Texas Hunting Forum

Deer liver?

Posted By: Old_Town

Deer liver? - 08/18/14 12:03 AM

Does anyone here save the liver to make liver and onions?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 12:12 AM

I don't care for any kind of liver-beef, whitetail, chicken,etc. I won't even used it for fish bait.
Posted By: Western

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 12:15 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I don't care for any kind of liver-beef, whitetail, chicken,etc. I won't even used it for fish bait.

^^^^This

IMO it has one use and I'm OK with that LOL

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 01:05 AM

Calf Liver and onions is delicious when fixed right. I have heard that deer liver is really good too. I plan on trying it this year.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 01:07 AM

We always had 2 calves butchered per year to eat when growing up. There was 2 meals I hated- liver. Was not enough gravy or onions to make it taste good to me.
Posted By: gary75758

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 01:56 AM

Grandpa, uncles and my dad fixed deer liver and heart at camp for years, now in my 60's I do the same, people who haven't tried don't know what they are missing! food
texas
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 01:58 AM

Never liked the liver, but the heart is great. Don't always keep it, but have made some great dinners with it.

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 01:58 AM

I hated liver when I was a kid. I was in my early twenties when I had it fixed right. I have loved it ever since.
Posted By: BradyBuck

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 02:00 AM

A guy I talk hunting with at work takes the heart, liver and kidneys of the first deer killed each season by his family and makes a dish at hunting camp. He says it's great. I'd try it for sure.
Posted By: 8th1

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 03:04 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Never liked the liver, but the heart is great. Don't always keep it, but have made some great dinners with it.

X2, the heart is better than the liver.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: gary75758
Grandpa, uncles and my dad fixed deer liver and heart at camp for years, now in my 60's I do the same, people who haven't tried don't know what they are missing! food
texas

We have been doing the same for as long as I can remember. Great stuff when fixed right.
Posted By: wp75169

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 04:09 AM

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 05:35 AM

Last season we cooked up heart and liver over mesquite coals. Heart was great and liver was edible. Both my young boys liked both. Ill keep the heart for a camp meal from now in if its not shot.
Posted By: Gladesgator

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 02:19 PM

We always had deer heart and liver at camp on opening weekend. I love the heart, the liver not so much, everyone else liked it tho. I always keep the heart from WT, red deer and Axis.

In some areas, deer can have liver flukes, the liver will have splotches of whitish coloring and you can see them when you cut into the fresh liver.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 03:40 PM

yep, my mom used to make us bring her the liver & heart out of every deer we killed. She would dredge in flour, put in a cast iron skillet with a little grease on low heat and cover. in a separate pan she would slice a bunch of onions with a little butter, caramelize the onions, add a little flour to brown in the juices add a little beef stock to thicken ... liver & onions. I think it's actually better than beef liver ... but I like liver cooked like this. She did similar with the heart or battered & chicken fried it. She passed in '12 at 94, so I have only kept a couple (basically due to habit created over 50 years) but they ended up going to the cat or dog (after laying in the bed of my truck a few days since I forgot to get them out)...
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 04:23 PM

I used to hate liver but I really like it now. I try to save every heart and liver from deer and hogs the me and my family shoot.
My wife is from up north so her dad showed me how to make scrapple. It is excellent for breakfast.
Posted By: mchgnmike

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 04:47 PM

Now I am interested in eating the liver and heart from our deer harvest. PMK shared a recipe. Are there anymore recipes for Venison Liver and Heart?
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: mchgnmike
Now I am interested in eating the liver and heart from our deer harvest. PMK shared a recipe. Are there anymore recipes for Venison Liver and Heart?

This is pretty close to the same way we make scrapple in my family.

http://www.food.com/recipe/deerhunters-scrapple-143284
Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 05:06 PM

I typically save it for fishing bait
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Old_Town
I hated liver when I was a kid. I was in my early twenties when I had it fixed right. I have loved it ever since.

x2 also probably had something to do with learning that there are other things that can taste far worse than things I was used to eating.
Posted By: mbavo

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 05:25 PM

Thanks for the scrapple recipe, sounds good and easy. We have been wanting to try it, will have to this year.
Do you do much different to your recipe?
Posted By: BurrOak

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 07:20 PM

I try to save the heart and liver out of all the deer I kill. Batter and fry just like you would deer steak.

The heart is definitely better, but I do like the liver too.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 07:39 PM

When I was a kid I had to eat liver and broccoli.
Now, I will not eat either.

We make crapple (pon haus, New Braunfel's locals just pronounce it "ponus") from regular deer meat. We just boil up the bones in a big pot and use the scrap meat that boils off for ours. It is a good way to make use of rib meat and all the little scrap pieces of meat that are hard to get to.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 07:45 PM

I like beef liver more than whitetail, but it's OK in my book. Love me some scrapple, but haven't had it in years. Think I'll save the next couple of deer livers and make up a batch this fall.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 07:50 PM

Originally Posted By: gary75758
texas

I know what I am missing.. deer liver and onions.. lol I am PLENTY fine with that:P
R
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 07:58 PM

Sisig. Chop the liver, heart, and kidneys small cubes, and fry it in a pan adding salt, green chilis, and lime or lemon juice to it. I like to fry it till it gets a little crispy then add some lime juice. This was a dish we would have while drinking in the Philippines where they made it from pork.
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 08:03 PM

My "secret recipe" is to deep fry it.. then throw it away...and cook some backstrap instead! *grin*

My dad said that he and his grandfather even took chicken brains and scrambled them with eggs?

Sorry, not squeemish, just see no point in that. If I was starving and all I had to eat was all that, you bet... but if I have a ham.. the LAST thing I am going to think is, "boy.. I bet these would be awe-freakin-some with some chicken brains on the side!

lol

R
Posted By: Jeff Watson

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 08:05 PM

My Grandpa would always cook up the heart, liver and kidneys and feed them to his hunting dogs
Posted By: Kiko-G

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 09:17 PM

Makes good catfish bait
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 10:01 PM

Deer heart sautéed with onions is excellent. I haven't tried my steak and deer kidney pie recipe yet. The closest thing to liver I eat is dove breasts (which I love BTW).
Posted By: TonyinVA

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 10:02 PM

I eat the liver and heart. I cook the liver just like calf liver...DO NOT OVER COOK IT. fry it on low head with onions.....remember that there is little fat and it will cook quickly...braising it will also work. For the heart I always slice it and then egg it and coat with seasoned bread crumbs ...then fry it.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Deer liver? - 08/18/14 10:10 PM

Salt Pepper, dip in egg and milk, flour it up and Fry in in Bacon Grease, sliced about a 1/4 inch thick, with plenty of fried skillet potatoes and onions. One of my favorites!Like Tony said.....Do not OVER COOK!!!!! A little rare is great!!!
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Deer liver? - 08/19/14 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
Last season we cooked up heart and liver over mesquite coals. Heart was great and liver was edible. Both my young boys liked both. Ill keep the heart for a camp meal from now in if its not shot.

you should have tried the gizzard. popcorn
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Deer liver? - 08/19/14 01:34 AM

Slice the deer liver thin - no more than 1/4". Fry some bacon in a cast iron skillet. Remove the bacon after it's well cooked and the fat is rendered. Raise the heat to high. When the bacon fat is very hot, put the liver in the pan for about 30 seconds. Flip and cook for another 30 seconds. (It should be slightly pink inside.) Add salt and pepper to taste. After all of the liver is cooked add an extra large handful of sliced onions to the skillet and cook until they begin to caramelize. Serve with the onions over the liver with the bacon crumbled on top of the onions.

SERVE WITH GRITS!
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Deer liver? - 08/19/14 02:20 AM

I tried deer liver straight from the deer(still warm) to the grill. Other guys in camp wouldn't let me put it on grill while their food was still on. I don't think I cooked it long enough, since I like my steaks cold rare I cooked the liver to what I thought was a good warm rare, I was sick and sick is an understatement. I haven't tried it again since, but possum and coons are good food
Posted By: BayouGuy

Re: Deer liver? - 08/19/14 02:51 AM

Quote:
Other guys in camp wouldn't let me put it on grill while their food was still on.

Your liver probably picked up something off the grill from those other guys's food. chef
Posted By: stillhntr

Re: Deer liver? - 08/29/14 01:07 AM

Tried it once, now in save it for the dogs . The heart however is mine
Posted By: Erny

Re: Deer liver? - 09/07/14 01:13 PM

If I shoot a young deer I always save the liver. I personally cannot tell the difference between it and calf liver. I slice it thin and grill it on the BBQ. Serve it with brown gravy and sautéed onions.
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: Deer liver? - 09/14/14 03:07 AM

Growing up in the north east it was tradition to have liver and onions at deer camp. Many people dont like liver but I have alawys enjoyed it, We would remove the outer menbrane slice it in 1/2 thick pieces dredge it in flour with salt and pepper. We would slice up a mess of onions. We would cook down a pound of bacon remove the bacon to the side then carmelize the onions. Then we would fry the liver in the bacon fat. Dont over cook as it gets dry and tough. It should be slightly pink. When the liver is done you put the onions back in the remaining fat mix some flour in a couple cups of water add to the onions and fat and make a great brown gravey. Put this gravey on rice and your liver and it is delicious. ( We also sliced up the heart and had it in the same process)
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Deer liver? - 09/14/14 03:16 AM

Yes and I enjoy it. I like baked liver best...
Posted By: texasbowhunter321

Re: Deer liver? - 09/14/14 03:21 AM

I usually eat beef liver and onions. How does it compare?
Posted By: HuntingRight

Re: Deer liver? - 09/14/14 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: 8th1
Originally Posted By: txshntr

X2, the heart is better than the liver.

haha exactly
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Deer liver? - 09/14/14 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Gladesgator
We always had deer heart and liver at camp on opening weekend. I love the heart, the liver not so much, everyone else liked it tho. I always keep the heart from WT, red deer and Axis.

In some areas, deer can have liver flukes, the liver will have splotches of whitish coloring and you can see them when you cut into the fresh liver.
always inspect carefully the liver of any animal, if there are any splotches or specs ect, don't keep, never liked liver as a youngster growing up, because, it was not fixed right, if liver is sliced about 1/4 thick and nice season's, its very good
Posted By: HuntingRight

Re: Deer liver? - 09/15/14 04:48 PM

I was one of the few people i knew who liked liver at my age. My dad hunts deer every year so Ive also tried the heart and tounge, but usually I just stick to the deer burgers.
Posted By: truenorthoutdoors_tx

Re: Deer liver? - 09/16/14 08:26 PM

Liver is kind of like the oil filter for the body. I like liver, but every time I eat it, I can't help but think I'm eating alot of trash.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Deer liver? - 09/16/14 09:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Never eat a Organ...
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Deer liver? - 09/17/14 10:48 PM

any liver.. barf
Posted By: Perfect 8

Re: Deer liver? - 09/18/14 12:47 AM

I had some kudu liver this summer... better than I expected. Wouldn't eat it again if I wasn't a guest.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum