Texas Hunting Forum

Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE

Posted By: BlackSnake

Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:31 AM

There was a thread floating around last week about if you need snake boots in Throckmorton and I made a comment or two in it. Well, my snake boots saved me a second time now from being snake bit. 1st time was while out dove hunting 7/8 years ago from a Copperhead. Well this Saturday opening morning I almost got to my bow stand when I stepped on a Rattler. I didnt have my flash light out cause there was a decient light from the moon. As soon as I stepped on him, he rattled a bit and as I lunged foward, the snake either struck or I kicked it, or both. Not really sure.
Do I believe in wearing snake boots? 100% I have 2 pair. One pair that I keep here at the house, and a pair I leave at the lease.
Posted By: General Guts

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:37 AM

Amazing how many people don't wear them......Everyone should wear protection.
Posted By: Metal Man

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:40 AM

shoot , I had a snake in the bed of the truck last week. bolt
Posted By: ParkCountyElkDestroyer

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:42 AM

I love my Chippewas. I will be buried in those boots if I have my way.
Posted By: janie

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:43 AM

Glad your okay. We wear them religiously.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:43 AM

Yikes! Glad you were wearing them! I just bought a new pair of Justin's. Need a pair for the ranch and for the house

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:51 AM

There seems to be an abundance of Rattlers the last two years. I have been buzzed 6 times this year alone, and I have put two of them in a frying pan the last 2 weeks, one having 13 buttons. I only eat the big ones. Too much trouble to mess with the smaller snakes.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 12:58 AM

You will never find me out without mine...
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
You will never find me out without mine...

X2
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 03:19 AM

The one time I've had a close call was the only time I didn't have them on and you bet I will never not have them again
Posted By: HOF

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 04:16 AM

Never wore a pair in 50 years. Had several close calls, but I have been lucky.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 03:19 PM

Got a pair for Christmas. Haven't see a snake since. Go figure.
Posted By: Nathan Nelson

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 03:43 PM

I have been struck 3 times, 2 times on the same day by 2 different rattlesnakes and the other time by a water moccasin wearing rubber boots.
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 03:48 PM

I haven't had any close calls with snakes but I wear snake boots just in case!!! You just never know!!!
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 03:52 PM

I stopped by the Justin store in Justin, TX a few weeks ago and got ALL members of my hunting party snake boots. I needed a new pair, and my hunting party's had too many close calls over the years, so I took it upon myself to get everyone a pair.

Definitely can't beat the price at the Justin store. They are factory imperfects, fraction of the price.

Usually 200-250.... they're all $67.50

.... snagged the snazzy moc-toe rear-zippers for myself....
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 03:54 PM

Being a land surveyor, I have had many encounters with all types of snakes. Never been struck at but I stepped on rattles in thick weeds which I am guessing is the only reason they didn't strike. I looked under a patch of salt grass after encountering one the day before just to see if it was still there. When I bent over, it was in striking stance and looking right at my face. That was one of the few I had to get rid of b/c it was in our working area, a hazard to the crew and I don't know how to properly handle them. All others I have let them go about there business.
Posted By: bkj

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 03:54 PM

I wear them!!!!
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 04:03 PM

I remember the thread you are referring too and still surprised someone would say they are a gimmick. I grew up catching and handling snakes and hunting areas that they are very common. I don't know why someone wouldn't wear them.

Glad you had them on. Be safe up
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 05:30 PM

Those black boots look like girl boots.
Posted By: sportsman

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
Got a pair for Christmas. Haven't see a snake since. Go figure.

That is probably because your not as worried and always looking for them now up
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Chadillac
Those black boots look like girl boots.

Same as regular chip-snakes, but in all-leather.

I thought they looked more like a riding-boot (equestrian).
Posted By: KG68

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Nathan Nelson
I have been struck 3 times, 2 times on the same day by 2 different rattlesnakes and the other time by a water moccasin wearing rubber boots.

I'm still trying to picture a water moccasin with rubber boots on. scratch
Posted By: splash556

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 09/30/13 11:52 PM

I've never used them. 50+ years. I do try and watch where I'm stepping though.
Posted By: 71Rcode

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/01/13 12:08 AM

Me either ... food for thought, though.
Posted By: Wburke2010

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/01/13 12:28 AM

I came close this weekend to getting bit by a copperhead. Just got done taking a pee and continued to walk down one of my trails and in mid stride looked down and there was about a three foot long copperhead between my feet....

He got to live another day because I high tailed it out of there while almost having a heart attack.

Walter
Posted By: okierifleman

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/01/13 01:53 AM

Don't go out in the woods without mine
Posted By: jlbain94

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/01/13 03:27 AM

Thinking about getting a pair. Only had one close call that my friend saved me from by shoving me out of the way. Biggest cottonmouth Ive ever seen too.
Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/01/13 04:03 AM

Had a 4+ foot rattler coiled in full strike position about a foot from me earlier this year, he buzzed wife saw him screamed and jumped, I followed her into the air cane down several feet away pulled the Judge out and made a good snake out of him. Going to make a nice hatband, 11 rattles. Of course one of the few times I didn't have my snake boots on...
Posted By: target1911

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/01/13 06:56 AM

I went to the lease and forgot mine. I was a nervous wreck all weekend. I got home and bought a second pair to leave out there.

I have not had a run in with a snake since I started wearing them. I will say that when I do wear them I is a huge relief on the nerves. Now I can look around for the wildlife and at the ground for snakes....unless I am going up or down an embankment or something where the snakes will not just be at your lower legs.
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/01/13 02:36 PM

I always wear mine. While we're on the subject, ya'll be careful where you sit and put you hands. Closest I ever was to getting bit was reaching down to pick up a dove I'd shot and there was a copperhead next to the dove.

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/03/13 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: splash556
I've never used them. 50+ years. I do try and watch where I'm stepping though.

Had one 6/8 weeks ago rattle at me several times before I could spot him. Finally saw him about 3 feet in front of me coiled up in the sand. Had another buzz me the same day with a continous buzz that I never saw. I know he was close, and I suspected he was in a cactus next to me, but never the less, I coulnt find him even after jumping to the clear.

Watch as you will, but those suckers blend in like no other.
Posted By: Ratrod101

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/03/13 04:58 PM

Having been bit in the lower calf by a copperhead and spending some time in the hospital, I can tell you that myself and the kids wont step foot in the woods/fields w/o them on.....sucks that the kids outgrow them so fast but not sure I could justify NOT buying them boots while they are in the hospital getting the anti-venom trmt.

But growing up, I never wore them....and never came close to seeing one...of course, I wasn't really looking for them either.
Posted By: JRPurvis

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/08/13 07:51 PM

I just can't see that they are worth the expense, and don't plan to ever buy them. Seeing a venomous snake in the wild happens so rarely that it is never even a concern to me. I've seen a total of three in my life while out in the woods hunting or working. My yard is a different matter - almost stepped on three just this year while closing up the chicken coop at night. I now make sure and carry a flashlight while walking through the yard at night, but will check out the hog trap in the back pasture wearing shorts and sandals without a second thought.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/08/13 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
I remember the thread you are referring too and still surprised someone would say they are a gimmick. I grew up catching and handling snakes and hunting areas that they are very common. I don't know why someone wouldn't wear them.

Glad you had them on. Be safe up

Given your height, I could see Chippewa chest waders working best for you. grin
Posted By: kry226

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/08/13 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: JRPurvis
I just can't see that they are worth the expense, and don't plan to ever buy them. Seeing a venomous snake in the wild happens so rarely that it is never even a concern to me. I've seen a total of three in my life while out in the woods hunting or working. My yard is a different matter - almost stepped on three just this year while closing up the chicken coop at night. I now make sure and carry a flashlight while walking through the yard at night, but will check out the hog trap in the back pasture wearing shorts and sandals without a second thought.

I'll go on record and suggest that the exreme pain, tissue loss, and $100,000 medical bill might just change your mind about a $200 pair of boots.

Call me crazy...
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/08/13 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: JRPurvis

I saw three rattlers at the lease just last weekend. Guess it depends where you are.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/08/13 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Ratrod101
I can tell you that myself and the kids wont step foot in the woods/fields w/o them on.....sucks that the kids outgrow them so fast

From age 8 to 16 I would buy the chaps for the kids. They cost less and will last through several growth spurts. From age 10 to 14 boots sizes can change by four sizes in some boys but their calves don't develop nearly as fast. Having a handful of knotheads you have some hand-me-downs that helps a lot. up
Posted By: rmneal

Re: Snake Boots have now saved me TWICE - 10/09/13 02:14 PM

I really like my open toe summer time snake boots. They are extremely light weight which is important for lightning-fast stomps to the snakes head. The open-toe area allows me to guillotine the bastidge with my toe nail.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum