Texas Hunting Forum

How do you keep mice out of campers????

Posted By: melara

How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/20/08 11:57 PM

the mice (and one GIANT rat) have torn up my camper. i have the plug in deterants and one of the really loud "industrial strength" ones too, but it seems as though they have ear plugs. any proven methods to keep those SOBs out??

Posted By: BMD

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:00 AM

throw bait under not inside and look for hole they are getting in somewhere fill hole with steel wool and foam it in wire mesh will help as well.

Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:03 AM

Seal up the holes with steel wool and screen wire.

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:05 AM

Quote:

fill hole with steel wool and wha...!!.

huh?? how does that keep mice out?

Posted By: BMD

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:09 AM

spell check got me, guess I should have read. Count on you to let me know.

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:51 AM

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Tbar

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:55 AM

Quote:

the mice (and one GIANT rat) have torn up my camper. i have the plug in deterants and one of the really loud "industrial strength" ones too, but it seems as though they have ear plugs. any proven methods to keep those SOBs out??

I wouldn't recommend it but you could lock one of these up inside.............

Tbar

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:55 AM

Me too LMAO That would kinda be uncomfortable Huh?

Posted By: tjbailey1967

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 01:47 AM

if the mice are there the snakes arnt.

Posted By: TXBowhunter1

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 02:02 AM

Quote:

spell check got me, guess I should have read. Count on you to let me know.

lol

Posted By: KellyAsh

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 03:04 AM

I had a bad problem with the little field mice getting into our place. We ended up putting all the perishable food in the fridge and spread rat poison all around the place outside and specific places inside. Then we got thos sticky pads and put them in different places inside and put tidbits of food on those. A month later, no more mice. It was only when we let up on the setup did we start seeing mice again.

Posted By: mustafa

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 03:45 AM

we put moth balls out under the camper. doesnt work for crap since we still have mice. i think my brother likes the smell

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 10:55 AM

NOTHING will keep them out. I buy a lot of poison pellets. The electronic gizmos are useless.

Posted By: TXMachinist

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 12:38 PM

We got some little small plastic bottles and put holes in them up towards the top, put a little fox urine in them and hung them under the trailer. Seemed to work great and we never smelled it. Got this idea from the feed mill here in Lewisville. He has the bottles and urine.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 01:37 PM

Large cotton balls saturated with pure peppermint or spearmint oil (not extract) put them around the trailer about every 18” then toss another 6 -12 underneath.

Fox, coyote or any predator urine on cotton balls tossed under the trailer will help; some have luck using the clumps of domestic cat urine from a litter box.

You can put the soaked cotton balls in small plastic bottles with holes punched in them hung or tossed underneath the trailer, (keeps the scent around longer).

D-con or any kind of bait box or pouch smear a small dab of peanut butter on one corner of the container put one under each corner and 2-4 more underneath.
Throw in a couple of large glue traps for good measure.
You’ll notice they stop eating the bait in about 2 weeks, mix a small amount of PB in the opened bait, wear gloves.
Place a good sized pan of water about 20 yards away from the trailer.

The best way is to line the bottom of the trailer with a thin sheet or sheets of galvanized metal or roof flashing, seal all corners, seams and intrusions with metal foil tape.
Mine came that way from the factory, I just reseal with foil tape about every 2-3 years.

Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 01:40 PM

We use bait traps and moth balls at our place.

Posted By: ouixch

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/21/08 06:49 PM

get a cat

Posted By: Whiterock

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 01:08 AM

The best product I have found to not only kill rodents but to also reduce the smell of a decaying rat is a product called Tomcat. It is a liquid. You mix it w/ water and put in a small (qt size) "chick waterer" and place under your trailer or inside. I've been able to kill both mice and rats w/ this product. Keep the pets away from the waterer as stated on the product label. You should be able to find it at most feed stores along with the waterer.

Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 01:17 AM

Quote:

get a cat

Ya'll may think im crazy, but we have several cats at our camp, wild SOB's too. we dont have any mice or rats.

Posted By: tgil

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 01:22 AM

Quote:

Quote:

get a cat

Ya'll may think im crazy, but we have several cats at our camp, wild SOB's too. we dont have any mice or rats.

I'm all for the cat idea except when they run out of mice, they can put a hurtin on the quail. I've tried everything. They pulled the steel wool from one hole, took it up to a drawer in the cabinet and used it as part of their nest! I've just started naming all of them and trealt them like pets now.

Posted By: INRUT

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 01:40 AM

pour a ring around your trailer with a 50lb bag of Sulphur.
It works as long as there is not a lot of rain.

Posted By: CurtisCatfish

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 01:46 AM

Quote:

Quote:

get a cat

Wait till you leave your back pack or fanny pack out one night and them SOB's spray you pack. Try hunting with that smell in your stand. It happend to my pack early last season, and the smell is still on it. It's been out in the garage all this time and yes i sprayed it with everything i could think of. I just bought another pack, to haul my hunting stuff in. I HATE CATS !!!!

Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 12:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

get a cat

Wait till you leave your back pack or fanny pack out one night and them SOB's spray you pack. Try hunting with that smell in your stand. It happend to my pack early last season, and the smell is still on it. It's been out in the garage all this time and yes i sprayed it with everything i could think of. I just bought another pack, to haul my hunting stuff in. I HATE CATS !!!!

Don't get me wrong, i hate them Lil Sob's just as much as you do, i guess we have been lucky and hadn't had any problems out of them, but rest assure as soon as i do, they'll all get a .22 sleeping pill, but for now they can stay, as long as they keep the mice out of my trailer and camp house.

Posted By: WTGuide

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 08:16 PM

you cant keep them out

Posted By: melara

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/22/08 11:37 PM

looks like i'll have a few projects to work on next weekend!! thanks for the input!!

Posted By: msusoccer

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/23/08 12:18 AM

Bounce Dryer Sheets spread around trailer!

Posted By: TBone250

Re: How do you keep mice out of campers???? - 10/23/08 12:43 PM

I got to my camper one day last season and it looked like the mice had one heck of a party while I was gone. Mouse crap everywhere. The brick-like poison I had laying around was turned into small marbles.

What's key is to remove any water. I drain my tanks and low point drains everytime now and make sure everything else is sealed tight. I also use the plug-in ultrasonic repellants, bounce dryer sheets and swapped brands of poison.

I thought all holes were already plugged. I traced the poop to the electrical line that remains plugged in outside the camper. I cut the bottom of a large plastic water bottle and affixed it to the cable like the rat barriers you see on ship's line when moored to a dock.

So far, no reinfestation.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum