Texas Hunting Forum

New here - good story

Posted By: mysavioreigns

New here - good story - 10/09/08 06:26 PM

Hello everyone. I’ve been on the fishing forum a little while, and am glad I found this forum too. I’ve hunted all my life, and have been lurking here for a while. I thought here’s a good post to start off with.

I talked to my grandpa a couple days ago. He said “yea, me and my buddy are going to go squirrel hunting.” Cool cool. Next day I call him and ask him how he did and he laughed for 10 minutes…He said he couldn’t find any shotgun shells as he was about to leave, so he said “ah well, I’ll just grab the .22” So they get out there, and it’s right around daybreak. They’re standing in the woods, but right off of a trail. As the sun as coming up, wouldn’t you know it, a big old hog comes trotting down the trail. Good thing he didn’t bring his shotgun, lol. He took the .22, aimed, clicked the safety, and the hog heard it. He turned and was about to run when BANG. Well, he kept running anyways. He searched for 2 hours for that thing before giving up. He said “well, I’ll just go back squirrel hunting.” 30 minutes later, while walking around in the woods, he just happened to walk right past it! 150 lbs. hog. This makes his 2nd hog he’s killed with a .22. The first was our trophy one at around 275 – 280 lbs.

Posted By: Savage

Re: New here - good story - 10/09/08 07:05 PM

Nice! Depending on the situation(what I had to climb) I might be a little nervous about being on the ground and shooting a hog with a .22, have heard stories of hogs taking multiple shots from much larger calibers and shaking it off.

Posted By: Bonehead

Re: New here - good story - 10/09/08 08:01 PM

Good story and tell gramps congrats! Welcome to the forum, we're glad you joined us!

Posted By: twice70

Re: New here - good story - 10/09/08 08:20 PM

Cool story. Welcome to the THF!

Posted By: RSTX

Re: New here - good story - 10/09/08 08:32 PM

I like your screen name. Good story as well.

Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: New here - good story - 10/09/08 09:31 PM

First off, I love your handle!! Secondly, welcome to the forum.

Posted By: Lawki

Re: New here - good story - 10/09/08 11:14 PM

Welcome to the the THF and good story. Where on the hog did he hit the hog to bring it down?

Posted By: mysavioreigns

Re: New here - good story - 10/10/08 12:07 AM

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

This particular hog was walking straight at him, and turned to run as he shot, so it kinda went in through the side of the neck, if that makes sense. Normally we take a .270 with us, as this place is crawling with them, but didn't have one this time.

© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum