Texas Hunting Forum

Cabin heater help??

Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 01:52 AM

I built a 16x16 cabin is year in the off season. It pretty well insulated. No power other than generators... So, what is the best propane heater to use for heat??
Posted By: Bluetex

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 01:56 AM

Mr. Heater, big buddy heater.
Posted By: Novemberyet

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 02:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Bluetex

That's as good as you're going to get without an electric blower unless you have a wall heater and a propane tank. Let's see the cabin.
Posted By: DudleyDoRight76

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 02:19 AM

Was thinking about using a propane tank. I'll post some picks tomorrow.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 02:22 AM

You can use a Dearborn heater also, but I would not leave it on all night. JMO.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 02:39 AM

Every winter and hunting season there are news stories of hunters or campers dying from carbon monoxide. We only use the propane heaters when everyone is up and active, first one to bed it gets turned off. First one up in the morning lights the heater.

If you have built it right, it doesn't take long to heat up a 16x16 insulated building. My one shop building is half that size, well insulated and sealed tight. On 30 degree days I can heat it with a small propane heater for 30 minutes to knock off the chill and with work and tools running the place becomes comfortable within in an hour.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 02:51 AM

What Dogcatcher said. Propane burning in a tightly sealed building is a good way to not wake up at all.Please reconsider that course of action.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 02:52 AM

It's too damn hot to even think about a heater.
Posted By: CRAnderson52

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 02:54 AM

Could you cut a hole for a chimney and use a wood burning stove?! I just get nervous about leaving propane on that long, and hate being cold!
Posted By: soonerdg

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 04:03 AM

ANY fire burned in an area without sufficient oxygen will produce carbon monoxide. So if your cabin is sealed that well you may not want anything but electric heat. BUT, if you choose to go with a wood stove make sure the chimney and damper do not get restricted and you'll be fine. I wouldn't put propane in there on a bet!
Posted By: Sparky45

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 01:03 PM

maybe one of these?

and one of these?

clean safe and warm
Posted By: Satch

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 04:00 PM

If you go with propane just get a battery operated smoke and carbon monoxide detector
Posted By: cyberpyrot

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/12/14 07:20 PM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
If you go with propane just get a battery operated smoke and carbon monoxide detector

or a propane powered smoke and carbon monoxide detector.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 01:07 AM

If you have slow burning wood at your property I would recommend a wood burning stove. We had one in a hunting cabin or similar size and it really worked well. We also used electric heaters that were ceramic or oil with a generator in the mornings because the stove would run out of wood about 3:00 in the morning because it was pretty small but still really heated the cabin up when it got really cold.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 01:08 AM

There are propane wall heaters with oxygen sensor safety cut offs. Has anyone used one of these? I was thinking of putting one in our cabin since we already have propane to the cabin.
Posted By: janie

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 01:33 AM

Unless your cabin is well north of the Red River, I wouldn't mess with propane. 250 sq feet. Well insulated. Sounds like your already ahead of the game.

I'm a big sissy when it comes to cold weather, but if I'm inside with a good sleeping bag, then paint me happy.
Posted By: jetdad

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
There are propane wall heaters with oxygen sensor safety cut offs. Has anyone used one of these? I was thinking of putting one in our cabin since we already have propane to the cabin.
Just remember you're trusting your life to something made in China. You really need some kind of venting with an open flame heat.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 12:34 PM

Big mr buddy 18btu has a blower. Its the best option since it has oxygen sensor cut off. You can by an extended hose and run it to a big propane bottle
Posted By: KG68

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 12:47 PM

I think I would go with a combination of Janie's and BOBO's advice. Heater before bedtime and after I wake up. up
Posted By: Tbar

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 01:00 PM

I have used a Deerborne running off a propane bottle for years at my cabin. That thing rocks in a 16 x 28 cabin. We crack a window during the day and cut it back to just the pilot light at night. The insulated cabin holds heat pretty well.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 01:19 PM

http://vogelzang.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_105
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 01:56 PM

Wood stove would be my suggestion.
Posted By: KCH

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 02:23 PM

The "little sweetie" looks like a good unit for cabins...they don't show a price, curious as to how much $$$?
Posted By: JohnRussell

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Bluetex

X43546678

The one we had in my 12x24 was more than enough to keep it warm.

Get the 20bl propane connection hoses (one for each side) and that thing can be set on high and keep going for days.

R
Posted By: Western

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 09:47 PM

My brother bought one similar (my be this one) Vented from outside, both intake and exhaust. My mother had one siialr in design, but much more "ornate (looks like a wall fireplace) it was much more expensive.

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/accessory/heaters2.shtml
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/13/14 09:49 PM

Originally Posted By: KCH
The "little sweetie" looks like a good unit for cabins...they don't show a price, curious as to how much $$$?

Less than $200 at places like Lowes and it is rated for 600 sq. ft.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/14/14 12:35 AM

A little over kill on size for your square footage, but it is vented to the outside and has all of the safety feature for carbon monoxide. I would guess there are others that have the same features and could be smaller and cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NVG...sweete%20heater
Posted By: proudtexan

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/14/14 01:02 AM

Find a vintage Dearborn space heater and hook it up to a propane tank outside the cabin. You can make a hole in the cabin wall and run the gas line through it.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Cabin heater help?? - 08/14/14 02:53 AM

Originally Posted By: proudtexan
Find a vintage Dearborn space heater and hook it up to a propane tank outside the cabin. You can make a hole in the cabin wall and run the gas line through it.

The fuel inside the space isn't the problem. Incomplete combustion causes carbon monoxide.

No matter your choice of heater (short of electric) get a carbon monoxide detector. Some will run on batteries and can be turned on and off. We used one camping in a wall tent in Colorado elk hunting.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum