Texas Hunting Forum

skunked this year

Posted By: caprocker

skunked this year - 01/05/09 02:17 PM

It looks like i am coming home empty handed this year..It really disappoints me too..Mainly because of the," management " ,that we have done for the last 5 years..we have let the young ones walk for 5 years and this year i never saw a buck bigger than a 15 inch 8 point...its frustrating...the last hunt i was on i had seen 5 bucks..8pt. 7pt. 6pt. 4pt spike ...i gues we need to make a commitment to meat hunting for the next 5 years and maybe we will see some bigger bucks...

Posted By: partypat

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 02:52 PM

Sorry to hear that, I guess success next season will be that much sweeter after this season!

Posted By: chestnut

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 02:56 PM

You weren't satisfied with a 15" buck? I didn't see ONE SINGLE DEER this season, period.

Posted By: Rem270man

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 03:22 PM

I saw 3 does all year long. Didn't shoot anything.

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 05:23 PM

I saw some deer but was also left empty I spooked a wall hanger and was waiting on him all year and never did. passed on a couple of good ones to get him. he maybe we willhave story to share next year on our sucess

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 07:43 PM

Quote:

You weren't satisfied with a 15" buck? I didn't see ONE SINGLE DEER this season, period.

It took a lot of patience and persistence to find a place like this but yea i was disappointed..i know that several people dont get to hunt a place like mine but i have been on places like the one you are talking about...i had a great time in the pursuit and the camraderie at camp etc.and thats what i payed my lease fee for this year i guess..i just made a personal decision to wait for a good mature shooter...i have taken management bucks for the last 4 seasons and it's getting disappointing to not see the fruits of your patience..

Posted By: Curly

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 08:28 PM

Yeh, the only way I go empty handed is because I didn't see anything I could legally shoot.

Posted By: ScottF

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 08:30 PM

Didn't see any bucks worth shooting. But, I did take 3 does. Does are good eating!

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 08:36 PM

I love a tender doe. What stinks for me/us is that we only have 3 doe tags a year and 10 hunters on our place.

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 08:37 PM

Doe permits, not tags........my bad.

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 08:43 PM

I'm in a 2 buck, 3 doe county. With no bucks worth shooting, we thought we would thin the herd of does.

Posted By: Waylon A.

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 08:56 PM

I didn't see anything worth shooting either, but my camera did! That makes looking forward to next season that much sweeter.

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 09:02 PM

i tell myself that i am going to shoot a doe every year and dont do it..being in a one buck county i am always apprehensive about running off a buck when i shoot a doe...i may look into a lease in a 2 buck county next year

Posted By: BMD

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 09:05 PM

Throw the tags in our tag soup we are gonna make.

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 09:12 PM

After a two year drought hunting public land, getting three does to have meat in the freezer was a priority. Had venison burgers for lunch today.

Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 11:43 PM

Wheres your lease Caprock? Howard Co. has alot of good looking deer and its close to home!!

Posted By: TxonMyMind

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 11:52 PM

i saw nothing in nolan cty either

Posted By: Jimbo

Re: skunked this year - 01/05/09 11:56 PM

Quote:

After a two year drought hunting public land, getting three does to have meat in the freezer was a priority. Had venison burgers for lunch today.

There's the key!

You don't know what you've missed until you don't have it anymore!

Posted By: huntinfishinsumb

Re: skunked this year - 01/06/09 12:45 AM

saw some real nice deer with no shot and seen some does and passed up a pig hoping not to scare a buck and came home empty handed this season also but it was damn un doing it i guess just half as exciting

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum