Texas Hunting Forum

Cockleburs.

Posted By: Sneaky

Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 08:04 PM

I have them growing along my creek, and I hate them. I had plans of digging them up and burning them, then it hit me....they're growing along the creek. When it rains and the creek flows, I suspect the water will just bring more in and provide me a constant battle. I'm not going to bother with them if they are going to keep repopulating with every rain. Should I attempt to control them?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 08:25 PM

My grandpa hated cockleburs, not just hated he HATED them. His rule was if he saw one it died, didn't matter that they would come from other pastures. Unless you have miles of creek beds, it should be that hard to get control over them. A good cotton hoe and walk will clean them out. If you don't you will not only have the washed in seeds you will have provided a plenty of your own contributing to the mess.
Posted By: MACV

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 09:22 PM

What Dogcatcher said, a good hoe and 30 minutes when you have time and they will be gone.

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 09:23 PM

I'll give it a go, then. I know my boys can't wait to get in on the fun.
Posted By: zederwatz

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 10:14 PM

Chop them down before they go to seed. If not, collect the cocklebur and sell as porcupine eggs. I have trouble with thistle from upstream and try to stay ahead by cutting the flowers and collecting in a feed sack and burning it.
Posted By: swmays

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 10:27 PM

2-4-D and a hand spayer works well.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 10:39 PM

Pulled them by hand when I was younger but graduated to 2-4-D in recent years. Makes me sick to go to some of our area lakes and see the banks lined with them. hammer

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/09/14 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: zederwatz
Chop them down before they go to seed. If not, collect the cocklebur and sell as porcupine eggs. I have trouble with thistle from upstream and try to stay ahead by cutting the flowers and collecting in a feed sack and burning it.

When the wind is blowing those thistles seeds can go for miles, at least the cockleburs don't.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/10/14 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: zederwatz
...collect the cocklebur and sell as porcupine eggs...

Ebay is your friend grin

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/10/14 03:13 AM

Thanks guys.

Porcupine eggs. I have to use that one.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/10/14 03:14 AM

Trap a couple of wild naugas and sell the porcupine eggs in their own custom made naugahyde pouch.

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/10/14 01:03 PM

I'll look for them between snipe hunts.

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/10/14 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky
I'll look for them between snipe hunts.

The oil field has a lot of city boys, they just might be in the market for porcupine eggs. Tell them they are best scrambled with chorizo. clap

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/10/14 06:19 PM

I know a few that just might go for it.
Posted By: IHateFeralPigs

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/10/14 07:44 PM

You might try to spray them with a little lacquer and make them fancy .... grin
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/11/14 04:45 AM

A crazy thing Cockleburs have 3 seeds in each bur that germinate over 3 years so even if you think you have them wiped out this year look for 2 more years of growth before those seeds are gone. It takes at least 3 years of control to rid a place of them even without other seeds being brought in by animals or water.

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/11/14 05:03 AM

Wonderful news. Now I can't sleep.
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/11/14 08:09 AM

kmon I think you just gave Sneaky nightmares!!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/11/14 11:34 AM

Not if he cannot sleep bolt
Posted By: 817cd

Re: Cockleburs. - 03/12/14 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: swmays
2-4-D and a hand spayer works well.

ya just spray some chemicals in your creek bed thats better than having cockleburs.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum