Texas Hunting Forum

Elk in Texas?

Posted By: Loden

Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 10:40 PM

Guy I know has a place out in SW Texas near Big Bend (Presidio area). He was out there this last week, and said he saw an elk. He says he has heard they have started releasing them. Anybody know anything about this? True or not? Areas of release, etc.?
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 10:44 PM

There are some free range elk in west Texas.
Posted By: TSU99

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 10:46 PM

I think they have a heard near Fort Davis.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 10:53 PM

I know the one of these herds mentioned here VERY well. Not really a release herd. Elk were once native to Texas and Big Bend is actually the tail of the rockies. There are book, low fence, elk in Texas. No doubt. You can find them on MANY ranches south of I-10. I jumped a nice cow elk while scouting a ranch near Bakersfield and Squa-tit.

Big and Little Shebano (I have no idea how to spell this ranch) released some on their ranches and let them go wild (no fence) a few years back.

Panhandle hunters will knock down an elk that comes over the state line from time to time from OK or NM.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 11:05 PM

Some were released out there in the 70's, and some have moved in from NM.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 11:13 PM

There are more free range elk in Texas than a lot would believe. At one time there was an elk season but the State decided to just classify all elk in the state exotics even though many are not.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Sneaky

30's
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 11:33 PM

I've seen them in the mountains south of Sierra Blanca.
Posted By: KWood_TSU

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 11:34 PM

There used to be elk native in the panhandle. They would winter in the panhandle, and go to the mountains in the summer. Now they just move up and down a mountain.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/09/13 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted By: Sneaky

30's

Close enough.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 12:16 AM

Records were sketchy way back, but some historians think Merriam's elk, now extinct, were in the Guadalupe Mountains (and on through the southwest). All elk in Texas now seem to be from released stock.

I know the state wants you to shoot them in the Sierra Diablo mountains, if you get drawn for a mule deer hunt there. They want the terrain as pristine as possible for the Desert Bighorns.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 12:20 AM

I have heard of an elk being seen in central Texas. There is a high fence area near by that has stocked exotics, maybe one or more elk were there and got out.
Posted By: dkershen

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 12:33 AM

Muley Mike can book you a free range Elk hunt in west Texas if you have the $$. The ranchers there are doing a good job of nuturing the herds.

Last year the bull below was shot in Palo Duro Canyon in the panhandle.

Posted By: HorizonFirearms

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 12:39 AM

I got a picture from a buddy around Semour at his feeder it looked like elk cows or stag to me. only saw them once and there was about 5 of them
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Records were sketchy way back, but some historians think Merriam's elk, now extinct, were in the Guadalupe Mountains (and on through the southwest). All elk in Texas now seem to be from released stock.

I know the state wants you to shoot them in the Sierra Diablo mountains, if you get drawn for a mule deer hunt there. They want the terrain as pristine as possible for the Desert Bighorns.

the elk in New Mexico are also released elk, from the Yellowstone herd.
Posted By: Western

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 12:55 AM

I have seen Elk South of Van Horn while hunting mule deer.

Pretty much what you guys have said. From what I have been told. the native Elk where shot out and are now extinct. The elk here now are the result of animal trades with other states, and some that have migrated from NM.
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 01:24 AM

There is a free range herd in the hills around Garner State Park. A guy who sells real estate and did some taxidermy on ten side had 80 acres he hunted and shot an enormous 6x6 that happened to wonder by his stand.
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 01:26 AM

Hmmm...I've heard of West TX free range elk. Not many. Would be nice to see a growing herd here.
Posted By: Loden

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 01:29 AM

Thanks ya'll, that is interesting info. Of course living in East Texas I have never seen one in the wild. Figured there would be a chance of HF getting out. We had a zebra running around the river bottoms here a few years back LOL. Elk hunt is definately on my to do list, and would be even better if it could be done in Texas.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

the elk in New Mexico are also released elk, from the Yellowstone herd.

And Arizona. Texas/NM/Arizona where the orginal merriam elk herd. Think i read some of those elk also came from the Dakotas in the 30's also

Merriam herd actually had biggr antlers. DNA mapping is saying a few Merriams might of made in AZ on a few Reservations why such big elk come out of AZ. I think that might be some of it and the limited Tags..

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek
Hmmm...I've heard of West TX free range elk. Not many. Would be nice to see a growing herd here.

A lot more then one would think. For years they been on the downlow. Youve got to remember the ranch sizes out there, 100'000's acres plus. Been a pretty well kept secret, now the herds have expanded east and hit the smaller properties
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 03:50 AM

elk are all over the place once you hit Marathon. Catto Gage loaded up with them, Cibolo Creek Ranch and on down toward Big Bend STATE Park there is a ton. Almost time to afford them protected status in my opinion, too majestic of an animal to be categorized as invasive.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: mr. buck
elk are all over the place once you hit Marathon. Catto Gage loaded up with them, Cibolo Creek Ranch and on down toward Big Bend STATE Park there is a ton. Almost time to afford them protected status in my opinion, too majestic of an animal to be categorized as invasive.

Make zero sense, the reason the herds have grown so large are because of private land owner actions.
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:19 AM

A buddy of mine hunted a ranch outside of Sanderson the last few years that had 6-8 elk show up 2 yrs ago. They didn't shoot any of them though.
Posted By: A.B.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:26 AM

I have personally talked to Clayton Wolf about the free range herd. TPWD was shooting elk on sight at the Sierra Diablo. The man that owns the Circle ranch called them on that and the TPWD stood down from killing them. Clayton says they are not native. I told him that wasn't the spill the TPWD was selling back in the 80's. It wasn't until the drought hit that the TPWD led by Nolan Ryan, decided to side with the high dollar bighorn and make the elk a non game animal, kill them on sight. Much to their chagrin the elk have made a huge come back. The Circle and the Longfellow ranches both offer hunts and kill some monsters. Muley Mike here has some great ground he hunts. A coach I know at Dell City says during the winter they are over run with elk around town. The Canadian River Ranch, up in the panhandle also has a native herd. I believe they have over 100 elk on their 770000 acres.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:29 AM

Make zero sense, the reason the herds have grown so large are because of private land owner actions.

The ranchers have saved them from the TPWD.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 05:06 AM

There has been a heard in the glass mountains south west of Fort Stockton for 25 years or longer.
Posted By: 338ultra

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 05:21 AM

I wish they roamed all of Texas again.
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 12:20 PM

We had a cow over at our place in Iraan a couple years ago. Had her on camera a few times but disappeared.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:03 PM

Have hunted on a place south of Alpine and seen some on that ranch. I have also been driving between Marathon and Alpine and seen a herd right off the road.
Posted By: whtbeard

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:09 PM

Worked on a logging unit at Longfellow for a while. Elk were all over that place.
Posted By: don k

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:26 PM

I got one free range between Kerrvile and Mountain Home 30 years ago.
Posted By: doogie

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:27 PM

I have a place low fence in the hill country.
I have several bull and cow elk on trail cam.

Wildlife biologist told me their is a free range heard of 200+ in the hill country with numerous off shoots of the main heard.

I guess I have one of the off shoots.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:30 PM

This is all good to hear. Wish TPWD had funds to research the herd to see if it is viable for management. To me, it already sounds like it is from the THF posts.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:33 PM

This is all good to hear. Wish TPWD had funds to research the herd to see if it is viable for management. To me, it already sounds like it is from the THF posts.

As long as the co-exist in same habitat as the Bighorn, then they will be seen as a nuisance. Big horn comes first in their opinion, and that rule holds true on their managed lands. Couple of us have hunted the herds that got push out of Serria Daiblo
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 02:38 PM

I have seen elk in Foard and Cottle Counties, however, I believe they either escaped or where released from a HF ranch along the Pease. They were running with cows and I thought I was seeing things.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 03:24 PM

Bighorn comes first because TP&W has declared bighorns as their star. I know I could never afford a bighorn hunt, but might be able to afford an elk hunt one of these days in Texas from the way it sounds.
Posted By: mr. buck

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:26 PM

To clarify, i wasn't implying that they shouldn't be hunted, was simply saying that they should be categorized as game animals. Then leave it up to TP&W on whether to manage thru open season, land owner voucher, etc...Just think categorizing them as non-native with a year round open season is being somewhat dismissive of such a desirable animal
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:42 PM

As long as the co-exist in same habitat as the Bighorn, then they will be seen as a nuisance. Big horn comes first in their opinion, and that rule holds true on their managed lands. Couple of us have hunted the herds that got push out of Serria Daiblo

As they should. to cheap and easy to do elk hunts elsewhere...nothing cheap or easy about hunting bighorn. Besides, an exploding elk herd will send MD pops in steep decline, like it has all across the West. Having said that, those private landowners out that way have the ability to do as they please, slaughter them if they don't want them, let them live if they do and it's probably the best scenario for everyone.
Posted By: crstfr

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:44 PM

my neighbor has elk on his HF ranch... you can hear them bugling in the mornings.. .cool stuff!

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:45 PM

Exactly their stance. Mr. Wolf said that they are non native and compete with the sheep. He said they stood down from shooting them on Sierra Diablo when the public started to grumble and decided to offer the elk on public hunts. I told him that NM and AZ both have ecosystems very similar to Texas and they have both species and have no problem. All about the $

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: whtbeard
Worked on a logging unit at Longfellow for a while. Elk were all over that place.

Ponderosa Pine?

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: A.B.

Exactly their stance. Mr. Wolf said that they are non native and compete with the sheep. He said they stood down from shooting them on Sierra Diablo when the public started to grumble and decided to offer the elk on public hunts. I told him that NM and AZ both have ecosystems very similar to Texas and they have both species and have no problem. All about the $

Its because Gov tag brings 100k. Okla raises close to a 100k if not more on their public land elk draw hunts. You would think TX could figure it out
Posted By: Wader

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 04:59 PM

I sure wish some would follow the Red River to Montague and Cooke counties.

-ww

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 05:25 PM

Found a RMEF map that shows current and historical ranges of elk. Interesting...check it out:
http://www.rmef.org/Conservation/WhereWeConserve.aspx?elkrange=true&projects=false
Posted By: doogie

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 06:44 PM

Its hard to see elk on my low fence open range property in Texas an let them pass ( but I have been doing it). My hope is to let them multiply. I can understand not wanting Elk to compete with whitetail or other native animals, but they sure are nice animals that I would love to see grow in population.

Unfortunately being a low fence area, my neighbors may not feel the same way.

My plan is to not shoot any elk on my property unless my young daughters want to take one.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 07:24 PM

They are native, at least that was the story told back in the 80's.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 07:46 PM

They're as native as the wolves that were turned loose in YellarStone.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 07:48 PM

Big horns should come first. They're native, very volatile, and need to be reestablished well.

Yes elk were native, but they aren't worried about going extinct.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 07:49 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman

Actually, those wolves were not native to Yellowstone.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

Actually, those wolves were not native to Yellowstone.

That was his point. Different sub species

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: KWood_TSU

Big horns should come first. They're native, very volatile, and need to be reestablished well.

Yes elk were native, but they aren't worried about going extinct.

Doesnt matter. Go buy a couple 100k acres, then you can decide what you want on it

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 08:10 PM

They are native, at least that was the story told back in the 80's.

The ones I have are federal transplants from KS
Posted By: whtbeard

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: whtbeard

Ponderosa Pine?

East side of the HWY, after the little gas compressor station that about 30 miles south of FS,
20 miles in on the ranch.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 08:34 PM

Which species, elk or bighorn sheep, would the common hunter get more use out of in Texas? Look which one is being stuffed down our throats. Another example of government deciding what is best for us commoners.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 09:12 PM

The common hunter won't get much use out of either.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 09:13 PM

My buddy has them on trail cam pics on his place near Carta Valley....I know a big bull was hit by a car near Leakey about 10 years ago. There have also been Black Bear sightings in both places as well.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 09:17 PM

The common hunter won't get much use out of either.

Well correct and incorrect

Correct on private land and in correct on state managed land. Survival and reproduction rates of elk are higher than Desert Big horns, there for more tag numbers to draw

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 09:28 PM

Yeah and a serious CC issue that will draw scrutiny regardless of how tpw tries to manage them...they have to eat & drink at everything else's espense. Good for the few lucky draw hunters who will likely hunt elk elsewhere anyway.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 09:29 PM

I have free rang elk on my place. they got out of a high fence about 10 years ago. a few have got shot this year but most of the landowners agreed to let them walk.

Posted By: Sooner N TX

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 09:33 PM

Common hunter is already getting the use out of the elk. They are ther and if you want to shoot them, do it. If they decide it should be a game animal, look for entering drawings for tag.

To me, a common hunter is one that hunts the game animals withing a 5 hour drive of his or her house.

Sorry, but I consider myself a "common" hunter, and spending $$$ on a lottery to try to maybe get the chance to take a week off work to go way out in west TX to maybe get a shot at one is not in my budget. You might have a better chance to pull an elk tag than a big horn tag, but you still have to invest in the lottery.

As it is, the local guys get what they want out of it, and those with the means can go get one for themselves. Now hush so the state doesn't realize that if they take controll of the elk away from the land owners, they could make huge money.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 09:41 PM

Common hunter was in refference to state managed lands vs private land
The Common hunter has no access to the millions of private acres those elk currently reside, nor the 5500-13k to hunt those private ranches, thus there only opportunity would be a state draw on state ran lands like serria diablo.

My opinion is they should stay as a listed exotic and management left to private land owners. With that said I think the state of texas should embrace the elk not eliminate

Posted By: BurrOak

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 10:04 PM

I think the state of texas should embrace the elk not eliminate

Word.

I've seen no mention of it yet, but there is also a free-range herd of elk in the College Station area.
Posted By: OldTexan

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 10:51 PM

I don't understand how they would conflict with Bighorn Sheep?

I also am not following why they can't be managed the same as white tailed deer and be hunted on any land?

Just curious as game laws often make little sense since they are written by government folks that possess little in the way of common sense.....

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/10/13 11:20 PM

Elk require a lot more food & water than the deer species and in that poor habitat it's like them being on winter range 24/7/365 with every other species. Sheep tend to avoid other species and are easily pushed off food and water....the poor man's exotic sheep has been out there for the longest causing problems.

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/11/13 03:44 PM

Common hunter was in refference to state managed lands vs private land
The Common hunter has no access to the millions of private acres those elk currently reside, nor the 5500-13k to hunt those private ranches, thus there only opportunity would be a state draw on state ran lands like serria diablo.

My opinion is they should stay as a listed exotic and management left to private land owners. With that said I think the state of texas should embrace the elk not eliminate

And apparently them being taken off the game species list saved them. Proof yet again, that private citizens do a better job than government.

The only problem I see, is these free range elk do not qualify for B&C unless they are a game animal. Texas has a few elk in the record book, since they were harvested back when they were game animals, but several have been killed in last few years that would make the book, but don't qualify.
Posted By: Glassangler

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/12/13 09:54 PM

Buddy got some pictures of 2 cow elk in Cooke about a month ago.
Posted By: GusWayne

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/12/13 10:31 PM

I saw two free ranging elk in Wise Co last year.

Seriously.

I believe they escaped at some point from a high fence. I've heard of several others running around in the same area.
Posted By: DEERSHED

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/12/13 10:35 PM

Had a picture in july in Coleman at my feeder... a nice bull elk. He was only there 1 day and never seen on camera again.
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/13/13 04:17 AM

http://blog.kingsoutdoorworld.com/2006/01/23/world-record-elk-from-texas/

http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/tmot1/cervelap.htm

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/13/13 04:43 AM

Interesting.

Quote:
Conclusion:
Ronnie took this great bull in a fair chase environment, however, this bull is not a fair chase bull. It will not be accepted in the Boone and Crockett or Pope and Young record books because of the managed status of elk in Texas through the Fish and Game. Furthermore, even if elk in Texas were accepted entry into the record books, this bull would still not be eligible due to the fact that it is linked to a high fenced game farm.

Due to the age of the elk and the fact that the CF Ranch released ranch bulls into their ranch about seven to eight years ago, this elk is directly linked to a high fence ranch. It is not even a generation removed from a high fenced environment. I believe it is a bull that directly originated from a game farm, bred in a game farm, and later released into the wild. However, this bull was not released and immediately hunted or shot like some operations. It was in the wild for several years, but this does not change the fact that it is a ranch bull.
Posted By: axisaddict

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/13/13 03:12 PM

We have a few on our place in Camp Wood. They are more than likely escapees, but the is a small herd of about 9 this year, with one nice 6x6. They are protected in our area, we have an agreement with us and all of our neighbors and land owners. Its fun to watch the heerd grow. Hopefully when my kids are old enough we will have a nice herd that we can hunt from time to time.
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: Elk in Texas? - 12/14/13 12:27 AM

In the 80's TPWD traded a bunch of rio grande turkeys to CO for some elk. dropped them in Davis Mtns. I just saw a ton of them mule deer hunting this week. Low fence but large private ranch. They are cool
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum