Texas Hunting Forum

Now this is getting rediculous

Posted By: txtrophy85

Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:09 AM

I don't mind turkeys, I'm not a turkey hunter, but I appreciate them for what they are(big dumb birds).

I enjoy seeing them, but at corn prices being what they are, something's gotta give.

This was about half of the turkeys I saw this evening

Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:14 AM

I love those big dumb birds, especially baked grin
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:14 AM

I can sympathize with your position, corn prices being what they are. Still....I think that is a beautiful sight.
Posted By: AkihiroKytori

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:16 AM

I'm sure the turkey hubters out there are very jealous!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:26 AM

Corn Buzzards is what I call them and I don't care to see them.
Posted By: ju993rnaut

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:32 AM

Gotta manage that turkey herd.
Posted By: aeb

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:44 AM

Used to see flocks like that on the ranch often. Had to quit farming on sandy wheat field because they would harvest much of the crop before it ever gat started. Not like that today. frown
Posted By: cmc

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 03:04 AM

When you throw corn on the ground don't you think everything is gonna eat it. Not the turkeys fault corn is $10 and you poured it in their house. Nice flock too, I have em like that in Jack county in the fall.
Posted By: Brother in-law

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 03:05 AM

i hate turkeys
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 03:13 AM

rifle
Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: cmc
When you throw corn on the ground don't you think everything is gonna eat it. Not the turkeys fault corn is $10 and you poured it in their house. Nice flock too, I have em like that in Jack county in the fall.

X2
Posted By: hardheadeddoe

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 03:29 AM

looks like my lease.
Posted By: hornedfrog

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 04:18 AM

I wish my lease looked like that. Sounds goofy, but I would rather harvest a deer, but enjoy spring turkey season hunting more than deer hunting Not much better calling in a mature tom. Especially if he comes from far out and is vocal entire trip in.
Posted By: blancobuster

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 04:21 AM

I would not want a ton, but I like having some around. If they are that thick then invite some buddies out before deer season ends that are not into spring turkey hunting and let em tag out
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 04:42 AM

We had so many on a lease out by Bronte. A&M came out and rocket netted a bunch of them.
Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 05:02 AM

I have three nephews who would volunteer for turkey eradication.
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 05:11 AM

Thanksgiving dinner food

Never killed a turkey in the fall but love to call them in during the spring season.
Posted By: JDShellnut

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Corn Buzzards is what I call them and I don't care to see them.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 01:46 PM

Originally Posted By: txtrophy85
I don't mind turkeys, I'm not a turkey hunter, but I appreciate them for what they are(big dumb birds).

Turkeys can be shot as easily with a rifle as one might shoot and kill a cow. However, try killing one with a shotgun or bow without the aid of bait and you might change your opinion.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:27 PM

It's hard to keep turkeys away from your feeder. Maybe you just need more deer? smile
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:40 PM

I enjoy seeing them, but at corn prices being what they are, something's gotta give.

Its a sad sight to have a ranch with out turkeys.

They are not the only thing that will suck up all your corn; hogs, javalinas, coons, quail, cows, goats, crows.........hell I've even seen yotes crunc'n corn....

Enjoy the diversity, there is nothing worse than sitting in the stand and looking at dirt.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

They are not the only thing that will suck up all your corn; hogs, javalinas, coons, quail, cows, goats, crows.........hell I've even seen yotes crunc'n corn....

Enjoy the diversity, there is nothing worse than sitting in the stand and looking at dirt.

The birds can be the quickest to get to that feeder when it goes off in the morning. But at least they don't jump or climb up to the feeder, pull off your solar panel, destroy the timer and feeder unit, and empty the entire feeder like a large group of hogs and a few coons can do. Now those critters can really cost you some money.

Looks like you need to sell a few turkey hunts and get some payback for that feed you think your losing.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 04:03 PM

Hate Em!! Corn Stealing Ba****s, and they are Aggresive in our neck of the woods. I have seen them come in and run Deer off the Feeder
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 04:18 PM

I have had them run deer off in the hill country.

Glad we dont have them, but they can be pretty tasty eating! Breast them, cut cross grain and chicken fry is very tasty!

I would comence shooting them with every tag I had then call a friend.

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 05:46 PM

I would have shot them.....but they were all hens. Can't shoot hens in zavala county.

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

Don't have many javelinas, corn is gone by the time the coins get there, no cows, goats or crows either.
Posted By: alexrex20

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 05:51 PM

I bet you wish you hadn't killed all those yotes and cats. wink
Posted By: Bill Waldschmidt

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 06:53 PM

That's what it looks like out at our place. They eat all the corn and we can't possibly kill enough to put a dent in the population. It sucks, I hate them
Posted By: MikeBillington

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 07:55 PM

rofl
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/05/12 08:54 PM

Maybe you should change your name from TxTrophy to TxTurkey. They probably think you're their mother.

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Maybe you should change your name from TxTrophy to TxTurkey. They probably think you're their mother.

I'll change mine if you change yours to hiney pirate
Posted By: Rockstar.3345

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 03:07 AM

Wow, wish I had that many.
Posted By: RedHoss

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 05:08 AM

I would love to help you guys solve some of your over populated turkey problems. Would love to tag some of them.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 05:17 AM

We are covered at our place too. Dang nuisance. I keep a sling shot in the bow blind
Posted By: forthebirds

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 05:47 AM

I have been working south of san antonio for last few months and drive around the back roads most mornings as I work nights, everyday I see tons of birds on the sides of roads, standing in the road, they dont run off just stand there, I rolled up on a big group standing in the road and dang near bumped them, at that I stopped open the door and they walked into the ditch, didnt fly didnt run, the birds down here think they own the place.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: LandPirate

I'll change mine if you change yours to hiney pirate

rofl

You make me laugh.
Posted By: THawk_4

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 04:50 PM

I'd love to see some Turkey on my place... they just aren't out there confused2
Posted By: FISHUNTER

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/06/12 06:08 PM

Turkey Trotlines.... bolt
Posted By: Finfeathernfurr

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/07/12 06:22 AM

Singleshot I would 20 a bag if it ment quail coming back around lol. I am headed to black gap next week just to find a few birds. As far as turkey I grew up on a place with a live creek and turkey every were. I NEVER shot one I hate eating them so I didn't kill them.
Posted By: Dugie

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/07/12 06:54 AM

Wow
Posted By: USMCatfish

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/07/12 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: hornedfrog
I wish my lease looked like that. Sounds goofy, but I would rather harvest a deer, but enjoy spring turkey season hunting more than deer hunting Not much better calling in a mature tom. Especially if he comes from far out and is vocal entire trip in.

x2

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/07/12 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Finfeathernfurr
Singleshot I would 20 a bag if it ment quail coming back around lol. I am headed to black gap next week just to find a few birds. As far as turkey I grew up on a place with a live creek and turkey every were. I NEVER shot one I hate eating them so I didn't kill them.

I would drown every turkey in the lake if it meant the quail comming back. Back in those days we didn't have a lot of turkey, would only see a few a year.

Between my and my neighbor I would say we have a resident turkey population of close to 300 birds
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/07/12 11:57 PM

In Brady we have to have the feeder go off early then 20 minutes later to deal with the Turkeys they run the deer off
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 02:52 AM

So uh...how much you charging for a spring turkey archery hunt? smile
Posted By: tightlines24

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 04:10 AM

Turkeys aren't the problem. I would say only relying on feeding the deer is the problem. I have spent time learning their travel patterns and set up accordingly. Saw 13 bucks opening weekend and haven't spent a penny on corn. By the way, I saw between 200-300 turkeys this last weekend also and they weren't eating corn either.
But good luck with your turkey problem. Maybe you could set your feeder to throw less corn but do it more often.
Posted By: Hoytman

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 12:19 PM

Willing 2 buy lots of corn in the fall for a turkey hunt in the spring! Love turkey hunting. Any of u guys that hate them turkeys let me know if u want to trade.
Posted By: Buckmaster9000

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 12:43 PM

Come spring time if you still have that problem I will gladly lend a helpful hand in controlling the population for you....
Posted By: Buckmaster9000

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 12:43 PM

x2

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: tightlines24
Turkeys aren't the problem. I would say only relying on feeding the deer is the problem. I have spent time learning their travel patterns and set up accordingly. Saw 13 bucks opening weekend and haven't spent a penny on corn. .

oh, please sir, please tell me how to hunt deer. the 75 or so I have killed must have been accidents.

We here at the THF need to know how to do it according to the gospel you shall put forth

Posted By: shayne38

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 04:39 PM

hey I will come out and help you take a few of them out with the holidays coming and 6 kids to feed... lol
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: tightlines24
Turkeys aren't the problem. I would say only relying on feeding the deer is the problem. I have spent time learning their travel patterns and set up accordingly. Saw 13 bucks opening weekend and haven't spent a penny on corn. .

oh, please sir, please tell me how to hunt deer. the 75 or so I have killed must have been accidents.

We here at the THF need to know how to do it according to the gospel you shall put forth

^^I knew this was coming. ^^
Posted By: vanguard

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 06:10 PM

quit shooting all your yotes and cats, oh wait that doesnt help us either.
were only allowed bearded corn theifs, sigh....
Posted By: tightlines24

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 07:14 PM

Sorry to offend. Was not my intent. Just wanted to state that there were other ways to be successful with out having to worry about your corn being eaten by unwanted guests. I wish you the best of luck and hope you can find a way to solve the problem you have.
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 07:29 PM

Box some of those turkeys up and send them my way. We haven't seen a turkey yet.

Re: Now this is getting rediculous - 11/08/12 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: vanguard
quit shooting all your yotes and cats, oh wait that doesnt help us either.
were only allowed bearded corn theifs, sigh....

we haven't shot either in quite a few years.

problem is we have alot of bottom with big mesquites and my neighbor feeds a gazillion pounds of protein to his deer herd so they go get fat over there and then come roost over at our place.

we can only shoot bearded ones. its a drag
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum