Texas Hunting Forum

Question???

Posted By: estex

Question??? - 09/07/14 02:59 PM

I've been hunting sense I was 8 and now 45.. We had a game warden (Mr. Green Jeans)come check us while dove hunting. He had walked passed one of our Deer feeders while coming to us (1/2mile away) and made a statement "Your deer stands are to close to your feeders." I only archery hunt and the stand is 40-50yrds away from the feeder. He stated that it is illegal to shot a deer under the feeder.?????

So here is my Question... Has anybody heard of this law? Did they change it and I missed it with the rest of TEXAS??!!
Posted By: don k

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 03:02 PM

Sounds like BS to me.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 03:03 PM

Surely he was referring to hunting dove at the feeder, deer you can hunt from two feet is you think you can get them that close.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Surely he was referring to hunting dove at the feeder, deer you can hunt from two feet is you think you can get them that close.

This
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 03:11 PM

Prob just yankin your chain....
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 03:13 PM

If he is your local warden, it may not be a bad idea to give him a call and get him to clarify what he meant. As he will be the guy you have to deal with when you hunt deer there.

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 03:19 PM

After thinking about it after he left I came to the same theory about the doves too...

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 03:44 PM

But he was a cool Mr. Green Jeans..So he might have been yank'en...
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Question??? - 09/07/14 06:25 PM

My guess is part yankin' your chain, part friendly warning. 1/2 mile is like a walk down the driveway for a dove in flight.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Question??? - 09/08/14 02:01 AM

I've always been told dove are federal migratory birds and like ducks, can't be hunted in baited fields and that the areas around feeders are baited. I took that to mean no skillet shots under the feeder. I would think a bird flying into your feeder or taking off from it would be illegal.
Posted By: Adam O

Re: Question??? - 09/08/14 02:02 AM

bs
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Question??? - 09/08/14 02:15 AM

Last I heard you can bait deer in Texas.....maybe he was referring to hunting doves near a feeder
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum