Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed?

Posted By: Gone to Texas

Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 05:42 PM

Hey Y'all,

Just curious if anyone puts notches on their rifle. I am considering doing it if/when I take some deer this season. I bought a new Henry 30-30 and I think it would look pretty awesome with some notches in it. At the same time, I am sure it hurts the value of it.

Just a thought, let me know if y'all do this or have any other cool traditions after taking wild game.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 05:46 PM

Why would you purposely degrade a weapon, not to mention the animal, in that way? If all the animal is to you is another notch on your gun, I would suggest getting a different hobby. Perhaps table tennis.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 05:46 PM

No way, I have rifles that I bought that are 50 plus years old. I want them to look as good today as they were when I got them.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 05:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
Why would you purposely degrade a weapon, not to mention the animal, in that way? If all the animal is to you is another notch on your gun, I would suggest getting a different hobby. Perhaps table tennis.

FWIW, he didn't say anything about the animal only being "another notch".

If anything, it could also be seen as a memorial and sign of respect to the animal. One more way of remembering the animal and the hunt.
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 05:49 PM

My dad wanted to notch his 44 mag for each animal he shot with it. He didn't live long enough to even take a shot at a deer with it, so who knows if he would have carried through with it.

It is your gun, do with it what you want.

That said, I don't have any notches in any of mine.
Posted By: therock

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:08 PM

Nope. Never have and never will. Not saying its wrong but not my thing. Wouldn't have much of a stock left on a few of my guns if I did!

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: jdk1985

If anything, it could also be seen as a memorial and sign of respect to the animal. One more way of remembering the animal and the hunt.

I am not trying to degrade the animal but more like jdk1985 mentioned as remembering the animal. I thought of it as seeing the notch and looking back on the experience. If a picture says 1,000 words, I figured a notch could do the same.

However, I do play table tennis! Sorry if I offended you in anyway, I did not have any intention of doing that.
Posted By: Western

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:14 PM

I wouldn't notch mine either, but there are other options. A leather wrap on the stock near the butt, with say some "trim" hanging down woold look neat and you could use a wood burning tool or even go so far and get yourself a customized mini "brand"

I see no disrespect doing this if its "your way". I bet nobody keeps photos, post on the net or facebook thingy either?? I dont see any difference.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: therock
Wouldn't have much of a stock left on a few of my guns if I did!

X2

I knew a guy that did around is receiver. he lived in another state where its one deer a year. he had like 6 notches on his gun. it was pretty neat.

I own the same rifle and would have notches all the way from the receiver around the foreend and back down the other side.
Posted By: Satch

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:28 PM

Personally I think it is pretty cool and doesn't degrade the animal or the weapon one bit. IMO it would make a great gun to pass down. My Great Grandfather had a double barrel 12ga shot gun that he hunted the woods of East Texas with and it had notches on the stock from his deer kills. I wanted that thing so bad groing up and you are correct in the memories. He told me the stories of every one. He is passed on and the youngest boy of eight boys (my uncle) has that shotgun now and will pass it to one of his boys I'm sure. I say do it and give it to your son or daughter some day. 2cents
Posted By: .257 guy

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:29 PM

The thought never occurred to me to consider it but........ No I wouldn't

Like was said earlier though, it's your gun if you want to devalue it, go ahead. Not meaning that to sound demeaning or belittling but it would plummet the value of the weapon

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas

Originally Posted By: jdk1985

I am not trying to degrade the animal but more like jdk1985 mentioned as remembering the animal. I thought of it as seeing the notch and looking back on the experience. If a picture says 1,000 words, I figured a notch could do the same.

However, I do play table tennis! Sorry if I offended you in anyway, I did not have any intention of doing that.

I apologize for misreading your intentions. blush That being said, I would never intentionally deface one of my firearms. Not only for the destruction of the value, but because my weapons will be handed down and the memories/notches would not be their memories/notches.
Posted By: Elkman

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:30 PM

Would not have much of a stock left if I did it to my rifle, the only thing that would be handed down is the action and barrel.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:36 PM

Same here.
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:37 PM

No. Never.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:44 PM

It's your gun so do as you please but I would never do it myself.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:52 PM

I wouldn't ever consider it. x2 others' comment that it's your gun, do what pleases you.
Alternative if still available? I vaguely remember from many decades ago some outdoor sports place preceding BassPro/Cabelas/Etc (Herters?) sold little tacks you could buy to kind of memorialize the trophies you shot.
Posted By: pegasaurus

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 06:59 PM

So, does notching your bed post degrade the value of your bed? confused2
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 07:10 PM

I don't think I'd notch my gun but we do write date, time, name, buck or doe and how many points in the deer blind.
Posted By: destroyer4570

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 07:12 PM

I would never do that to any of my firearms, I have a rifle that passed down to me by my father,he had bought it when he was about 18 or 19. He told me once that he had thought about putting notches on the stock for every deer that he took, later he mentioned to me that he was glad he had not done so and ruin the beautiful stock on the rifle. I agree with what others have said, it's your rifle to do what you want, but just be sure that later on down the road your still ok with your choice to notch your rifle.

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
So, does notching your bed post degrade the value of your bed? confused2

Yours? Probably not. Who would possibly want it when you were done with it anyhow? grin
Posted By: Core-Lokt

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 07:34 PM

I would take it as sign someone is trying to impress others with their hunting prowess, rather than commemoration. YMMV
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 07:45 PM

I have thought about putting notches on my gun but haven't done it. Instead, I think I will start keeping a log of each animal harvested with a story of that hunting trip. Might even write stories of my unsuccessful hunts. I can hand that down with my gun. Maybe one day someone can show the writing of their great grand dad, grand dad, and dad's hunting experiences.
Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 07:48 PM

I kept my shell casings from all of my kills.

Now, I will have to figure something else out the day I stick one with an arrow.

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx_Phantom

Now, I will have to figure something else out the day I stick one with an arrow.

I do the same thing.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 08:50 PM

I only notch my guns for law breakers and liberals, too much respect for the animals I shoot to mark up my guns.
Posted By: Western

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tShawnB
I only notch my guns for law breakers and liberals, too much respect for the animals I shoot to mark up my guns.

Would be less damage to notch them for deer than libs, have you seen how many there are running around in the "burbs" these days grin
Posted By: grins

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 09:08 PM

My dad would write information down on a 3x5 index card whenever he bought a gun. If he took it hunting and killed something, he would record the information on the back of the card. He had to add more index cards to some of his favorite guns. When he died I received several of these guns and cards. It was very cool to go through these cards and see what he killed, distance, location, etc. I'll try and post a picture of one of these cards tonight.
Here's a picture of the back of some of the cards.

[/URL]
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: grins
My dad would write information down on a 3x5 index card whenever he bought a gun. If he took it hunting and killed something, he would record the information on the back of the card. He had to add more index cards to some of his favorite guns. When he died I received several of these guns and cards. It was very cool to go through these cards and see what he killed, distance, location, etc. I'll try and post a picture of one of these cards tonight.

That might make my grand kids know that I really didn't kill hundreds of deer during my lifetime.

partyon555
Posted By: KG68

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:09 PM

I take their scap and hang in the living room. grin
Posted By: Bill_OA

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:19 PM

I never have notched my actual rifle, but I do put notches on my leather sling on my rifle. They are small and don't show up much, but they are there if you look. The sling isn't going to get much in resale, but I enjoy having a count of what I have taken with the rifle. I keep deer on one side and pigs on the other. Some of my slings are pretty unbalanced.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:23 PM

that ol boy on moonshiners notched his Winchester 94. Certain marks for bear, deer, hogs. That's the one time that I have seen it look good.

I modify heirloom guns for one reason, and that is to inter their owner in the gun.

Everyone in my family gets cremated, and then everyone left gets a part of the deceased to carry around with them.

With hunters of my family, I remove the butt-pad from THEIR rifle, hollow it out a little, then put a capsule of the owner's ashes in there and spray-foam it closed.

Keeps the owner with his/her gun for eternity.
Posted By: Nikl

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:36 PM

I don't mark my gun, but I do make a mark on my hunting vest. I hunt in a one deer state, and it's more of a way to brag to the others in my deer camp that never kill anything. wink

I also make marks on the inside of my misses. That's more of a motivator.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:38 PM

I cut a mark into my arm... as my ancestors did
Posted By: 30378

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:41 PM

Not sure how old a guy you are but if I had stated notching my gun at 15 by now the stock would look like a piece of fire wood and be the size of a broom stick. I don't think so!
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Tx_Phantom

I do the same thing.

Me too. I would never put a notch in a firearm, though.

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:49 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I like the idea of getting a leather cartridge cuff for my 30-30 and possible notching into that, or maybe even a brand of some kind.

This is also a really cool idea, I might do this as well.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 10:51 PM

blood has more meaning
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 11:43 PM

welcome ta THF, never notched any of my guns, they all got some carictor marks, engraved their name in a few used ta have couple of claypigons was very proud of showimg some shooting skills, usedta. flag

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/05/13 11:48 PM

I have partially changed my mind, if you want to notch one of those "plastic" Mattel stocks you can have at it. As ugly as they are a few notches might actually help their appearance. But never a nice wood stock.
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 12:59 AM

Nope! Never have & never will......

Wear scratches yes, notches - never!
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 01:34 AM

Nope, first it hit me a little wrong but after your explanation I get it. As for deer I tend to save the Antlers of the hunts that are really special. They are lined up on a wall in the man cave. So many times just standing in there and remembering the good times with each.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line
I don't think I'd notch my gun but we do write date, time, name, buck or doe and how many points in the deer blind.

thats what we do also

Now when I used to be a hired gunfighter I would put a notch on the old six shooter for every gun fight I won but I am now retired. bolt
Posted By: furdown

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 03:43 AM

One of my favorite stocks I have ever seen was a mcmillan return stock off of a m40a1 that had been notched. Sure wish I could have bought that sucker.

But as for notching one, yea dont see anything wrong with it. I have done it
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 04:12 AM

No.
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 04:17 AM

I should post a pic of my Remington 700 BDL .243 with original wood stock.....it looks like it has been dropped, punted, passed and thrashed.......my guns are for hunting, not collecting. Guns are physical possessions, remembrance is in your heart/soul. So, I now have mostly synthetic stocks. I see nothing wrong with notching your stock to remember each hunt. Don't think it would work well on my synthetics though.

For the record, I clean and take the utmost care of my guns, I just hunt hard and they show it on the outside.
Posted By: mike a

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 07:20 AM

Originally Posted By: landsurveyor
Personally I think it is pretty cool and doesn't degrade the animal or the weapon one bit. IMO it would make a great gun to pass down. My Great Grandfather had a double barrel 12ga shot gun that he hunted the woods of East Texas with and it had notches on the stock from his deer kills. I wanted that thing so bad groing up and you are correct in the memories. He told me the stories of every one. He is passed on and the youngest boy of eight boys (my uncle) has that shotgun now and will pass it to one of his boys I'm sure. I say do it and give it to your son or daughter some day. 2cents

I only buy guns, I NEVER SELL. When I buy, they are going to be handed down to my kids and grandkids. If you feel the same way, then do with them what you wish. If my dad had marked his and told me the story, it would take an army to take it from my me......

But if you are a buyer and seller of your firearms then do not mark them up. What's a thousand bucks over a lifetime? Not much.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 09:18 AM

I notch my banjo.
Posted By: troutmauler

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 01:50 PM

We would do this on a shotgun that we used to kill snakes, that is until it got stolen!
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 03:04 PM

I notched my bb gun as a kid, but never any deer rifles.
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

That might make my grand kids know that I really didn't kill hundreds of deer during my lifetime.

partyon555

Just say you didn't start keeping count until after 100.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 05:14 PM

I notched my .22 that has a wooden stock.
Posted By: DCS

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 05:44 PM

Instead of notching your rifle why not do what we do and save the case from the round that killed the animal and display them in a case.

This is what we have been doing. I wished we would have put the date and the name of the hunter on the case.

Posted By: tth_40

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: aeb
I notch my banjo.

And well you should. up

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/06/13 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tth_40
Originally Posted By: aeb
I notch my banjo.

And well you should. up

X2
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 02:24 AM

I wouldnt have a stock left...keep the casing, write date on it, the head, the arrow....Keep a log, notch the stand its shot from with date....
Posted By: Mickey Moose

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 02:46 AM

Historically I have kept the empty shell along with an index card containing details... date, animal, location, gun (since I have multiple guns of the same caliber), who I was with, weather, blah, blah... in modern times I now keep the info in a spreadsheet and simply stuff a piece of paper in the shell that has a number corresponding to the spreadsheet info.

-Mickey

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Historically I have kept the empty shell along with an index card containing details... date, animal, location, gun (since I have multiple guns of the same caliber), who I was with, weather, blah, blah... in modern times I now keep the info in a spreadsheet and simply stuff a piece of paper in the shell that has a number corresponding to the spreadsheet info.

-Mickey

I like this idea a lot, thanks for all the ideas everyone.

Originally Posted By: DCS

This shelf is awesome by the way!
Posted By: Loden

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 03:34 AM

When I was growing up my dad, uncle, and I had a bench made of 2x6's at our camp we used to sit around the fire. The bench was divided into 3 sections (one for each of us) which we notched with our kills. I also notched the edges of my first skinning knife, but have never notched a rifle. I have had a few guns handed down which were notched, and it just gives a little character to an old heirloom IMHO. Usually makes for good conversation.
Posted By: clharr

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 03:41 AM

I keep and mark shell casings and mark certain rifles with a sharpie. I do it as a sign of respect and remembrance, same as pictures.
Posted By: toolman

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 05:42 AM

The sentiment is great, but it ruins the beauty and value of the gun, which may be needed if a family member has to sell the weapon in an emergency. This is of no consequence if the gun belonged to someone like Billy The Kid, Buffalo Bill, etc. with notches equaling men killed. At the end of the day, it's your gun, do with it as you will.
FWIW, my favorite gun is my old Marlin 39A that my dad gave me when I turned 10. I came as close to killing someone as I think I possibly could over a material possession, when I loaned it to a "friend" who then proceeded to pawn it, and then refinished it before I got it back. the only reason I even got it back was, his wife discovered the pawn ticket in her car a few days after he borrowed it.
Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 05:57 AM

In 1957 my grandpa gave me a iver Johnson model x safety 22. The stock had a dark walnut stain, I took the stock to shop class to sand down and refinish, I discovered 13 notches on the stock. I asked my grandpa what the were and he said he had killed 13 skunks, still have it today with a clear varnish and it will belong to my grand kids soon.
Ol' 22 $100 bucks --13 notches priceless
Posted By: bg75074

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 01:56 PM

Yep
Posted By: mreed

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 02:56 PM

I notched my sling shot for awhile but had to quit, with as many birds and squirrels as I killed I was just whittling the sucker down

peep
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 03:35 PM

I would have had to buy several new stocks for all my rifles if I notched them for all the deer I killed with them.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 04:17 PM

Instead of notching your rifle why not do what we do and save the case from the round that killed the animal and display them in a case.

This is what we have been doing. I wished we would have put the date and the name of the hunter on the case.

Thats the way the deer stands look at my place. We glue them above the window and leave the casing then write a little desription under each one. On the 2x4 above the window.

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/07/13 09:16 PM

I used to etch the brass with the date and the animal killed. They stayed in a junk box for years, and some how they got thrown away. When I realized what had happened I quit doing the etching.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/08/13 12:44 AM

I just take a picture and post it on the THF, it will be there forever.
Posted By: Salival462

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/08/13 01:14 AM

I definitely wouldnt notch my gun. I would keep the casings or write it down with details of the momment. I love my guns to much to damage them on purpose.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/08/13 02:32 AM

I would make a beaver jealous.
Posted By: Cannon

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/08/13 04:08 AM

No notches in gun or bed post. Just some things I see no reason to share.
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/13/13 01:20 PM

Nope, I get rid of firearms that don't perform well and take really good care of my others. When it comes time to harvest your hunt is over, it should just be mechanics. Photo's work for memories
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/13/13 01:56 PM

Don't disfigure your firearm. Just take a photo with your camera to archive the hunt.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/13/13 02:00 PM

Hey Y'all,

Just curious if anyone puts notches on their rifle. I am considering doing it if/when I take some deer this season. I bought a new Henry 30-30 and I think it would look pretty awesome with some notches in it. At the same time, I am sure it hurts the value of it.

Just a thought, let me know if y'all do this or have any other cool traditions after taking wild game.

Nope
Posted By: conifer

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/13/13 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
Hey Y'all,

Nope

NOPE (X2)
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/13/13 02:09 PM

No, but I have close to 300 notches on my shooting sticks from all the coyotes I've killed off them.
Posted By: danmac

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/18/13 05:47 AM

I keep a small journal about my hunts and kills. It nice to look back and read how it went 10 or 15 years ago. I would never damage my gun intentionally.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/18/13 03:11 PM

No. Pictures go into my hunting photo album.
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/18/13 05:01 PM

So far, I have only killed two doe and a few birds. I have 5x7 pictures of the two doe in my room and plan to add to it and eventually make a whole wall of em. Okay maybe a whole door. And I write when and where I took them on the pictures.
Posted By: FreerOrBust

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/18/13 05:04 PM

Wouldn't have a stock left... jk lol too pretty to cut into
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/18/13 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Chadillac
I have thought about putting notches on my gun but haven't done it. Instead, I think I will start keeping a log of each animal harvested with a story of that hunting trip. Might even write stories of my unsuccessful hunts. I can hand that down with my gun. Maybe one day someone can show the writing of their great grand dad, grand dad, and dad's hunting experiences.

When I was about 17 I took a spiral notebook and made a page for each deer I had taken up to that time. Date, time, weather, who with, and a brief story of each hunt. Think it had 8-10 stories in it. Then I stopped. Now the memories have faded/run together a bit. I would love to have that little notebook today but it has been lost somewhere along the way.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/18/13 07:36 PM

I don't and probably wouldn't BUT if it's a gun you plan to keep and pass down someday it might be kinda cool.
I know if I had inherited a gun that was notched, it would be cool to me and if I was buying an older gun, notches wouldn't bother me.
Posted By: cuthand1

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/22/13 03:14 AM

I see nothing wrong with notching your rifle. Like you said its not about disgracing the animal but its about awakening the memories while your sitting in the blind rubbing the stock and thinking about the animal that represents the notch. I bow hunt alot and on my back quiver I have leather shoe strings hanging of of it. Every time I kill a big game animal I put a knot in the string. Same as notching! I also retire the arrow with broadhead to a plack on the wall made of barnwood with the discription of the animal killed and discription of shot, where animal was killed etc. written on the arrow with a sharpy pen. Its fun to go read one from ten years ago and remmeber times that are forgotten until something triggers your soul!
Posted By: maximum

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/22/13 03:28 AM

wouldn't intentionally cut on
my firearm, but i had thought
about a brass inlay where i
could have a professional
engraver put a mark and date.
i forgot about it though, because
a memory like that wouldn't mean
anything to anyone else but me.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/22/13 12:54 PM

bs peep
Posted By: Fat Tire

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/22/13 04:23 PM

A friend of mine has a knife that he got in Germany years ago. He always uses that knife to field dress his deer. He puts a notch in the leather sheath for each one.
Posted By: Junior Samples

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/22/13 05:59 PM

So true, So true gentlemen. I have enough memories from scars on me by getting scratched, poked, cut, stung & burnt & banged up in the field, I have living record of living with gun & bow in hand. Not at the same time of course.
js
Posted By: Bonner

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/23/13 01:14 AM

No way. But we do keep every shell casing in the stand the deer was shot out of. after about 8 years it is kinda cool to see.
Posted By: LinkATX

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/23/13 03:10 AM

Save the shell with date/time/distance.
Posted By: gonefishing-2day

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/23/13 07:20 PM

Hey Y'all,

Cheap.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/24/13 01:27 AM

Before I was 10 years old I was given an old wood stock and worn marlin model 60 that would accompany me on treks thru the central Texas woods and creek bottoms in pursuit of squirrels, rabbits, and various birds. Not long after being gifted that old .22, I decided I would carve a small knotch, rounded divets about the size of a ball point pen tip, for any mammals I killed. This lasted awhile until interest and tradition waned in this practice, but I had successfully gnarled up that old stock from buttplate to pistol grip over time. Though quite foolish in practice, things like this are nostalgic of simpler times and a youthful amazement and appreciation for the wonders of the outdoors.
Posted By: Fishercounty

Re: Anyone Notch Their Rifle For Each Animal Killed? - 11/25/13 04:22 AM

Texas Red had notches that numbered one and nineteen more, but the ranger with the big iron on his hip put an end to that.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum