12:09 AM

Man you are struggling brother ...anyone else connected

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 12:15 AM

Not that I have heard tonight. Seems slow with the few that have texted. Really hope pops connected and my BIL has a good chance where he is. Hadn't hunted up here this year and camera has been showing activity. I know there has been morning activity because dad drove by it about 9:00 this morning and there were 5 bucks still here.

Guess that is why they call it hunting grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 12:22 AM

rofl Let my BIL go hunt my stand and he is covered in deer. Said there were no shooters but he isn't used to having that many deer around. He has had a rough year at his blind

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 02:00 AM

popcorn

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 02:23 AM

Pop says he shot a doe so we are heading out to look...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 03:03 AM

Another doe in the cooler grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 03:10 AM

Yall are doing pretty well, I'd say.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

A lot better than those of us at work or home.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 05:27 AM

More meat for the freezer!!! Congrats to your Pop!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 05:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

Not a bad weekend cheers

Here is the pic of the buck the youth shot.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 11:18 AM

Last chance for awhile...

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 11:31 AM

Well at least you got a doe and saw some bucks!!! I won't be able to go hunt until November 20th!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 11:32 AM

Get 'em. coach

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 12:24 PM

Get after em!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 12:42 PM

Seeing anything?

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 12:56 PM

Nope. Had a small 8 in very early. He ate a few bites, wondered over and rubbed a tree and then walked off. Pretty slow morning

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 01:11 PM

Give it some time!!! Strangely enough the bigger bucks at my lease have come in about 8:30 or 11:30-12:30!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 01:19 PM

Couple of small bucks just showed up.

Give it some time!!! Strangely enough the bigger bucks at my lease have come in about 8:30 or 11:30-12:30!!!

I have seen very few late at this place for some reason. I have had a few on camera and when I rifle hunt the open country, I see some mid day movement, but for the most part, it is over by 9:30 or so

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 01:36 PM

Outstanding up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 01:37 PM

When I was hunting my stand earlier, I had movement from 7-9:30 and then it died down until 11:30!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 02:46 PM

Gotta love west Texas...never know what can walk in

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 02:54 PM

Sweet!!! Congrats!!!

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 02:55 PM

That is a pretty dang good fallow buck. up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 02:57 PM

Heck of a spotted fallow to just walk in unexpectedly! clap

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 03:26 PM

Now that's pretty great.

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 05:33 PM

I'd say that's a fair trade, nice TRex up

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 05:50 PM

I'd say that's a fair trade, nice TRex up

That's not me....buddy I hunt with

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 05:56 PM

Sorry bud, only met you once and figured you put on some facial hair since then......AND the guy looked "short" enough grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 05:58 PM

Sorry bud, only met you once and figured you put on some facial hair since then......AND the guy looked "short" enough grin

cheers I can see where you might would think it...but he is taller than I am grin

Re: West Texas Holiday - 10/26/14 06:02 PM

cheers I can see where you might would think it...but he is taller than I am grin

Got it, I can see in those 2 photos he is kneeling down grin scared
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum