Texas Hunting Forum

Convert better half to a huntress

Posted By: YellowDog

Convert better half to a huntress - 02/17/14 09:28 PM

Who has converted there wives\girlfirends to huntress? My wife raised kids for 25 years. Then I went to work turning her into a huntress. Started off as a pheasant walker. Skeet range then dove hunting every weekend.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/17/14 09:53 PM

My wife won't hunt, but loves to stay at the lease.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/17/14 10:13 PM

Not sure if she fits the bill of huntress... but she had never held or fired a gun till we started dating. She has shot a couple deer and hogs and a javi this year. Also up to a 28 lb blue cat on rod and reel. She enjoys the hunting fishing and outdoors, but I think more than anything she likes the piece and quiet... but when we haven't seen anything in a while any critter within killin/catchin distance better watch out!
Posted By: J.R.

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/17/14 10:31 PM

Mine can take or leave deer & dove hunting, but get a hog inside 100 yds. and she turns into a murderous crazy-person. Not sure what it is about hogs, but she definitely got the fever after her first one.

Posted By: scrub buck

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/17/14 10:37 PM

Mine never would, but i have added that to my new applications....
Posted By: Jimbo1

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/17/14 10:53 PM

My wife of 3 yrs went this year for the first time and loved it. Also her first time to fire a rifle and shotgun. She's a little thing and after watching the recoil of a 12ga and a 30-30, I thought for sure she'd give up, but to my surprise she is crazy about shooting! Pretty darn good shot too. Looking forward to this year with her (if we can find another lease).
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 12:06 AM

One bull elk, two whitail buck's and two hogs, Mrs. B is coming along nicely, plus she loves to fish. I found my hunting and fishing buddy!
Posted By: BCJ

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 01:53 PM

I decided to convert mine ahead of time; we get married in two weeks so I'm ahead of the curve.
Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 03:05 PM

Mine sits in the blind with me on very cold days. As long she has a heater. But two weeks ago I shot an axis. She asked if she could shot the next one. hmmm Maybe she's moving up from dove to axis. Just need to find a gun that fits her now. think my brother has a Ruger No1.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 03:40 PM

Mrs. HnF wears that name with pride. She hunts, fishes, drives a jeep, and cooks too!

cheers banana
Posted By: talkturkey

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
She hunts, fishes, drives a jeep, and cooks too!

This... less the 'cooking' part, DH just can't have everything!
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Mrs. HnF wears that name with pride. She hunts, fishes, drives a jeep, and cooks too!

cheers banana

Awesome for the two of you! smile cheers
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 07:03 PM

If I would have tried in college, I bet I could have... probably not any more.
Posted By: DirtNapTET

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 07:30 PM

She'd never hunted or fished before we met in college...

Her first buck; Split mainbeam, 8.5 yr old.

And yep, she reeled this guy in by her self. Pretty sure it could have been the Texas Womens Record, but we didnt have a scale...

Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 08:41 PM

I need my space stir
Posted By: 603Country

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 09:43 PM

My wife likes to fish, but I just can't get her interested in hunting. She says she'll shoot a pig, but I don't know when that's going to be. She's lots of fun and a heck of a cook, so I guess hunting isn't that big a deal.
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/18/14 10:01 PM

Converted mine before we wed, but only bird hunting, especially likes dove hunting.
Posted By: gunslinger922

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/19/14 03:05 AM

My wife started off going to the lease to relax and read a good book. One day we did some mid-day target shooting with mt a remington 6mm. She loved the gun and impressed herself with how well she shot. She killed her first doe the next morning. It has been a whirlwind love affair with hunting ever since. This was her best year yet; largest buck, great 18 inch blackbuck and her first cow elk! Looking forward to many more hunting trips together
Posted By: Western

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/19/14 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: 603Country
My wife likes to fish, but I just can't get her interested in hunting. She says she'll shoot a pig, but I don't know when that's going to be. She's lots of fun and a heck of a cook, so I guess hunting isn't that big a deal.

That's my wife less the pig part. She did take a buck this year after me asking for 24 or so years (posted on THF somewhere). Loves to camp, fish and look for arrowheads and whatnot.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/19/14 02:34 PM

Still working on the conversion but she does like to fish and shoot the 22.
Posted By: Anteater

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/19/14 07:27 PM

Mine came ready to roll. Got to thank my father-in-law for that one. I helped it alone by giving her task to do. For example she is now in charge of all the game cameras; pulling cards, changing batteries, placement and sorting the pics. That is fine by me seeing that we have 10 cameras out over the place and can get 1000s of pictures on each in a month time. She also likes putting together comparison pics of deer over the years. This alone has helped out the management of the place more than anything. I also got her books to do research on how to age and score deer on the hoof so we can "talk the talk" together. It is more fun having her onsite we me.
Posted By: bigjoe8565

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/20/14 04:14 AM

I'm starting on mine after 30 years of marriage. She's gone on one pig hunt and went duck hunting this year, but only as an observer. The good thing is she really loves seeing my dog work, so hopefully she'll go on more duck hunts.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/20/14 05:13 AM

Mine was raised up hunting, she used to be ready to go most of the time, now she prefers to go when the weather is nice. But I getting to be the same way, we can go when we want, so we pick the days the weather is nice. Most of the time we don't even care if we shoot, just being out in the pasture is enough for us.
Posted By: DoubleTrouble

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/20/14 07:58 PM

Both my wife and daughter hunt! My wife was going to let this one walk this fall.....had to assure her he was mature!
Posted By: jwb

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 04:04 AM

It's nice to have your wife or girl friend go hunting or fishing with you. My wife and I have been hunting together over 45 yrs. Our son and daughter both hunt. Two granddaughters and two grandsons like to hunt. My youngest grandson (7 yrs.old) is practicing on his wingbone, getting ready for spring turkey hunting. Life is good.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter
I need my space stir
cheers
Posted By: Stub

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 12:36 PM

Before we got hitched, my wife used to hunt and fish with me all of the time.

When we got to the Altar; I said I Do, then she said I Don't Anymore hammer

I am good with that, on the hunting & fishing part anyways laugh
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 02:10 PM

After 27 years married and 25 of that raising kids, mine finally decided to go hunting with me. I discovered all of these years I have been sleeping with my hunting buddy. eeks333
I found another reason why I married that pretty gal. (It damn sure wasn't for money)
And them cold evenings in the blind are a little warmer than they used to be. banana
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Buckenvy
Originally Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter
I need my space stir
cheers

x 1000.

I can't imagine having my wife go hunting or fishing with me. My reason for going is to have "man" time away from the 4 girls in my house. She is more than happy to go shopping instead and I plan on keeping it that way.

We have a great marriage and get along very, very well, but that is one area of time that I reserve for myself for relaxing, thinking, prayer, spending time with my Dad, brother, and close friends, and enjoying the outdoors.
Posted By: Stub

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 03:14 PM

We want pictures I think confused2

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
After 27 years married and 25 of that raising kids, mine finally decided to go hunting with me. I discovered all of these years I have been sleeping with my hunting buddy. eeks333
I found another reason why I married that pretty gal. (It damn sure wasn't for money)
And them cold evenings in the blind are a little warmer than they used to be. banana
Posted By: Lonnie Paul Walker Jr.

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 05:18 PM

I grew up in a family that everyone is big in outdoors. Some of my greatest memories are with my grandmother hunting. My wife had no idea what she was getting into, lol.

But I will say that she more than adjusted, she does it all now.

Very blessed for that,

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 05:32 PM

Mrs. B

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 05:38 PM

OK she just had her nails done!

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/22/14 05:44 PM

Somebody say hog's?

Re: Convert better half to a huntress - 02/23/14 01:16 AM

Lets just say I won't go hunting without her!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum