Texas Hunting Forum

New to hunting

Posted By: Quoc

New to hunting - 09/13/13 10:51 PM

Last year I went to my first hunting trip and fell in love with the sport. But my frien lost the lease and now I got no where to hunt. So my question is, where can I go hunting without having to lease a land? I'm still new so not ready to invest in a stand, feed, and etc.. but want to experience more of the sport.

I'll be probably going alone and need a place that can provide guidance and advice. Looking for deer hunting.
Posted By: toolman

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 12:21 AM

Welcome aboard! Start here: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/ . You may also want to look into day leasing/paid hunts. If you're in a rural area, sometimes you can find someone that will let you shoot pigs or birds for free, but those deals are getting few and far between. Good luck!
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 01:51 AM

Welcome to THF.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 02:49 AM

I would look into guided hunts for birds, hogs, doe, or management bucks. You should be able to find some that fit within about any budget and typically, the guides would enjoy answering questions and giving some pointers.

Welcome to the THF and welcome to the addiction cheers
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 03:33 AM

As stated...your best option is to get on a day hunt (usually 3 days) or guided management type hunt. Everything is already set up for you and ready to hunt. Doe hunts are usually going to be the most affordable and easiest which would be perfect for a beginner. Don't be discouraged it may take some calling and research but their out there and available. Where do you want to hunt (area)? Congrats and welcome to to the THF and the addiction up
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Welcome to THF.

X2

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 01:56 PM

Thanks. I'll definitely check out the day and guided hunt.
Posted By: Chadillac

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
Welcome to THF.

X2

X3
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: New to hunting - 09/14/13 05:25 PM

welcome to the forum.
Posted By: Jojo4711

Re: New to hunting - 09/15/13 01:49 PM

Welcome to THF. Is ur buddy not going to find another place to hunt? If he had a lease and lost it, he is probably looking for somewhere else to hunt also.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: New to hunting - 09/15/13 02:41 PM

Also try the Corp of Engineers. They have a few lakes that they allow Deer hunting on. If you bow hunt, your public opportunities increase significantly.
Posted By: 1860.colt

Re: New to hunting - 09/16/13 05:02 AM

welcome to the THF, place's ta hunt are getting hard ta find, check into WMA land flag

Re: New to hunting - 09/16/13 09:27 PM

My buddy is taking a year off to find other people who wants to partner up and get a long term lease. After the trip last year I went out and got my own rifle and now I want to use it. And this is a guy who never owned a single gun before and now I got four.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum