Texas Hunting Forum

Am I over reacting?? or what?

Posted By: Frisbie

Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:03 PM

OK. I've been married for 4 yrs now. My wife's family has 1200 acres in Anderson county. No one in her family is what I would call a serious hunter at all. However I work on this place year round and feed 6 months out of the year. A buddy of mine and I have spent countless weekends down there since june, sweating our butts off to make this place huntable. For the 4th year in a row now my wifes family is ready to hunt but no one has done a dang thing to get ready for it. So after building stands and filling feeders everyone is trying to claim one of the many spots I have worked so hard for. Then when they get out there they shoot anything that moves. Like last year, I feed and watched a NICE 2.5 year old 8 pt all year. Wasn't gonna shoot him then the last day of the season someone rolls up with him. Drive me nuts. Weekends I'm not there I have God knows who hunting outta my blinds.
I don't know if I can actually complain to anyone about it because its not really my land. So its more of a priviledge to be out there, and I know I'm lucky to have what I do. But how would yall handle this?

Posted By: TexasShooter

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:09 PM

Seems like you are in a bad situcation. IF you complain , you the bad apple and cant hunt, if you don't , you working your butt of for others.

Maybe set up a stand that you want to hunt , fill the feeder and so on and let everyone know that you working that one for yourself next year. Maybe if you don't make it so easy for them to walk in and hunt they may not be so quick to show up all the time. If you doing all the work why should they hop up and do any ? Just a thought

Posted By: BenBob

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:11 PM

Been there, done that, and I am still doing that. It is no fun, but the bottom line is there are some jerks in this world and no matter how we try to get around it, some of us are kinned to them. Does this sound familiar?

We basically have the same problem. Place was handed down in a trust to 4 grandkids. Place is 525 acres in Hill Country. All grandkids have a family and most want something for nothing. Most of hunters in the family want to show up with everything working and feeders going with stands in good shape so they can crawl in them and hunt. They do not want to foot the bill for corn or stands. They say they filled up the feeders, but they never do. I think they want to just pay for the kernel of corn the deer was eating at the time they pulled the trigger and are so cheap they would average the number of kernels in a sack and divide it into the price of a bag of corn to see what they owe everyone else that paid. They want to throw trash, beer cans, and anything else that they want and do not want to clean up anything except for their plates after you have cooked for them. Rules are for someone else to follow, and management is they manage to do whatever they can to have a good time and you are to manage your time to help them out as much as possible. They want to use your stuff and gripe when they tear it up. IF it is not torn up, they want to take it home with them and use it there because you owe them that. They get to kill whatever they want and you are just here to kill time and you are not supposed to dare suggest that they need to do any type of work while they are there relaxing. If they forget their key, they pry open the door and leave it for you to fix and just take the gate off of its hinges and expect you to fix it whenever you get back down there. They can go any weekend they want hunting and if you want to go and be as big of a slob as them and hunt the way that they do, just come on down, because they will embarrass you, or cheat you, or basically just make your life miserable. Other than that, they are pretty good people. I know exactly what you mean in regard to this situation.

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:12 PM

Is there a place that you can set up a stand and feeder and no one will find it? That has worked for me in the past. They can't hunt it if they don't know it's there...

Posted By: Sethfish

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:14 PM

Be thankful for the opportunity and the others who are participating. Remember some people hunt for the time they spend with people and the food it provides. Some hunt for the horns. We are all hunters. When we start cheaping one or the other we all lose. Your situation is not the best of course but it is far from the worst.

Posted By: deerfeeder

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:16 PM

I don't think you are over reacting, but you are between a rock and a hard place. You are probably facint that "blood is thicker than water" situation.

Your solution, or attempt at a solution, probably depends on who in the pecking order is doing the shooting. If you can find that out, or know, maybe talkig to them about what it is you are trying to do, not only for you, but the place in general, as far as improving the herd, maybe they'll get on the same page as you. The problem could be from a lack of knowledge on the other person's part.

I would think you wouldn't wanna rock the boat too hard and risk being told you aren't welcome to hunt there because you are causing "family" problems. Just thoughts.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:19 PM

BenBob.... We might be related to the same family!!!! Hahaha... Yea, that exactly what happens EVERY YEAR. Thought about setting up where no one can find it. That what I'm gonna have to resort to I guess.

Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:22 PM

If you decide to hide a stand... don't take one that is already there... they will go look for it, or ask about it... When I hide a stand, I will go buy a new one.

Posted By: DCS

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:23 PM

First off, are you paying anything to hunt? If not, then I would think somebody hunting your blind a few times would be a small price to pay. I know it's rubs you wrong, but really it's not your land. Whoever owns the land sets the rules or at least that's how it is on our place.

You might think about putting a lock on your blind or think about getting some secret spots just for yourself.

I for sure wouldn't put a whole lot of effort and money into it until there are some rules established. If they didn't agree to the rules I would just hunt out of temporary blinds and only feed a small amount of feed.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:31 PM

I don't pay the my family anything, but you put a price on my time, 2 tons of corn a year, and all the equipment I buy. We are talking a good chuck of change. But I guess getting me a lock on blind and putting it back where no one can fine it might just be the best way to go...

Posted By: PKnTX

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:35 PM

Can only say what I think I'd do since have never
been blessed with this particular curse.

Think I'd take my feeders down and stop feeding.
Take down my blinds/stands.
Go regularly and do general work
(fence repair, clean-up and such)
to stay in the good graces of those that matter,
followed by scouting of game trails
and other natural habitat. Use pop-up
blinds or better yet fashion natural
blinds that blend well enough so not
easily found. Hunt in ways that others
can not take advantage of your preparations.

Don't set yourself up for disappointment.
I'm sure no one else needs to say it but
the chances of winning a battle with folks
that have blood ties to the land are slim to none.
Enjoy the opportunity for what it is.

Good luck,
PK

Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:44 PM

Quote:

I don't pay the my family anything, but you put a price on my time, 2 tons of corn a year, and all the equipment I buy. We are talking a good chuck of change. But I guess getting me a lock on blind and putting it back where no one can fine it might just be the best way to go...

You would have that expense plus the price of a lease if it were not for the "family" land. Still kind of cheap.

Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:55 PM

Talk to whoever owns the land. Don't complain!. Talk to them about ideas you might have for making the hunting even better than it already is. Let them know that these new ideas will require the effort of more than just you. And see if you can schedule a weekend, or more, for everyone that hunts the place to come out and help. Don't just let it go either. Bring it up multiple times, with the head honcho, and with all of the hunters on the place. Ride them about it. Let them know this is something you really want.

If one of them has one negative thing to say about it, bring up the fact that they've been reaping the rewards of your hard labor for some time now, and that a little effort on their part might just be taken as a showing of appreciation.

Some people just don't understand what kind of work is required just to maintain minimal hunting areas. My little cousin is a great example of this. He always hunted with my uncle (his dad) when he was growing up. My uncle was always on some sort of corporate deer lease somewhere in the brush country. And my uncle is the worlds biggest procrastinator too. So when we all started hunting our family land again, a few years ago. I kinda ran into the same problem as you. Me and my hunting buddy would go down, keep feeders full, and try to do what we could to better the hunting. Then my cousin would show up and just hunt, as would my uncle, with little more effort invested than just erecting a stand somewhere. Often, my cousin would bring some of his college buddies with him. We were rarely all there at the same time, but it kinda chapped my arse that we were doing all the work, and they were getting the benefit from it.

So I told my uncle that I wanted to put in a few food plots last year. He said "great". I explained to him that I could get a tractor, and mower, and disc, and I would appreciate some help. It almost took an act of congress to pin him down on a weekend to do this work. And I also stressed how much easier it would be if his boy showed up to help. So he did. We worked our butts off from daylight to dark for two days in the summer heat getting ground cleared and turned over. The food plots didn't do so well. But when it came time this year to do it again, there wasn't near the problem getting them involved. I think it showed them what we'd have done with or without them. And they felt a higher sense of obligation to help us. I'm even getting offers to help out with the cost of corn this year too.

But another thing you could do. Just concentrate your efforts on one blind, and area. Let all of the others go. When people start complaining because the blinds aren't safe, and things like that. Tell them "that kind of stuff don't take care of itself. My blind is in good shape, wouldn't ya like to have key"? That'd send a message for sure.

Deadbeat hunters, ah I better quit now.

Jay

Posted By: bigmike_ml21

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:59 PM

Not over-reacting at all. If you put in all the time and money, then you should have the run of the place. I would pick your favorite stand or 2, and mess with them only (clean up, feed, food plots, stands, etc...) Come next deer season, they will appreciate how good they had it when their favorite stand is all grown up and there's no corn in the feeder. JMO Good Luck with that one, family and hunting sometimes dont mix well

Posted By: KellyAsh

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 05:59 PM

My opinion is that because this isn't your land and your allowed to hunt it, anything you do to that land is a "thank you" of sorts.

When I go hunt anyone elses land, I am exceedingly thankful they allowed me to hunt their land. I chalk it up as my "payment" and try and do at least as much as they expect of me and more, if I can. I'm not always the quickest one to the etiquette all the time but I do as much as I can.

That's how I think I will create the best situation for everyone, therefore making the best situation possible for myself.

They happen to benefit from it and rightly so, without them, even with their lack of consideration (I think of the times when I might not have been as considerate as I could have) you would have no place to set your stand.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:06 PM

Quote:

My opinion is that because this isn't your land and your allowed to hunt it, anything you do to that land is a "thank you" of sorts.

When I go hunt anyone elses land, I am exceedingly thankful they allowed me to hunt their land. I chalk it up as my "payment" and try and do at least as much as they expect of me and more, if I can. I'm not always the quickest one to the etiquette all the time but I do as much as I can.

That's how I think I will create the best situation for everyone, therefore making the best situation possible for myself.

They happen to benefit from it and rightly so, without them, even with their lack of consideration (I think of the times when I might not have been as considerate as I could have) you would have no place to set your stand.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Second that

Good luck

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:11 PM

buy your own place!

Posted By: AdgerC15

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:14 PM

backin up!
that sounded mean, but it was complete sarcasm.
Honestly, try consulting the direct landowner; maybe have a sitdown with all the involved hunting parties. Set out rules and guidelines, maybe draw stands or rotate or vote on picks by seniority or hours put in to benefit!
If you approach something like this the right way you might wind up impressing a FIL or other family member enough to heed some carrying weight your way in the way things go as far as hunting operations. Good luck!

ac

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:21 PM

I really don't care to much what they do other than sitting in the one blind that I have invested so much time it. All the other ones really no big deal. But I went out and invested a ton of money on a blind and a nice feeder and some how I have pics of every person in her family on my game cam. Just 2 weeks ago I checked my camera and there a pic of her cousin shooting 3 hogs inside my hog trap 30 yrd from my feeder. Then he drags them out and just leaves them there for the buzzards. If they would just leave my chit alone and pay for alittle corn I don't really mind the work. Just frustrating!!

Posted By: KellyAsh

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:27 PM

It sounds like they just don't understand the impact theyre having. Maybe try explaining it to them as nice as you can. I would like to think they want to do the right thing and be "hunters" and not ingrates, they just don't know what "hunters" are supposed to do. I'm just going on what I read and I know I'm ignorant as to all the actual specifics of them, their personalities, and the situation like you do. Just trying to help you have what you want.

Posted By: Crazyhorse

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:29 PM

Quote:

My wife's family has 1200 acres in Anderson county. No one in her family is what I would call a serious hunter at all.

I have been watching some of the responses, and I wonder how many folks paid any real attention to the above statement??

JMO, but I see only two options, a address the situation and possible get told that you can't hunt there and since you are only married into the family you don't have a reason to gripe, especially in that you make no mention anywhere that anyone told you that you had to do all that work.

You are more interested in hunting then any of them are, and my guess is all the work you have done all this time was self motivated, and they did not care one way or the other.

Option 2, as someone else mentioned, figure out a way to set up some ground blinds and just put out corn lines on the ground in the areas you are going to hunt and hunt those.

Quote:

A buddy of mine

Here is another little aspect that can cause you problems with forcing the issue.

Is this buddy a member of your family, or your wifes family, and just exactly how much griping has he been doing about the situation?

Is this the buddy's first season to be able to hunt the place?

Quote:

Like last year, I feed and watched a NICE 2.5 year old 8 pt all year. Wasn't gonna shoot him

Do the places adjoining this 1200 acres have management plans in effect? Is the place your on high fence or low fence? How much hunting goes on, on the adjoining properties?

Quote:

So its more of a priviledge to be out there, and I know I'm lucky to have what I do.

You have what sounds like a good place to hunt or one that could become good, except, it is your in-laws place, and they are not as interested in hunting as you are.

It is a difficult situation, but I think it can be worked out, if you go about it the right way, and I don't believe being confrontational will get you very far.

I think the suggestion of changing your hunting strategy and doing things that the in-laws are not going to be willing to try will work better than anything else.

If you can statr bringing bucks using methods that the family is not interested in, maybe it will get them interested in trying new things or at least putting forth some effort in amking the place better for everyone. JMO.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:30 PM

Yea... I haven't tried talking to them cause I didn't want to "rock the boat" but I guess ill try. Thanks for all the advice

Posted By: Curly

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 06:35 PM

Just remember, you knew they weren't "serious hunters" and it is their land. Not to sound like a jerk but that's kinda tha chance you took.

Posted By: Rustler

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 07:37 PM

IMO locking or hiding blinds will quickly lead to unfavorable family issues.
How are you going to react when a relative breaks the lock off of or finds one of your hidden blinds and starts hunting it.
That's right you're going to flip out may not be able to hold your tongue and the poo's gonna fly, and you've gotten into a no win situation.

If you have a good relationship with the land owner I'd have a talk with him.
You never know until you try he may see it your way.
I doubt he'll care about any management issues or they'd already be in place so I wouldn't go there.
He may not have a clue about how much time effort and money you're putting into this and possibly tell the family "y'all guna have to start helpin out ole frizz if you wanna hunt".

I'm not saying anything against your buddy but in my experience including a buddy on family land hunting deal such as this is a good way for the both of you to end up looking for a new place to hunt.
When buddies get fed up with something like this they'll say the wrong thing to the wrong person at the wrong time 98% of the time.

Posted By: ouixch

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 07:49 PM

Look, talk to the people who are bugging you adult to adult. Clearly lay out what bothers you, and explain how their cooperation will make for a better experience for everyone. They can listen to you, or they can't.

On the side I would tell you to be thankful that you have a place to hunt. There are plenty of people on this forum who write in looking for a place to go cause they can't afford a lease, so while I do see your warranted frustration, looking at the bigger picture......you still have the opportunity to go.

Unless you have the ability to purchase your own land, dealing with the inconvenience posed by this situation may be your only recourse. Often calmly facing your problem and dealing with it in the open will get you more than you expected.

Just my two cents. Good luck with it.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 08:45 PM

Yes all the places around us have managment plans in effect... as do we. When I came into the family i made the suggestion. Last year alone we had 15 doe permits. Im the only one that used them but I also know of 6 other does that were shot by family members or family friends. I'm telling yall, they dont care. They are out there to shoot and thats is it. But the place has been in the family for generations. It seems like my wifes grandfather really cares about the place cause thats where he grew up, but the grand-children really dont care about the up keep or anything. Heck my wife wouldnt go out there if i didnt.

My buddy that is hunting out there with me doesnt care what so ever about anything that goes on. I think he thinks I'm alittle to up tight about it. He is just out there to hang out, heck he didnt even take a shot last year. And this year he is talking about hunting with a camera.
I dont know what I'm gonna end up doing but i feel like its to late to do anything this year. My wifes family are really good people, but like i said they just arent "into it" as much as I am. I really do enjoy being out there and getting ready for the season, but its the fact that I have to fight for the spots I have worked so hard for. Sometimes I dont think they know Im pissed because I dont show it. They have been nothing but good to me so I dont wanna rock the boat. Thats why I was asking for some advice...

Posted By: Tbar

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 09:10 PM

Send an email to the family members that you are staking out one blind and feeder. Put a lock on the blind door. Only fill that feeder.

Or........start sending them a bill for the feed, time and labor to maintain their feeders.

They should have no expectation that you are maintaining their feeders for free.

Tbar

Posted By: Curtis

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 10:21 PM

I'd probably have a fit and then come down here and hunt in Gonzales!

I kind of know how you feel. My father and I go hunt my grandparents place and my grandparents have no problem with it at all. All goes well till the holidays are here and the wierdos from Mississippi come around to thinking they have to claim some kind of throne or something. Always take a few young bucks every year under my feeder and at my stand and then call me to cape and gut it for them. WTH?

That's why I picked up bow hunting. I'm not worried about my neighbors. I'm worried about the rest of the wierdos in my own family and I will never teach them to bow hunt!

What's the wife think about the situation? Can she talk to her father about it? Or have you tried to perhaps?

I'd have to try to make some kind of a stand with no trails going to it and not tell a soul its there way off in the back 40 somewhere or something.

Posted By: denton

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 10:39 PM

1200 acres is plenty of land to separate yourself on. Situation definatly sucks however thats what happens when you dont own the land. My family last year decided to invite 10 friends out to our land OPENING DAY to hunt. I didn't know until I pulled up to the cabin the night before. Hour and a half after shooting light there were 8 bucks in front of the cabin. I'd trade you situations any day. PS they'll be back this year too. fun, fun - make the best of it.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 10:51 PM

I'm about to throw a fit and get down there!!!! I figure if I just save all my money on corn and gas, I can go down to double arrow every year and get me a trophy. Screw it!!! Hahahahahaha

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 10:56 PM

Let me give you some advice from a grandpa. You better have your wife talk to grandpa, she is blood kin, you are just an in-law. You step in with the wrong attitude you might be told where to put all of your blinds and feeders.

Been there and done that.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 11:03 PM

There's an old story that goes something like this.

There was a little bird that didn't want to fly south with the rest of the birds because the weather was so nice. The other birds all left and finally the weather got cold.

He finally decided he'd better fly south too. On his way south the little bird got caught in a blizzard. Try as he might he couldn't keep flying when his little wings iced over. So down he goes and hits in a barn yard. He's too weak to move and so he just lays there waiting for the end.

Well, just as he thinks he's gonna cash it in a cow comes by and poops on him and buries him. At first he's horrified and indignant at what's happened to him. But, as he lays there he starts warming up and defrosting from the warm cow poop.

After awhile he's his old self again and starts chirping away because he's nice and warm.

Then, the barn cat hearing all the chirping comes over to investigate, digs the little bird out and eats him.

The moral of the story is; If you are safe and warm even if you are in a pile of $hit, keep your mouth shut.

Not sure if that applies to your situation, but it's worth considering. JMO

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 11:04 PM

Deerfeeder that is a good one. I think your version of an answer was better than mine.

Posted By: Big Tony

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 11:19 PM

That's funny.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 11:21 PM

Best boss I ever had told that story when he first took over the office...and he meant it. It's been a lot of years since then, but I remember it to this day. Lots of truth there.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 11:37 PM

Wow... The wisdom on this thread is bubbling over to the rest of the forum.... Simmer down

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 11:48 PM

Well, you know when season opens for guns so I'd be there with bells on and I'd be in my stand and let it be known where you're gonna hunt!! Have you got a stand you can call yours?? If not I'd be the firstest with the mostest.

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/20/08 11:57 PM

Quote:

This is just an 'ol 46 year old that has never had such a place to go hunt and has had to hunt with friends, when invited, if ever, or to hunt public land, my entire life. I say quit your complaining, at least they don't charge you.

Sure it's hard work but paying upwards of $1000 a year and hunting with jackasses is even worse. I'd hide my stuff and be quite if I were you, your very fortunate to be on a 1200 acre lease, for free.

If you don't like the scenery, move, go pay $1200 a year, work your [censored] off, put up with more rules and you still don't know if any of the other hunters are in your stand when you're not there.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 12:07 AM

Like the post says.... Am I over reacting?

Posted By: Double_Drop_Tines

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 12:26 AM

Trust me when I say this, no offense, but yeah I think you are. I wish I had your problems. Like someone said earler, have your wife go talk to her Grandpaw, and go with her, but listen and don't put your foot in your mouth, and say something that'll get you removed.

Family relations are always to be handled with kid-gloves. Try to get into their graces and stay there. No one likes being told what's wrong with the world, but if you really try you might find a couple of people that think like you do. Don't try to give orders but instead offer help and make friends. It's much easier to get what you want if your not expecting everyone else to conform to your ways.

That or you could go buy some stuff called Funnel Juice,by BioDefend and spray it everywhere you don't want to hunt, that'll make dang sure they don't see anything.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 12:31 AM

Oh I'm in their good graces! They think I hung the moon. I LOVE her family but they just dont seem to understand how i feel about hunting, and how territorial I am about it. Like I said maybe I'm just over reacting. And I want them to kill deer... Im not that harsh!!! hahaha. I just want them to stay outta my blind.

Posted By: JJH

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 12:34 AM

Figure out what it would cost you to have an equivalent place to hunt. Put a value on your time, multiply that times the hours you spend.

If the family place is more expensive than your alternative, then go find a lease, or talk maturely and objectively to the family. If not, enjoy the priviledge that you have, and keep quiet.

Posted By: Friction

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 12:40 AM

Quote:

There's an old story that goes something like this.

There was a little bird that didn't want to fly south with the rest of the birds because the weather was so nice. The other birds all left and finally the weather got cold.

He finally decided he'd better fly south too. On his way south the little bird got caught in a blizzard. Try as he might he couldn't keep flying when his little wings iced over. So down he goes and hits in a barn yard. He's too weak to move and so he just lays there waiting for the end.

Well, just as he thinks he's gonna cash it in a cow comes by and poops on him and buries him. At first he's horrified and indignant at what's happened to him. But, as he lays there he starts warming up and defrosting from the warm cow poop.

After awhile he's his old self again and starts chirping away because he's nice and warm.

Then, the barn cat hearing all the chirping comes over to investigate, digs the little bird out and eats him.

The moral of the story is; If you are safe and warm even if you are in a pile of $hit, keep your mouth shut.

Not sure if that applies to your situation, but it's worth considering. JMO

some other possible lessons:

Not everyone who shits on you is your enemy.
Not everyone who gets you out of [censored] is your friend.

Posted By: tkuehn5410

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 01:34 AM

I have a situation similar to yours. I do a lot of the work at my lease, and last year two of the non-workers shot 2 and 3 year olds after we had decided to only shoot 4+ year old deer. I made such a fuss about the issue that when it came time for establishing new rules, they decided to go away with the 4+ rule and now they can shoot whatever they want.

I was pretty upset with this, but then I got to thinking and I concluded that I will let them shoot the little deer and I will be the one with a lot of trophy deer on the wall.

Someone has to shoot the little ones. If they shoot them, then it leaves only you to shoot the big boys.

Another option is to use trail cams on the feeders, and let them know what you see. Chances are that if they see the good deer on the cams, then they won't want to shoot the little deer because the upside is too great.

Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 02:28 AM

If you want to control the situation...buy your own place...otherwise you have two options...keep doin what your doin...any quit the bit9rin or stop doin it and just go out there and hunt like averyone else.

Do you have a RIGHT to get PO'd? NO! It is not your land. Would it aggravate me? Maybe...but I think I would have found out what the rules were before I did all the work you have done...

If you did not do this you have no room to complain!

Enjoy the op you have to hunt on land that you do not own. Do not do any of the additianal work...scout you tail off and get you a good buck each year.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 02:34 AM

The main thing to keep in mind, is that all this wisdom being batted around is coming from folks who are not in the same situation, and may have never been in the situation.

I am sure everyone will be on your side and tell you what a raw deal you got if you push things and get kicked off the place.

Which is more important to you, having things your way or having a place to hunt and peace in the family???

Posted By: mustafa

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 02:45 AM

why dont you go to the head honcho and offer to pay for the only hunting rights to the property. in my life i have found that the one thing that does the best talking is cold hard cash.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 02:48 AM

Quote:

Which is more important to you, having things your way or having a place to hunt and peace in the family???

Having peace in the family is the most important point that has been discussed. It is better to drop the issue and look for a lease than start a family "war" over something like this. These are your wife's relatives and your in-laws, whether you like it or not.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 04:20 AM

Frisbe...you can be in good Graces today and be a no count tomorrow. In my first response, I told you that you are in a "blood is thicker than water" situation. What is possible to happen, even though your wife doesn't really seem to like going to the ranch, is you could end up putting her in a position where it's choose betwen you and her family. That ain't healthy for either of you.

The most common themes I see here is talk to someone without making a huge deal out of it or accept it as it is and make the best of it. Last, is get your own lease.

Dogcatcher and CH are giving you the straight of it. Peace in the family is not too high a price to pay. JMO

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 10:07 AM

I totally agree with yall. That's why I have let it go for the past 4 years, I don't wanna stir the pot. I guess I'll just keep taking the kick in the nuts and let it go. Like yall said I have no room to complain. Its free.... Hard price to beat.

Posted By: cibolo

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 11:06 AM

that sounds like a tough situation, and family and land are always a fine balancing act. one thing i've noticed is that you seem to be very close with your wife's grandpa. and he must have the up most respect for you to let you have access to the place at any time it sounds like. that ol' boy want be around for ever so make sure to enjoy the time's you can with him and the deer hunting. because once the patriarch is gone the glove's usually come off and the next in line will really screw it up for everyone else that truly respected the place and appreciated what they had.

also, as far as the hunting goes. like others said on here about hunting your own secret spot. if these people are as lazy as it sounds they probably only hunt near the camp. so just set up way in the back of the place. heck most of them probably havn't seen the back of the place since they were kids driving around with grandpa.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 11:37 AM

Hold On, Don't just set back and take the kick to the cahones.

There has also been plenty of folks give you the good advice of finding yourself some place to hunt on the ranch that the other won't want to go to.

Stop trying to make the hunting good for everyone. Your the one there that likes to hunt the most, so set yourself up a spot and really work on that and for the rest of them, ask them to pony up for the feed, and if they do fill the other feeders.

If they are not willing to, just keep the feeder at your honey hole filled and running, and don't fill any of the others until the week or the Fri. before opening day.

Check their stands, but if something is wrong and it isn't a spot you would normally hunt, just tell them you haven't got the time or funds to get it fixed.

Just my opinion and an observation, but you sound like a decent enough sort, but you are all Gung-Ho about hunting, and your in-laws are not and evidently never have been. From you description of things sounds like all they want to do is shoot a deer and it don't matter to them what size deer they shoot.

How many days out of the season do all of them hunt? Every weekend, three or 4 times during the season.

You come into the family, have a keen interest in deer hunting, and work your butt off trying to improve the place for everyone and they still don't care.

Like someone else stated, put up a few game cams and show them pictures of what is walking around out there, get you a Honey Hole or two working and kill a couple of really good bucks and let them see proof positive that what you are trying to get done is working.

No one on here is telling you to keep taking the cahone kicking, I think all of us are trying to give you a view of all the parameters and the "What Could Happen".

It is highly possible that if you are in good graces with Grandpa, and you took him on a tour of the place when your down there working and with out being pushy showed him some of the stuff you are talking about and let him know in a non aggressive manner that you don't mind doing the work and want to try to go along with what the neighbors are doing to improve the quality of the deer coming on to the place, but that you need help.

Be patient with him, because he may still view deer as just something that comes and goes and does not really mean that much to him.

Also, most of us are trying to point out that even with the way the other family members are doing, you have a sweetheart of a deal, and between the family friction and the cost to get on a similar place, you need to really weigh out your options and proceed with caution.

JMO, and I wish you the best of luck this year and really hope that you can get something worked out so that you aren't having to carry the whole load for the whole family.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 12:16 PM

Yeah they hunt opening weekend, thanksgiving, and christmas when we are all down there. So its not like a every week deal. Thanks for all the advice guys. Ill get something worked out!!! Either way opening day is less than 2 weeks away!

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 02:24 PM

Best of Luck and I hope you get a deer big enough to convince those folks that you know what you are doing.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 03:01 PM

Ha! You and me both. Good luck to yall too!

Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 03:07 PM

YOU SAVED YOURSELF IN THAT LAST PARAGRAPH!!!

THE KEY TO IT ALL IS THAT IT IS NOT YOUR LAND AND THE WAY IT READS NOT EVEN YOUR WIFES LAND.
IF I GET TO HUNT FOR FREE (AND THERE ARE ANY DEER THERE)I'LL WORK MY BUTT OFF FOR FREE AND NOT COMPLAIN -AS LONG AS I DO GET TO HUNT!-
HECK WE DO QUITE A BIT OF WORK FOR OUR LAND OWNER WITH JUST HOPES THAT THE PRICE WON'T GO UP.

BOTTOM LINE QUIT CHUR _ITCHIN!!!

Posted By: cibolo

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 06:00 PM

he's just blowing off some steam about a situation that is hard to stomach. it isn't like a typical deer lease were you can go to the lease's ramrod and air out your problems.

CH, had a good idea about maybe riding around and going over some of his idea's with the grandpa. problem is though the grandpa or grandparents themselve's don't want to make anybody upset, and keeping an entire family happy is not an easy thing to do. it would probably go along way's if some of them just pitched in or showed some gratitude for his efforts.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 06:11 PM

THANK YOU!!!! Just kind of let out my frustrations on here. What brought this up is finding pics on my game cam of my wifes uncle and cousin trapping hogs in my trap then shooting them IN THE TRAP. Then dragging them out and leaving them between my blind and feeder. Just topped it off for me. But I'm over it for the most part. I've decided what I'm gonna do and I'll let yall know how it goes.

Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 08:42 PM

I have the answer: keep the blinds/feeders you have been servicing at their original location but don't fill the feeders. Put out new feeders/blinds in different location but hide them and tell no one. That way the family members hunt the old feeders and you hunt the new ones. Tellem you don't know why they haven't been seeing any deer/hogs while you blast away at your new "secret" hunting spot. Now that my friend is being clever.....

Posted By: Gator Killer

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 09:06 PM

Posted By: Dave Davidson

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 09:10 PM

Like others have said, find yourself a good place to hunt and go there. Let the rest take care of themselves. You have become, in my opinion, a family member too.

You could possibly get on a good lease with some good guys for the price and hassle of taking care of others.

Or, don't hunt opening weekend, Thanksgiving or XMAS. Come in after opening weekend and fill a couple of feeders where YOU want to hunt.

Posted By: BlackSnake

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 10:08 PM

You could become king of the hill if you'd play your cards right. Like most have said already, get yourself a spot out of sight from the other places. Mean while show Uncle Bob, cousin Larry and Grandpa Jones how you had fixed them up on some nice huntin spots. They will love ya for it.

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 10:27 PM

Quote:

You could become king of the hill if you'd play your cards right. Like most have said already, get yourself a spot out of sight from the other places. Mean while show Uncle Bob, cousin Larry and Grandpa Jones how you had fixed them up on some nice huntin spots. They will love ya for it.

thats where i am now, but they seem to think my spot is always better....(which it is)

Posted By: Gator Killer

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/21/08 10:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

thats where i am now, but they seem to think my spot is always better....(which it is)

Posted By: Dude Briggs

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/22/08 04:52 PM

I wish I had 1200 acres to hunt. I guess I will just have to buy the land myself and then set my own rules. Be grateful for the oppurtunity. JMO

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/22/08 05:22 PM

I am very grateful.... Just frustrated. it will work out

Posted By: remgenesis

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/22/08 10:13 PM

You might be able to explain game management to them and the and how it would benefit the hunting in the future, If you haven't done so already. or you could move the blinds to a not so ideal location.

Posted By: Dude Briggs

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/22/08 10:19 PM

The reason I say be greatful is that a couple of years ago I hunted on some land that was my in-laws out in Paducah Texas. This place was awesome, probably the best place I have ever hunted. My brother-in-law and I were able to make a couple of successful trips that year. The next year the family sold it. A lot of times we never realize what we have until we dont have it anymore. Enjoy the good times and just realize you are their guest.

Posted By: taco bender

Re: Am I over reacting?? or what? - 10/23/08 02:21 PM

I have an idea, just put a lock on your blind. and just have a key for your self.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum