Texas Hunting Forum

empty shelves at academy

Posted By: sillyhorses

empty shelves at academy - 12/20/12 07:54 PM

Jeez, I was just at Academy in Victoria and the ammo selection was pretty slim. Groups of people standing there all looking for their certain calibers most of which were sold out. No-one knows whats going to happen with new laws, so they were all stocking. I'm sure the stores like to cut their inventory this time of year, but this was empty shelves.
Posted By: DENTPUSHA

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/20/12 08:00 PM

Yupp same around my way too.
Posted By: buck-snort

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/20/12 08:40 PM

Isn't the focus only on assault weapons. I am not following why such a mad rush to buy guns & ammo
Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/20/12 10:03 PM

Because paranoia does not limit itself.
Posted By: ETXhiker

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/20/12 10:06 PM

Went to buy some .223 ammo at lunch today. The store I usually buy from was sold out. The second store had ammo, but a long line. I don't really expect them to try to ban any kind of ammo, but with the bunch in Washington, you never know. They have surprised me in the past with their audacity and emotions are running high right now.
Posted By: tufffish

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/20/12 10:07 PM

i think it was when he was 1st put in as president he had the military grinding their spent cases and caused a shortage of ammo, not only for the public, but for the military. no telling what will happen this time.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 12:37 AM

1) Yep, we've crushed lots of military brass and shipped it off to other countries rather than release it for sale to our own citizen re-loaders, and 2) there's a fear of some sort of extreme tax on ammo as a "back-door" form of firearms control.
Posted By: Team By-God

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 12:45 AM

I always think about that one politician that was talking like they finally figured out how to solve all the gun violence. He said they figured out that guns dont kill people, bullets do... Elected morons..
Posted By: texasdude28

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 03:26 AM

I went to pick up a gun from my gunsmith, place was packed. They sold over 40,000 rounds of .223 this week and over 200 handguns just this week. People are paranoid.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 12:04 PM

I wouldnt call it paranoid i would call it planning ahead. The goverment will screw us if it get the slightest chance.
Posted By: Stub

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 12:53 PM

I went to academy in Plano off the tollway Wednesday night, not an AR or any kind of semi auto rifle or shotgun on display?
Posted By: Trout-killer

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 01:35 PM

I was at academy 2 days ago. Shelves were full of ammo. Some was bought out but nothing out of the norm. Looked like any other time.

I was actually looking for shells to dove/snipe hunt with while I was duck hunting and was pleasantly surprised at the selection that was there.
Posted By: urbnat

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 02:18 PM

What I can't figure out is what is driving everyone to go out and purchase all these guns only to fill out paperwork that is turned in to the government and filed. If there is a ban and a call to collect guns, all these people buying guns are right there listed for the government to see and then they know who to come to. I know you can claim you gifted or sold the guns and that they will have to pry your guns from your cold dead hands, but why bring the unnecessary attention to yourself by buying lots of guns from liscenced firearms dealers that report to the feds?

And as far as ammo goes, they are currently trying to ban lead. If you stock up on lots and lots of ammo and they ban lead, any time you get caught using lead bullets, you are breaking the law. But, like the gun dealers are saying around here, they hope all this talk keeps up, it has been a boom for their business. Better than any sale they can offer.
Posted By: wrknonit

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 02:41 PM

acting without thinking. happened in 2008, THEY WERE SUPPOSEDLY GONNA TAKE OUR GUNS THEN, and NOTHING HAPPENED. People just need to calm the heck down. Your only hurting yourselves with thius rush of panic buying, and encouraging some of these vulture-like merchants to jack up prices in response to peoples panic. DONT'T DO IT. CALM DOWN.
texas
Posted By: pcernuch

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 02:42 PM

went to get some peanut oil at academy in lewisville after work yesterday. it wasnt a bad as i was expecting and i HATE crowds.

god bless.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 02:51 PM

I agree with you Urbnat. Why purchase any gun, which may soon be illegal to own, if one fills out a buyers purchase order with your complete address & life history documented and turned over to the Feds? Unless you buy a private seller (unregistered) gun, I don't see the point. I'm thinking, and hoping, the anti's are only going after assault & auto handguns. But how do you trust the monkeys in washington? My feelings are that four years from now, we well never recognize the rights & freedoms that we once had here living in what once was the "good old U.S.ofA." And for the average hunter just wanting to buy a box of .243 shells at the store it makes things tough.
Posted By: MrLucas

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 03:09 PM

Shelves were low in Corpus, but not quite depleted. Just looked like a busy day.
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 04:18 PM

Although I did buy two new Glock 19's, I did it more because I wanted too than any fear guns are going away. I don't believe any bans will take place because of this last horrific incident, but I do believe back ground checks may become more tedious and waiting periods may be longer.
Posted By: ETXhiker

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 06:10 PM

My belief, is that some form of the AWB is coming back, seeing as how it was already being talked about before the horrific shootings this week. People are buying things they expect to be banned in the hopes that they won't have the nerve to confiscate guns already purchased. Time will tell.

The ban may not happen at all. But it isn't paranoia to think it is a strong possibility. The choice you have to make, is which possibility to gamble on.
Posted By: LarryT

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
1) Yep, we've crushed lots of military brass and shipped it off to other countries rather than release it for sale to our own citizen re-loaders, and 2) there's a fear of some sort of extreme tax on ammo as a "back-door" form of firearms control.

I agree. something is going to happen. Plus a big tax on all ammo
Posted By: LarryT

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 08:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hoytman
I wouldnt call it paranoid i would call it planning ahead. The goverment will screw us if it get the slightest chance.

Yep, This government anyway
Posted By: ScooterG

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 09:00 PM

Concern for our future is real. On top of that, when have you seen prices on ammo ever go down?
If we get a huge tax on ammo it will not stop mentally ill folks from cracking!
Posted By: caddokiller

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 09:23 PM

Most of the people pistols are buying guns with large capacity magazines that will get banned with the assault weapons
Posted By: AlaskaCub

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 09:25 PM

Those exact same words were said exactly 4 years ago to this day, the shelves were emptied and the only hardship experienced by anyone was those that didnt anticipate the level of hoarding that took place! They found themselves looking at empty shelves. What really happened......absolutely nothing, other than Americans keeping other Americans from being able to enjoy a hobby!
Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 09:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

yep, got that right.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 09:49 PM

Yeah, many people who have been "on the fence" about buying a new gun or a first gun are rapidly getting off the fence and to the gun stores.
Posted By: Savage388

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/21/12 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: sillyhorses
I agree with you Urbnat. Why purchase any gun, which may soon be illegal to own, if one fills out a buyers purchase order with your complete address & life history documented and turned over to the Feds? Unless you buy a private seller (unregistered) gun, I don't see the point. I'm thinking, and hoping, the anti's are only going after assault & auto handguns . But how do you trust the monkeys in washington? My feelings are that four years from now, we well never recognize the rights & freedoms that we once had here living in what once was the "good old U.S.ofA." And for the average hunter just wanting to buy a box of .243 shells at the store it makes things tough.

Here are a couple of "Assault Weapons and Auto Handguns" to look at.

But those aren't assult weapons you say!!!! Oh but they are!!! They function the exact same way as my Glock, AR15s and Mini 14s. It is people like yourself that will "settle" for a gun ban that may not affect you that gives these idiots the votes to make it happen. Just because your gun dosen't look like what the media says is an "evil, weapon of mass destruction, only useful for unprovoked war against a backward nation" dosen't mean it doesn't kill just as dead or function just the same. You are drinking the kool aid my friend, and you will soon be asking for seconds.
Posted By: Snmcc

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/22/12 12:50 PM

I should have bought an upper I was waiting until after Christmas to get last week. No online retailer has anything.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/22/12 04:56 PM

L.O.L. , Not a koolaide drinker, or even a sipper. But, the writing is on the wall and even though NONE of us like it, I'm afraid this time somethings going to happen. The chips are being stacked against the guns.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/22/12 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: AlaskaCub

Those exact same words were said exactly 4 years ago to this day, the shelves were emptied and the only hardship experienced by anyone was those that didnt anticipate the level of hoarding that took place! They found themselves looking at empty shelves. What really happened......absolutely nothing, other than Americans keeping other Americans from being able to enjoy a hobby!

The world is a different place now. Obama has no one to fear because he doesn't have to worry about getting re-elected. "Assault rifles" are a hot topic right now because of the shooting in CT, Democrats are going to go after them. Remember, more people in this country were dumb enough to vote for Obama again after a crappy economy the last 4 years than wanted him out of office. The conservative individuals in this country have become a minority. I don't like it, but I'm not gonna pretend it doesn't exist.
Posted By: longgunner

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/22/12 08:02 PM

If the houses plan b could not get enough votes to avoid the fiscal cliff, not sure how another asb law or tax on ammo has any chance of making it thru the house. My guess is that it will a state by state ban. God bless TX.
Posted By: aeb

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/22/12 10:24 PM

Same old same old!!!
Posted By: Flashprism

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/24/12 02:00 PM

All I can say is I am surprised at how passive some of you folks are. The 2nd amendment was established by men whose lives were at risk at the time to ensure our ability to resist the oppression of the Goverment. We must not allow our rights and the rights of our children and grand children to be ignored. I am not saying we need to go in the streets but we better dam well keep a united front against this onslaught. If you havnt you better join the NRA as soon as possible. I have been a gun owner for over 50 years. I quess my guns are defective for they havnt ever harmed anyone nor will they unless someone attempts to harm me or my family. I dont blame the fork for my being oever weight. It's the same dumb logic with respect to guns. We must support the initiatives to keep guns out of the hands of mentally defective people. Not honest and decent americans who have a god given reight to protect themselves.
Posted By: Mfloski

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/24/12 10:40 PM

Think anyone thought like this just prior to the ban becoming law in 94?? To say nothing will happen cause "nothing happened in the last 4 yrs" is crazy talk. Since when do politicians not change thier mind or position on issues?? So for all the haters that choose to believe that they will always be able to run down to the gun shop and get an AR with a 30 rnd clip and/or ammo at a reasonable price.... Just keep ignoring the warning signs, just don't come begging at my door for a couple rounds or gun much less cause you ain't getting any!
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/24/12 10:42 PM

Ammo sites.

www.cheaperthandirt.com

www.sportsmansguide.com
Posted By: Mfloski

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/24/12 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: longgunner
If the houses plan b could not get enough votes to avoid the fiscal cliff, not sure how another asb law or tax on ammo has any chance of making it thru the house. My guess is that it will a state by state ban. God bless TX.
. Ugh ever hear of Executive Order??? Obama loves it and that's prolly enough in the world we live in today!
Posted By: grasshopperglock

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/24/12 11:58 PM

I went to the one in RR. LOL...they were stripped to bare, with a line of folks buying what guns they had left. Which was a few 22's and shotguns.

They had plenty handguns though.

There wasn't a 223 in the place. the same thing with the walmart in RR. NO 223 to be found
Posted By: George Garvin

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/25/12 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight

Note that everything is out of stock unless you want to buy small quantity premium ammo that sells for a premium.
I was speaking primarily of .223 ammo, but I noticed bulk .40, .45 is getting harder to find also.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/25/12 07:55 PM

I checked three different academy's over the past weekend, all were put of most ammo and the gun cases looked bare. We saw this before in 2008, it will all blow over in a couple of months. I'm glad I was stocking up months ago.
Posted By: TF Panther

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/25/12 10:06 PM

Originally Posted By: MikeBillington

yep, got that right.

Well, the guy currently in charge did once propose of a 500% tax on ammo while in the Illinois Senate. So what you call paranoia some might call foresight. I mean, who would ever use a national tragedy to further a political agenda they have been after for 50 years?
Posted By: HOF

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/25/12 10:08 PM

Wichita Falls Academy and Walmart were out of ammo on Christnmas Eve. I was able to get a box of cheap 9mm at wally world bit that was all they had.
Posted By: brent1

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 02:24 AM

Guess i need to grab a box or two of what i need just to make sure im stocked up
Posted By: janie

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 02:33 AM

I was in Academy and CTD on Sunday. Shelves are looking kinda nekkid. No .223 ammo. Guess there is one advantage to being skinny. I crawled thru one of the bins and shoved way in the back, was one lone box of .223

Bill's Christmas present.

Hang in there fellas. Sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.

We're all going to survive this.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: janie

Oh, we'll survive alright, just minus AR's and high cap magazines and who knows how many other semi-auto's will be on the list.

I would be optimistic as well, if not for so many in our fellow hunters that agree with the position of, "who needs an AR and 30 rd magazines (popular term "clip") to hunt with!

It's coming, unless we all stand firm and not roll over and give in!
Posted By: Eland Slayer

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

Oh, we'll survive alright, just minus AR's and high cap magazines and who knows how many other semi-auto's will be on the list.

I would be optimistic as well, if not for so many in our fellow hunters that agree with the position of, "who needs an AR and 30 rd magazines (popular term "clip") to hunt with!

Exactly....people need to learn to put their differences of opinion aside and stand together. Strength in numbers people!!

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Jimbo

The media is lumping the "Semi Auto" in an all encompassing format. You know semi autos like the 11-87 and 1911. Words have meaning. Also they are going to push this as far as they can while they still have national sympathy. Deceased children can soften the hardest hearts in Congress.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 05:29 PM

The 2nd Ammendment was never about hunting rights (or the need for this gun or that for a little deer) contrary to the reports of many so called journalist and politicians.
Posted By: janie

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 06:46 PM

Well. The media can kiss my tail. I think some of you missed my point.

We will survive. But only if........

We make our voice heard. Spouting off here doesn't cut it, although it does make me feel better. smile

Join the NRA. Write your local rep and you can also go here and let them know.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitio...rogram/zDkJjQ12
Posted By: RLoving1

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 07:18 PM

OK we are by in large a competent group on here when it comes to firearms and or archery on this site! Does it disturb or even cross some of our minds the fact that their are some mindless sheep of the human race out purchasing firearms? We see them at gunshows and the greedy gunshow hawkers sell to them ...seen them sell to "homeboy" holding the weapon up siting down the side!We worry about ammo!? Really!? I worry about what gun shops are arming and setting loose all in pursuit of a dollar! confused
Posted By: Savage388

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 07:24 PM

Until that "homeboy" becomes a felon or convicted of Family Violence, he has just as much right as you and I to have his gun. It's called a right because of the Second Amendment. I've told many young cops "Turd heads have rights too. If you don't think so, violate a few and see where you end up."
Posted By: DocBailey

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/26/12 08:32 PM

X2
Posted By: Stump_jumper

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 07:00 PM

Not sure what was up in Wal Mart in Rockwall. Went to pick up a few things the day after Xmas and not a single gun in the cabinet. I thought maybe it was just the Xmas buying spree and had not restocked. Shelves were about half full throughout the whole store.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 08:25 PM

Out of curiosity I just went to academy. Wow! is all I can say.
Posted By: bruton1

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 08:27 PM

Instead of more guns I bought more reloading supply's
Posted By: TyBU

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 08:27 PM

The reason the shelves are looking bare in the Ammo section is because everybody out there is loading up. Academy has the orders out there for more ammo but they are at the mercy of the vendors on when they will get it. More ammo will be hitting the shelves in the next couple of weeks.
Posted By: Payne

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 08:28 PM

I was at the one in Victoria yesterday. They had 45 GAP, 357 sig, 45 LC and 22mag ammo plus the shotgun shells.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 08:29 PM

I'm thinking of trading all my guns for guns of the same caliber. 25-06 might be my choice. Might be easier to find ammo.
lol
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

x2

Went Thursday/lunchtime:
- centerfire ammo bare, and nothing but shotguns and 22 plinkers left in long-guns Behind the counters;
-not to many people at gun counter;

Went again today - Friday/lunchtime: - P A C K E D !!
- hardly any center-fire ammo, and NOW most buckshot and slugs are gone from shelves as well . . .. .;
- counters - PACKED with people, buying up the last of the shotguns and handguns.

Crazy man! . . . never seen the Academy look so bare . . . .

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 10:16 PM

Went to Academy in Lewisville today after lunch. Packed. Lots of deer centerfire left. 30=06, 300 Win etc. No 223/5.56 not even a box of Wolf. Some 7.62 x 39 left....suprise. had lots of 9mm in case someone is looking. A few shotguns and 22's on gun rack about it. Prob only about 20% of their guns left. Handguns seemed to be in the case and people were lined up to buy them. Probly 25 people at the gun counter.......
Posted By: tannerlst

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 10:27 PM

I found 3 boxes of hornady 55grain vmax .223 today. Only .223 there
Posted By: cmc

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 11:06 PM

Just left academy in Arlington and it wasn't bad. I walked up grabbed a box .40s and a holster and walked to counter. There was a few of three or four different kinds of .223 and about any pistol caliber but I didn't see much 9mm but wasn't looking either.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/28/12 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: oldoak2000
Originally Posted By: hook_n_line

x2

Went Thursday/lunchtime:
- centerfire ammo bare, and nothing but shotguns and 22 plinkers left in long-guns Behind the counters;
-not to many people at gun counter;

I saw guns with "on hold" signs at lunch today. They were gone when I went back by to pick up some propane tanks this evening.

Went again today - Friday/lunchtime: - P A C K E D !!
- hardly any center-fire ammo, and NOW most buckshot and slugs are gone from shelves as well . . .. .;
- counters - PACKED with people, buying up the last of the shotguns and handguns.

Crazy man! . . . never seen the Academy look so bare . . . .
Posted By: Texpolo1106

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/29/12 12:53 AM

Stopped by the Lubbock store today for some .380, they only had a few boxes of the zombie ammo for $20. Decided to pass on that deal. They had a decent amount of shotgun ammo and odd ball rounds. The popular rounds were pretty picked over. Gun counter was busy though.
Posted By: Texsun

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/29/12 03:00 AM

Academy in Lewisville had no 12 ga. 3inch #4 today.
Posted By: LAstrutter

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/29/12 03:18 AM

It's crazy over here in Louisiana. Consumer panic at its best.You are out of luck if you want .223 rounds. It's getting hard to find any centerfire bullets now,including .22.
Posted By: blackcoal

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/29/12 03:49 AM

This morning I went by Academy in Sherman, was not interested in guns, just looked at ammo. Very bare, no 22 except for some 22 short match and several boxes of CB long. Out of 223, 9mm, 45acp, 357/38. About 2:00 on a hunch I called and asked, sales guy said some 22 was in so I went over. They had 22 in CCI AR tactical bulk and Choot em bulk. Also had .223 in American Eagle (Federal??) in the XM856 64gr tracer and 50gr tipped varmint. I tried to call some THF members to see if they wanted any but numbers I had were limited. Those I did reach were like myself and had all they wanted. I was going to buy any that people wanted and let them buy at store cost. I went on and got some spare but it was going quick. Pistol cartridges were back on the shelves but going fast.
Posted By: HOF

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/29/12 04:54 AM

I dropped by the one in Wichita Falls tonight. Counter had 20 people deep buying guns. They had a full display of handguns. Centerfire ammo shelves mostly bare. No .223 and only a dozen boxes of $40 .308. I scored a bulk box of 9mm but that was it.

Blows my mind the shear volume of ammo and arms sold this past week.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/29/12 05:02 PM

I went to the Academy in Corpus Christi on Thursday. They actually had a decent amount of ammo left, but it was pretty amazing to see all of the empty space on the shelves.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/30/12 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By: sillyhorses
Jeez, I was just at Academy in Victoria and the ammo selection was pretty slim. Groups of people standing there all looking for their certain calibers most of which were sold out. No-one knows whats going to happen with new laws, so they were all stocking. I'm sure the stores like to cut their inventory this time of year, but this was empty shelves.

I noticed the bare ammo shelves at 2 different Academy locations in DFW beginning back in September. The lack of shot shells for typical hunting needs just didn't make sense. I asked one of the salespersons if this was all they had and he indicated that it was. While looking at decoys I noticed a huge amount of ammo piled up on pallets. I started digging through and found the cases of the shells that I was looking for. I figured they were just re-arranging inventory and didn't think anything about it. I went to a different Academy a week or 2 later and encountered the exact same scenario except that I didn't bother to ask a salesperson and went straight to the big shelves in back to find the shells. The situation has not changed at either store as of last week. They still have same amount of shelf space (half empty) for ammo yet they keep it all piled up in cartons on pallets in the back by decoys and dog gear. I was just looking for shot shells but there was plenty of other ammo as well. I have no idea why they started doing this and wonder how many people have walked out empty handed when they did not find the ammo they were looking for on the shelves. Defies logic but I don't think it has anything to do with a run on ammo.
Posted By: ndhunter

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/30/12 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Texsun
Academy in Lewisville had no 12 ga. 3inch #4 today.

Next time you go, look in the big racks in back by decoys and dog gear.
Posted By: floresrsr

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/30/12 07:57 PM

up
Posted By: TexasPrincess

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/31/12 03:03 AM

We actually just got home from Academy here in San Antonio. The shelves are empty. We were able, between 4 people and 2 stores, to get 1500 rounds of .223 the other day. However it surprises me that this has not limited itself to just the "assault" rifle ammo. I can't find 25-06 ammo to save my life.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/31/12 03:18 AM

I noticed today the main thing left in shelves were 22 mag 17 hmr 7mm 300 win and that's about it with decent quantity

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/31/12 05:19 PM

This morning at 9:15 I saw two ar-15, Colts, taken out of box and sold for % $1200. Fellows could not get their billfolds out quick enough. They are probably selling them for $2500 right now. All I bought were a couple of Pmags. You snooze you lose.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/31/12 05:21 PM

Forgot, to mention that was at Academy. They had Hornady 223, 50 rd boxes for $29.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/31/12 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasPrincess
We were able, between 4 people and 2 stores, to get 1500 rounds of .223 the other day. However it surprises me that this has not limited itself to just the "assault" rifle ammo. I can't find 25-06 ammo to save my life.

You realize the complete irony of your post right? The stores in San Antonio are not equipped to sell 4 people 1500 rounds of anything and still have stuff on the shelves for other customers!
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: empty shelves at academy - 12/31/12 05:51 PM

We were able, between 4 people and 2 stores, to get 1500 rounds of .223 the other day. However it surprises me that this has not limited itself to just the "assault" rifle ammo. I can't find 25-06 ammo to save my life.

You realize the complete irony of your post right? The stores in San Antonio are not equipped to sell 4 people 1500 rounds of anything and still have stuff on the shelves for other customers!

Will you just quit making sense! We have a shortage here and we have to buy every freaking piece of ammo that exist. bang You do know whats gonna happen right? Well, let me tell you! Y2K, carp that didnt happen. Ummm, there was that one comet, oops didnt happen either. Well, Nostradaumis said it was ending, errr I forgot he was wrong. Oh yeah the Mayan Calander! Cr@p, we passed it. OK I give up hammer

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/01/13 12:41 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Will you just quit making sense! We have a shortage here and we have to buy every freaking piece of ammo that exist. bang You do know whats gonna happen right? Well, let me tell you! Y2K, carp that didnt happen. Ummm, there was that one comet, oops didnt happen either. Well, Nostradaumis said it was ending, errr I forgot he was wrong. Oh yeah the Mayan Calander! Cr@p, we passed it. OK I give up hammer

Yep there has never been a gun ban before.....There is no talk of an extremely harsh ban right around the corner. To include but not limited to anything that accepts a magazine. Yep nobody is proposing any type of ban and there has never been one before, total paranoids. The media is not out there harping for one everyday either. I give up too.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/01/13 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: TF Panther
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Yep there has never been a gun ban before.....There is no talk of an extremely harsh ban right around the corner. To include but not limited to anything that accepts a magazine. Yep nobody is proposing any type of ban and there has never been one before, total paranoids. The media is not out there harping for one everyday either. I give up too.

Gun ban, who was talking about a gun ban? I believe we were referencing ammo and the fact people think they need 15,000 rounds of it.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/01/13 01:48 AM

Didn't you know they were banning .223 ammo as well as all hand gun ammo too? Its all going away , hurry......buy it while you can, buy it by the thousands!!!!!!

Geez..........
Posted By: Tatsun

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/01/13 02:17 AM

I thought this was funny, so I wanted to share.

So, I went to buy some .223 ammo at Academy and they were sold out. A guy there told me to check Sports Authority as they had some 5.56, so I head over there. As Im waiting for the employee to pull the ammo for me, I notice they have a MOSSBERG .22 that is styled after an AR-15. I thought this was odd, as at Academy they were completely sold out of anything remotely that resembled an AR-15, and even at Sports Authority they had no AR's either, all sold out. Either way, my neighbors had been looking for one of these MOSSBERG .22's to give to their little boy for Christmas. So I call her up to let her know, "Hey they have one of those rifles you have been looking for". Well, thats when the guy behind the counter proceeds to tell me that the gentleman standing there filling out a background check was buying it as well as another, the last 2 they had. I asked the guy filling out the form if he would be willing to pass on one of the 2 they had, so my neighbors little boy would have what he wanted for Christmas, and he replied with a sarcastic, "NO", and went about ignoring me completely. I noticed that the guy filling out the form seemed like he had never done it before by the way he kept asking about the questions, nor do I think the guy ever owned a gun, simply by some of the questions he was asking about "clips", "bullets", and if the gun came with a "silencer".
Well, as the other employee is walking me to the front of the store to pay for my ammo (Sports Authority policy), I ask him about how fast they sold their guns and we started talking. He proceeded to tell me that it was people like the guy that was filling out the form that had bought all the guns, people that never owned a gun before, or just wanted an AR because of all the attention thinking they would be banned or they looked cool. He also proceeds to tell me, that the guy buying the little .22's also asked for 10 boxes of .223 ammo for his new gun. Its apparent the dude was buying the last two little .22's just because he thought they were real AR-15's, and was buying them just to have them. The employee told me how hard it was for him to keep the chuckles inside. I couldnt help but roll my eyes.

I am all for people exercising their 2nd amendment rights, but at least do it informed and educated, and its people like this guy that do get under my skin a bit.
I mean, before Christmas, I had 4 boxes of .223 ammo in my shopping cart on the BASS PRO website, and left them in my shopping cart until my wife and I decided to finalize it before Christmas. Low and behold, all this gun debate crap started up, and when I finally check-out a week later, I find out that now my .223 ammo is on backorder. GRRRRRR

This is why I am going to start reloading my own ammo...something I should have done a long time ago.
Posted By: nice shot

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/03/13 08:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Tatsun

This is why I am going to start reloading my own ammo...something I should have done a long time ago.

100% agreed
Posted By: nice shot

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/03/13 08:55 PM

Maybe you dont understand the post. . . .223 is something everyone wants. .25-06 is something a few people want. . .

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/15/13 06:55 PM

If you guys have not been paying attension everything is on the table.....Ammo too. Wal Mart just said they will not be restocking ammo until the Gov announces it's plans......This was just after they met with the VP. Considering the guy threatening executive orders once proposed a 500% tax on ammo I guess the paranoids have a chance at being right this time. Get your popcorn ready this is getting intresting.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/15/13 10:01 PM

Yep, just at the Victoria academy again this noon. Basically nothing there but a few boxes of premium shells. The store might as well stock another line of clothing to stock these bare shelves 'cause I don't think we'll be seeing them restocked anytime soon. Bummer.
Posted By: TheLefthander

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/15/13 10:08 PM

Just got back from Academy in Tyler. Nothing but shotgun shells to be found. No .22, no .223, no 9mm, no 40mm, no .357, no .44, and on and on. Shelves are completely blank. Half the handgun displays are empty. Obviously no ARs, although one guy walked up while I was there and asked if they had any,...Smartass clerk said "If I did, I could get $10,000 for it."
Strange times.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/15/13 10:11 PM

just got back from the hardware store....had boxes and boxes of every calibler i own....
Posted By: RobertY

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/15/13 10:12 PM

Originally Posted By: TheLefthander
Strange times.

They are sick of being asked, just like we are sick of asking.

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/15/13 10:53 PM

This is our wonderful government at work. I would think our elected officials would have thought this through vs. fueling a gun buying frenzy. Sad part is a responsible gun owner like me can't find ammo for my 9 year olds .223 single shot rifle. Luckily I have a few rounds in the safe.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/15/13 11:42 PM

dwalls all I have is 5.56 or I would gladly trade you some.
Posted By: 12buckaroo

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/16/13 12:30 AM

Yep, been to several academy stores in the Fort Worth area this week looking for 308 and 243 ammo. Slim pickens and ugly faces were all that was to be found. The mad rush is on!!

Re: empty shelves at academy - 01/16/13 12:37 AM

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
dwalls all I have is 5.56 or I would gladly trade you some.

appreciate that. maybe the frenzy will die down after bozo anounces his proposal tomorrow
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum