Texas Hunting Forum

Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!!

Posted By: Armalite260

Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/21/12 06:35 PM

This is how my Saturday morning of hunting started. I was in my pop up around 5:45 Saturday morning. Plenty of time to relax and catch a cat nap. Well, around 6:30 I hear my pop up slowly starting to unzip!! I jump up grab my pistol and flashlight, as I turn around someone's head is already in my blind. I turn on my light stick my 10MM in his face and invite him in to chat. Need less to say he turned inside out getting out of there. I heard when he ran into the barbed wire fence then silence. I figured my hunt was finished so I got out of my stand and found that this sorry jack wagon left me a gift. A new Mathews Z7 Xtreme totally tricked out 6 carbon express arrows tipped with grim reapers. Plus a backpack with ranger finder, 3 knives and sharpener, and the best part.... His hunting license!!! Seriously I was LMAO!!

Now I figure that cost him a little cash and I figure he'll back.. So I picked up my pop up, and my game cameras lord knows what he'd do to them when he finds out I kept his belongings. Before I kissed my feeder goodbye I taped a letter explaining I had his things and I'd be more than happy to return them, all he had to do was call me.. I'd arrange a place to meet just he, I, and the game warden or sheriff. I went on to say I knew who he was and if my feeder was damaged I'd be knocking on his door.. To make sure he believed me I left one of his tags in the zip lock bag.

That's the first time something like this has happened to me.. Let me tell you it was one heck of a wake up call.. I'll keep you updated on if I hear from this DB!
Posted By: erniejs

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:39 PM

holy smokes
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:40 PM

Wow!!! That would not be a way I would want to start my morning hunt. What a db...hope you hear from him soon rofl

I would turn his stuff over to the GW or sheriff and let them deal with it
Posted By: mmj76621

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:42 PM

WOW THAT WAS A WAKE UP CALL GOOD LUCK , HOPE THINGS TURN OUT WELL IM CURIOUS SO KEEP ME POSTED ON THIS ,BE SAFE
Posted By: Txtrapper10

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:44 PM

That would scare the living shiz out of me! Thats crazy
Posted By: Hooligan

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:45 PM

so how much are you selling the bow for?
Posted By: killin_it

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:45 PM

That's probably the best thing to do in that situation. Make it suck to be that guy.
Posted By: target1911

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:46 PM

Holy cow!!!!!!! What a d-bag. That will wake you up for sure. That was one expensive trespass event for him, not to mention the barbed wire encounter.

BTW. Im in need of a range finder.
What county is it?
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:52 PM

That is awesome. However, I wouldn't return his stuff if I was you. What is he gonna do...call the police and say he was trespassing and dropped his stuff? LOL! I'm sure his gear cost much more than any trespassing ticket will cost...I doubt you'll ever hear from him.

Is this a private lease or your own land? Surely there is more to the story if he thought no one would be there....
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 06:55 PM

Local guy? I hate poachers. Of course he's out about $600+ in gear at this point. Serves him right.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: DocHorton
That is awesome. However, I wouldn't return his stuff if I was you. What is he gonna do...call the police and say he was trespassing and dropped his stuff? LOL! I'm sure his gear cost much more than any trespassing ticket will cost...I doubt you'll ever hear from him.

Is this a private lease or your own land? Surely there is more to the story if he thought no one would be there....

This is private land that I've been hunting for a couple of years now. Hardly any deer, but a ton of hogs.. At one time I thought someone else had been in my blind, things were left differnt. But I have camera's every where, and never caught him. I'll keep you in the loop if I hear from him.
Posted By: Huntsmanda

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 07:02 PM

Yes! Sorry about your hunt but it's GREAT to hear a story that goes against the poacher or thief. Definitely keep us up to date.

Ranger On...
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 07:21 PM

Keep us updated, glad things turned out with him running. It could have gone REALLY bad.
Posted By: mikey1313

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 07:22 PM

I was thinking that was going to happen to me this morning after hearing people talk till 630 last night about 200 yards from my pop up... Needless to say there was a pistol with me this morning
Posted By: texfork

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 07:34 PM

What county ?
Posted By: TxCase73

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 07:56 PM

I'd go ahead and let the GW know. No sense in handling this on your own, man. That's what they are paid to do.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 08:10 PM

That drips awesomeness!! I wouldn't give him a damm thing back, why would/should you?
Posted By: Wild Hog

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 08:41 PM

Cool story. Score 1 for the good guys.
Posted By: Rockinmyshoe

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 08:49 PM

Post up all his info maybe everybody should know who he is. A little embarrassment
Might help him mend his ways.
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 08:56 PM

Awesome, I agree that you should post his info. Heck, I would scan his license and post it for anybody to use as they see fit!
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 09:14 PM

I would send him a Christmas card posing with the biggest thing you kill this season....and HIS BOW! regardless of if it was rifle or bow killed.

Then another of you gutting it with his knife; if you really wanted to mess with his head get his address from the tags and see if you can get one of the local sheriffs dept to pose at the local street corner pointing at his house with the range finger....

58yds to your front door....Man this thing is accurate!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 09:21 PM

trout hammer
Posted By: SMitchell462

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 09:35 PM

I bet he is still cleaning his drawers out...lucky he didnt get shot..
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 09:55 PM

Sounds like the early bird caught the worm.
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 10:49 PM

At the very least it looks like he's done hunting this year. Make sure you contact the GW ASAP so he can flag him so he can't go get a replacement liscense. Hopefully he runs him in.... Stuff... what stuff...
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 10:50 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Wow!!! That would not be a way I would want to start my morning hunt. What a db...hope you hear from him soon rofl

I would turn his stuff over to the GW or sheriff and let them deal with it

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 11:12 PM

Yeah I would edit this post and remove any reference to the stuff you found.
Posted By: rtp

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 11:13 PM

That has to be the best poacher/tresspasser story ever. Im glad you were prepared.
Posted By: kamolaw

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 11:14 PM

Would be best for him to lick his wounds, forget the gear because it sounds like his gear doesn't quite total up to the $2000 dollar fine, and hope like hell you maintain your sense of humor and don't turn him in. Best advice I can think of is let the local GW know who he is, what has happened, and am sure he or she will be more than glad to explainj to him the error of his ways... that way if you have any more future dealings with the fool you will have some type of documentation in place if it goes further south...btw abandoned gear is free gear... he has no legal standing to claim the abandoned gear.
Posted By: mark in tx

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 11:19 PM

Let the game warden or sheriff deal with him, and hand over all that gear to them. Ill gotten gains work both ways, and sooner or later he might get a bit of bottled courage and come looking for his stuff.
Posted By: jhenderson

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 11:30 PM

wow, people have some nerve. if that stuff needs a new home I will gladly take a hand out.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/21/12 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: target1911

Don't worry about his stuff. He abandoned it. Cool story.
Posted By: Core-Lokt

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 12:00 AM

Oh, you know this guy is seriously stressing, right now!
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By: target1911

Why? The poacher/trespasser has no legal standing whatsoever to get it back. Why be a nancy boy?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 12:10 AM

Bet there will be some really green grass down that trail he left on next spring.
Posted By: ar-15hunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 12:11 AM

thats how accidents happen
Posted By: AlaskaCub

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 12:26 AM

Although a bit spooky, it sounds like a heck of a Christmas morning to me!
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 12:51 AM

Nothing to gain from turning in his items. They will just tell you it winds up in a state auction only to be bought by a bargain hunter that resells on a forum like this. I would turn in the incident information and Hunting license a crime was committed and may be used as evidence, although proving how you came about it would be questioned by defense. No winners here

Good to hear all came out OK with you, Take Care brother
Posted By: kagomez85

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:04 AM

This is insane i have never heard of someone doing this, you definitely stayed calm, i would have freaked out that guy was real close to getting shot, but yea i would have a new matthews and still turn the guy in. I cant believe you didnt shoot.Thank god it would have scared the crap out of me.
Posted By: Bear Charge

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:26 AM

Glad you were aawake enough not to let a round fly.
Posted By: DeerTamales

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:30 AM

Man that's crazy. Glad it turned out with nobody getting hurt or killed. Losing his gear is the price he paid for being a trespasser. He's lucky that's all it cost him.

Keep us posted.
Posted By: C'mere

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:48 AM

Just playing devils advocate, what happens if the guy decides to make a report that his bow and arrows, along with his backpack containing his hunting license was stolen? Now the tables could be turned against the OP.

I hate trespassers, thieves, and dbags, but the OP needs to think about the the worst that could happen in an incident like this.
Posted By: BBD84

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:48 AM

Well Im going to need my Bow and other stuff back if you dont mind, LOL In all seriousness glad you got his stuff and hope he gets caught by the law.
Posted By: SpoonPlatoon

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:00 AM

Turn the license in and keep the rest.
Posted By: nsmike

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:01 AM

Your not thinking about this right. Correct me if I'm wrong, when you zipped it up and took a nap, it became an dwelling just like a tent. I'm pretty sure that TX treats a temporary shelter the same as a house if you sleep in it. I believe that he could be facing felony charges if you call the sheriff.
Posted By: Ringer1

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:13 AM

That would have scared me to death!

Think about if he just happened to be in the pop up when you got there. What would you have done then?
Posted By: Texsun

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:14 AM

It's already a felony if he crossed the property line with a weapon if I'm not mistaken.

It is with a gun.
Posted By: trogge

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:17 AM

Yea that guy needs to be kept from getting a license ever again. Good thing you brought your pistol.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:30 AM

X2 what scoop said......you need to let the local GW know. Could be they already have notes on this guy.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Scoop
At the very least it looks like he's done hunting this year. Make sure you contact the GW ASAP so he can flag him so he can't go get a replacement liscense. Hopefully he runs him in.... Stuff... what stuff...
Originally Posted By: kamolaw
Would be best for him to lick his wounds, forget the gear because it sounds like his gear doesn't quite total up to the $2000 dollar fine, and hope like hell you maintain your sense of humor and don't turn him in. Best advice I can think of is let the local GW know who he is, what has happened, and am sure he or she will be more than glad to explainj to him the error of his ways... that way if you have any more future dealings with the fool you will have some type of documentation in place if it goes further south...btw abandoned gear is free gear... he has no legal standing to claim the abandoned gear.
Originally Posted By: C'mere
Just playing devils advocate, what happens if the guy decides to make a report that his bow and arrows, along with his backpack containing his hunting license was stolen? Now the tables could be turned against the OP.

I hate trespassers, thieves, and dbags, but the OP needs to think about the the worst that could happen in an incident like this.

These 3 posts have ome good things to think about. I would be calling the local GW asap.
Posted By: Circleb41

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:45 AM

Dang it I believe I'd have to explain a dead body. When I heard the zipper I'd a started shootin
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:01 AM

wow
Posted By: Chris/HOU

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:35 AM

I'm not sure what my trigger finger would have done when I saw a head sticking in. All instinct at that point. Scary stuff!

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:47 AM

I looked it up, by TX law, both the carrying a dangerous weapon while trespassing and entering an occupied structure would be Class A Misdemeanors for Criminal Trespass. You would need, intent to steal, to upgrade to burglary and a felony charge.
Posted By: shaymac

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:49 AM

i think you shoulda at least shot a couple rounds out the window into the air or sumn.... itd b music to your ears hearing that much music out of a barbed wire guitar slinger eek2 rofl
Posted By: Up All Night

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:57 AM

Haha great story glad your alright serves him right nothin like a good birthday present.
Posted By: unclebubba

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 05:37 AM

Yes, call the GW ASAP. You have his license. When you turn that in to the GW, they have his address. If you just keep his stuff, and wait for him to contact you it might turn out bad. If he grows another pair of balls (he probably left his on the trail out of there), he may come looking for his stuff when you are there, and he may be better prepared for a confrontation.
Posted By: dawaba

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 10:12 AM

Do you pay to lease the property, or do you simply have the OK to hunt? Either way, it might be a good idea to check with your landowner to see if anyone else has permission to hunt this property.

Sounds like the guy is a tresspasser, but you never know.....
Posted By: TXHogger

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 10:51 AM

Originally Posted By: dawaba
Do you pay to lease the property, or do you simply have the OK to hunt? Either way, it might be a good idea to check with your landowner to see if anyone else has permission to hunt this property.

Sounds like the guy is a tresspasser, but you never know.....

actually a good point. otherwise, i think to keep you safe i would call the gw. it is amazing what criminals get away with nowadays.
Posted By: Mohawg

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 11:08 AM

Congrats, on the new Toys!
Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 11:56 AM

I am glad you are alright. I'm afreid I would have shot him.i would turn in his lic and back pack to the GW. I would not want to deal with this nut any more.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 12:22 PM

How much you want for that bow? grin
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:11 PM

Look I won't ever hunt your stand again, please can I have my bow back?
Posted By: DiverTexas

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:11 PM

That DB is lucky to be alive.
I'll be watching for an update.
Posted By: BowsnRods

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:27 PM

Sounds like you have a case of abandonment. He clearly left all that fine hunting equipment for your troubles and the disruption of your mornings hunt.
Posted By: JCG

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:28 PM

Wow, glad I wasnt in this situation. I tend to be rather grumpy and slow witted after a nap. Not sure what I would do with the gear, but I would definitely call the GW.
Posted By: janie

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:31 PM

Wow. Glad your okay. I don't believe you will ever see or hear from him again. Congrat's on the new bow.
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:39 PM

Wow, just Wow, glad it worked out in your favor!
Posted By: jdk1985

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:42 PM

If he was trespassing, I'd keep the gear in a heartbeat.

I'd definitely turn his license in to GW.

And, I'd definitely talk to the land owner, just to make sure he had not allowed anyone else to hunt out there.
Posted By: daniel1381

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:43 PM

bet he is still running like forest gump!

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:45 PM

atleast take a video of you dry firing the bow to show us what it does..lol jk
Posted By: East

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 01:52 PM

Dang this is crazy, so what happened?
Posted By: Hill Country Hunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:02 PM

Call the GW/Sheriff first thing this morning. Every second you hesitate is to the criminal's benefit. BTW what are the odds he is a member of THF and reading this forum? THF does have over 40 thousand members.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:03 PM

TURN HIM IN!

Check with the owner first, wouldnt surprise me at all to find out someone else got the ok to hunt out there. If thats the case all you "shoulda shot him fellas" would be singing a different tune.
Posted By: Bar G

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:04 PM

Wow!! I bet yall both had to change your pants.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:09 PM

should have put his gear in the middle of a hog infested area and covered it up in corn !! let the hogs do the rest

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:14 PM

Unless the property is crossfenced there is no reason for him to cross the fence. The guy was tresspassing and he knew what he was doing. I would like to know how long he has been hunting your stand and how many deer he has taken.

I would like to know what your landowner has to say about it.
Posted By: dfwroadkill

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:24 PM

Report it to the GW ASAP. Turn in all the stuff. If you wait, your credability shrinks. The suspect gains credability if he calls and reports his stuff stolen.

That's my .02...
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:30 PM

Why bother buying a hunting license if you are going to 'hunt' illegally.

Glad the good guy won on this one!

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
Why bother buying a hunting license if you are going to 'hunt' illegally.

That is what I was thinking

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:34 PM

Update folks! I stopped by the landowners and asked if she was letting anyone else hunt. Man, she got pissed to hear what happened and explained I was the only one with hunting rights! So, I called the game warden and sheriff and explained the situation. I met the game warden last night, I gave him everything that was left behind, bow, backpack and license. I could’ve kept it, but the game warden explained it could come back to haunt me. When he confronts the man, he’ll ask about his belongs and he said it’s easier if he says the state has it. I’ll be looking over my shoulder enough while I’m out there, I don’t want to make things worse.

In the end, he’ll get arrested for trespassing and the landowner will press charges – so better him than me. Just sucks that now I have to worry about possibly dealing with this idiot in the future.. I’m hoping for the best, but if I run into him again things will be different.
Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:36 PM

I think you handled it perfectly.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

x2.

I am curious to know where this happened - at least the county.
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:45 PM

Nice job.

Now if the unthinkable occurs and requires you to defend your life, you will have established a history as a reasonable citizen.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:46 PM

Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 02:46 PM

yep
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage

yep

up
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:07 PM

^^^ agree!

Im also glad you turned him in!

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Orn

yep

up

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:10 PM

should have least made sure his cams were well oiled with wd40..
Posted By: jrgocards

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:15 PM

One last question - do you have a concealed carry permit? If not, couldn't the GW have cited you for carrying a firearm during bowseason?

JR
Posted By: Seadog

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:16 PM

You did the right thing!!!

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:19 PM

yep

up
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Seadog
You did the right thing!!!

up
Posted By: deewayne2003

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: BowTech82ndAB
Update folks! I stopped by the landowners and asked if she was letting anyone else hunt. Man, she got pissed to hear what happened and explained I was the only one with hunting rights! So, I called the game warden and sheriff and explained the situation. I met the game warden last night, I gave him everything that was left behind, bow, backpack and license. I could’ve kept it, but the game warden explained it could come back to haunt me. When he confronts the man, he’ll ask about his belongs and he said it’s easier if he says the state has it. I’ll be looking over my shoulder enough while I’m out there, I don’t want to make things worse.

In the end, he’ll get arrested for trespassing and the landowner will press charges – so better him than me. Just sucks that now I have to worry about possibly dealing with this idiot in the future.. I’m hoping for the best, but if I run into him again things will be different.

You did the right thing often times such people are cowardly about their actions until they get the option for revenge.

Now if you run into this guy at the local store, bar, feedstore ect and he starts some nonsense you have documented your correct actions.

Keep us posted with a new thread if possible as this unfolds, you might just help another hunter deal with a problem they have in the future.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: jrgocards
One last question - do you have a concealed carry permit? If not, couldn't the GW have cited you for carrying a firearm during bowseason?

JR

I thought the same thing but I bet you the GW doesn't blame him one bit. I don't. I don't own a handgun but I have always thought that was a stupid law. If I had one I would dang sure carry it while hunting.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:45 PM

Awesome....and please keep us posted.
I might be inclined to put your pop up back in the same spot but also put another one near by on the same feeder. I would not hunt the old one but have it up to see if he comes back for revenge. I would be worried that he but a few bullet or arrow holes through it is why i would NOT be in it.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringer1

JR

I thought the same thing but I bet you the GW doesn't blame him one bit. I don't. I don't own a handgun but I have always thought that was a stupid law. If I had one I would dang sure carry it while hunting.

Yes I have a permit to carry, unlike the DB who messed up my hunt I go by the law!!
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:48 PM

Good call. Doing the right thing is always the best policy.
Posted By: Chuck McDonald

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:49 PM

Good going, think you handled it great. I might have given the GW everything but the bow, though. If the perp asked about it, I would be like, "What bow?"
Posted By: changedmyname

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:50 PM

You can carry on private property regardless right?

Good job calling the game warden. I was gonna say don't worry, he'll contact you after this post. wink
Posted By: Pittstate

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:50 PM

Don't want to high jack your thread, but can you legally carry a pistol with you during bow season in Texas? I know that you can't in Kansas or Oklahoma (unless the game wardens lied to me).
Posted By: dgilbert

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ringer1

JR

Yes I have a permit to carry, unlike the DB who messed up my hunt I go by the law!!

You did good!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 03:59 PM

I bet he chit his pants
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: iliketohunt

Good job calling the game warden. I was gonna say don't worry, he'll contact you after this post. wink

You can only carry during bow season if you have a chl and keep it concealed.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
Good going, think you handled it great. I might have given the GW everything but the bow, though. If the perp asked about it, I would be like, "What bow?"

PLUS 1
He could have dropped it ANYWHERE.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/22/12 04:17 PM

I bet this one makes the Game Warden Field Notes in a month or two.
Posted By: Stevarino

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:20 PM

A CHL allows you to conceal/carry on private property until legally advised you can not carry on a specific property. Non licensed can protect their home and their car.
Posted By: bigbuck1

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:22 PM

You did the correct thing. Now let the law handle the rest. Congs.
Posted By: LandPirate

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:27 PM

Keep in mind that if this idiot decides to act out some revenge, it's Retaliation, and in Texas it's a felony. Tampering with a Witness might also come into play.

I worked a similar case years ago. Man went to get in his tree stand only to find his toothless hillbilly neighbor was already in it. The man took the trespasser's gun and loaded him into the truck to take him to the gate where I was going to meet them. En route to the gate the trespasser bailed and ran home.

I went to the judge to get a warrant for his arrest. While I was doing that the idiot trespasser went back to the tree with a gallon of gas and a lighter.

I ended up getting additional warrants for him for Retaliation and Arson.
Posted By: Budgeteer

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:43 PM

Bravo!!!! Very well done.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 04:47 PM

Wow!!! I hate poachers..
Posted By: SwampHunterFw

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ChrisB

I Donno how that works because , what if you are now hunting hogs ?? You can carry or shoot them with whatever you want so pleanty of people carry a rifle an a bow with them bow for deer an rifle for hogs , should be the same with a pistol

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 05:46 PM

i bring a rifle everytime i go out with my bow...game warden said that is fine..if your going to poach you can do it yr round
Posted By: Scoop

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 06:30 PM

A few have said poachers don't need a liscence. Partly true - partly not. If you're going to get a mount, or have deer processed, it still has to be tagged. Plus, if you get stopped after hunting, (legal or otherwise) the GW may check your liscense / tags. Poachers may tag, but will just lie about where they shot it.

Great story. Please update us again if you hear anymore on the clown...
Posted By: Big Orn

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampHunterFw
Originally Posted By: ChrisB

I Donno how that works because , what if you are now hunting hogs ?? You can carry or shoot them with whatever you want so pleanty of people carry a rifle an a bow with them bow for deer an rifle for hogs , should be the same with a pistol
Originally Posted By: daniel1381
i bring a rifle everytime i go out with my bow...game warden said that is fine..if your going to poach you can do it yr round

Despite what the GW tells you, it is still unlawful to carry a firearm while bowhunting during deer season, except for those with a CHL.
Posted By: Don Dial

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 06:45 PM

You need to 1. Contact the Game Warden and turn over his possesions, 2. Go to the local JP/or have the property owner go
and file criminal trespass charges on the individual..

If you keep his junk, you become a correspondent in a crime..after the fact, and have yourself committed one by keeping
property you know not to be yours. Also, by informing the Game Warden and JP/Constable, it put this person on notice and he will
get a lot of attention he hadn't planned on..You'll not have to worry about his return of a license for a few years..Don
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Don Dial
You need to 1. Contact the Game Warden and turn over his possesions,

He did. It was in an update.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 07:21 PM

For Don.

Posted By: Bluegoose

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 07:44 PM

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 08:11 PM

up

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck McDonald
I might have given the GW everything but the bow, though. If the perp asked about it, I would be like, "What bow?"

Wrong way to handle it... frown
Posted By: lglidewell

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 08:28 PM

That is AWESOME!!!! I think you did the right thing and contact the authorities. Man I'd have loved to see his face when he spotted that pistol and the process of him closelining himself on that fence! smile
Posted By: GuidedHunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 08:51 PM

Were you on your own place? Bet you were glad you had that pistol. That is awesome tho. not that it matters but recently i heard that if you are bow hunting you are not allowed to have a gun with you of any kind if it is bow season that is. I am not saying that i agree with that, just what i heard.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 09:01 PM

@guilded

With a chl you can have a pistol
And the only time you can NOT have other guns with you is if you are deer hunting.
Posted By: fbchunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 09:14 PM

Good job on dealing with this mess
Posted By: ar-15hunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 09:38 PM

send the DB to jail and hope he gets his licences supended for a while too
Posted By: hoof n wings

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 11:21 PM

Oh, I would turn him in! I'd be calling the GW and letting him know.... sooner or later the guy or a buddy will be back for the feeder
Originally Posted By: kamolaw
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/22/12 11:24 PM

up Handled this the right way. As for having to worry about the idiot in the future, I'm sure the GW is going to chat with him on where they'll look first if you have any issues.

On another note, for him to leave that bow and other gear, makes me wounder if its stolen anyway. Hope the GW calls Mathews and runs the serial number. It would be sweet justice if that bow is stolen to make it back to the rightful owner.
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 12:45 AM

You did the right think and some good advise here on the THF. I think you may need to do one more thing, have the landowner file a formal trespass complaint. Then there will be official docs, just in case.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 01:38 AM

Did he happen to drop this too?

Posted By: gollygee

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 02:03 AM

Don't worry about this dirt bag coming back. He has already shown you what he is made of. I have been thru this with marijuana farmers. Slap him to the ground, give him your business card and invite him to give it his best shot.
Posted By: emilyee

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 02:30 AM

Holy cat!I like your this story.Very cool.
Posted By: shock_n_awe

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 03:40 AM

I would have to guess that the GW already has a bead on this guy. From your description alone I would assume with just a little leg work with the neighbors someone knows him or knows where he works.

I would almost bet ya the guys works on or near the property, or is a relative of one of the neighbors.

Either way, I bet that dude is doing anything but thinking about getting his stuff back. He's laying low......real low.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 04:01 AM

Never have had someone come in my stand while I was in it; have found folks in one before I got there, but lucky for them they thought they were hunting on public land (of course they were hunting out of a ground blind on the edge of a 2ac food plot w/ 2 feeders on it, but honest mistakerolleyes)

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 04:22 AM

Originally Posted By: SwampHunterFw
[quote=ChrisB][quote=iliketohunt]You can carry on private property regardless right?

Called my Gw last month and told me I could even spot light for hogs during deer season...

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 04:23 AM

You can spotlight for hogs 24/7/365.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 04:25 AM

Then what's the big deal about rifle during bow season...

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 04:26 AM

Originally Posted By: rifleman
You can spotlight for hogs 24/7/365.

True, but it's a waste of batteries before the sun goes down.

Lol

Solar powered light up

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 04:28 AM

Per the TPWD Annual

Archery and Crossbows

(see Artificial light in Restricted Methods section)

Only the archery and crossbow equipment prescribed in this section may be used for taking game animals or game birds. Archery and crossbow equipment may not be used to hunt deer during the Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season. It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun. NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 04:30 AM

Cool hunt on
Posted By: TxTechsan

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 01:10 PM

This is the best thread I have seen on here in a while. Aside from the immediate WTF is someone doing coming in my popup with me. After that it is gold!! DB soils himself as he is looking at the business end of a 10mm from point blank range, decides to hastily leave, while running in the dark hits a barb wire fence (nearly as much fun as staring down a pistol) gets over the fence and "makes it" only to realize he just left over $1000 worth of equipment and even better his license with name address and dl# at the scene of the crime. rofl
The only thing better will be to get an update of what comes of it for the trespasser from the Gamewarden.

This was handled the right way.
Posted By: Nridge47

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 02:54 PM

lmao what an idiot, serves him right
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 03:10 PM

Kudos to the OP cheers you did the right thing. I just hope we get an update someday about the DB getting caught up
Posted By: PMK

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 03:24 PM

yep, seems like you handled this appropriately!!! Great reading and pondering if I would have had such great restraint under similar circumstances... good job!

likewise, I don't think I would use that pop-up blind for a while and would put up another one over same feeder a bit more hidden / less noticible ...
Posted By: wall8053

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 06:24 PM

Quality entertainment! Glad everything worked out and hope to hear the final story on the criminal.
Posted By: grb

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 09:35 PM

The knucklehead spent so much money on his gear he couldn't afford a lease. haha. Maybe he learns from his mistake. Great story.
Posted By: redundeadd

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 11:25 PM

Wow! Bet hell think twice about hunting someones stand
Posted By: redundeadd

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 11:25 PM

The sorry sob is probly reading your post
Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/23/12 11:29 PM

I think you should just let the whole thing and give him his gear back. He is probably a really nice guy and totally sorry about it.....

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 01:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas Heat
I think you should just let the whole thing and give him his gear back. He is probably a really nice guy and totally sorry about it.....

Well you got the sorry part right one sorry individual.
Posted By: DocHorton

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip

Per the TPWD Annual

Archery and Crossbows

(see Artificial light in Restricted Methods section)

Only the archery and crossbow equipment prescribed in this section may be used for taking game animals or game birds. Archery and crossbow equipment may not be used to hunt deer during the Muzzleloader-Only Deer Season. It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun. NOTE: A firearm may be possessed in camp, in a motor vehicle, or while hunting lawful game other than whitetail or mule deer and turkey (e.g., exotics, feral hogs, squirrels).

I don't see anything in there that says you can't be hunting for more than one species at the same time with two different methods.
Posted By: senko86

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 02:30 AM

Helluva job up
Posted By: Texas Heat

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: nsmike

LOL I was just fishing for funny post, I hope they fry the guy.
Posted By: Cody Malone

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 03:43 AM

Wow!

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 02:31 PM

Originally Posted By: nsmike

LOL I was just fishing for funny post, I hope they fry the guy.

I thought you were being sarcastic, but I couldn't resist calling him what he is, SORRY! wink
Posted By: Gt88stang

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 04:43 PM

I have caught people on camera getting into my stands but never while i was in it. You handled this the right way.
Posted By: blancobuster

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 05:11 PM

that bow was probably stolen from someone else, thats why he dropped it and ran, didn't want to get caught with stolen property if you called the law. I would call the game warden.
Posted By: longhorn_cop

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/24/12 11:56 PM

So who was the DB?
Do tell
Posted By: donswin

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/25/12 07:33 PM

He probably will stay far away. It would be interesting to hear his conversation with the game warden about getting his stuff back. After all, it is evidence in a crime.

His season is blown. Maybe more than just this one.

Good way to handle it. You can live with yourself much better that way.
Posted By: WTGuide

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/25/12 08:35 PM

Now that's funny...I don't care who you are!
Posted By: Troutfisch

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/25/12 09:02 PM

Haha, you caught that sucker with both hands in the cookie jar!

Great story, thanks for sharing. +1 for the honest hunters!
Posted By: daulongranch

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 10/26/12 04:37 AM

"It is unlawful to be in possession of a firearm while hunting with a broadhead HUNTING point during the Archery-Only season, except a person licensed to carry a concealed handgun in Texas may carry a concealed handgun."

This is what makes it illegal to be carrying a firearm while bow hunting. The "NOTE" won't stop you from getting a citation.
Posted By: rebeltex

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/26/12 06:06 AM

Man, I always carry a gun when bow hunting, but knowing the pranksters I hunt with woulda thought that maybe one was coming by to get a chaw, had it happen before, and yes, scared the mess outta me. not sure what i woulda done in your situation, you definitely alot cooler than i woulda been when not recognizing the face poking through the popup, nerves of steel bro.....or maybe half asleep,either way.....
Posted By: rebeltex

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/26/12 06:21 AM

carry and have a CHL, got checked on Gus Engling WMA one year, produced proper documentation and all was good, game warden asked if i had any luck, was not concerned about a firearm, and said it was a good idea due to hogs on WMA.....
Posted By: artrios60

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/26/12 01:26 PM

popcorn
A thread with almost 7000 views. Alot of views and opinions
Enjoying this one for sure
Posted By: west texas ford

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/26/12 03:02 PM

I cant imagine what i would do, except clean out my pants. hope i never have to find out. Good job turning everything over to the GW.
Posted By: scott01

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/26/12 04:21 PM

Read the whole thread and haven't seen this mentioned. Glad you got the landowner involved as well to let them know what happened. I would hope that the landowner would contact the adjacent landowner, from the side where the trespasser fled to, and let them know what took place as well. That's assuming the GW didn't already have a discussion with them. Would be interesting to find out if the trespasser on your property actually owned the other property or a paid hunter. If that's the case, I would hope that landowner kicked him off the property. But then again, maybe he trespassed onto that land to gain access to yours. Lots of variables here but that's the sure way to make sure he doesn't come back. I can't stand folks who don't follow the laws and trespass or take game illegally.
Posted By: fishhuntgolfgeek

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/27/12 12:48 PM

Good thread. I read all the posts. Turning in the items to the GW and reporting it to the sheriff is the right thing to do. Good job on that. I still can't believe someone would trespass and use a blind expecting not to encounter the rightful owner. This amazed me. Lucky he didn't get shot. BTW...I also am a CHL and carry during bow season. It is legal to do. I only carry to protect myself from danger and not to hunt with.
Posted By: Sniper

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/27/12 02:27 PM

You did right turning in his stuff and not dropping to his level. Possession of his property would be Theft even though he dropped it and ran away. Several responded to keep it its abandoned. Not true. If he drove a vehicle onto your property and abandoned it when he got caught you couldn't keep and drive it could you? No.
My advise to anyone that if a simular situaton was to happen to them in the future. Leave the property where he dropped it and immediately call the GM or Sheriff. Let them respond to collect or direct you on what to do with the evidence/property. Photograph the scene also. Everyone has a cell phone that takes photos. Remember Protect yourself. What if this guy would had immediately contacted Law Enforcement and reported an armed robbery? See where im going with this. Yes he was trespassing but he could claim that he got lost and was tring to find his way home. It could cost you thousands of dallars to defend yourself just because you delayed and didn't contact Law Enforcement immediately. I guarentee his attourney would ask you why did you wait so long to report the incident. It will be his word against yours.
Yes he was guilty and you did the right thing. I just don't want a person tring to do the right thing get the situation turned on them because they didn't act quickly enough.
Posted By: tth_40

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/27/12 02:53 PM

You did the right thing and handled it well. Good job!
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/28/12 06:16 PM

Should have hit him in the nose with the 10mm that will wake him up. You could not follow him to see where he came from?
Posted By: OneShotSam

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/28/12 07:49 PM

Sniper from your post is the exact reason I replied with the advise I gave the OP. In this world you never know.
Posted By: Clint1128

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/29/12 02:18 AM

This tread was intense ! Glad it ended letting the law handle it . I have a tempter, act then worry later . I would have messed up , but now you might see some deer with this loser not snooping around your hunting area ! What a sorry no good son of a gun , he's getting what he deserves .
Posted By: slow944

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 10/29/12 03:15 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but, My S-I-L worked in downtown Dallas at a law office and was going to work one morning, driving down Ross Ave, when a jaywalker ran into the side of her car. Made a big dent in the car door. She made sure he was ok and then went on to work, she called her insurance to tell them what happen and found out that the guy had reported her as a hit and run. There are some real DB's in this world. Glad to see you did the right thing. Who knows, if the guy doesn't clain his property you may end up with it by default.

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 08/05/13 01:22 AM

I was thinking about this story today. I would love to know the end result.
Posted By: Punkin

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 08/06/13 03:23 AM

Me Too!
Posted By: Dragonuv

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 08/06/13 03:24 AM

Me three
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/06/13 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Circleb41
Dang it I believe I'd have to explain a dead body. When I heard the zipper I'd a started shootin

yep... this is me... it would sound like this, ziiip... WHAT THE! FREE-BAM-BAM-BAM-ZE
Posted By: JJH

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/06/13 08:49 PM

Gosh, I hope not!

What if it were a buddy or family member?

Seems like somewhere along the line someone said something about knowing your target before you pull the trigger?
Posted By: BurrOak

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/06/13 09:22 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer
Originally Posted By: Circleb41

yep... this is me... it would sound like this, ziiip... WHAT THE! FREE-BAM-BAM-BAM-ZE

You must be one of those people who shoots at movement in the brush.
Posted By: mod10g

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/10/13 10:19 AM

Unbelievable!!!! People kill me with the stupid stuff they do.
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/10/13 01:24 PM

If I had to guess I bet nothing happend to the trespasser. Most of the time scum bags like that always walk free. Hopefully im wrong tho...
Posted By: gonefishing-2day

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/11/13 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog
Awesome, I agree that you should post his info. Heck, I would scan his license and post it for anybody to use as they see fit!

We have been having problems with people coming onto our place for years. They have stole our game cams,shoot hole in the feeder and stands. GW has tryed to catch them but no luck. Not saying I would keep his stuff but they would never be able to use it again.
Posted By: GuidedHunter

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/12/13 04:39 PM

Didn't this happen last year? I remember reading this story before. Anyways, hope your enjoying the bow.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/12/13 05:16 PM

Yes. Somehow someone resurrected the thread.
Posted By: My stand is pink camo

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/12/13 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: passthru

Looks like Ringer did it! Glad he did, I didn't see it last year. Would love to know if anything has happened
Posted By: MeanGreen85

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/12/13 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: My stand is pink camo
Originally Posted By: passthru

Looks like Ringer did it! Glad he did, I didn't see it last year. Would love to know if anything has happened

Same here.

Stories like this are exactly why I carry a handgun whenever I'm on my lease. You never know what or who you're going to run into.
Posted By: hunter 7

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/13/13 01:41 AM

I had a similar event happen last season. Right about prime shooting time a hunter walked right in front of my blind. When I confronted him he explained that he had been tracking a wounded deer and it had crossed our border fence. I guess I could have gotten mad, but instead decided to give him a hand in tracking the animal. I had no trouble finding the blood trail but could not locate the buck. However, several days later I picked up the trail again and after several hours of peaking under every bush I found his buck. He was so excited when I called him
Posted By: wellingtontx

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! UPDATE!! - 08/14/13 05:17 AM

The trespasser and poacher needed a good butt whooping. I hope he never got his stuff back.
Posted By: crstfr

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/14/13 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Bet there will be some really green grass down that trail he left on next spring.

lol
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/14/13 02:37 PM

My buddy caught someone in a deerstand once. The guy was trying to hide and did until my buddy nailed the door shut. Good thing the guy wasn't allergic to bees. We had a good meeting with him, the deputy and the land owner. He must have been in there for 7 hours or so. He was a local and now watches out for our place like his freedom depends on it.
Posted By: Shooter14

Re: Rude Awakening In The Deer Stand!! - A MUST read!!! - 08/19/13 12:36 AM

Unbelievable! The nerve of some people.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum