Texas Hunting Forum

Aggravated at new hunters on lease

Posted By: rofd1374

Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 10:57 PM

So we have a lot of new hunters on the lease this year great group of guys I've known for a long time . Thing is yesterday one of them and his son showed up in camp an decided to start shooting multiple rounds from a pistol while the only 2 of us that do bow hunt were hunting in our areas . We were almost done hunting when they started so we went to camp and told them we were hunting and that all the shooting was uncalled for during bow season . The father and son apologized . Now after today's hunt of not seeing anything move where yesterday we saw plenty until the shooting spree took place I come home to see on Facebook a picture Of another hunters son holding a shotgun and a rabbit clearly at out deer lease. I guess they came down after I left for the day today . Am I blowing this out of proportion or should I not worry. What or how should this be handled
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 10:59 PM

Shooting never really bothered deer hunting IME...the loud talking or riding around did more than shooting.
Posted By: booger

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:00 PM

Settle down Francis.... Why does bow hunting supersede everything?

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:07 PM

Lol I'm just getting others opinions . It does aggravate me little being I'm trying to hunt and sounds like war zone but again my area is close to camp . So there's pros and cons to it I guess
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:07 PM

IMO, you are blowing things out of proportion unless the trend continues every time you're out there through archery season.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:14 PM

That's kinda what I'm thinking bein one none of them never bow hunt and not use to having bow hunters on their leases in past . Plus this is only first weekend so I'm not saying nothing to them but if it continues every time were trying to hunt then maybe something needs to be said but in nice way of course this way no problems arise
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:15 PM

My rules are real simple, if you are not deer hunting, you are to stay in camp or working in your area. No 4 wheelers, no shooting, no horseplay. Break a rule you might be shown the front gate, but whizz on my parade and you won't be back.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:23 PM

Thanks for the opinions
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:42 PM

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the shooting noise. I would be more concerned about which direction they are shooting and what their backstop is. The gunshots probably bother the hunters more than the deer.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:48 PM

Ok thanks
Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:48 PM

Heaven forbid people have fun at a place they spend alot of money to have fun.
Posted By: r_u_sharp_2

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:54 PM

If there are rules against it, then it is cut and dry. I dont care if they piad an arm and a leg to be on the lease, they agreed to the same rules I did. That is why there are rules.

I was at our lease a few weeks back and watched a guys kids ride the 4 wheeler up and down and all around peoples areas rfrom 3-5. No issue with, but this Saturday the lease manager put a stop to it quickly as there are rules about it during deer season.
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/29/13 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
My rules are real simple, if you are not deer hunting, you are to stay in camp or working in your area. No 4 wheelers, no shooting, no horseplay. Break a rule you might be shown the front gate, but whizz on my parade and you won't be back.

DC I think we might get along. That is if you weren't a Democrap. Can't believe you would be so unFAIR on your lease. I don't understand why you don't let them do what they want. Don't want to hurt their feelings
Posted By: ACKHNTR

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 12:14 AM

I wouldn't like it. Dad should have a little more respect and common sense.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 12:18 AM

You asked for opinions so I'll give you mine.

Bow hunters can be the worse for thinking that because they have an early start, the woods should belong to them and no one else. To them, it means no one should squirrel hunt or do anything that might somehow interfere with the woods being totally their own. No one should be filling feeders, creating food plots, mowing, or anything else that might mess up their hunt.

Now, having said that, I agree with you to a point. Deer camp should not be a place for shooting practice when gun ranges are available. It's as much a matter of safety as it is showing respect for landowners. After all, would you feel safe while hearing someone busting a lot of caps around your home? Still, just because you have a head start before others, that doesn't give you the right to tell everyone around you to stop what they're doing. Gun hunters face the noise that goes with shots being fired all the time. So what makes you so special?
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 12:22 AM

I have never met a single person that has said they wanted people to go target shooting by there blind during deer season.
Or welcomed kids to go four wheeling by blinds and chasing rabbits around feeders before or during a hunt.
It is a shame that you have to make rules to teach adults common courtesy.
Posted By: n-all

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 12:42 AM

Id be pissed too...
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 12:53 AM

I would be frustrated as well. Common courtesy seems to not exist in some people.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 01:00 AM

People don't like rules on the deer lease, but they sure can come in handy.
Posted By: Sniper John

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:04 AM

Depends on the rules for your lease. During bow season on our lease we hunt hogs with rifles. We hunt squirrel, dove, and rabbits with shotguns, and sight in rifles on the gun range by camp. I hear more shots across the borders than I do on our place. I am the only bowhunter on the lease. I have never had a problem. I have seen deer flinch and look up when there is a distant shot, but they just go back to what they were doing. I personally would pat the kid on the back and congratulate him on the rabbit and thank the dad for getting his son out there. But then again, it depends on the rules. If they signed a lease contract and were handed a set of rules that says no firearms shooting during bow season, then you have something. If you don't, you probably need to have a group round table meeting of lease members the first time y'all are all down there and come up with a set of rules. Careful though, if your bowhunters are outnumbered like I am, you may be the one that sounds unreasonable and lacking common courtesy to the majority. When one is looking for a lease they should find one with rules that relate to the way they want to hunt. If one finds and starts their own lease and then fill the lease manager role, cards on the table, your rules should be clear to members before they sign on.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:06 AM

The rules on my lease are....well I make all the rules.

This is why I paid a little extra and took the whole lease to myself. I control who comes on and when they are there.

One of the problems with leasing is you don't control everything (even I can not control what the land owner does with his cows) but that allows us to hunt cheaper than if we owned. It's the price we pay for getting for what ends up being a bargain use of land.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:08 AM

Rules plain and simple, elect a camp manager, everyone signs the rules, if says don't then don't. No one says you can't have fun, but fun can mean diff. things to diff. people. Rules can save friendships when it comes to leases.
Posted By: gollygee

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:10 AM

Pretty simple on my lease: no bow hunting.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

This is why I paid a little extra and took the whole lease to myself. I control who comes on and when they are there.

Originally Posted By: Sniper John
If one finds and starts their own lease and then fill the lease manager role, cards on the table, your rules should be clear to members before they sign on.

Did you make up a contract or list of rules for members BEFORE they got on the lease that includes no firearms, or are you making the rules up for them as you go. If rofd1374 is just verbally making them up, or assuming they know what he expects, he probably needs to give them a written set of guidelines they can refer to. Otherwise he is destined for a miserable season butting heads with all the new guys and their kids.
Posted By: GristleHead

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: gollygee

Amen and two thumbs up! banana
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:53 AM

Common sense should prevail....set up some rules them make sure everyone understands. Some folks just need to be told.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:01 AM

Some of y'all are pretty tough. IMO, common courtesy should be given. For the rifle only hunters, would you care if people were shooting near your stand during prime hunting time?

I don't care what season it is, if you don't want it to happen while you are in your stand, don't do it while someone else is in theirs.

We are lucky to have a fairly large ranch. We allow dove hunting when the seasons overlap with deer, but deer hunters have priority and dove hunters have to work around them. We have a gravel pit set up for target practice. No need to be shooting, just to shoot on the rest of the ranch, especially during prime hunting time.

Some get on a lease to play, others get on a lease to actually hunt.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:14 AM

[
Originally Posted By: txshntr
.....if people were shooting near your stand.....

Originally Posted By: rofd1374
picture Of another hunters son holding a shotgun and a rabbit clearly at out deer lease. I guess they came down after I left for the day

He was not even there when the rabbit was shot by the second kid. And I think he said the other kid shooting a pistol with his father took place in camp, not near his stand.. confused2 Still I agree with you if it is that kind of lease. But on a family type lease where you have new members who don't bowhunt and you know they are going to bring their kids to the lease and then no one communicates rules or there are no rules, I think a kid spending time shooting with his father in camp and another father letting his kid shoot a rabbit when no one else is there are fairly predictable events.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:25 AM

[
Originally Posted By: txshntr
.....if people were shooting near your stand.....

Originally Posted By: rofd1374
picture Of another hunters son holding a shotgun and a rabbit clearly at out deer lease. I guess they came down after I left for the day

He was not even there when the rabbit was shot by the second kid. And I think he said the other kid shooting a pistol with his father took place in camp, not near his stand.. confused2 Still I agree with you if it is that kind of lease. But on a family type lease where you have new members who don't bowhunt and you know they are going to bring their kids to the lease and then no one communicates rules or there are no rules, I think a kid spending time shooting with his father in camp and another father letting his kid shoot a rabbit when no one else is there are fairly predictable events.

I agree. If no one is there, the shooting wouldn't bother me. Our place is a family friendly place and there are guys (including me) that have spotlighted rabbits at night during hunting season.

If there are no rules about it, and no one was there, I don't see one thing wrong with the rabbit being shot.

As far as shooting in camp, we really don't want loaded guns and target practice in camp. To much risk, that is why we have a designated spot they can shoot all they want.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:46 AM

On our lease for safety we made a designated spot for sighting in rifles. It is a 100 yard range with a covered bench and stool and a target stand. The covered bench is on the side of camp where we all know if anyone is shooting. Most gun ranges have a clubhouse no farther away than our range is from my camper.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:50 AM

On our lease for safety we made a designated spot for sighting in rifles. It is a 100 yard range with a covered bench and stool and a target stand. The covered bench is on the side of camp where we all know if anyone is shooting. Most gun ranges have a clubhouse no farther away than our range is from my camper.

It isn't the noise we worry about. At times, we have kids of all ages that can be running around or on 4 wheelers. Just assume the gun fire be away since kids aren't always aware of their surroundings.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 04:02 AM

Our lease rules only allow 4 wheelers on designated roads and roads to stands. No running around off road. This is the landowner's rule. but I could see this post as being about two kids riding atvs around the lease while someone is bowhunting too. It boils down to common sense. Set rules whatever they may be that everyone knows before they sign on or that everyone agrees to for safety and courtesy to others. Otherwise situations like presented by the poster will happen every time with both sides thinking the other is being unreasonable.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 04:04 AM

Our lease rules only allow 4 wheelers on designated roads and roads to stands. No running around off road. This is the landowner's rule. but I could see this post as being about two kids riding atvs around the lease while someone is bowhunting too. It boils down to common sense. Set rules whatever they may be that everyone knows before they sign on or that everyone agrees to for safety and courtesy to others. Otherwise situations like presented by the poster will happen every time with both sides thinking the other is being unreasonable.

cheers Written rules go along way. I think it is important for all parties to be aware of the expectations so there aren't any surprises.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 04:09 AM

Ok, we had this nice fun dialog. I am curious now. How about the background on the lease rofd1374. Written rules? Anything about shooting during bow season? Or is the question based entirely on assumed courtesy?
Posted By: 1FowlHntR

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 04:21 AM

My stand at my inlaws is less than a kilometer away as the crow flies. we shoot guns and all kinds of nonsense and I still have deer coming to my feeder while they are shooting. Deer get used to it as long as they are not pressured at YOUR area. you might even create a little safe haven for them by not rifle hunting and blasting in you area.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 09:41 AM

Thanks guys I was just wanting everyone's thoughts and we have rules an everyone signs etc . And yet there is nothing that states no gun firing once bow season starts . But never in the past have we had a problem being common curtisty of ones hunting . But we do have all new set of guys on lease and maybe if we feel it's goin to be a problem maybe it needs to be in written rules in future . If all agreed on. I know now hunters shouldn't have more say so I agree . But again it's common curtisty that rifle hunter wouldn't want someone blasting away while they are hunting so should be same as while bow hunting. Again I see and agree with alots of what y'all are saying .
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 12:21 PM

I'd be frustrated, but I'd ask if they were given a rules sheet ahead of time stating that what they did was impermissible.

If they weren't, I have a hard time blaming a father for letting his son shoot rabbits, squirrels, etc.

And as far as scaring the deer, one of my neighbors used to intentionally shoot his pistol during bow season to piss me off. My place was a long, narrow tract, so it was pretty close as the crow flies. I had bucks eating at my bow stand while the shooting was going on once and they didn't even flinch.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 01:33 PM

It was inconsiderate but I wouldn't hold it against them too long. I think it's distasteful people think the deer lease is a gun range anyhow. Sight in and play with your guns at a range. Most deer leases are not set up to have a good safe back stop or means to keep firing lanes clear of people or vehicles either. All around it's just not a good thing IMHO.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 01:47 PM

Depends a lot on the size of the lease. Either way, they probably be shooting while other members are in the field hunting. For safety sake anyway. Never know when someone's ATV or truck wouldn't start and they have to walk into camp while someone is blasting away. Might not be safe.

Maybe encourage members to save target shooting and plinking for mid-day when everyone is out of the field.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:11 PM

Jaw-jaw is better than war-war. If the bowhunters calmly request that the shooting be suspended during archery season, I believe 99% of all lease members will voluntarily stop shooting....as a matter of courtesy and respect, even if they don't necessarily agree.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Most of us don't need written rules just to enforce something that should be innate in the fiber of our being.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:19 PM

I don't think not letting a little boy shoot a squirrel is "innate in the fiber of our being".

Quite the contrary, actually.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:32 PM

As most have said, depends on the rules. I can see both sides as I was a kid once too but I like peace and quiet while deer hunting.

I have my own place. I bring friends hunting all the time. Their kids are welcome during the off season to hog hunt, shoot, ride 4 wheelers, whatever.
But after a few instances like you describe I don't allow kids during bow season at all or until after Thanksgiving during rifle season. Again, I like peace and quiet.....
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:35 PM

texas
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Jaw-jaw is better than war-war. If the bowhunters calmly request that the shooting be suspended during archery season, I believe 99% of all lease members will voluntarily stop shooting....as a matter of courtesy and respect, even if they don't necessarily agree.

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." Most of us don't need written rules just to enforce something that should be innate in the fiber of our being.

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I don't think not letting a little boy shoot a squirrel is "innate in the fiber of our being".

Quite the contrary, actually.

I think your analogy is flawed!

"Do unto others"......hasn't got a thing to do with whether a little boy gets to shoot a squirrel. One cannot forget the "...as you would have them do unto you" part. There's a time & place for everything and kids should be taught accordingly, even if it means saying "no" or "not now" occasionaly. I'm not currently hunting with a bow but if I was I'd be a little upset at the situation. In our case we don't shoot firearms during bow season if someone is hunting and we don't target practice during optimal hunting hours.

IMHO A knowlegeable parent & hunter who practices the "golden rule" should not even think about allowing his kids to shoot anything during bow season on a private lease until he knows for sure there is no one hunting. He probably should've been there well before bow season or waited until gun season was open. Of course I would agree that he needs to know there are bow hunters on the lease, but then again if he were a conscientous hunter he would've or should've asked before letting it happen.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:49 PM

On our lease we all get along, and don't have rules other than what the land owner has stated.
It's a good lease and a pleasure to go there and do what we want, but then again we are courteous to one another.
Sounds like I would be very unhappy hunting on most leases already mentioned.
Posted By: ChadTRG42

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:52 PM

If you have established rules, then follow those rules. If you don't have rules established, then you may need to discuss them with the new hunters.

But, like stated, if people get on a lease where you can fire some 22's and some shotguns around camp, and then you want to prevent that, it might be too late to force those rules. I agree that I don't like activity in and around my hunting stands, also. In the past, we have stated that once bow season starts, casual shooting and ATV and cycles (around the lease) stops.
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 02:59 PM

I would be pissed. If I wasn't bow hunting and there were others out there then I wouldn't dare shoot a gun or leave the camp site other than to go home or the store. That's called common courtesy and I would appreciate and expect the same treatment.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:01 PM

As a general rule on a lease you should hold others in higher regard than you hold yourself. If everyone would think that way then there would be no problems. Also why it is best to have rules set up prior to hunting season.
Posted By: westtexaswatkins

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:04 PM

Hunting lease, others should respect those who are there to actually hunt. They wouldn't want you blasting away while they are in the blinds during the gun season so they shouldn't be doing it while you are bow hunting. A little common sense can go a long ways. I would have been upset too.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:19 PM

This also goes back to something I said early in the thread. If you are a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone bowhunts. If you not a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone does not bowhunt. If you don't have kids don't get on a lease where everyone else is bringing kids. If your an old guy, don't get on a lease with a bunch of young guys, and so on. If most on the lease don't bowhunt, the lone bowhunter telling the majority with kids that their kids have to stay in camp and not make any noise could be taken as discourteous to the kids. And people do tend to get very defensive when it concerns their kids. I would be tactful in how you present it, especially if there is only a couple bowhunters in the group. I know on my lease as the lone bowhunter if I tried to involk a rule of no shooting during bow season, after season I would probably be politely told my time on the lease was over. I enjoy my lease and enjoy who I hunt with, so I go with the majority and with our designated range safely in camp that is in a visibly open area with a safe backstop and not out in the hunting area, smart enough not to put up a bowstand in the areas we hunt small game and dove, and so no one shooting around my bowstand, it is not a problem anyway.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:26 PM

That's just not realistic if you hunt with guns as well as bows. I don't even like to leave stand until late in the morning if I have to drive by, or near, other locations to get back to camp. Courtesy goes a long way. Explaining to them may be enough. Shooting a rabbit or squirrel mid day may not seem much but in areas where deer are highly sensitive to human activity it could shut down movement during daylight hours.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:36 PM

I guess it depends on the size of the place, but we always shoot guns mid day and have never had an issue seeing deer in the evening hunts, even in the blinds closest to the camp.

Unless they were specifically told not to, I think a lot of you are missing the whole goal of taking the kids to the lease: getting them excited about the outdoors and hunting. Telling them not to sneeze for fear of scaring the animals isn't the way to go.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:38 PM

To further illustrate, one of the places I hunt, the shooting range actually has a blind on it. We'll shoot the guns in during the day and then hunt the exact same spot that evening. Can't think of a single instance of hunting that particular spot where we didn't see deer.

In fairness to the counterpoint, it is the hill country and the population is "real high".
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:44 PM

To further illustrate, one of the places I hunt, the shooting range actually has a blind on it. We'll shoot the guns in during the day and then hunt the exact same spot that evening. Can't think of a single instance of hunting that particular spot where we didn't see deer.

In fairness to the counterpoint, it is the hill country and the population is "real high".

The million dollar question......"what didn't you see after shooting all day???". Ever wonder why mature bucks can be nocturnal?

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 03:56 PM

Many hunters have seen the same thing. I have had deer show up at a pond where I was dove hunting. Deer do get used to activity and the report of a gun isn't always easy for them to locate. But activity and commotion is still going to effect deer movement and especially mature deer.

Some hunters are more protective of their areas and some take hunting more serious than others. Like John said, you should get on a place that you fit in with the other hunters.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: MarkE

The million dollar question......"what didn't you see after shooting all day???". Ever wonder why mature bucks can be nocturnal?

The deer taken there have been at the high end of those taken in the county, so I don't think the "you would have seen bigger" logic applies.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 04:45 PM

Every place is different. It's absolutely feasible that a kid shooting a squirrel with a shotgun screwed the original poster's chances or spooked a mature buck.

It's also completely feasible that it had no effect at all and this is just a projection of frustration in not shooting anything.

Agree with the the prevailing structure of the lease dictating behavior. If only one guy is bringing his kids and making noise, he's the exception and should be reprimanded. If there is only 1 bowhunter and the rest of the group all bring their kids out there to shoot squirrels, the bowhunter can probably pound sand.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 04:56 PM

Every place is different. It's absolutely feasible that a kid shooting a squirrel with a shotgun screwed the original poster's chances or spooked a mature buck.

It's also completely feasible that it had no effect at all and this is just a projection of frustration in not shooting anything.

Agree with the the prevailing structure of the lease dictating behavior. If only one guy is bringing his kids and making noise, he's the exception and should be reprimanded. If there is only 1 bowhunter and the rest of the group all bring their kids out there to shoot squirrels, the bowhunter can probably pound sand.

I agree with this. I have been on a place or two where the disdain for bowhunters bordered on hatred (much like Texas Dan's attitude). I understood the majority ruled though so I kept quiet.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 05:11 PM

That's about like our place we bought it to deer hunt. There is no joy riding no target shooting no spraying bullets around for fun. We are either hunting, filling feeders, running cams, fixing a fence feeder blind, or planting a food plot or we are not there.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 05:17 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

That's about like our place we bought it to deer hunt. There is no joy riding no target shooting no spraying bullets around for fun. We are either hunting, filling feeders, running cams, fixing a fence feeder blind, or planting a food plot or we are not there.

That's pretty much my place during deer season. I bought it to deer hunt so from Oct-Dec that's the priority.
Posted By: Chief Joe

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 05:24 PM

It's called a deer camp for a reason...
Posted By: Aggie Hunter '15

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 06:15 PM

I don't think it's much of an overreaction. It does affect hunting if it's close enough. There's plenty of time between morning & evening hunts for messing around. It's a respect thing
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 06:37 PM

On the lease that I manage it is understood that deer hunting trumps everything.
From the start of bow season until the end of rifle season there will be absolutely no target shooting what so ever.
My group of hunters a courteous and respectful therefore I have never had any issues.
IMO… If you have a lease that is year around there is nine months to do all of the target shooting you want before the start of deer season.
Simple… Be courteous and respectful of the deer hunters.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 06:46 PM

This also goes back to something I said early in the thread. If you are a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone bowhunts. If you not a bowhunter, look for a lease where everyone does not bowhunt. If you don't have kids don't get on a lease where everyone else is bringing kids. If your an old guy, don't get on a lease with a bunch of young guys, and so on. If most on the lease don't bowhunt, the lone bowhunter telling the majority with kids that their kids have to stay in camp and not make any noise could be taken as discourteous to the kids. And people do tend to get very defensive when it concerns their kids. I would be tactful in how you present it, especially if there is only a couple bowhunters in the group. I know on my lease as the lone bowhunter if I tried to involk a rule of no shooting during bow season, after season I would probably be politely told my time on the lease was over. I enjoy my lease and enjoy who I hunt with, so I go with the majority and with our designated range safely in camp that is in a visibly open area with a safe backstop and not out in the hunting area, smart enough not to put up a bowstand in the areas we hunt small game and dove, and so no one shooting around my bowstand, it is not a problem anyway.

It's really sad the hunting community has often become so divided, but your comments are spot on. I remember when two bow hunters hung stands near a major road to/from camp, and then got upset when other lease members drove by them on their way to fill feeders.

In the words of Rodney King, "Can't we all just get along?"

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Ethan Boyd
I don't think it's much of an overreaction. It does affect hunting if it's close enough. There's plenty of time between morning & evening hunts for messing around. It's a respect thing

I think you hit the nail on the head!

Evidently those who are doing the shooting and running around don't bow hunt, so they don't respect your right to bowhunt.
Ask them if it would be okay with them if you did the same to them while they are hunting?
Sounds like a meeting is in order to clear the air and lay down some ground rules.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 09/30/13 07:51 PM

You are soooo wrong. Shouldn't matter where they hang stands. Don't go fill feeders until mid day during season. Fact is if I fill my buck tag early and am just going to the lease to fill feeders and or work I sure as heck don't drive around while others are out hunting. That is a complete lack of courtesy. You can fill feeders after 10am and before 4pm and not disturb the bowhunters. Some people think they are the only ones on the lease.
You would be hissed TD if I was out walking around quail hunting during your rifle hunting outings. Dog running around, shotgun blasts making your deer skittish. Then you would complain about quail hunters. Golden rule, don't want it done to you, don't do it to them.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 02:37 PM

I am an old fellow, no kids and don't like other guys. I would be interested in finding a lease that is composed of attractive gals who like hunting and can cook, and I really don't care about their etiquette or noise they make. Skinny dipping at midnight is OK and heck, if they want to keep me awake that is OK. I am just there for the spirit of hunting, getting out in the woods, etc, not important whether I take any game home. I even have a couple of chain saws they can use to help them gather wood for the campfire. I don't mind if they borrow my truck or ATV as long as they clean it and return it with a full tank of gas. They can fill the feeders whenever they want. Size of area being hunted doesn't matter and if several of us have to share the same crowded little blind that is ok. If any of you malcontents can help me I would be grateful. Nothing more, just grateful. banana
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 03:03 PM

I am not a fan of shooting just to be shooting during any type of deer season. It is a hunting lease and not a shooting range. People that come out and sight in their rifles or pistols or hunt rabbits or any other minor species of animals during deer season sort of crank me. There is plenty of time before or after deer season for all of this. I go to the lease for peace and quiet and if a war breaks out, I am plenty ready to go home and if it happens enough times, I would be willing to look for another lease. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Featherduster

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 03:06 PM

There is plenty of time to be at the lease and shoot off rounds. When somebody is hunting then the other guys just need to hold on. Them being hunters themselves should understand that. I don't think you're blowing anything out of proportion.

Also yes I agree, I don't think that shooting scares deer much, but I could be wrong. I just know when I dove hunt behind our house around the tank, deer will walk up the bank and just stare.

Seems if they want to shoot, they can...but as long as somebody isn't currently hunting.

Was sittin in the stand with a buddy last year one evening. The farmer drove in to feed cattle, he saw us in the stand and immediately hit his breaks. We waved him to go ahead and feed the cattle, it wasn't a big deal to us at all. 2 hours later when it was finally dark he came driving back. The man knew we were hunting and decided to stay out there until he knew we were done...he respected us. And I respect him for that.
Posted By: Armalite260

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru
You are soooo wrong. Shouldn't matter where they hang stands. Don't go fill feeders until mid day during season. Fact is if I fill my buck tag early and am just going to the lease to fill feeders and or work I sure as heck don't drive around while others are out hunting. That is a complete lack of courtesy. You can fill feeders after 10am and before 4pm and not disturb the bowhunters. Some people think they are the only ones on the lease.
You would be hissed TD if I was out walking around quail hunting during your rifle hunting outings. Dog running around, shotgun blasts making your deer skittish. Then you would complain about quail hunters. Golden rule, don't want it done to you, don't do it to them.

Best one right here. If you don't want it done to you... Then don't do it to anyone else!! Simple!!! Several years ago I was on a lease where the guys stayed up ALL night long getting drunk off their A$$ and playing music super loud.. Not many got any sleep. Well, after that mornings hunt when they wanted to sleep off the nights drinking... I cranked my radio as LOUD as it would go playing Marilyn Manson.. Several came out and asked me to turn off, I promptly told'em why I was doing it and they could kiss the fattest part of my butt!! They got the point and the all night party's stopped.
Now having said that I'm older now and wouldn't give them a taste of how it feels come opening day of general season, but it would be in the back of my mind if they did that crap again
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

If one finds and starts their own lease and then fill the lease manager role, cards on the table, your rules should be clear to members before they sign on.

Did you make up a contract or list of rules for members BEFORE they got on the lease that includes no firearms, or are you making the rules up for them as you go. If rofd1374 is just verbally making them up, or assuming they know what he expects, he probably needs to give them a written set of guidelines they can refer to. Otherwise he is destined for a miserable season butting heads with all the new guys and their kids.

Maybe I didn't make it clear in my sarcastic post (darn sarcasm!)

I took the whole lease to myself, paid the whole fee so I am the only hunter. I can bring on guests as I see appropriate, and I know who is on the lease at all times because if someone is there, I brought them.

I did this because I have kids, who love to hunt, and didn't want anyone else worried about my kids actions. I have family who I take out and hunt, and didn't want to worry about them shooting off anyone's lease quote but mine. I have a dog I like to take out and let run, and didn't want to worry about someone else mad with her. the list can go on and on...

But bottom line is, I lease the land myself and I control what goes on there (within the limits of a lease of course, land owner rules the roost)...
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: blackcoal
I am an old fellow, no kids and don't like other guys. I would be interested in finding a lease that is composed of attractive gals who like hunting and can cook, and I really don't care about their etiquette or noise they make. Skinny dipping at midnight is OK and heck, if they want to keep me awake that is OK. I am just there for the spirit of hunting, getting out in the woods, etc, not important whether I take any game home. I even have a couple of chain saws they can use to help them gather wood for the campfire. I don't mind if they borrow my truck or ATV as long as they clean it and return it with a full tank of gas. They can fill the feeders whenever they want. Size of area being hunted doesn't matter and if several of us have to share the same crowded little blind that is ok. If any of you malcontents can help me I would be grateful. Nothing more, just grateful. banana

Me too!!! I like that idea!!! up

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

It's really sad the hunting community has often become so divided, but your comments are spot on. I remember when two bow hunters hung stands near a major road to/from camp, and then got upset when other lease members drove by them on their way to fill feeders.

Yes, and not driving by a stand while someone is hunting it to fill feeders is a nice place to start.

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Yes, and not driving by a stand while someone is hunting it to fill feeders is a nice place to start.

If the driving is before 10 a.m. or after 4 p.m. I would say that it's just wrong!

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 05:55 PM

Dan doesn't think it's possible to wrong a subhuman bowhunter....

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 05:58 PM

How dare they think you should stop them from driving all over the lease during prime hunting time!!! Oh, the nerve taz
Posted By: MR5Hunter

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
I have never met a single person that has said they wanted people to go target shooting by there blind during deer season.
Or welcomed kids to go four wheeling by blinds and chasing rabbits around feeders before or during a hunt.
It is a shame that you have to make rules to teach adults common courtesy.
x2
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/02/13 08:04 PM

Posted By: 7ARanch

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/03/13 03:37 AM

I would have to guess a lot of this is driven by the size of the lease. If it's large enough to give true separation it should never be an issue if it's relatively small, I would share aspects of the OP'S concerns, when I'm bow hunting, particularly during bow season I don't want to hear a bunch of weapons being fired but since I also bow hunt during gun session I expect it then. Heck it's usually my wife.
I also solved all of this by buying my own place, it's small but it's mine and we have enough animals to make it interesting
Posted By: Junebug

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/03/13 03:10 PM

We are lucky to only have 5 people at our lease and we are all good friends. We don't have any set rules, just common sense. Two of us have kids and the others do not. I belive there is a time to ride 4 wheelers and shoot your a guns and there is a time not to. We hunt in young county where the hunting pressure seems to be high. It's bad enough where if some one rides a 4 wheeler around the place the hunting seems to be no good.

When it comes to hunting season, bow or rifle season, it is still hunting season. You have had 8 months to ride your 4 wheelers, shot your guns, hunt rabbits and
other types of game, leave the other 4 months to hunt. Season will be over before you know it.

Say that rifle season started first before bow season, I'm sure a lot of you rifle hunters wouldn't be to happy if a bow hunter was at the lease making a lot of noise just cause there season hadn't started yet.
The op did say that after the gun shots and noise that they didn't see any more deer.
I would just have a sit down and explain you ideas and see if that gets you any where. My .02
Posted By: MACV

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/03/13 03:34 PM

I'm in with Blackcoal and Seadog.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/03/13 06:02 PM

man, I do not miss being on a lease
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/03/13 06:15 PM

Why not get on a lease that is restricted to nothing but bow hunting or NO shooting guns during bow season?

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/03/13 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Csddarden

Pretty simple on my place too: no shooting during bow season.
Posted By: camartin

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/04/13 02:17 PM

we tended to do a lot more shooting than hunting on my lease as it was a "family" setup. However, there was no shooting (range right outside of camp) until all hunters were done for the morning on our tiny lease. Also, we kind of made a four wheeler track on about 2 acres right outside of our camp and the kids stuck to that and were extremely happy. We had tons of deer and as long as the shooting was in the middle of the day it bothered neither the deer or the hunters.
Posted By: jwb

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/04/13 02:49 PM

very simple on our lease, No loaded guns in camp. If you pull the trigger, it better be shooting at game. Practice and sighting in will be done at home. Ten people on lease for 15 yrs and no issues with random shooting. But we don't bow hunt.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/04/13 08:41 PM

squirrels used to drive me crazy, chattering, thinking they gonna scare deer away. on a lease one hunter took his .22 with to his deer stand, heard a .A22 go off, 10. Min. latter his .06, he shot a squirrel with .22 a buck with .06 confused2
Posted By: mossisland

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/05/13 01:37 AM

10 years of living in Texas and still puzzled at the anti bowhunting crowd in this state (among hunters!). Maybe if they moved the season to February? Best answers:

1) Lease the whole ranch!
2) Rules
3) Do unto others.....too bad this isn't #1
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/06/13 01:57 AM

It all depends on the rules of the lease. If I was bow hunting it would annoy me but if I was the one hog hunting...well if it is not prohibited in the lease rules...
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/07/13 01:24 PM

Bow hunters can be the worse for thinking that because they have an early start, the woods should belong to them and no one else. To them, it means no one should squirrel hunt or do anything that might somehow interfere with the woods being totally their own. No one should be filling feeders, creating food plots, mowing, or anything else that might mess up their hunt.

Now, having said that, I agree with you to a point. Deer camp should not be a place for shooting practice when gun ranges are available. It's as much a matter of safety as it is showing respect for landowners. After all, would you feel safe while hearing someone busting a lot of caps around your home? Still, just because you have a head start before others, that doesn't give you the right to tell everyone around you to stop what they're doing. Gun hunters face the noise that goes with shots being fired all the time. So what makes you so special?

^This^
Posted By: wfhunter

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/09/13 03:09 AM

I believe you have to have written rules that everyone agrees on as a lease body. New members have to agree to the rules unless the lease body agrees to change the written rules. These rule vary as much as all the opinions on this site. Nevertheless they are agreed upon by the lease body to follow. If you do not, you have people who don't think what they are doing is wrong, or affecting others, or they simply do not care. We have had experiences with people who think the lease is their personal lease and they can do anything they want. Even the most inconsiderate actions that most commonsense people would not do. Our lease is a family lease and we are there to have fun and all get along. You want to really know someone, or how different than you they are, get on a hunting lease with them. LoL! I am a bow and gun hunter and know that shooting guns in camp, dove hunting during bow season, working on stands, etc.. etc... has no significant impact on my hunt based on 40 years in the field. Now if you have 3-4 guys on 100 acres, you probably do. Size of the lease does make a difference. Be fair and let's all have fun doing what we love. Hunting is our way of life. Good Hunting!
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/10/13 06:47 PM

A lot of it depends on a particular piece of of property. I have seen places where a gun shot will spook every deer in the general area, and I have seen places where deer are effected very little by the report of a gun.

I hunt a small(ish) piece of family land where there are residences on one side. I can watch deer doing their normal thing when there are kids playing on a trampoline less than 300yds away. The deer are used to a certain amount of human noise. On the other hand, my uncle who hunts the same piece of property will absolutely freak out over the least little amount of human traffic in the field while he is out hunting, let alone a gunshot coming from the camp area.

I guess it's like anything else. Personal views and idiosyncrasies dominate the course of conversation on this topic. But like I said, particular pieces of property and deer herds can be very different.

And to add, I'm glad I don't hunt a lease any more. Rules, rules, and more rules just take the fun out out of it for me. Common courtesy must always be present, don't get me wrong. But making a rule that restricts every little action that might be deemed offensive by one or more member of a lease is like our Government making a law every time someone does something to offend another citizen. It gets out of hand very quickly and the fun of hunting is lost. For those of you who don't mind all the rules, more power to you.
Posted By: Lazy L

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/11/13 06:51 PM

So you acknowledge you hunt close to camp but get mad when people make noise or shoot at camp? No one to blame but yourself.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/11/13 07:57 PM

Don't hunt on a lease with 20 other hunters. Too many people to deal with and too many rules to make, follow and break with 20 other hunters. Expect problems with this many people and don't be so surprised when it happens. Kind of like the government, the more there is the more messed up things get.
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/11/13 11:05 PM

What ever the rules are for gun season should be the rules for bow season neither deserve more than the other. If you don't have rules written down they don't exist!
Posted By: OFBHWG

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/11/13 11:11 PM

Should the rules for gun hunting be exactly what the rules are for bow hunting?
Posted By: Buckenvy

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/12/13 02:29 AM

difference between a good Deer Lease and a Bad deer lease is the list of rules, if your lease dosn't have a list, might be why its bad for you!
Posted By: Crawdaddct

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/12/13 04:59 AM

I was bow hunting the other day and was watching a doe, waiting for her to get a little closer, when shot rang out not far from me. The doe went into hiding. I went to camp and told the guys what had happen. One guy told me it was him, shooting at hogs. If people are hunting, I dont have a problem with it. Now just shooting for the heck of it, not cool.
Posted By: gonefishing-2day

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/14/13 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Crawdaddct
I was bow hunting the other day and was watching a doe, waiting for her to get a little closer, when shot rang out not far from me. The doe went into hiding. I went to camp and told the guys what had happen. One guy told me it was him, shooting at hogs. If people are hunting, I dont have a problem with it. Now just shooting for the heck of it, not cool.
Only one rule on my place. You see a pig and don't shoot it or at it your off my place.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/14/13 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By: GristleHead

Amen and two thumbs up! banana

Now that is funny !!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/15/13 02:55 AM

Count me in with the 'It's called deer camp for a reason'. You've had 8 months to do all those other activities.
Posted By: Nighteagle

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/15/13 03:48 PM

where I hunt on my friends property, he has neighbors that hunt, and out of common courtesy, there is no target shooting at all during hunting season. neighbors hunt on all sides of his land, and they don't target shoot during hunting season either. its just common courtesy

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/15/13 04:01 PM

At least don't be shooting during early morning and late evening. Why is it that some people get into the country and feel that courtesy and common sense no longer apply. Bowhunters and gun hunters can get along just being considerate to each other.
Posted By: old03

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/15/13 04:47 PM

they need to be on a lease with "like minded" individuals, i.e. if the group thinks its ok to make noise and grabass during bow season then its ok. If the group doesn't then they should find another lease.
Posted By: Honkey911

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/16/13 12:27 AM

If they make a lot of noise all the time it really wont bother the deer but if they do it just when your there then you got a lil problem
Posted By: Honkey911

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/16/13 12:29 AM

I had a box blind bout 200 yard of I-20 loud as all get out killed a hoss of 8point
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/22/13 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Honkey911
I had a box blind bout 200 yard of I-20 loud as all get out killed a hoss of 8point

You mean, people still drive right past you on the highway while your hunting!!?? eek2
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Aggravated at new hunters on lease - 10/23/13 08:07 PM

In my experience if you have to have an official list of rules, its probably not going to be a good lease. Good hunters and friends use common sense most of the time and when somebody slips up, usually a respectful conversation takes care of everything.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum