Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas)

Posted By: Wisemd123

Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 06/26/14 03:19 AM

Hello everyone! I'm an enthusiastic novice hunter. I absolutely love the sport, and consider myself an outdoorsman. I really want to join a club where I can learn more about it and become an avid hunter. I just bought a bow and haven't harvested anything yet. I've been looking for hogs but haven't found any on public land. Waterfowl is my passion, I would love to learn more about that also. I guess I'm looking for an all around hunting club. Do you guys know of any that are forgiving towards beginners? Thanks in advance
Posted By: PMK

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 06/26/14 12:51 PM

about the only one I am aware of in central Texas is Elm Creek about 10 miles east of Temple but I believe it's dove & duck only for hunting and also fishing (but might be catch & release???). http://elmcreekhunting.com/
Posted By: WileyCoyote

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 06/28/14 02:29 AM

I'm told you have access on base for hunting areas...chime in SapperTitan ... and help a trooper out.
Ron
Posted By: jdickey

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 06/30/14 02:02 PM

Check with the base WMR. If they are currently not having any event, they can point you in the right direction. Fort Hood offers some decent hunting for all game animals and predators.
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 07/01/14 11:43 AM

Good luck Steven, hope someone can get you some good info.
You will always be welcome back at my place.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 07/01/14 03:04 PM

When I was on Active Duty with Army, The Post Rod & Bottle Club was a good source for hunting/fishing opportunities. Might check em out.
Posted By: JakeJJ

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 07/01/14 03:52 PM

I've never deer hunted on hood. (use the in-laws land) I have duck hunted on post and around post.. Ducks can be hit and miss. I should be back in the states around duck opener. Feel free to hit me up. P.S. My year revolves around ducks. Deer are just freezer filler. Never trophy hunted, all meat hunts.
Posted By: N.La.Beagler

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 07/02/14 05:27 AM

On Hood you have to go to the Sportsman club behind motor pool road and apply for your post license and range access cards. Then you'll have to get state licenses as well. I think wal mart will give em to you free if you're still on active duty. I sold a car to a guy who guided on Hood and he told me that they put you on stands during deer season and you have to stay there until they come back for you. I think you might have to schedule your hunt as well and show up at the Sportsmans club when your hunt comes up so they can take you out.
The only other possibility I can think of is a place just south of Copperas Cove in Lampasas County on FM 2657. Pass Cove take a left onto 2657 and go about 5 miles.As you pass the Lampasas County line about 1/4 mile its the second house on the right. Guys name is Ferguson, if I remember correctly. He may have a spot on his lease. He told me his place is full every year, but it may have just been talk. Give it a shot.
Posted By: Wisemd123

Re: Hunting Clubs Near Fort Hood? (Central Texas) - 07/04/14 02:16 AM

Thanks for the info guys! Beagler, I appreciate the Info, I dont feel comfortable going to a random guys house though! Hahaha
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum