Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting from a private roadway

Posted By: gunslinger922

Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:30 AM

A buddy of mine lives within a 700 acre high fence gated entry ranch which has been broken up into 28-60 acre ranchettes. He is wanting to meat hunt for an Axis. Hard to find them during daylight hours but they are abundant after dark, particularly feeding within 40 yards of the main private rod in the ranch.
My question is, Do the prohibitions about shooting from or across a roadway apply in this situation? Also, assumining hunting from the road is legal, how about shooting from the vehicle. Once again, this is a " put delicious Axix in the freezer" outing, so not interested in the whole " ethics" thing
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:34 AM

Wait till they are on his land and get the one-eyed dog(spotlight) out and kill one. Hunting exotics at night is legal.

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 04:00 AM

Assuming he has permission to hunt other parcels, is the road hunting legal? The Axix rarely make it to his property usually yay down in the lower flats

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 04:05 AM

Put some alfalfa hay out on his property where the wind blows the smell to them. They will come to alfalfa hay. Do not know how those roads are classed. Does the county maintain them or does a school bus use them as a route?

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 12:45 PM

No to both the county maintenance and school bus

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 12:54 PM

Then it would seem to me that it would only be illegal if it was in the deed restrictions. I would not think it would be a safe practice though if people walk those road.
Posted By: trjscout

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 12:58 PM

If I had property there and you came by with the gun out the window shooting my direction we would have a problem !! if you shoot them on your property no problem!! they might be hanging around a certain spot cause the landowner put some work into it (alfalfa)etc.

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:01 PM

I can appreciate the concern. The ranch is owned mostly by absentee owners with no improvements on the property. Obviously safety is paramount and always consider the backdrop. Was mostly concerned about the legality issues
Thanks for everyone's comments
Posted By: Closed Traverse

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:03 PM

sounds legal to me.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:04 PM

I am going to bet there are some covenants and deed restrictions that cover this issue.

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:33 PM

Let look at this way. Would you or your buddy have problem with someone shooting across the road to his property?
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:39 PM

Swerve & hit one

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/23/13 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
Swerve & accidently hit one

FIFY
Posted By: coreybasshunter

Re: Hunting from a private roadway - 10/24/13 12:15 AM

It's legal if its a private( absolutely private rd)

I very seriously doubt there are restrictions if the whole ranch is owned by One owner .And if there were restrictions that would be handled by the owner.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum