Texas Hunting Forum

New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk

Posted By: huntnfishtx

New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 06:42 AM

I've been a whitetail deer hunter most of my life; got off a lease a couple years back and still have the hunting bug big time. Being a full time dad, full time worker and full time student doesn't leave a lot of time to manage a lease like I'd like to. What I can do is take 7-10 days off to do one hunt.

Right now I am trying to decide between putting in the for New Mexico Mule Deer draw or just going OTC for Elk in Colorado. I was really interested in mulies, yet the more I read/watch information about back country elk hunting, the more appealing the challenge and adventure look.

What are y'alls thoughts?
Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Re: New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 07:33 AM

Do both. Try to get a hunt where you can take both. But if you have to choose, elk all the way. Once you hear that first bugle hunting never be the same
Posted By: rifleman

Re: New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 07:45 AM

My thoughts are to flip your species for the states; NM elk & CO muleys.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 11:16 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

+1. Put in for archery and muzzleloader elk tags in the Gila country. Put in for preference points annually for Colorado muleys, and every 2-3 years you can draw a nice front range or eastern plains tag. I wouldn't bother with an OTC tag, although certainly, others here will disagree.
Posted By: txvarminter

Re: New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 12:29 PM

I've done the OTC thing 2 times with guys who have been up there for 10+ years and have yet to even SEE an elk and I walked 6-8 miles a day. OTC tags are after the rut and they don't bugle or pattern for crap. The only guys I saw with elk were either lucky rascals or were on horseback where they could make it in a LOT further than us on foot. Usually ran across at least 10 other orange clad suckers a day Save your money and go on a guided private land hunt.

Mule deer all the way
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: txvarminter
I've done the OTC thing 2 times with guys who have been up there for 10+ years and have yet to even SEE an elk and I walked 6-8 miles a day. OTC tags are after the rut and they don't bugle or pattern for crap. The only guys I saw with elk were either lucky rascals or were on horseback where they could make it in a LOT further than us on foot. Usually ran across at least 10 other orange clad suckers a day Save your money and go on a guided private land hunt.

Mule deer all the way

3/4 of the units in CO are otc archery for elk. If the rut isn't in sept, I don't know when it is.

As far as for the OP. NM=bigger elk CO= bigger mule deer
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 08:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogslayer5L
Do both. Try to get a hunt where you can take both. But if you have to choose, elk all the way. Once you hear that first bugle hunting never be the same

I concur but that can get $$$$$/. Nothing beats a herd bull screaming in your face, but spot and stalk archey mulies is a blast
Posted By: huntnfishtx

Re: New Mexico Mulies vs Colorado Elk - 01/02/14 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

I'd thought about doing this, however if I'm not mistaken, both are draws which means I could end up with nothing at all.

Really considering now putting in for New Mexico Elk and then if I don't draw there, getting OTC Elk in Colorado.

Originally Posted By: Hogslayer5L

Watched a show the other day and had the Bose turned on and that bugle sounded crazy....
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum