Texas Hunting Forum

Solar power conversion?

Posted By: 750SOHC

Solar power conversion? - 03/29/13 10:13 PM

Has anyone converted an older game camera to solar power? I have an older Bushnell that works great, but it eats up the D cells. I was wondering if it was possible to convert it to solar. Any suggestions or instructions would be appreciated. Pictures are even better.
Posted By: TimOub007

Re: Solar power conversion? - 03/30/13 01:23 PM

Go look at chasingame.com. You'll likely find that you can do it easily but will have to use a feeder battery of some sort and the correct cable. Many good members and dealers there to help out.

T
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Solar power conversion? - 03/30/13 02:40 PM

The answer is yes most likely...and it is pretty simple. I have never had a game camera run on internal batteries.

What model Bushnell?
Posted By: GLC

Re: Solar power conversion? - 03/30/13 02:51 PM

4 D cells? = 6 volt
PM me and I will help you out. 6 volt solar panel and a 6 volt rechareable feeder battery.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Solar power conversion? - 03/30/13 03:04 PM

My cameras have an external power plug. I don't have any on solar now by I ran a Moultrie with a Moultrie solar panel in the past. The directions had you leaving batteries in it but most of the power was supplied by the solar panel.
Posted By: 750SOHC

Re: Solar power conversion? - 03/30/13 08:40 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I can't remember the model off the top of my head. But I know one of the sister models they made had an external port.
Posted By: sillyhorses

Re: Solar power conversion? - 03/30/13 08:44 PM

I Mac-Gyver all my cameras. If they don't already have a external battery jack. Take 'em apart and connect wires to the internal positive/negatives. Run them to a 6 volt feeder battery, hooked to a solar charger. Make tight, solid connections and be gentle with the waterproof gaskets & the cameras should run indefinately. At least in a perfect world!
Posted By: baileyTexas

Re: Solar power conversion? - 04/01/13 02:09 AM

Not yet
Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: Solar power conversion? - 04/05/13 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: sillyhorses
I Mac-Gyver all my cameras. If they don't already have a external battery jack. Take 'em apart and connect wires to the internal positive/negatives. Run them to a 6 volt feeder battery, hooked to a solar charger. Make tight, solid connections and be gentle with the waterproof gaskets & the cameras should run indefinately. At least in a perfect world!

i did the same thing. works great.
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Solar power conversion? - 04/05/13 06:20 PM

We run most power gates in the Hill Country on 5 watt solar screens, if really heavy use a 10 watt screen on a deep cycle inland marine battery..If you guys have some gate operator installers and dealers in your area, they may have some older screens that they took down that will work well on a 6VDC system.
As they age they tend to loose power..so if they show about 30miliVolts, new they may down to 18 as they age..and that will still power 6vdc batteries for years..DD
Posted By: MathMan

Re: Solar power conversion? - 04/07/13 08:26 PM

My old D-40 moultrie ate my batteries so badly that the 12v gel cell battery and solar panel couldn't keep up. The battery would still go dead. It took 6 dcell batteries and they would only last 2 weeks. About 400 pics. If yours takes about the same amount of pics on a set of batteries it might not keep up. With the external 12v it would last about a month.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Solar power conversion? - 04/07/13 11:03 PM

Originally Posted By: MathMan
My old D-40 moultrie ate my batteries so badly that the 12v gel cell battery and solar panel couldn't keep up. The battery would still go dead. It took 6 dcell batteries and they would only last 2 weeks. About 400 pics. If yours takes about the same amount of pics on a set of batteries it might not keep up. With the external 12v it would last about a month.

There was something else going on with that camera...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum