Texas Hunting Forum

dropping horns

Posted By: firemedic442

dropping horns - 01/11/14 12:35 AM

who else is seeing the bucks dropping there horns already. have pics starting on the 31st of dec of deer with only one antler
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: dropping horns - 01/11/14 01:35 AM

little early for here flag
Posted By: cos

Re: dropping horns - 01/11/14 02:11 AM

Had 2 bucks last week of season with only one side.
Posted By: wfhunter

Re: dropping horns - 01/12/14 11:35 PM

Took this pic Friday evening 1-10, North of Breckenridge. The buck with his head down in the middle facing the camera has dropped both his antlers.

Untitled by wfhunter, on Flickr

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 06:23 PM

could be number of reasons why one sided. got video's of a young 3 point from fews years past first year went 2 buck county. video was taken Nov. Aif remember right. an widest rack deer seen on hoof had both sides in late Jan. after rifle season ended. have seen two bucks chasing doe, one a legal 8pointer the other legal 4pointer only one side of rack, am thinking it had help dropping other side, memmory not best think it was middle of Dec. got it wrote down some place. flag would get a second opinion, my fredit is bad scratch
Posted By: Dropp-243

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 07:07 PM

A fellow hunter this past weekend shot what he thought was a doe. It was a small buck that had shed both sides. While looking for the deer. They found one side of his horns. It was a spike
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: firemedic442
who else is seeing the bucks dropping there horns already. have pics starting on the 31st of dec of deer with only one antler

Did you know that horns are permanent? So deer can't drop horns, bc they don't have them. And if you knew this, call then the right thing, it's not hard to do.
Posted By: karaider00

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

Did you know that horns are permanent? So deer can't drop horns, bc they don't have them. And if you knew this, call then the right thing, it's not hard to do.

Whoa buddy
Posted By: caldwelldeerhunter

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 08:30 PM

ive seen em already dropping
Posted By: fouzman

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 08:37 PM

I assume TSU stands for Texas Southern? Show me one deer, any species of deer, that does not shed its antlers. I'll bet you're one of those who shoots a heifer claiming you thought it was a deer.
Posted By: Dropp-243

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 08:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Dropp-243
A fellow hunter this past weekend shot what he thought was a doe. It was a small buck that had shed both sides. While looking for the deer. They found one side of his horns. It was a spike
My bad antlers.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

I assume TSU stands for Texas Southern? Show me one deer, any species of deer, that does not shed its antlers. I'll bet you're one of those who shoots a heifer claiming you thought it was a deer.

Umm, I can't show you a species, but thanks for furthering my point, I appreciate it.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 08:56 PM

No he is a Tarleton Grad. Unfortantly

.....think......Horns vs antlers......

But to answer your question......here you go

More of a condition though

Posted By: fouzman

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 09:14 PM

Umm, I can't show you a species, but thanks for furthering my point, I appreciate it.

roflmao I finally got it. I'm kinda slow some days.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 09:19 PM

Nothing like a little friendly conversation to relax a guy after a hard day at the office...

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 09:28 PM

are all the bucks walking around one sided, or do some still have both sides confused2 some times the older, streased out from rutt will lose their antlers faster than rest. ones i have seen, scratch may have lost one side in fight. flag
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 11:30 PM

Boy that one went over your head!
Posted By: Big Tony

Re: dropping horns - 01/13/14 11:36 PM

rofl
Posted By: HMK

Re: dropping horns - 01/14/14 05:17 AM

ol' dish has a sour stomach and needs a glass of buttermilk. Laughing.
Posted By: upsslim

Re: dropping horns - 01/14/14 12:36 PM

We were at a hunt on a high wire ranch last weekend and all the bucks had already shed. The owner told me that on a HF they shed sooner than on open range. It has something to do with how much they fight in the fall. My son went shed hunting and found some real good ones. picture later.
Posted By: upsslim

Re: dropping horns - 01/14/14 12:45 PM

These are the sheds they found Sat. afternoon.
Posted By: okjhutch

Re: dropping horns - 01/14/14 05:10 PM

a few years ago, i had 4- 6 pt bucks moving thru here at the house, they were grouped up and all looked like twins, they were all identical, surprised me they still had horns it was first of march (souhern oklahoma)thats the latest i have seen antlers still on

Re: dropping horns - 01/14/14 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: okjhutch
a few years ago, i had 4- 6 pt bucks moving thru here at the house, they were grouped up and all looked like twins, they were all identical, surprised me they still had horns it was first of march (souhern oklahoma)thats the latest i have seen antlers still on

scratch think i've seen one or two with antlers end of Feb. beginning of March. offtopic i think its the work of sasquatch & the deer are mythical creatchers that are able ta make their horns fall off ta keep from being captured. trying ta get a Government grant ta do more resurch, but the men in black beet me too it back flag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum