Texas Hunting Forum

critters that rattle

Posted By: Drop 1

critters that rattle - 09/02/14 08:05 PM

Well the beloved day that we as hunters all look forward to has come upon us yet again, a day that signifies the rise of fall is upon us yet again and many of us are putting boots on the ground in the bird fields or even on the deer trails. Whatever the case may be we have all fell victim of being in close proximity of a rattle snake and this year I haven't heard from nobody on seeing, killing or chasing any. Whats yalls thoughts, I got over paranoid yesterday while looking for a downed dove for the better part of 5 minutes and then hearing what I immediately thought was a buzzer, ended up the dove I was searching for was under my boot. I had nearly blown that thing to smitherines prior to my knowing it was my dove.
Posted By: Adam O

Re: critters that rattle - 09/02/14 11:27 PM

We hunted the last two days just north of Brady...didnt see any rattlers, only a corn snake on the edge of the field.
Posted By: passthru

Re: critters that rattle - 09/03/14 12:53 PM

Was just out working on our place and no snakes seen. They tell me there aren't many here though.
Posted By: Ramsey

Re: critters that rattle - 09/04/14 04:33 AM

No snakes this past weekend concho county
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: critters that rattle - 09/04/14 02:14 PM

Knock on wood, I have not seen a rattlesnake on my place in over 2 yrs now. I still watch for them.
Posted By: Dave B

Re: critters that rattle - 09/04/14 02:22 PM

Haven't seen any snakes on my property since I have owned it. clap
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: critters that rattle - 09/04/14 07:19 PM

I killed one on my back porch in early spring, a 2 footer that had bitten one of my 'pet' tree lizards and was getting set-up to swallow it. About a month ago, I killed one about 3 feet from my bedroom door near the porch. The longer you go without seeing one, means you're that much closer to seeing one. scratch
Posted By: Drop 1

Re: critters that rattle - 09/05/14 12:40 PM

We'll be doing a lot of work around camp, blinds and feeders this weekend between the bird hunting and going to have to be extra careful. You're right about longer not seeing one closer you are to seeing it!
Posted By: dredd

Re: critters that rattle - 09/06/14 07:14 PM

Found part of a shed skin in the bathroom at the cabin.
Scales were too fine to be a rattler and hardly any pattern.
I didn't lose any sleep over it.
I like to think of it as a perpetual mouse trap. No batteries or bait required. LOL
Posted By: S Abbott

Re: critters that rattle - 09/07/14 02:21 AM

i havent seen many rattlers in edwards county this yr
Posted By: estex

Re: critters that rattle - 09/07/14 03:16 PM

saw one that was hit on 59 outside of Victoria the other day. first in years... What is the old saying about NOT picking up a dead one till dark or sundown?? I stopped one time to cut the buttons off one onetime and stopped as my grandfather's and Uncle Walt's voice entered my mind and just looked at it for a bit. Went back to the truck and got an axe handle and poked it. The head jumped back where I touched it and bit itself....

Thanks Papa and Uncle Walt
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: critters that rattle - 09/07/14 03:53 PM

Hunted out in Shackleford this week. One of the guys in our group walked up on one in the road and made quick work of turning it into a good snake.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: critters that rattle - 09/07/14 08:39 PM

Had one buzz at my brother while we were cutting cedars to brush in a ground blind. He cut a limb down and went to move it and heard that distict "buzz". He only saw the tail as it slithered into a large mesquite cedar stump.
Posted By: Chuck Cox

Re: critters that rattle - 09/08/14 01:04 AM

Here is one I found in the dark Saturday morning while hog hunting.
Posted By: mpr77

Re: critters that rattle - 09/09/14 02:23 AM

me and my buddy were at my ranch this past weekend dove hunting. every year we say
were going to plant for doves and we never do and regret it. It was around 830/9am Saturday morning and
we ventured to far west side of property to check out our neighbors set up bc they were blasting
off all morning like crazy. We were each waking around Seperate sides of a typical centex clump of bushes and my
buddy yelled rattlesnake! he blasted it w his shotgun but it was scary and a good reminder.
We both were totally all focused on the sky and birds and it's a good reminder to pay attn to where you walk!
bad thing too was he left his snake boots in truck and was only wearing his ankle high hiking boots. He said the snake was trying to get away from him but it also didn't rattle until he shot at it which is scary. I think they don't want to harm anyone unless your about to step on it or shoot at it obviously. big fat guy too!

this is the first I've seen out there since last summer when I saw one slither across a dirt road.
Posted By: Blank

Re: critters that rattle - 09/09/14 02:35 AM

Temperatures have been in the mid 80's this week here in Idaho; perfect weather for snakes. Most all of ours are common rat snakes. That said, had a two foot rattler at work today, right outside the door to the facility by the sidewalk. Nice reminder to watch out antelope hunting for the next 5 days in Wyoming!
Posted By: DLFant

Re: critters that rattle - 09/13/14 02:11 AM

i hate them
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: critters that rattle - 09/13/14 07:26 PM

I'm glad I have snake shot for my pistol
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum