Texas Hunting Forum

Deer Movement in lower Hill Country

Posted By: Don Dial

Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/20/13 07:35 AM

Had some service work last couple of days and sat our feeder inTarpley til Dark I went to Hondo, D'Hanis twice, Utopia, Kerrville and almost Fredericksburg No deer not moving until after dark and a very little in the mornings early. Acorns still on the ground, and even my pets at home are nocturnal now, hitting deer block a little.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/20/13 01:15 PM

Good. I'm hunting Sabinal the first weekend in December and don't want the rut to be completely over.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/20/13 01:15 PM

I bet the cold front coming sparks a little somethin' somethin' though.
Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/20/13 02:40 PM

the moon is still pretty full as well. Thanksgiving weekend should be good. Cool weather predicted and less then half a moon.
Posted By: clharr

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/20/13 04:32 PM

They were moving pretty good in San Saba this morning. Seen about ten all together between 6:45 to 8:00. Not much after that though. I'm here until late next week and am thinking about taking it easy and waiting for the front to hit.
Posted By: joeshooter

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/20/13 08:09 PM

I just got a hit on a new deer lease just north of Sabinal. I am fired up about the opportunity. A hunter that I coached in HS is spending more time at his brother's smaller ranch. He asked me to take over for him. Just give him some money he lost. He has not hunted the ranch this season. The feeders have been running since early Sept. Tri-pod is set, ground blind is good. I am going in the morning to see it. On the hwy to ConCan, 13 miles off hwy.90 in the hills about a mile off 127.
Posted By: Jaret Latta

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 02:42 AM

great weekend coming up!
Posted By: GeneralLefty

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 03:01 AM

moon and acorns
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 03:26 AM

Lots of acorns this year for sure. You'll do fine I'm sure. Good luck and tell us how you do.
Posted By: kruzzin

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 03:36 AM

Hunted in Hondo all weekend and seen one doe early in the early in morning. Out of 6 hunters only 4 deer total was seen. They aren't eating the feeders. Acorns are dropping like crazy and fresh green grass is growing need a good frost to help.
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 05:54 AM

They were checking does when I was in Real County a week and a half ago.

As usual, we're expecting the rut to crank up between Thanksgiving and the first week of December.
Posted By: jim1961

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 04:39 PM

We have been real slow in Edwards County but are hoping that as the full moon goes away and the strong cold snap arrives things will pick up
Posted By: Borderline11

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 05:42 PM

We are already seeing some increased movement (Junction, Kimble County) since the weekend. We still have a lot of acorns on the ground that need to sour though.
Posted By: don k

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/21/13 07:48 PM

Just got back from Kerrville and saw 2 bucks chasing a doe right before the city limits
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/22/13 02:51 PM

Sometimes it makes you think there is one big hole in the ground where all the deer go to hide.
It should be about to bust loose if not already!
Posted By: joeshooter

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/22/13 03:49 PM

I jumped on the opportunity to get on the deer lease just north of Sabinal. It seemed like not a bunch of movement just yet. But my son was impressed and encouraged. That is all I needed. I have done my fair share of knock-downs. He is hoping to catch up. So off we go into the hills on Sunday night for a 2-3 day trip. We have a nice pole barn for shelter and it blocks the north wind. Looking forward to it.
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/23/13 04:34 AM

Buddies were saying the same about our lease north of Medina, Tx. Been slow going for us but the neighbors have been doing day hunts too, that may also have something to do with it. Hopefully action picks up when I get home.
Posted By: Guero

Re: Deer Movement in lower Hill Country - 11/23/13 10:54 PM

So out in Uvalde county. Havent seen anything but hogs since Monday night. Not even hitting the feeders at night strange i think, and no pressure from anyone out here.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum