Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots

Posted By: Sq2 hunter

Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/06/14 09:37 PM

I'm planning to backpack 5 miles to elk hunt this year for archery elk and been debating on buying some light weight waterproof hiking low top hiking boots. What y'all's opinions on light hiking shoes vs bulky hunting boots?
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/06/14 10:00 PM

light versus bulky scratch go for comfort. safe & happy hunting flag
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/06/14 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: colt.45
light versus bulky scratch go for comfort. safe & happy hunting flag
X2. I would never give up waterproofing and height/protection to light shoes. Maybe the Cabela's Full Draw or upland boots? Or Under Armour's lightweights or Rocky's or Danner's....
Posted By: tlk

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 02:08 AM

depends - what kind of weather and temps? Hiking boots for comfort but if it gets nasty cold you will be begging for insulated boots
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 02:28 AM

Consider hunting boots in rocky terrain to give you ankle support. Nothing worse than being halfway up a mountain and twist/sprain an ankle or worse.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 03:54 AM

I have a high-end pair of LaCrosse hunting boots for my archery elk hunting. They come to just below the calf. I wouldn't even think about going up onto the mountain with a low top or ankle hiking boot. I have several good low top hiking boots, but you need the high support, mainly for walking through water and ankle support. They are not that heavier than a typical hiking boot. And they are very comfortable. When you buy a pair, make sure they fit like a glove, and break them in before you go.

Also, our hunting style is to make a satellite camp on the mountain somewhere near our hunting spot and hunt for 2-5 days there. So, your boots are a key item!!
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 11:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Consider hunting boots in rocky terrain to give you ankle support. Nothing worse than being halfway up a mountain and twist/sprain an ankle or worse.

+1. You'll be packing in 75-100 pounds of gear over uncertain terrain. And if you get your elk, you'll be packing out meat. This is no place to roll an ankle. Personally, I like the Lowa Sheep Hunters for comfort and support for MY feet. Your feet may prefer another brand, such as Danner Pronghorns, which generally get high marks for support and comfort. I would go to a big store like Cabelas and try on several.

Don't cut corners on footwear for mountain hunting.
Posted By: justinbentley

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 03:14 PM

I picked up a pair of Cabela's Denali's by Meindl for a similar style of hunting for deer at Lake Meredith. They really allowed me to forget about my feet and focus on hiking/hunting.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sq2 hunter
I'm planning to backpack 5 miles to elk hunt this year for archery elk and been debating on buying some light weight waterproof hiking low top hiking boots. What y'all's opinions on light hiking shoes vs bulky hunting boots?

Alot depends on pack weight and feet condition.

I have an ultra like boot (columbia peak freak i use them 95% of my archery elk hunts) and zamberlain voiz plus gtx.

I can't stand tall boots. Your going to move a lot more/walk a lot more archery hunting..heavier the boot more leg fatigue.
I'd look for a mid boot under 3.5 lbs.= Hanwang mountain light or cheyenne, lowa cevedale tech light, saloman quest 4d. Saloman com ent. Usually the heavier the stiffer the shank and sole.

What ever you decide need to get it know, make sure you get them broke in.

Also a huge fan of darn tough wool shocks

Posted By: Navasot

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 03:41 PM

I broke down and got some Under Armor boots... put my old mucks to shame... but so did the price
Posted By: don k

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/07/14 10:33 PM

When I was younger and went to either Colorado or New Mexico hunting I usually wore what was called then tennis shoes. I was many years younger and poorer then.
Posted By: DirtyDave

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/09/14 05:27 AM

I love my Merrel Moabs for Hot and Dry Early season Archery Deer hunting here in CA. Would not wear them if carrying a lot of weight through rough terrain though.
Posted By: Western

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/09/14 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

I have an ultra like boot (columbia peak freak i use them 95% of my archery elk hunts) and zamberlain voiz plus gtx.

I can't stand tall boots. Your going to move a lot more/walk a lot more archery hunting..heavier the boot more leg fatigue.
I'd look for a mid boot under 3.5 lbs.= Hanwang mountain light or cheyenne, lowa cevedale tech light, saloman quest 4d. Saloman com ent. Usually the heavier the stiffer the shank and sole.

Except for the brands (I don't have those) I agree 100%. That time of year is "usually" ok as far as temps. You would laugh if you knew how many bulls I harvested wearing sneaker. The year I hunted with a broke leg, I used my Red knee high snake boots and they did the trick for that trip. Archery, I always hunted with a sneaker style or low top "boot". I'd rather wear a $10 ankle support and have lighter shoes.

Ditto on good socks as well, poor socks can make a $500 pair of boots mute.

BTW, you can water proof almost any shoe, I even treat my "waterproof" shoes/boots each season with either the spray, or a rub on for my leather Sorels.
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/10/14 09:32 PM

My standard backpacking footwear is just a pair of low quarter hiking shoes, Merrells or something similar. Basically just a fairly heavy duty sneaker.

I get good arch support, cushioning, and excellent traction in a lightweight and comfortable package. No ankle support, of course, but I have never had any problems with my ankles in years and countless miles of backpacking in the mountains in NM.

If you are ordinarily a fan of high boots and like the ankle support, then definitely go with something tall, certainly no reason not too. However, if you have good ankles and like short shoes, in my experience they are a perfectly OK choice too, even if you are backpacking.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/10/14 09:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Western

Except for the brands (I don't have those) I agree 100%. That time of year is "usually" ok as far as temps. You would laugh if you knew how many bulls I harvested wearing sneaker. The year I hunted with a broke leg, I used my Red knee high snake boots and they did the trick for that trip. Archery, I always hunted with a sneaker style or low top "boot". I'd rather wear a $10 ankle support and have lighter shoes.

BTW, you can water proof almost any shoe, I even treat my "waterproof" shoes/boots each season with either the spray, or a rub on for my leather Sorels.

Yelp, really the columbia I wear are really high top trail running shoe.

Quieter also when your trying to be bow sneaky
Posted By: Western

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/11/14 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Western

Yelp, really the columbia I wear are really high top trail running shoe.

Quieter also when your trying to be bow sneaky

Good point!
Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/11/14 06:04 AM

I grew up hunting in the mountains, and spent a lot of time in the Mountains of Wyoming and Arizona. I have always found lighter to be better. I have never owned an expensive pair of hiking shoes. I did have a pair of heavy insulated tall Rockys once, and they were awful for climbing and stalking, but worked great duck/goose hunting. I am very limited in foot wear because I can't wear shoes that do not breathe well. I get the jungle foot stuff something awful, so I don't buy waterproof or insulated boots. In tough winter conditions, I wear silk/wool socks, and my leather red wings.

Posted By: vanguard

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/12/14 03:24 AM

rocky's s2v are awsome, light, ankle support, and really comfortable and have cushion in the heels and soles. most comfortable boot i have ever worn.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/12/14 10:36 AM

IMO if your feet are not conditioned to the mountains blister prevention is the #1 issue you are likely to face-no matter your boot choice. A thin pair of liner socks under your wool hiking socks works great for me. Plus take a blister kit.

I am with Bobo on early season hikers-pick a good brand that is comfortable FOR YOU and break them in well.

Good luck!
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Hunting boots vs hiking shoes-boots - 04/20/14 12:57 PM

I have a pair of Keen Ketchum hiking boots. Here's a link..
http://www.keenfootwear.com/us/en/product/shoes/men/outdoor/ketchum
Full arch support, lightweight, waterproof, over the ankle support, and speed laces. I highly recommend them. Most importantly, wear a good pair of wool socks with a sock liner. A sock liner will prevent blisters. Also make sure to "break in" your boots before hunting season. I wore mine months before while walking my dog just to make sure they wouldn't be an issue on my hunt. My outfitter told me that light weight hiking boots are best for elk hunting in the mountains. The Keen Ketchum fit the bill and they've been on several elk hunts I have done with no issues.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum