Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty

Posted By: DirtyHarry

Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/28/14 09:48 PM

Our hunting camp is thinking about doing a Side Pot/ Bounty for our hunting season this year. Either throwing money in a pot and biggest buck takes all at end of season, side pot for most pig kills.. ect

Or in a bounty system, people have to pay the person who kills a buck, or if you have targeted bucks, to put bounties on their heads.

Anyone done anything like this? Any ideas to build off of. Could be an interesting way to stir back at camp.

AC
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/28/14 10:07 PM

Pigs could be fun. Not deer.
Posted By: pokerj2

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/28/14 10:20 PM

I was on a lease in Red River county with 10 hunters. We all threw in 20$ at the first of the season. Who ever shot the largest buck took the bucks with em!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/28/14 10:26 PM

When we had a company lease and took customers hunting, we offered $100.00 to whoever shot the heaviest doe. It got pretty fun listening to co-workers, and sometimes guys from different companies telling each other things like "Big ol' doe, shoot her!", etc. while driving around. It was good motivation to take some does off the place. 'Course yours truly usually had to jump out and clean the thing so we could keep rolling with out a huge confab on how to clean a deer slowing everything down, but it was still fun.
Posted By: john paul

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/29/14 02:49 PM

I have some friends who do it on their lease. It does make things a lot more interesting and will definitely make you hunt harder. I know they for sure do biggest buck and most pigs.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/29/14 11:45 PM

We had a HUGE boar on our place that was really tearing stuff up and needed to go. I hunted him hard all spring/summer but never got a shot at him. We tend to lay off shooting pigs during deer season until everyone has at least passed on something. The night before opening day I went to my truck, got a staple gun, and stapled a $50.00 bill to the tree in the middle of camp. Anyone who brought that pig in or sent me a pic of him hanging could take it. No one ever collected on that one.

I heard of a lease (not saying where) but it straddled two AR counties. They had too many tall and narrow bucks, very few with width. They had a pot for closest buck to 13" without going under. From what I gather it had to be at least 3 years old by tooth pattern. It was a big lease and the pot, at $100/gun, had about $1,500.00 in it. I wouldn't recommend that one, personally.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/30/14 02:47 PM

Gambling is prohibited on my place since some people are sore arse losers. Had to break up a fight and run some folks off a few years ago.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 07/30/14 09:03 PM

We did it as kids and it was fun but one year deer were scarce and a guy killed a dink just to win the pot-we quit doing it after that.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 08/01/14 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
We did it as kids and it was fun but one year deer were scarce and a guy killed a dink just to win the pot-we quit doing it after that.

That is the downside, people doing things they normally wouldn't do just to win a silly bet.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 08/01/14 02:56 AM

Hunting to me is not a contest with other hunters, it is between me and the animal. And they normally win.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Hunting Camp Side Pot/ Bounty - 08/01/14 02:59 AM

Have done it when we needed a whole bunch of does shot. Pot was split and half went to the person who killed the most and half went to the person who killed the heaviest. Another pot was run where the person who killed the oldest buck (regardless of score) got half their lease dues paid the following season.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum