Texas Hunting Forum

Is it true??

Posted By: ABG79

Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:17 PM

I had an old Rancher in west texas tell me that hogs will kill and eat rattle snakes? Is this true?
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:18 PM

Feral hogs will kill and eat anything that does not kill and eat them first.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ if they get hungry enough. They don't single out snakes in particular to eat though.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:21 PM

Im now awaiting the dumb email that hogs are causing rattlesnakes not to rattle.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Brother in-law
Im now awaiting the dumb email that hogs are causing rattlesnakes not to rattle.

Only those that get eaten. They won't rattle again. up
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:26 PM

It will be sent by someone that was home schooled.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: DiverTexas

And they will probably be driving a lifted, jazzed up, camo wrapped truck with a pit bull in the back. stir
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:30 PM

I just started my timer. Or Hogs will scare off any Coons in a 50 mile radius
Posted By: GLC

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:35 PM

Used to know an old timer that every time he found a rattle snake den on his land he would put a fence around it and put hogs in. He said that always took care of his rattle snake problems.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:48 PM

i knew a guy once that had a bunch of pigs and ran some unlicensed boxing in london. he never had a problem getting rid of bodies.

always be wary of a pig farmer.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

And they will probably be driving a lifted, jazzed up, camo wrapped truck with a pit bull in the back. stir

Sounds about spot on.. popcorn

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy

Sounds about spot on.. popcorn

And eating popcorn popcorn
Posted By: Play Maker

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:53 PM

And recent graduate from Tarleton. Sorry, couldn't help it.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Stxranchman

Well with popcorn I meet one requirement grin

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Stxranchman

Well with popcorn I meet one requirement grin

DB bolt peep

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:01 PM

Guess Ill just have to become an all out sellout like the rest.. get me a cammo wrap big tires and replacement bumpers and a winch to drive to my job in the big city. And then buy a 15k utv and complain that I cant afford my deer lease so I can meet the other requirements?
Posted By: ABG79

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:05 PM

So are they immune to the venom or what?

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:05 PM

Originally Posted By: ABG79

Its a crock please disregard post

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:09 PM

Dogs and other wildlife get bit and they don't die a lot of the time. A hog is thick skinned with long hair and hard head. So They might get struck but not going to really effect them as much I would think.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:10 PM

Guess Ill just have to become an all out sellout like the rest.. get me a cammo wrap big tires and replacement bumpers and a winch to drive to my job in the big city. And then buy a 15k utv and complain that I cant afford my deer lease so I can meet the other requirements?

Just make sure it is not a diesel truck since that would really set off the radar.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:17 PM

... but I needs one to pull my bass boat!grin
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:18 PM

You think the rattlesnakes not rattling because of pigs is funny, I had a guy tell me on another forum that it was because of the roundups. Yep, rattlers stopped rattling because they learned that got them put in a tote sack and carried off.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:19 PM

DB you can do that with a yota 6 cyl grin Pot meet kettle roflmao

Re: Is it true?? - 05/02/13 07:25 PM

DB you can do that with a yota 6 cyl grin Pot meet kettle roflmao

I good and well know what color I is!
Posted By: janie

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 12:26 AM

Shoot both and it eliminates any questions.
Posted By: Brock77

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 02:54 AM

Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 03:03 AM

Dogs and other wildlife get bit and they don't die a lot of the time. A hog is thick skinned with long hair and hard head. So They might get struck but not going to really effect them as much I would think.

Plus, venomous snakes do not inject venom every time they strike, and animals, like people, can learn to catch to a snake without getting bit "most of the time".

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Colt W. Knight

Plus, venomous snakes do not inject venom every time they strike, and animals, like people, can learn to catch to a snake without getting bit "most of the time".

I am not going to take any chances on getting bit and rely on the venom not being bit/injeted "most of the time". I will let someone else be that guinea pig.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 03:21 AM

I am not going to take any chances on getting bit and rely on the venom not being bit/injeted "most of the time". I will let someone else be that guinea pig.

I am not saying that you should, but luckily, for folks who do get bit, there is a chance.

According to the Texas Department of Health,

7,000 people bitten by poisonous snakes annually in the USA.
0.2% of he cases are fatal
~50% are dry bites
~1-2 people die in Texas every year from snake bites.

I wish they provided some morbidity statistics as well.

While hogs don't have the benefit of antivenom or doctors, I would imagine they are more robust in withstanding a venomation than humans.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 03:30 AM

I am still not taking a chance on that 50-50 deal though. I know which end of that deal I will get with my luck hammer The chance of getting bit and surviving is going to be much better due to there being a higher number of medical facilities with easier and faster access by people today than in years past. My grandfather got bit when he was a young boy while chopping cotton. He spent almost a month in the hospital around 1910 due to the time it took them to get him to a hospital.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 03:37 AM

I am still not taking a chance on that 50-50 deal though. I know which end of that deal I will get with my luck hammer The chance of getting bit and surviving is going to be much better due to there being a higher number of medical facilities with easier and faster access by people today than in years past. My grandfather got bit when he was a young boy while chopping cotton. He spent almost a month in the hospital around 1910 due to the time it took them to get him to a hospital.

I never advocated getting bit or handling snakes. Just stating some facts to help explain how hogs could deal with snake bites in the wild.

But now that I think about it, Texas Ranchers are probably causing snake bites for trying to extinct the population of prairie dogs and over grazing. You know, like a karma thing.
Posted By: WestTex325

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 03:44 AM

I remember when I was a kid we had some puppies in a barn not even 3 weeks old. 2 of the puppies got bit on the head and they both lived. There is not a doubt in my mind that a feral hog can handle a rattlesnake bite.

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 03:47 AM

I never advocated getting bit or handling snakes. Just stating some facts to help explain how hogs could deal with snake bites in the wild.

But now that I think about it, Texas Ranchers are probably causing snake bites for trying to extinct the population of prairie dogs and over grazing. You know, like a karma thing.

You're not from Texas are you? grin
Posted By: splash556

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 12:14 PM

Originally Posted By: janie
Shoot both and it eliminates any questions.

The most sensible statement in this thread.
Posted By: Varget 7-08

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 12:26 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse
I knew a guy once that had a bunch of pigs and ran some unlicensed boxing in london. he never had a problem getting rid of bodies.

clap clap
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 12:39 PM

Read this the other day. Crazy!

Wild hogs are “opportunistic omnivores,” meaning they’ll eat most anything. They’ll devour or destroy whole fields—of sorghum, rice, wheat, soybeans, potatoes, melons and other fruits, nuts, grass and hay. Farmers planting corn have discovered that the hogs go methodically down the rows during the night, extracting seeds one by one.

Hogs erode the soil and muddy streams and other water sources, possibly causing fish kills. They disrupt native vegetation and make it easier for invasive plants to take hold. The hogs claim any food set out for livestock, and occasionally eat the livestock as well, especially lambs, kids and calves. They also eat such wildlife as deer and quail and feast on the eggs of endangered sea turtles.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/A-Plague-of-Pigs-in-Texas.html#ixzz2SEU1x5ur
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 12:43 PM

Any animal that is as prolific as hogs is a survivor. To be a survivor it cannot be picky about what it eats.

I gutted a feral hog a while back that had a Walmart plastic bag in it's gut.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 12:58 PM

Any animal that is as prolific as hogs is a survivor. To be a survivor it cannot be picky about what it eats.

Well I've seen a few feral hogs shopping at Walmart. Saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's, and his hair was perfect. Ahhwooooo!
Posted By: crstfr

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 01:04 PM

i knew a guy once that had a bunch of pigs and ran some unlicensed boxing in london. he never had a problem getting rid of bodies.

love that movie mang~....great quote!
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN

Well I've seen a few feral hogs shopping at Walmart. Saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's, and his hair was perfect. Ahhwooooo!
up cheers
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Is it true?? - 05/03/13 11:04 PM

Short people problems...
Posted By: BTL

Re: Is it true?? - 05/04/13 02:36 AM

Don't agree with the snake theory, but pigs will take advantage of any opportunity to eat. The last pig I shot came in full speed trying to find the distressed rabbit call I was using for coyote hunting.
Posted By: Cool_Hand

Re: Is it true?? - 05/04/13 02:46 AM

Well, believe it because its true.
Posted By: smh264

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 06:02 AM

How do the rattlers get the word to each other about not using their rattles as a warning after the hogs take over? Email? Texts?
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 12:25 PM

Quote:

You think the hog ate a Wal-Mart?

Quote:

No, it really isn't.

Quote:
How do the rattlers get the word to each other about not using their rattles as a warning after the hogs take over? Email? Texts?

Actually, the process would be behavioral and evolutionary. The ones that typically would not rattle much would be the survivors and hence the reproducers. HOWEVER, no studies have found that snakes are rattling less, but hogs and snake hunting have been attributed to this problem. In reality, rattlesnakes often do NOT rattle. Scary as it sounds, folks likely pass by these snakes with a much higher frequency than they realize because they don't always rattle unless threatened and don't always consider proximity to be a threat.

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/snakes/a/Rattlesnakes-Not-Rattling.htm
http://www.bentoncourier.com/content/hahn-myth-silent-rattlesnake
Posted By: highlonesome1

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 05:43 PM

I havn't heard a snake rattle in a couple years. We don't have hogs. I have killed several.
Posted By: skinnerback

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 06:56 PM

whip crying
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Varget 7-08
I knew a guy once that had a bunch of pigs and ran some unlicensed boxing in london. he never had a problem getting rid of bodies.

clap clap

Originally Posted By: crstfr

love that movie mang~....great quote!

thank ya thank ya...my favorite movie of all time.

Originally Posted By: Cool_Hand

really? really guy??
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 07:18 PM

Yes it is true
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 07:31 PM

I think there was a post earlier about a feral hog getting married recently.
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 07:58 PM

Which direction is this thread headed? Or is it already in Scatterville? grin
Posted By: retfuz

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 09:17 PM

I always heard the rattlebugs used morse code with their rattles.
Posted By: RICK O'SHAY

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: retfuz
I always heard the rattlebugs used morse code with their rattles.

This is true ! "Chik chik chik..... BUZZZZZZZ"
means,
"Hey fred watch me scare the dookie out of this guy, BOO!"
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Is it true?? - 05/06/13 09:33 PM

I beat the hogs to them....rattlersnake is good stuff
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Is it true?? - 05/07/13 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Big Orn
Which direction is this thread headed? Or is it already in Scatterville? grin
Scatterville Orn. But it's a funny thread.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum