Texas Hunting Forum

neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence

Posted By: nj123

neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 09:45 PM

We have a little place in Sheridan texas that we lease for deer. We have had it for the last 4 years. It front hwy 90, on the back end there is a county road, one side backs up to a wooded property and the other is a wide open field. Never really seen any neighbors hunting but this year there is and it is on the property with the open field! To make it worse he has his feeder right next to the fence where we drive everytime we are there and his blind points toward the feeder so he would be shooting over the fence at our road. He has a trailer and everything out on this open field hunting the fence line. Should I talk to him and tell him to move his blind? He is obviously limited to where he can put the feeder because he is hunting an open field with only woods on one side.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 09:50 PM

hammer this must be a pre season thread, every year we see one. Go talk to your neighbor adn see if he can be a good neighbor and move it is my thoughts.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By: BBD84
hammer this must be a pre season thread, every year we see one. Go talk to your neighbor adn see if he can be a good neighbor and move it is my thoughts.

That and good luck.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 09:58 PM

Quote:
Should I talk to him and tell him to move his blind?

You can talk with him, but he doesn't have to do anything, nothing illegal.

Going to be a long year! clap
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 09:58 PM

Talk to your GW, John he is a great guy and get his input on how to approach this.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 10:16 PM

I think someone on another post had the perfect answer...go and pee on his feeder and all around his stand...JUST KIDDING! Go talk to the guy...and as was said in a movie I can't remember the title of...Be Nice. Perhaps even offer to assist with moving the feeder so that he won't be shooting toward your property.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 10:49 PM

Burn the whole place down!! Yours and his, that"ll teach him.
Posted By: don k

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 10:51 PM

I quit talking a long time ago. Now I turn over the blinds.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 11:02 PM

i understand he has the right to hunt and I know the deer aren't my deer. Its just that its an open field which I always thought no one would hunt on and he is shooting right at us.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 11:37 PM

Originally Posted By: dgilbert
Quote:
Should I talk to him and tell him to move his blind?

You can talk with him, but he doesn't have to do anything, nothing illegal.

Going to be a long year! clap

Been down this road but now I have 8 blinds on my fenceline.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/22/13 11:55 PM

Jaw jaw is always better than war war.
Posted By: NewJeep

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 12:15 AM

High fence 100' on both sides of the feeder. That will teach him. Just kidding talk to him and voice your concerns. If he doesn't listen then make it your parking spot everyday during season. Or set a hog trap up right behind him and check it every morning. Make sure a big ole boar is in it come opening morning.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 12:16 AM

Or you could do a foodplot and feeder 50 yards in to your property. So he can see deer but just on wrong side

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 12:18 AM

I thought about putting a feeder right behind his but these days you never know how anyone is. He may be crazy and when Im walking in the dark I don't want to worry a crazy man is going to kill me haha

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 12:21 AM

I know a guy that went through this same thing and he drove down his sendero every morning putting 50lbs of corn down and parked at the very end just about where the other guys feeder was. I heard the other guy never even filled that feeder back up.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 12:24 AM

I mean he has the right to put his feeder on the fence. Theres not many trophy deer out there but my issue is hes shooting right into the road we drive down every time we are there. My mom and dad and nieces and nephews. I know the odds of him shooting us are bad but still.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 12:28 AM

Same thing we had. It is very unsafe. It is also illegal for his bullet to cross the fence line.
Posted By: Stub

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 12:53 AM

When ever you get a chance, you should always try and introduce yourself to anyone hunting any where close to you.

Talk to him, bet y'all work it out up
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 01:32 AM

Stop whining!
Posted By: JJH

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 01:42 AM

He's not whining. He's asking for help with an issue that is new to him. That's what this forum is for. No one is forcing you to read this thread. Why not just move on if you find it beneath you.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 01:45 AM

[quote=JJH]He's not whining. He's asking for help with an issue that is new to him. That's what this forum is for. No one is forcing you to read this thread. Why not just move on if you find it beneath you.
[/quote
You should also stop whining!
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 01:58 AM

Not trying to be confrontational, but I continue to hear this same or similar thread, "feeder is setup on fenceline" and shooting from blind will be into our place. I guess I'm having a hard time understanding how a feeder, 15 feet from the fence, presumably on his inner sendero, will guarantee or likely result in a shot onto your property. In South Texas, I have hunted many a fenceline, and don't feel that I fired any shots onto another's property; I cognizantly allowed any and all bucks to clear said fenceline before shooting any of them. Maybe I'm missing something here, please enlighten me.
Posted By: JJH

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 02:01 AM

Originally Posted By: scalebuster
[quote=JJH]He's not whining. He's asking for help with an issue that is new to him. That's what this forum is for. No one is forcing you to read this thread. Why not just move on if you find it beneath you.
[/quote

You should take a hike

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 02:13 AM

I know if I shot a deer out of that stand with either my .270 or.300 the bullet would cross property line.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 02:29 AM

so imagine that picture and a road you travel everytime you are there is right behind the fence. There is some thin bushes at the fence so he wouldn't be able to clearly see us coming like he would in the picture

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 02:35 AM

I am on t he road

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 02:42 AM

you are probably one of those neighbors on the fence line scalebuster. Im not whining just don't like the thought of my mom, dad, nieces and nephews even having a small chance of being shot at. Not worth it to me. If he had his blind in a position not to shoot at a road where my nieces and nephews would be riding 4 wheelers and playing I wouldn't have posted this... Even a small chance is enough for me.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 03:03 AM

I got you know nj123, that is definitely a dangerous setup and I'd have real reservations about anyone hunting like that on adjoining property to me. I was thinking more of a parallel to the fenceline blind/feeder setup, not perpendicular and obviously shooting towards your place. Not safe and really dangerous looking.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 03:33 AM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Not safe and really dangerous looking.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 03:33 AM

Way to add something constructive to the post? You wouldn't happen to have a lease next to nj123 would you? up

Stop whining!

Posted By: Ben Lilly

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: JJH
[/quote

You should take a hike

popcornboxingpopcorn
Posted By: BirdRanger

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 01:56 PM

I hear ya, I would first try and talk to him about it, helps if ya met the fella already..

If he agrees to move help the brother out and get him set up right, if possible.

If not and he tells ya to blow smoke, call GW and have him explain it.

I also believe there is a law called trespass by projectile and from the picture that has a definite possibility of happening, maybe ask GW or LEO about it, then have them explain it to the fine gentleman.
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 05:10 PM

hammer popcorn
Here we go again. This topic is a regular discussion item. I'll give this at least 10 pages of replies. bang

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 05:58 PM

Originally Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek
hammer popcorn
Here we go again. This topic is a regular discussion item. I'll give this at least 10 pages of replies. bang

I went to profile and changed the settings where I get 50 post on a page, it keeps the page counts to a reasonable amount. clap

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek
hammer popcorn

And yet you still clicked on it to read every post. It is off season and we are all bored.
back
Posted By: don k

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/23/13 10:51 PM

Turn his stand over.
Posted By: Grass Monster

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/24/13 06:47 PM

hard to prove, but if he shoots across your property line, he can be held criminally liable. will just have to see what happens. but your best bet is to try to talk with him.
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/24/13 11:35 PM

Talk to them first, if they don't want to move, I would have to put a stand right behind his feeder on your side and take several pictures of the set up, then let the GW know about it.
Posted By: MuddyWater

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/25/13 12:42 AM

Lmao. So true
Posted By: 10pointdoe

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/25/13 10:17 PM

You're gonna have to talk to the GW first. If you do anything at all your neighbor will call it hunter harassment and YOU will be the guilty party.
Posted By: 30incher

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/28/13 02:33 PM

Not sure about your feeders but to the people on here suggesting you should just corn the road on your side of the fence or put an opposing feeder up on your side - wouldn't you then be bringing deer from well inside your property out to the fence line? The feeders work both ways! I would be he would be glad you started corning your fence line so that he could see some of your deer that he has not seen/had a chance to shoot before.

30incher
Posted By: BenBob

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/28/13 02:54 PM

Rather have them set up their blind on the fenceline with them shooting into their own pasture than setting up the blind in the pasture and shooting back into my pasture.
Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 06/28/13 08:13 PM

His bullet cannot cross the property line. Contact the GW and he will take care of it. If you are leasing from the same owner you are sol unless the owner can talk to him.
Posted By: BoogerHook2012

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/01/13 11:14 AM

As said above contact GW. He cannot legally shoot a deer at his feeder the way it is set up. So why would he want to leave it in that position unless he is planning to break the law. By criminal trespass by projectile.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/01/13 11:21 AM

popcorn sleep2 stir flush
Posted By: ntxtrapper

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 06:37 AM

Originally Posted By: BoogerHook2012
As said above contact GW. He cannot legally shoot a deer at his feeder the way it is set up. So why would he want to leave it in that position unless he is planning to break the law. By criminal trespass by projectile.

Actually it is

Sec. 62.0121. DISCHARGE OF FIREARM ACROSS PROPERTY LINE. (a) In this section, "firearm" has the meaning assigned by Section 62.014(a).(b) A person commits an offense if:(1) the person, while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting, knowingly discharges a firearm; and(2) the projectile from the firearm travels across a property line.

and good luck proving it. You going to build some giant backstop or something and run over and check it after he shoots?
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 12:15 PM

Given the number of posts that pop up concerning hunting near fence lines, I suspect dealing with feuding hunters is one of the most common headaches for TPWD officers.
Posted By: Johnny Lobos

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 12:27 PM

Park your truck there as a backstop and leave the radio playing.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 12:49 PM

You could always try doing something like this...
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 01:59 PM

A mannequin dressed up in your clothes standing on your side of the fence. Set it up the night before opening day.
BTW, make sure the clothes are nice and smelly.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
A mannequin dressed up in your clothes standing on your side of the fence. Set it up the night before opening day.

You may have just hit on the next new gimmick for hunters to spend their money. It sounds no worse than gadgets that make the sound of a feeder going off.
Posted By: Csddarden

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 02:46 PM

Good article here about this, although I may be a bit biased becasue I was the main contributor to it....

http://issuu.com/lsoneditor/docs/aug2412?e=1710938/2723919
Posted By: BigCityHunting

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

You may have just hit on the next new gimmick for hunters to spend their money. It sounds no worse than gadgets that make the sound of a feeder going off.

Ha!! Love it.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 03:45 PM

Here are some pictures from the above article describing what we went through 2 seasons ago in Howard County.

Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

x2

Great idea Palehorse.
Posted By: LuckyHunter

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 04:34 PM

Go by you local barber shop and ask them to save the cut hair for a couple of weeks. Have them put is in a plastic bag.
Then buy a case of irish spring soap. Hang the soap on fence line or tree branches on your property. Sprinkle the hair along your fence line for scent to blow toward their feeder.

They will move their stand. peep

Posted By: Mfloski

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: SheepHunter
Go by you local barber shop and ask them to save the cut hair for a couple of weeks. Have them put is in a plastic bag.
Then buy a case of irish spring soap. Hang the soap on fence line or tree branches on your property. Sprinkle the hair along your fence line for scent to blow toward their feeder.

And then you become the guilty party that will be in trouble with the law.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 05:27 PM

Slingshot and moth balls would be a lot less work. up
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By: dogcatcher

Slingshot and moth balls would be a lot less work. up

Whatever you do, let him feed the deer for you over the next several months. Then, the night before opening day, do your deed.
One of the reasons I was thinking a manniquine would be cool would be the shock factor. Imagine, getting there before light, and as dawn breaks, seeing someone standing by your feeder. If he calls the game warden, so what. If I were a warden, I know which side I would take.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/02/13 08:22 PM

Personally, I would rather deal with the fence line hunters. We put blinds on the fence lines, if anyone wants to lease from the neighboring landowners, they know before they sign the lease that the blinds are there. Don't hunt them, but they are there.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 03:05 AM

Was more of a safety issue with us. Could care less if the blinds on the fence line. Heck, use a fence post as a blind leg for all I care, but shoot into your own property. I was way paranoid sitting at "the shack" blind. Kept thinking it was a matter of time before a bullet came tearing through the blind walls. Another THF member is now leasing that ranch and he tells me that it is now worse. Blind's shooting angle is now directly perpendicular to the fence now, straight out from that picture's view.
Posted By: Jay Brown

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 08:28 PM

Have dealt with this issue on my own property. We tried 2 different methods.
1. we would park our truck out of the line of fire but within 75 yards of the feeder. Then we would have our secretary at the office call us every 25 minutes on the truck phone which would ring the truck horn. This was opening day! no one hunted the stand until just before Christmas. After seeing someone go into the stand one afternoon, we took a boom box and played "Rap Crap" on it till after dark ! The blind , feeder and all were gone in one week! Sometimes actions speak louder than words!
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 08:36 PM

I do believe Mr. GW and I would have had a little sit down and discussed possible hunter harassment charges...
Posted By: newulmboy

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Trout-killer
I do believe Mr. GW and I would have had a little sit down and discussed possible hunter harassment charges...

Its about impossible in Colorado County to prove hunter harassment unless the Game Warden is sitting in the blind with you, which they wont do. Ive tried, been trying to 10+ years. Its ridiculous.

But back to the OP, talk with the guy first. If it doesnt help then contact the game warden. I work in Sheridan, and in the process of buying a house between Sheridan and Halletsville on 90A. Some of the people around here can be difficult to talk to. Good luck.

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: newulmboy

Its about impossible in Colorado County to prove hunter harassment unless the Game Warden is sitting in the blind with you, which they wont do. Ive tried, been trying to 10+ years. Its ridiculous.

But back to the OP, talk with the guy first. If it doesnt help then contact the game warden. I work in Sheridan, and in the process of buying a house between Sheridan and Halletsville on 90A. Some of the people around here can be difficult to talk to. Good luck.

You don't ask him to do this as work but come out for a hunt on his day off up

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Trust me, Ive tried. Since we own the land, I told him he could hunt or fish anytime he wanted. Guess he already has a honey hole elsewhere!!!!!!!

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Trust me, Ive tried. Since we own the land, I told him he could hunt or fish anytime he wanted. Guess he already has a honey hole elsewhere!!!!!!!

Must not be John then...lol

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 09:20 PM

No, but John did stop me once. Good guy, very strict though. We mainly get stopped by Gilbert (Sonny) Alaniz (Austin County) since we are on the border of Colorado and Austin.
Posted By: dknsurvey

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 09:24 PM

Some farmer here around our house has one of these things set up in a watermelon patch that he uses EVERY spring for about THREE months long which only goes off at NIGHT...

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/M...ct_Code=WCSRJM8

Plant you same daisies or daffodils, or mabey something more agricultural; surely you dont want the rabbits and coons and squirrels eating it all up right?... set it on its lowest setting so it only spooks close critters away.

LOL That'll teach him
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/03/13 10:00 PM

That sucks. Surely you can video what's going on and take it to different GW's. I'm sure one will bite.

Edit: I'm sure you've done that. Lol.
Posted By: lp243

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/04/13 10:02 PM

Ask the guy to move his stand ,leaving his feeder where it is, so he would be shooting down the fence line instead of over it.once he understands your concerns he probably will move it .if not just hang a pair of ole dirty socks on the fence by his feeder
Posted By: Texas Bohunk

Re: neighbor set up on fence line with blind shooting at fence - 07/12/13 04:52 PM

I believe Texas Legislature passed a law making it illegal to shoot across a fence line. Might want to check into it.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum