Posted By: Farmer45

Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 07:06 PM

?
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 07:07 PM

popcorn
Posted By: TurkeyHunter

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 07:18 PM

It is as good as eating an old goat that foraged for a living.
Posted By: godfather

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 07:21 PM

My wife and I love it. She lived in the Middle East and Spain growing up and I spent a bunch of time in the Middle East, guess we just got a taste for it. I would shoot an Aoudad for the meat every time my freezer got low if I could.
Posted By: Mohawg

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 07:35 PM

Mix it with pork, and grind it up into smoked links.
Posted By: John Pitts

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 08:18 PM

I brought home the backstraps of the only Aoudad I've taken back in January. I beat them with a tenderizing mallet,used a cubing device, applied meat tenderizer, marinated them for 3-4 days, then cooked them up, and they were still chewy. To be fair, they were from an 11 year old ram. I sure hope that the Mexican ranch hands who took the rest of the meat were able to make something edible out of them.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 08:20 PM

No.
Posted By: Triplesnake

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 08:23 PM

I've had sausage made out of the couple of young ones I've shot, and it was darn good. We were at a wild game dinner fund raiser in Llano a few weeks ago and they served some chicken fried cubes of aoudad from a good sized ewe and is was actually quite good too. And old ram? No, probably not.
Posted By: maximum

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 08:26 PM

tastes just like chicken
Posted By: nick_adams

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 09:28 PM

I have eaten five of them. Two yearlings, a three year old ewe, a four year old ewe, and a four year old ram. (two different hunting trips in two different areas).

They were all excellent. Really not much different than venison.

Maybe they get nasty if they are really old rams, but these were all really good.

I just handled them like all my animals-gutted them as soon as they hit the ground. Cooled them out as soon as I could, then skinned and quartered them and aged them on ice in an ice chest for several days.

I shared some of the meat with one of my cousins, and he prefers it to deer, antelope, and hog and keeps bugging me to shoot some more.
Posted By: txtrophy85

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 09:34 PM

i don't care for it.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 10:43 PM

I don't know. I got one for $1250. Want to go hunt one and lets find out?
Posted By: bassackwards dav

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 10:44 PM

I love em. I liked them cooked in slow cooker with onions its great .
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 10:48 PM

I've never eaten one, but my neighbors have, they said they're real chewy...I can cook an old boot in a crock pot and make it taste good. Just sayin'.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 10:49 PM

I have a buddy that shot a young ram and said it was the best game he had ever eaten. confused2
Posted By: Friction

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 10:52 PM

carp
Posted By: Farmer45

Re: Is aoudad any good to eat? - 09/20/12 11:15 PM

Haha thanks for all the help guys.. I had some show up on my lease down in sonora and was just wondering if I did get lucky enough that I should take the meat..heard the meat wasn't good so I figured Id get the professionals help.. And Curtis if I don't get one I might be calling you up sometime..Thanks again
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum